PDA

View Full Version : 5 offensive studs get the ball with 1 minute left, team down btw 2 - 4 points.

4milesperday
02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
What's the most likely action each will take? and which of these is most effective?

Carmelo
Durrant
Lebron
Kobe
Harden

Melo - Drive for a lay-up or create space for a jump shot
Durrant - Drive and hopefully get fouled
Lebron - Pass to an open shooter, drive for a lay-up and only takes uncontested shots
Kobe - Contested jump shot
Harden - Contested jump shot or drive the lane and run into someone for a foul

D-Leethal
02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
dp

D-Leethal
02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Carmelo: Read what the defense is doing, and take what they give you.
LeBron: Read what the defense is doing, and take what they give you.
Durant: Read what the defense is doing, and take what they give you.
Kobe: Read what the defense is doing, and take what they give you.
Harden: Read what the defense is doing, and take what they give you.

4milesperday
02-27-2013, 03:40 PM

Only LBJ reads defense.

yaswaggin
02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Give me a guy not on this list, kyrie Irving

4milesperday
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Give me a guy not on this list, kyrie Irving

Any why? what does he do that makes him more efficient in the clutch?

D-Leethal
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Only LBJ reads defense.

False. You don't drive on a guy sagging off, you don't shoot on a guy pressuring right in your grill. Every possession you read the defense, even if its 1 v 1, you read the way the guy is defending you. You don't have to end the move with a pass to call it reading a defense.

Sactown
02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
False. You don't drive on a guy sagging off, you don't shoot on a guy pressuring right in your grill. Every possession you read the defense, even if its 1 v 1, you read the way the guy is defending you. You don't have to end the move with a pass to call it reading a defense.

And yet I see a lot of players take this shot in the final seconds....

4milesperday
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM

I've watched all those players in clutch moments and I can tell you, Lebron is the only one that read the defense. Everyone else already have what they will do in mind. Of all those guys who is likely to pass to a teammate wide open rather than force a bad shot?

Cal827
02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Joel Anthony

rockets-fan
02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
What's the most likely action each will take? and which of these is most effective?

Carmelo
Durrant
Lebron
Kobe
Harden

Lebron - Pass to an open shooter, drive for a lay-up and only takes uncontested shots

So your a Lebron fan haha, he's the only one you put down as making a smart choice really, everyone else you out "hopefully" or "contested". Besides melo which would be my last option of those 5.

Btw I'd pick lebron no doubt, but you just made it sound bad for most of those players on the list.

4milesperday
02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Joel Anthony

Funny you said that because I have seen Lebron give up the ball to Joel in the clutch before, unfortunately a wide open Joel fumbled the pass.

4milesperday
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
So your a Lebron fan haha, he's the only one you put down as making a smart choice really, everyone else you out "hopefully" or "contested". Besides melo which would be my last option of those 5.

Btw I'd pick lebron no doubt, but you just made it sound bad for most of those players on the list.

Am I wrong?

LakersIn5
02-27-2013, 04:52 PM
melo-face up, pullup

lebron-bite on mouth peace, drive to the hoop, kick it out.

durant-dribble, dribble, act like youre going to drive, pull up 3.

harden- drive, step back, shoot

kobe-post up, iso, shoot

HouRealCoach
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
LeBron rarely drives in for the win now.. He used to in Cleveland but now he takes long jumpers, Idk why though

Melo will act like he's driving and pull up for a contest jumper

Kobe will take a contested jumper also

It doesn't matter what Durant will do because he'll make it

Don't know too much about Harden

heyman321
02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Kobe ftw. Contested jumpshots are teh highest % shots.

DanG
02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Irving
Ray Ray
Durant
Melo
Love

Minimal
02-27-2013, 05:14 PM
LeBron rarely drives in for the win now.. He used to in Cleveland but now he takes long jumpers, Idk why though

Melo will act like he's driving and pull up for a contest jumper

Kobe will take a contested jumper also

It doesn't matter what Durant will do because he'll make it

Don't know too much about Harden
Actually driving into the lane is a go to move for LeBron in clutch situations.

He drives into the lane and usually defenses collapse on him, he get double or triple teamed and that leaves his teammates open, he finds the open teammate and passes the ball. If defense doesn't collapse on him, he takes it to the rack.

NoahH
02-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Carmelo - Isolation and step back jumper
Durrant - Drive and put up a shot
Lebron - Pass to Haslem
Kobe - Contested fade away 36 footer
Harden - Draw foul or take a contested shot.

ManRam
02-27-2013, 05:43 PM

What?!?

NO HERO BALL! BLASPHEMY!

LeBron does that the best. That's why I cringe when the bring the ball up and give it right to Wade. Wade is "clutch" and all, but we saw how many great decisions Bron made in the second OT last night. He'll make the pass if he needs to, he'll take the shot if it's there. He falls victim to Hero Ball too, but far less frequently. However, he's been a bit less aggressive driving to the hoop than he sometimes is. But he's still making great decisions and has excelled in clutch time.

The open man > hero ball

Haven't watched Harden enough to know what he does. KD is pretty solid too, as his mind doesn't seem 100% made up.

Kobe's passing has improved a lot this year, but late in games it's still Kobe or bust. He and Melo seem to have their minds made up that it's them taking a shot or bust...and often it's heavily contested (which is why Kobe shoots in the 30% for his career in the waning seconds of games)

tredigs
02-27-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd agree with wanting Kyrie Irving. Him or Cp3, but right now Irving is on another level in a clutch situation. Reason being that he can hit it as well as anyone in the league from anywhere on the floor, has ridiculous moves to open up that space, can find the open man if you over-commit, won't shy from contact, and just loves that moment. He also doesn't favor one side or the other when driving, and will hit the jumper from anywhere. How do you play that? You can't. You just have to hope he misses.

