PDA

View Full Version : No practice!

Sactown
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't know how true this is, but the Kings announcers just said, the Miami Heat do not practice as long as they win the game. Thoughts? Crazy if that's true. They also said they've practiced one time since January?

Hitman 3:16
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
They are the best team in the NBA, the defending champions, with the best player in the league and the best chemistry. And they also have older vets. Why should they have to practice?

I think shoot-around and pre-game strategy is good enough for the best team in the league who barring injury, is probably going to end up repeating.

b@llhog24
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
We talking bout practice?

SugeKnight
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Not a game, not a game, not a game. Not a game...

KnicksorBust
02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't know how true this is, but the Kings announcers just said, the Miami Heat do not practice as long as they win the game. Thoughts? Crazy if that's true. They also said they've practiced one time since January?

Can we get a link on this? Seems like a stretch but I'll reserve judgement.

Slug3
02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
This is a pat Riley team. If you think they don't practice then you have no idea who Riley is.

ManRam
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
I remember hearing last year that after the season started, some teams only formally practiced 6-7 times throughout the season.

I don't think it's too unbelievable. I'm sure they do a lot of film study, shooting, walkthroughs and stuff like that, but I could see how they'd go weeks and weeks without doing full out practices with 5-on-5s and the likes.

Slug3
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
I remember hearing last year that after the season started, some teams only formally practiced 6-7 times throughout the season.

I don't think it's too unbelievable. I'm sure they do a lot of film study, shooting, walkthroughs and stuff like that, but I could see how they'd go weeks and weeks without doing full out practices with 5-on-5s and the likes.

Actually lady year that is kind of true. Pretty much all the teams only reall hand a handful of actual practices because of that condensed schedule. Some back to back to backs as well as having a game almost every other day or even 3 games in 4 nights.

JNoel
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
I did hear that too. As long as they are winning tho, I don't see a problem.

D-Leethal
02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Pat Riley must be rollin' in his grave.

But all seriousness, this is a product of the greed machine that is professional sports. If they practiced on all their off days these guys would start breaking down before they turn 30 instead of 32-34.

JNoel
02-26-2013, 10:11 PM
To add on I'm sure they practice, just not a guided practice from the coaches, but rather their own practice that the players conduct...

ManRam
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
These guys have been together for so long now. I'm sure they find things that they need to fix, but most of that can be done without full fledged practices. They're a good enough team where they can work on small things in games.

D-Leethal
02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
To add on I'm sure they practice, just not a guided practice from the coaches, but rather their own practice that the players conduct...

I highly doubt these guys run practices without coaches or trainers present, and for a multitude of reasons.

IndyRealist
02-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Actually lady year that is kind of true. Pretty much all the teams only reall hand a handful of actual practices because of that condensed schedule. Some back to back to backs as well as having a game almost every other day or even 3 games in 4 nights.

No one had a back-to-back-to-back this year except the Pacers.

JNoel
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
I highly doubt these guys run practices without coaches or trainers present, and for a multitude of reasons.

True. This Heat team is run much differently from the traditional team, so you never know.

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
That can't be good. Even if the team is winning... you have to run drill and practice defensive sets for teams you are playing. Every teams runs a different offense, and you have to practice to defend them.

Slug3
02-26-2013, 11:11 PM
No one had a back-to-back-to-back this year except the Pacers.

I was referring to last year but spelled lady by accident. And there was one team this year that had a back to back to back. Might have been the nets or some team where a game got cancelled from a winter storm and they had to make it up.

Chronz
02-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Im sure people will point to this if they happen to lose in the playoffs. Bill Russell hated practicing, didnt stop him from leading the greatest dynasty ever.

D-Leethal
02-26-2013, 11:16 PM
True. This Heat team is run much differently from the traditional team, so you never know.

I just think it would be way too risky injury wise. These guys are paid too much money to let them do that. If they are gonna get injured it better at least be with coaches present. Need to keep an eye on their assets.

SteBO
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Not true by any stretch.....fact is this team has had little time to practice lately. The schedule has condensed for Miami the second half of the regular season.

justinnum1
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM

they didnt even do shootaround today lol

SteBO
02-26-2013, 11:41 PM
they didnt even do shootaround today lol
This...I would find odd. It explains a lot too.

justinnum1
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
This...I would find odd. It explains a lot too.

tomasson
Since the start of February, Heat have practiced exactly once. They didn't even have shootaround today. What gives?
"It just depends on the schedule,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said of balancing rest vs. practice. "This team does a good job of balancing work versus rest versus preparation. We're never going to take a backseat with our preparation.''

SteBO
02-26-2013, 11:53 PM
^My point exactly. The schedule dictates a lot of that. I remember when we had around 5-6 off days earlier in the year....Miami had about 3 full practices in that span. But it has nothing to do w/ winning or losing games....

Cracka2HI!
02-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Not talking about the games which I'll die for, we talking bout practice!