PDA

View Full Version : Best rebuild ever?

DreamShaker
02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Which organization had the best rebuild after their star player or players left? Any team, all-time. Simple question.

mdm692
02-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Finally a good thread :worthy:. There is still some hope in the NBA forum. I like OKC and what they did with their team. My favorite so far though is Houston. What their FO has done is admirable and they have put themselves in a position to land Dwight Howard and be a contender for year to come my hats off to them. What I find most interesting is that they didn't have to tank at all they just made smart trades and turned all those assets into James Harden and didn't make any stupid transactions like overpaying for a Josh Childress or anything that would cripple their cap.

Guppyfighter
02-27-2013, 01:55 AM
The Yankees in the 90's when they started off with four future hall of famers.

sunsfan88
02-27-2013, 02:46 AM
I would say the Broncos after John Elway left. They are now a title contender after not even being a playoff team for so long.

murphturph
02-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Bobcats after After Wallace left

tr3ymill3r
02-27-2013, 03:18 AM
As a Rockets fan I would love to jump up and say Houston, but even when they were supposed to suck they some how managed to compete even if they fell short of the playoffs. OKC has taken a long time to rebuild from their GP and Kemp days in Seattle or are we counting Lewis and Allen as superstars back then? Right now I would lean towards Indiana and maybe Denver. OKC then Seattle was last relevant in the 90s, but the Pacers were an amazing team with Reggie, Ron Artest and Jermaine Oneal before the Palace brawl. They haven't overpaid for superstars and have been lucky with Hibbert, Granger and now George. I also chose Denver because of the Melo deal, they didn't get back a bonafide superstar but they don't lose at home(altitude isn't that big of an issue to world class athletes) and will be in the playoffs for the next 5 years.

Celtics33
02-27-2013, 03:26 AM
1979 Celtics Finished 29-53, the following year the team finished 61-21
80's Celtics- Reloading with Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ, and Ainge

IversonIsKrazy
02-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Celtics in 08? Lakers after Shaq left? OKC.

PayDaPiper
02-27-2013, 04:25 AM
Niners, sucked for a decade. Two years under Harbaugh

NFC Championship
Super Bowl

rockbottom2010
02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
80s lakers and celtics, 80s - 90s bulls, 80s pistons,

JiffyMix88
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Niners, sucked for a decade. Two years under Harbaugh

NFC Championship
Super Bowl

As much as I dislike him I have to agree. Not saying it's the best all-time or even really significant right now but I really like how Orlando has started to rebuild to begin their new era.

ManRam
02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Allen and Lewis weren't leading the team to much success during their waning years in Seattle, but they were the team's best players for years and years. The rebuild Seattle did after those two left I think is one of the most impressive one we've seen. Different than a lot, but I think it's the envy of every team that's trying to rebuild.

They hit on 3 drafts in a row. They took it slow. The spent money wisely. They didn't just get lucky in FA.

It's what I hope Orlando can do, although I realize how incredibly impossible it is to find KD, Westbrook and Harden in 3 consecutive drafts. Luckily, I think we're off to a good start.

EDIT: And by Seattle, I obviously also mean OKC.

Blitzbolt
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Grizz after the Pau trade not the best but it was pretty good.

flea
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Marlins 1997-2003.

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
I gotta go with the Pistons. When Grant Hill left they did a really good job of making the most out of a bad situation, and they ended up winning before the Magic did. Kudos to Dumars who made some brilliant moves (even if he has since made a few bad ones).

Pierzynski4Prez
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
I would say the Broncos after John Elway left. They are now a title contender after not even being a playoff team for so long.

2 years after Elway retired the Broncos were 11-5 and back in the playoffs. You make it seem a lot longer.

HouRealCoach
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Miami after Shaq & those other guys left... Lakers after Shaq left

MrfadeawayJB
02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Bulls were good after Jordan left. A few bad years but then before you know it they somehow win (a nba fixed) lottery and get D-Rose, who, if healthy may have led them to another championship last season

NoahH
02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Houston

JiffyMix88
02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Bulls were good after Jordan left. A few bad years but then before you know it they somehow win (a nba fixed) lottery and get D-Rose, who, if healthy may have led them to another championship last season

hmm few bad years? more like worst team in the league from 1998-2003 and mediocre the rest of the years so I wouldn't consider it a great rebuild just ended up by some luck with a great player

king4day
02-27-2013, 01:39 PM
OKC has to be at the top. They went from bottom feeder to title contender in half a decade.
Rockets have the potential but they've only added Harden so far. If Robinson pans out and they get another star, they could be on this list too.

TheNumber37
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
People are misreading the idea behind this.

A STAR or Franchise player leaves/retires. The team, turns around the next season.
NOT, one year they sucked, then they rebuilt by drafting Jordan, Lebron or KD

The Knicks post Patrick Ewing weren't too bad.

Ill21
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
What Houston is doing now is pretty amazing.

xRipCity
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
OKC by far is the best I have ever seen. They played the NBA system perfectly. Tank just enough to get elite talent that can legitimately become title contenders. I haven't seen a team in any sport hit both sides of the spectrum like they did in the time they did.