There's probably no better combination of shooting/driving/ball-control ability in the game. And that's why Kyrie is the best clutch scorer in the game.

tredigs
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Here we go - small sample size for this season - but no surprise here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&year_id=2013&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=2&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=-5&margin_max=5&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

Kyrie #1. And assisted on less of those shots (+/- 5 points in the 4th or OT with 2 minutes or less to go) than anyone else in the top 35.

eso
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Funny you said that because I have seen Lebron give up the ball to Joel in the clutch before, unfortunately a wide open Joel fumbled the pass.

Therefor a bad choise made by your clutch hero.

Lakeshow24KB
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Cp3

zn23
02-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Melo - Couple of dribbles and a pull up jump shot.
Lebron - Drive in and find the shooter in the corner once defense collapses.
Kobe - Low percentage, highly contested shot from 36 feet
Harden - Same as Melo.

Rivera
02-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Carmelo - Isolation and step back jumper
Durrant - Drive and put up a shot
Lebron - Pass to Haslem
Kobe - Contested fade away 36 footer
Harden - Draw foul or take a contested shot.

:laugh:

Chill_Will_24
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Joe Cool shooting 90% 9-10 with the game on the line this season with 30 or less seconds left.. so.. is this a playoff game we are discussing?

AIRMAR72
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Carmelo
Durrant
Lebron
Kobe
Harden

1.Paul Pierce=he could get buckets mulitiple ways plus the man is STRONG with skillz and make his FT
2.James Harden=high IQ,strength, deceptive speed and moves to the basket textbook arch and release on his shot
3.Chris Paul=small but very strong for his size high IQ soft touch around the basket can shoot off the ball dribble and score at any angle or defender on the court
4.Kevin Durant=scoring machine very tuff to guard when the man is feeling it long arms and stride 1or2 dribble and hes at the basket
5.Jamall Crawford=very agile bless with cat quickness can score in any offensive set shoots a nice soft rainbow shot top notch ball handler been in league forever but still look the same since his HS days

mdm692
02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Give me Kyrie as well.

Hawkeye15
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
give me play creators like Irving, CP3, or Bron anyday over isolation scorers.

mdm692
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Melo - Couple of dribbles and a pull up jump shot.
Lebron - Drive in and find the shooter in the corner once defense collapses.
Kobe - Low percentage, highly contested shot from 36 feet
Harden - Same as Melo.
:facepalm:. Is there any thread where you don't act like a complete moron?

zn23
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Give me Kyrie as well.

Nice to know you read the opening question...

ThaDubs
02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
I'd take Steph Curry considering he has 49 points with 5 min left...

mdm692
02-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice to know you read the opening question...

I did but another poster mentioned Kyrie and I seconded that thought. Regardless its much better then making a fool out of myself in every thread like you do.

zn23
02-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I did but another poster mentioned Kyrie and I seconded that thought. Regardless its much better then making a fool out of myself in every thread like you do.

Truth hurts...

yaswaggin
02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
I'd agree with wanting Kyrie Irving. Him or Cp3, but right now Irving is on another level in a clutch situation. Reason being that he can hit it as well as anyone in the league from anywhere on the floor, has ridiculous moves to open up that space, can find the open man if you over-commit, won't shy from contact, and just loves that moment. He also doesn't favor one side or the other when driving, and will hit the jumper from anywhere. How do you play that? You can't. You just have to hope he misses.

There's probably no better combination of shooting/driving/ball-control ability in the game. And that's why Kyrie is the best clutch scorer in the game.

Here we go - small sample size for this season - but no surprise here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&year_id=2013&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=2&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=-5&margin_max=5&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

Kyrie #1. And assisted on less of those shots (+/- 5 points in the 4th or OT with 2 minutes or less to go) than anyone else in the top 35.

Give me Kyrie as well.

give me play creators like Irving, CP3, or Bron anyday over isolation scorers.

Any why? what does he do that makes him more efficient in the clutch?

boom thats why, tredigs posted how kyrie leads the league in clutchest player in the last 2 min of the game in a close game THIS SEASON

he also lead the league last year as a ROOKIE, so in 2 years hes been in the league, hes been the most clutch.

D-Leethal
02-28-2013, 04:08 PM
What?!?

NO HERO BALL! BLASPHEMY!

LeBron does that the best. That's why I cringe when the bring the ball up and give it right to Wade. Wade is "clutch" and all, but we saw how many great decisions Bron made in the second OT last night. He'll make the pass if he needs to, he'll take the shot if it's there. He falls victim to Hero Ball too, but far less frequently. However, he's been a bit less aggressive driving to the hoop than he sometimes is. But he's still making great decisions and has excelled in clutch time.

The open man > hero ball

Haven't watched Harden enough to know what he does. KD is pretty solid too, as his mind doesn't seem 100% made up.

Kobe's passing has improved a lot this year, but late in games it's still Kobe or bust. He and Melo seem to have their minds made up that it's them taking a shot or bust...and often it's heavily contested (which is why Kobe shoots in the 30% for his career in the waning seconds of games)

Melo has kicked it out for game or late game daggers numerous times. He did it twice in two consecutive last night but Felton missed both, he did it for Kidd against BK for the 4 pt play.

The very last shot of the game, Melo is going to take it unless there are two defenders in a hard trap where its literally impossible, and I'd rather he takes that for the win if he can get a clean look because he's earned the right to do so.