PDA

View Full Version : Since when did "tap outs" count as a rebound?

BK-TY
02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm as happy as ANY Knick fan that Chandler got credited with 28 rebounds but almost half of them was when he tapped the ball out to the perimeter. That counts as a board now? Shouldn't the team mate who catches the tap out get the rebound credit? And does it still count as a rebound for Chandler if he taps it out and the opposing team gets it?

2-ONE-5
02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
it has to be a controlled tip if that makes sense

gwrighter
02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Whoever ends up with possession of the ball should be credited with the rebound, unless it is a tip shot.

BK-TY
02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
What determines control... who ends up with the ball?

ManRam
02-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I have no idea what the official rule is and when/if it has changed...

But I do think controlled tapouts should be the guy who tapped it's rebound. He's doing all the work, and it's incredibly beneficial.

king4day
02-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I believe if the ball is recklessly tapped (like, the tapper has no position, and as a last ditch effort taps it in hopes it goes to a teammate), then they won't get credit.
If they have position and clearly are tapping it out to someone, they get credit.

It is a good question.

bloomis1307
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I agree with this and although I think chandler is good (those tapouts are very beneficial) but most of the time I wouldn't classify what he does as "controlled"

thats just my opinion anyways

I believe if the ball is recklessly tapped (like, the tapper has no position, and as a last ditch effort taps it in hopes it goes to a teammate), then they won't get credit.
If they have position and clearly are tapping it out to someone, they get credit.

It is a good question.

reffahead
02-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Tap outs are so fruity as a stat. At best the tapper should get half a rebound with his teammate. Other wise the person with possession gets the rebound.

Just like a player should get proportional assist numbers for a teammate he created free throws for.

NYC
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
This is a dumb question. Guys work feriously down low, especially Chandler, to get the tap outs. The ball doesn't magically reach someone at the perimeter who essentially was passed the ball by someone like Chandler.

Why wouldn't Chandler get credit?

LongWayFromHome
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
If you get a rebound for a controlled tip out (which I think it should), then you should get a turnover if it ends up in the opponents hands.

NYK_GURU
02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Of Chandler's 28 rebounds, I counted maybe 4 of them as "tap outs". They had to figure out a way to track who gets credit for his tap outs since he does it so frequently. So they decided that if his tap out directly leads to possession by a teammate it's considered a controlled tap and he gets credited with an offensive rebound.

BKLYNpigeon
02-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Chandler got 28 rebounds because, the Warriors were playing small the whole night and they were missing David Lee and Andrew Bogut.

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
It is up to the discretion of the statisticians running the game. I think they usually have two or three folks working on it (provided and paid for by the home team). If a player has control and intentionally taps it out to a teammate, indicating that they have control over the ball, then it counts as a rebound for the guy that taps it out. If it is an uncontrolled tap where the player is just tapping it away from another player who has position, then it goes to the player that picks it up. Obviously there are instances where there is no way to be sure, so it is left up to the discretion of the statisticians, which seems fair. I mean, should some guy on the wing who wasn't even crashing the boards get credit for a rebound that a guy who boxed out to get the board tapped out to him?

I'm fine with things the way they are.

Sactown
02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Scorers table determinds if its controlled or not, but controlled tips go to the tipper as stated... It's like assists some scorers tables are more lenient than others, altimately the NBA can change it tho

D-Leethal
02-28-2013, 09:30 PM
The taps into the backcourt only count as a team rebound, but not for any individual. The controlled tapbacks that go directly to a player count for the tapper backer.

Tkwod5
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
yea that makes sense. essentially a controlled tip to your teammate and they get credited for the board.

AnthonyTyrael
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
The taps into the backcourt only count as a team rebound, but not for any individual. The controlled tapbacks that go directly to a player count for the tapper backer.

And if that dude scores asap after receiving that tap, he (the tapper) is getting an assist on top with just one play? Sweet cherry cake.

AnthonyTyrael
02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Like a tip dunk? Counting as rebound as well as on the scoreboard at once?