PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompsonís dad is taking his allowance away for getting in a fight

Guppyfighter
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2013/02/28/klay-thompsons-dad-is-taking-his-allowance-away-for-getting-in-a-fight/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is great.

justinnum1
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Good stuff. It's in his best interest.

JNoel
02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Lullz.

nickdymez
02-28-2013, 10:11 PM
You mean Mykal Thompson? His dad, The former number 1 pick in draft

ManRam
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM

Yes. It says it in the article. Second paragraph!

MrfadeawayJB
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
lol

Hellcrooner
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Taken by the blazers no less OVER Larry bird ?

:D

yep that mychal thompson

Htownballa1622
02-28-2013, 10:37 PM
@ 23 years old his dad is controlling his financial situation?

Wow. smh.

Can't handle his own money?

justinnum1
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Wow. smh.

how many 23 year old millionaires can?

b@llhog24
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Wow. smh.

How many Nba players can handle their money? Customs like this are common in the Bahamas.

netsgiantsyanks
02-28-2013, 10:47 PM
nice gesture by his parents.

Rndy
02-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Wow. smh.

Right because a lot of other NBA players can? I bet Iverson wish he had someone to do that.

Bowman53
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
This is embarrassing, but not surprising because Klay is as dumb as a rock.

Matrix3132
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Right because a lot of other NBA players can? I bet Iverson wish he had someone to do that.

Iverson has an nba pension paying him over $800k/yr and an account paying him another $30+ million when he's 50.

He's set up just fine

Hawkeye15
02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
funny, yet pathetic at the same time.

Rndy
02-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Iverson has an nba pension paying him over $800k/yr and an account paying him another $30+ million when he's 50.

He's set up just fine

I meant Marbury but right now Iverson isn't in the best place didn't he just lose his house?

Duncan = Donkey
02-28-2013, 11:13 PM
WTF? the guy is 23, how weird.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
WTF? the guy is 23, how weird.

that is why I said, funny, but pathetic. You don't think his dad saw, and sees, multiple NBA players piss their money away? Its sad honestly, but Klay comes from a different breed, his parents (Dad) made money. A ton of NBA players come from urban areas where they make nothing, and the first time they run into a lot of cash, they have zip idea what to do with it. So they spend it like it lights there pocket on fire.

sfattahian
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
I am so impressed he does that, but he'd be better off investing his money.

Still, I could never do that, I'd be too tempted to want all of it, so mad props to him.

Greedy22
02-28-2013, 11:17 PM

Wow. smh.

I have more respect for him being able to admit he needs financial guidance and not just blow his money like many athletes carelessly do.

Hopper15
02-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Embarrassing.. I feel for bad him this went public. Can you imagine the trash talk he'll get from his nba peers on the court.

LakersMaster24
02-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Smart idea.

heyman321
02-28-2013, 11:20 PM
that is why I said, funny, but pathetic. You don't think his dad saw, and sees, multiple NBA players piss their money away? Its sad honestly, but Klay comes from a different breed, his parents (Dad) made money. A ton of NBA players come from urban areas where they make nothing, and the first time they run into a lot of cash, they have zip idea what to do with it. So they spend it like it lights there pocket on fire.

So then why is it pathetic? Because he's 23? There are lots of idiot 23 year olds and older. I'd say that's a good dad.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
So then why is it pathetic? Because he's 23? There are lots of idiot 23 year olds and older. I'd say that's a good dad.

I agree to an extent, but there is a difference here. When you are 23, entering the business world, you know you are working that job, or something similar, for 30-40 years. When you enter the world of athletics, you know your career has a window of at best, 10-15 years. Not many 23 year olds are making that money, and lets be honest, most athletes are not very intelligent, versus a 23 year old who enters the business world, if he/she is making that type of money quickly, they are exponentially more intelligent than an athlete.

I mean its pathetic, in the respect that parents of kids that athletically talented have failed so miserably to get through to their kids that blowing through money like its candy is idiotic. The sad part? Most NBA/NFL athletes come from parents who have zero idea how to do it themselves.

