PDA

View Full Version : Kobe had WORST supporting cast in HISTORY for a b2b title run...

Jimmer55
02-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I said it. Pau? Pau never won a single playoff game without Kobe. Lamar? Never even snffed an all-star game. Bynum? Please. Bynum was a big ball of injured charmin most of the time. (Still is) There has NEVER been a worse supporting cast in the HISTORY of b2b titles than Kobe had. MAYBE Hakeem. Kobe had tremendous role players and I don't knock their contribution, but he did NOT have a fellow star. Kobe did not, and would never, jump ship to play with the 3rd/4th best SG of all time. Kobe is of the Jordan mold, it was his team and no one could question it. He is too competitive to take the cowardly way out. Not even DUNCAN, the greatest PF of all time, could repeat with all the talent he had.

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
He had Gasol, Bynum and Odom along with Fisher and also Artest the second season... how is that a bad supporting cast?

ManRam
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Just stop.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
cue in the nonstop threads because homeboy got emotional after people called him out for claiming that kobe should be MVP if the Lakers make the playoffs.

:laugh:

classic.

ATX
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Holy crap man. Yes, please just stop with this nonsense.

hugepatsfan
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Most teams that win B2B title are pretty ****ing awesome so I guess it's possible relatively speaking that they were the worst. I don't really know enough to say. But that doesn't mean they didn't have an awesome team.

Jimmer55
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
He had Gasol, Bynum and Odom along with Fisher and also Artest the second season... how is that a bad supporting cast?

It is not bad, necessarily. However, it is NOT b2b title run good. STOP overrating those players.

bucketss
02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
and he faced a orlando team with their star pg coming back from injury, and not to mention in 2010 perkins got injured and kobe still choked in gamee 7 going 6-24 good thing the refs bailed him out. also pau shuold have been mvp,clearly had a much better impact in that series.

bucketss
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
that was the most underwhelming b2b i have ever witnessed.

bucketss
02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
teams today that would have swept that team, spurs,heat,thunder,clippers

ManRam
02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Pau was just as good, if not better (gasp!) than Kobe those two years.

In 2009...

Pau: 19-10-4 on 57% shooting. Had a 22.2 PER, 61.7 TS%, 56.7 eFG% and 13.9 win shares.
Kobe: 27-5-5 on 47% shooting. Had a 24.2 PER, 56.1 TS%, 50.2 eFG% and 12.7 win shares.

In 2010...

Pau: 18-11-3 on 54% shooting. Had a 22.9 PER, 59.3 TS%, 53.6 eFG% and 11 win shares.
Kobe: 27-5-5 on 46% shooting. Had a 21.9 PER, 54.5 TS%, 48.8 eFG% and 9.4 win shares.

The disrespect Pau gets from a faction of the Lakers fan base never ceases to amaze me. He was easily a top 10 player during the Lakers peak. He out-played Kobe in the playoffs during their second championship run (it was close, they were equals at best). He was tremendous. Him not winning in Memphis is irrelevant (go look at who he was playing with: Mike Miller was his best sidekick for the bulk of the time there).

He was what he was in LAL, and that was a great player.

Odom was never an all-star, sure...but let's not act like he didn't fill a great role. Bynum was great in their second playoff run. Artest was a menace defensively. Trevor Ariza had big play after big play in the 2009 Finals. The Lakers depth waxed Orlando's depth.

They had top 5 defenses both years. That is incredibly valuable.

Just stop. Kobe is great, and you can show that in a million legit ways. Dumbing things down and slandering everyone else just to make a silly point is, well, silly.

And once again, I don't know why I bother with the trolls...

Mr.ATLHawks
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I said it. Pau? Pau never won a single playoff game without Kobe. Lamar? Never even snffed an all-star game. Bynum? Please. Bynum was a big ball of injured charmin most of the time. (Still is) There has NEVER been a worse supporting cast in the HISTORY of b2b titles than Kobe had. MAYBE Hakeem. Kobe had tremendous role players and I don't knock their contribution, but he did NOT have a fellow star. Kobe did not, and would never, jump ship to play with the 3rd/4th best SG of all time. Kobe is of the Jordan mold, it was his team and no one could question it. He is too competitive to take the cowardly way out. Not even DUNCAN, the greatest PF of all time, could repeat with all the talent he had.

Yet Pau tip in against the Oklahoma, Fisher's 3 pointer along with Artest 's offense in Game 7 against Boston, were integral in them winning those championships. Where is Kobe's signature moments from this B2B if he's so Jordanesque? All I can remember is Kobe fading away for 3 pointers with 2-3 defenders in his face and his teammates getting easy tip ins. Nobody will ever be Jordan, you cant duplicate the countless moments Jordan had consistently. Kobe has 2 Finals MVP's so technically he was a role player for 3 of them. Jordan has 6. Players like Kobe are hard to put stars around b/c they don't want to play with him, period. Whether you see Kobe's tenacity and drive as positive or negative thats what it boils down to. Kobe does get a lot of hate b/c of his personality (see Barry Bonds). I personally respect his game but don't necessarily care for it, but I am starting to come around on him as he finally looks like he wants to play team basketball.