But seriously, the 49ers did a pretty good job too.

Hellcrooner
02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Celtics, they were dead at the final 70s and with the coups of getting bird ( cause teams didnt want to take him caus ehe would stay one more year in ncaa and he could bail them and reenter draft ) and than trading the first pick ( joe barry carroll) for chief and a draft pick ( mchale).

lakers after magic did a hell of a job too, but it took some years to pan out.

Do we count heats cheat as a rebuild?

Pierzynski4Prez
02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
hmm few bad years? more like worst team in the league from 1998-2003 and mediocre the rest of the years so I wouldn't consider it a great rebuild just ended up by some luck with a great player

Thanks for posting that. I was like "ummmmm what?" If we hadn't won the lottery with like the 12th best odds, we'd still be rebuilding from MJ leaving in 98.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
It's the turnaround of the '96-'97 SA Spurs after they had lost Robinson to injury.

Drafting Tim Duncan, with the eventual additions of Parker and ginobili led to them being the juggernaut they became.

They were:

59-23 in '95-'96

20-62 in '96-'97

56-26 in the '97-'98 season, after drafting Duncan.

and champions the year after.

king4day
02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
People are misreading the idea behind this.

A STAR or Franchise player leaves/retires. The team, turns around the next season.
NOT, one year they sucked, then they rebuilt by drafting Jordan, Lebron or KD

The Knicks post Patrick Ewing weren't too bad.

I that case...

Marbury was traded from the Suns mid 03-04. We were one of the worst teams in the league at the time. That summer, Nash arrives, and Phoenix is elite.

Twins Fanatic
02-27-2013, 05:51 PM
The Detroit Tigers, gawd were they awful at the beginning of the 2000s and even after getting swept in the world series last year, that team still has a higher potential.

mamba24
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Celtics, they were dead at the final 70s and with the coups of getting bird ( cause teams didnt want to take him caus ehe would stay one more year in ncaa and he could bail them and reenter draft ) and than trading the first pick ( joe barry carroll) for chief and a draft pick ( mchale).

lakers after magic did a hell of a job too, but it took some years to pan out.

Do we count heats cheat as a rebuild?

Unfortunately I would say yes... Some teams (OKC) have done it through the draft. Some have done it through free agency and trades (Lakers, Celtics, Heat, and even Houston right now)... Miami just took advantage of the system that is in place. Props to them for that. Lakers and Celtics have rebuilt their teams multiple times. A current example IMO is the Warriors. They've built through drafts, trades, and free agency. They have really come around as a team. Fun to watch...

Mr_Amaziing
02-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Okc Thunder

Hawkeye15
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
It's the turnaround of the '96-'97 SA Spurs after they had lost Robinson to injury.

Drafting Tim Duncan, with the eventual additions of Parker and ginobili led to them being the juggernaut they became.

They were:

59-23 in '95-'96

20-62 in '96-'97

56-26 in the '97-'98 season, after drafting Duncan.

and champions the year after.

They didn't rebuild, they were a contender who lost a season to injury.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Does that not make it a rebuild? I guess I didn't understand the premise. How does losing Robinson, who was in his 9th season when Duncan was a rookie count? He only played half of the year after the championship season, played two solid second option years and started to fall off his final season. Does that not count as rebuilding through a player they got in the draft?

They bridged success in the '90s, to 3 more championships in the '00s. That's why I would consider it the most successful rebuild. It's not like they did it in one draft. It was in multiple drafts, and they never truly fell from the ranks as contenders, EXCEPT that one season.

DR_1
02-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Seattle/OKC is the best in my lifetime. Memphis after trading Pau is close though.

KnicksorBust
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Knicks easily. Reed retires. Trade Frazier. Then BAM! 35 Years later trade for Melo and get right back to the title hunt.

JEDean89
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Knicks easily. Reed retires. Trade Frazier. Then BAM! 35 Years later trade for Melo and get right back to the title hunt.

this is perfect.

king4day
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM

:laugh: fn hilarious

Hawkeye15
02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Does that not make it a rebuild? I guess I didn't understand the premise. How does losing Robinson, who was in his 9th season when Duncan was a rookie count? He only played half of the year after the championship season, played two solid second option years and started to fall off his final season. Does that not count as rebuilding through a player they got in the draft?

They bridged success in the '90s, to 3 more championships in the '00s. That's why I would consider it the most successful rebuild. It's not like they did it in one draft. It was in multiple drafts, and they never truly fell from the ranks as contenders, EXCEPT that one season.

I don't put them on the same level of teams who were actually bad for a couple years or more. The Spurs simply lost a superstar to injury, as well as some other injuries, and tanked a season, and landed the #1 pick, who turned out to be a top 10 player ever. That is pure luck, not rebuild. Trust me, with Buford calling the shots, they would have been good anyways, but I can't classify them as a rebuild, unless we ignore the recent records, while focusing only on the records from one year to the very next. I think more context is needed.

statquo
02-27-2013, 09:25 PM

lol

PurpleJesus
02-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Have the Nuggets been mentioned yet? They trade Melo and dont miss a beat

Gators123
02-27-2013, 10:25 PM

I lol'd