Its a cycle. However, Klay did not come from a poor, uneducated household. His parents should have taught him better.

b@llhog24
02-28-2013, 11:50 PM
There's nothing wrong with positive reinforcement. Although the whole "drink wine in the car" deal is kind of sad.

Htownballa1622
03-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Sorry i'm just replying...

Yeah I get many NBA players or athletes have blown their money and I guess this is cool that he "allows" his dad to manage it but it's sad that's how it is.

Htownballa1622
03-01-2013, 01:05 AM
I agree to an extent, but there is a difference here. When you are 23, entering the business world, you know you are working that job, or something similar, for 30-40 years. When you enter the world of athletics, you know your career has a window of at best, 10-15 years. Not many 23 year olds are making that money, and lets be honest, most athletes are not very intelligent, versus a 23 year old who enters the business world, if he/she is making that type of money quickly, they are exponentially more intelligent than an athlete.

I mean its pathetic, in the respect that parents of kids that athletically talented have failed so miserably to get through to their kids that blowing through money like its candy is idiotic. The sad part? Most NBA/NFL athletes come from parents who have zero idea how to do it themselves.

Its a cycle. However, Klay did not come from a poor, uneducated household. His parents should have taught him better.

That's what I mean.

Good for Klay and his dad to figure but sad at the same time.

Htownballa1622
03-01-2013, 01:06 AM
how many 23 year old millionaires can?

Smart ones. Most of the time they aren't athletes though. lol

jrm2054
03-01-2013, 01:22 AM
He needs to grow up and control his own finances. Maybe his dad should teach him how to use his money instead of just babying him

Ebbs
03-01-2013, 05:54 AM
300 spending money FFS I blow that much cash easy some weeks. Klay probably never drinks than eh

Patman
03-01-2013, 05:58 AM

How should the parents know how to handle money if they never had money to handle..... I think that should be one of the key competences they learn in college, if you force them to go there at least make sure to teach them something that could help them in the long run.

That isn't only athletes, look at lottery winners or others that came into money quickly, many of those blow that cash like it will kill them if they don't spend.

BALLER R
03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Embarrassing.. I feel for bad him this went public. Can you imagine the trash talk he'll get from his nba peers on the court.

how so. cause down the line those guys will probably be broke

BALLER R
03-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Also what about the millionaires who have financial advisers. There are millionaires that have an allowance, because they know they will spent it all so they have someone manage their money. Just because it's his dad how is that different.

ichitownclowni
03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Not my money not I problem. If this works for him who the **** are we to judge? He has millions and we dont.

JiffyMix88
03-01-2013, 09:47 AM
300 spending money FFS I blow that much cash easy some weeks. Klay probably never drinks than eh

Or popped a Molly cause you'll zip through 300 in a day just on feeling good about yourself and splurge on bs but everything seemed like a good idea at the time lol

LongIslandIcedZ
03-01-2013, 11:03 AM
It might not be the coolest thing to have circulating the NBA, but it's smart.

He'll be the one laughing when 20% of the league is broke due to reckless spending. At 23 years old, he should probably have an idea of how to save his money, but there is no shame in seeking help to protect your future.

OceanSpray
03-01-2013, 11:42 AM
This is sad. His parents need to let his son grow up. He wasn't even that involved in the fight and he's a grown man. Would've been a good move if Klay was 17, not 23.

LongWayFromHome
03-01-2013, 11:48 AM

I feel bad for him when they all retire and 5 years later 60% of them are calling him asking him for money cause they can't pay their mortgage.

OceanSpray
03-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I feel bad for him when they all retire and 5 years later 60% of them are calling him asking him for money cause they can't pay their mortgage.

You assume all NBA players are going to waste their money. It's terrible on his image because he's 23 years old. It's a smart move but releasing it to the public is going to hurt his image.