Chronz
02-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Who had a better cast those years?

HouRealCoach
02-27-2013, 11:31 AM
94 & 95 Rockets... Hakeem's was more impressive

Jimmer55
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
and he faced a orlando team with their star pg coming back from injury, and not to mention in 2010 perkins got injured and kobe still choked in gamee 7 going 6-24 good thing the refs bailed him out. also pau shuold have been mvp,clearly had a much better impact in that series.

And Bynum was never injured? Did Kobe not score 10 points in the 4th of that game 7 to close it out? Along with 14 rebounds and stellar defense? Stop trolling.

Jimmer55
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Pau was just as good, if not better (gasp!) than Kobe those two years.

In 2009...

Pau: 19-10-4 on 57% shooting. Had a 22.2 PER, 61.7 TS%, 56.7 eFG% and 13.9 win shares.
Kobe: 27-5-5 on 47% shooting. Had a 24.2 PER, 56.1 TS%, 50.2 eFG% and 12.7 win shares.

In 2010...

Pau: 18-11-3 on 54% shooting. Had a 22.9 PER, 59.3 TS%, 53.6 eFG% and 11 win shares.
Kobe: 27-5-5 on 46% shooting. Had a 21.9 PER, 54.5 TS%, 48.8 eFG% and 9.4 win shares.

The disrespect Pau gets from a faction of the Lakers fan base never ceases to amaze me. He was easily a top 10 player during the Lakers peak. He out-played Kobe in the playoffs during their second championship run (it was close, they were equals at best). He was tremendous. Him not winning in Memphis is irrelevant (go look at who he was playing with: Mike Miller was his best sidekick for the bulk of the time there).

He was what he was in LAL, and that was a great player.

Odom was never an all-star, sure...but let's not act like he didn't fill a great role. Bynum was great in their second playoff run. Artest was a menace defensively. Trevor Ariza had big play after big play in the 2009 Finals. The Lakers depth waxed Orlando's depth.

They had top 5 defenses both years. That is incredibly valuable.

Just stop. Kobe is great, and you can show that in a million legit ways. Dumbing things down and slandering everyone else just to make a silly point is, well, silly.

And once again, I don't know why I bother with the trolls...

Oh please. Pau was that good partly due to KOBE and all the attention he demanded. I NEVER said Pau wasn't a great contribtor, but he won NOTHING before Kobe and he had a LOT of opportunity to do so. Pau is not THAT guy.

Chi~TwnHawksFan
02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm being as nice as possible, but your a ****ing idiot...

astrosmaniac
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh please. Pau was that good partly due to KOBE and all the attention he demanded. I NEVER said Pau wasn't a great contribtor, but he won NOTHING before Kobe and he had a LOT of opportunity to do so. Pau is not THAT guy.
and i could say kobe won nothing without shaq until pau came. does that change the fact that kobe was still a top 5 individual player in that span between? no

Hakeem easily had the worst supporting cast of any championship team in 94. bar none.

LAKERMANIA
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't say it was the worst supporting cast in history.. But Kobe has had the worst supporting cast: See the 2005-2006 Los Angeles Lakers

LAKobeBryant
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
People argued gasol should've won the finals MVP. That was when gasol was one of the best pf in the game and Lamar is a 6th man. Pretty solid team to me

akesh99
02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Ya this guy is an idiot

TornadoOfSouls
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Not even DUNCAN, the greatest PF of all time, could repeat with all the talent he had.

Duncan never once had an All-NBA teammate on ANY of his title runs. Kobe had an All-NBA teammate on every single one of his championships. And LOL at making this comparison. Duncan won a title in 2003 carrying a group of role players. None of them all-stars except himself. He led the team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks...Just about every category.

But yeah, let's prop Kobe up on a pedestal despite the fact that Pau had an equal playoff PER to Kobe in 2010 and actually led the Lakers in win shares that post-season. Very impressive indeed to be outproduced by a sidekick.

JiffyMix88
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
It is not bad, necessarily. However, it is NOT b2b title run good. STOP overrating those players.

Without Pau during your second run there would be NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO championship possibly wouldn't of even made it past the Thunder that year either.

meloman1592
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Epic fail of a thread

MarkieMark48
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Smh

Alayla
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
And Bynum was never injured? Did Kobe not score 10 points in the 4th of that game 7 to close it out? Along with 14 rebounds and stellar defense? Stop trolling.

Fisher had a better 4th than he did imo

MaloDaw9
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
To me the biggest idiot's are the people comparing the per-minute productivity of a SG and a C..I mean these ****ing stat geeks are ridiculous. Try watching a ****ing game once in awhile.

Bottom line if the Lakers didn't have Pau they wouldn't have won these 2 rings..

If the Lakers didn't have Kobe then that's 5 banners removed..

Basketball is a team sport and if you want to win Championships you have to have a go to guy and Kobe Bryant has been the GO TO guy for 5 rings..deal with it.

Jeffy25
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Jimmer, stop with this stuff. You are baiting the conversations/discussions.