LongWayFromHome
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM

He's set up just fine

No. Max pension is 195k. There is no way Iverson took advantage of the 401k. He'll blow through that 30 mil in a day.

When you go from making 20 mil a year to 195k. its like us going from making 50k a year to 500 a year.

LongWayFromHome
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
You assume all NBA players are going to waste their money. It's terrible on his image because he's 23 years old. It's a smart move but releasing it to the public is going to hurt his image.

Fact - 60% of NBA players are broke within 5 years of retirement.

OceanSpray
03-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Fact - 60% of NBA players are broke within 5 years of retirement.

That was nearly 5 years ago and it's not even accurate.

LongWayFromHome
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
That was nearly 5 years ago and it's not even accurate.

not accurate according to whom?

OceanSpray
03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
not accurate according to whom?

There are so many players out there with their own investments and such. These could've been done through a small margin of players. It was 5 years ago, not even accurate right now. There's no way to tell if someone is broke when they have investments.

LongWayFromHome
03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
There are so many players out there with their own investments and such. These could've been done through a small margin of players. It was 5 years ago, not even accurate right now. There's no way to tell if someone is broke when they have investments.

LOL "their own investments" is actually the number one cause of them going broke next to partying. Bad investments plague the league.

OceanSpray
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
LOL "their own investments" is actually the number one cause of them going broke next to partying. Bad investments plague the league.

You sure it's not because they act like Allen Iverson?

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-01-2013, 12:31 PM

This! Lol

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Your parents must give you a good allowance. :D

Gibby23
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM

$300 a week isn't bad. Players get money to spend for food on road trips, he probably saves that too.

TrueFan420
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
$300 a week isn't bad. Players get money to spend for food on road trips, he probably saves that too.

I'm sure they can food at the training facility after practice. I know for soccer they feed those guys.

tapajafri
03-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes. It says it in the article. Second paragraph!

well he can't read soooooo.....

dodgersuck
03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
I would not be cool with this if I were Klay. It's one thing that his parents watch his money for him but they shouldn't have the right to take it at their discretion.

TrueFan420
03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I would not be cool with this if I were Klay. It's one thing that his parents watch his money for him but they shouldn't have the right to take it at their discretion.

It's not like he's pocketing the cash like stern. He will still get the money just less for that month

mjt20mik
03-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I don't disagree with what his Dad is doing, but at the same point I think these kids should finish college just so they know how to properly plan their financials.

TrueFan420
03-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I don't disagree with what his Dad is doing, but at the same point I think these kids should finish college just so they know how to properly plan their financials.

Just cause they finish college doesn't mean they will learn or know how to handle their finances

b_russ
03-01-2013, 04:41 PM
If I was a professional athlete or someone making that kind of money hiring a personal accountant would be one of the first things I did. I'd want to make sure I was investing my money appropriately and managing it well. I too would have them set up a weekly/monthly allowance. I don't know Thompson's dad, but I wouldn't want to get family involved in that aspect of my life, especially that close of family. He's 23 and still has a lot of growing up to do but being punished by your parents like this isn't helping him to mature. Let him take a fine/penalty from his league or team but I don't see any need to have his parents get involved in professional disciplinary matters.

C-Wick925
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Well in 20 years when people like Demarcus cousins are broke he can laugh all the way to the bank

garyraymond23
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I found it rather funny that Klay Thompson doesn't even control his finances .. he's a grown *** man.

leftymo
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Mychal Thompson has three sons that are all professional athletes... Trayce is in the White Sox organization.

I think it's actually pretty smart of Mychal to do that.... He invests Klay's money so he'll be set up forever.

I'll leave it at this...

I wish my parents did this for me.

Sincerely

Antoine Walker (100 million dollar contract and broke)

RLundi
03-01-2013, 07:11 PM

:laugh2:

This, definitely this.

tp13baby
03-01-2013, 07:30 PM

He's set up just fine

And he filed for bankruptcy, IMO I don't think anyone earning a certain amount should be able to file for bankruptcy.

Most basketball players can't manage money. Statistically proven.