PDA

View Full Version : Every superstar who "claims" winning is everything is full of it!

superior
02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I'll keep it simple. If Team A has 20 dollars to spend on 12 players, a player who claims he would do anything to win a championship, would not want that team to use 10 dollars on him, leaving only 10 more dollars for the last 11 players, and then wonder why he's surrounded by garbage players.

These superstars make millions on top of millions in endorsement deals, jersey sales, public events, etc. on top of their base salary. If winning a championship was REALLY these guys' top priority, they would take half the money that they're sponging the team for, leaving space for a better supporting cast, and signifigantly increase the chances of winning a championship.

But the sad truth is that it's all about the $$$$$$$ and players would rather live like fat cats than win their beloved championship.

Take Lebron in Cleveland for example, he cried about how they never surrounded him with any good players, while he's sitting there driving 30 different cars taking up half the salary, it's actually comical to me.

What do you guys think? You think superstars should take 10 mil instead of 20 mil to help the team put better guys around him? Or make a ridiculous salary and never get a ring?

NYJ - NYY
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Agreed man 100%! In every sport too

mdm692
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Didn't LBJ, Wade and Bosh take pay cuts to play together and ultimately win a ring? Didn't Tom Brady just take a pay cut to give the Pats a bunch of cap space? The latter of the 2 is NFL but it still proves that there are athletes out there who ultimately just want to win and if it means taking a pay cut they will do so.

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Players should not take pay cuts. It ruins parity. The fact that three Heat players all took pay cuts made parity much worse.

Imagine how much more competitive the East would be with Bosh on another team because Lebron and Wade didn't take cuts?

Players taking pay cuts makes parity worse.

JC_
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Why is "claims" in quotations?

TBH I think there are guys who care about winning and guys who don't. LBJ and Bosh both worked their ***** off for their other teams to try and win games and then came together because winning is important to them.

I think a lot of guys in the league think that as long as they are getting paid big bucks, they themselves are "winning". Maybe not on the court but in their personal lives.

Twins Fanatic
02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Players should not take pay cuts. It ruins parity. The fact that three Heat players all took pay cuts made parity much worse.

Imagine how much more competitive the East would be with Bosh on another team because Lebron and Wade didn't take cuts?

I see your point, but yet again look at the Lakers, they're all getting paid well but are still on the outside of the playoffs.

dirtyjay
02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
no D.Rose is all about winning

DumDum
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
we already know kobe is full of "IT"

Minimal
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
I'll keep it simple. If Team A has 20 dollars to spend on 12 players, a player who claims he would do anything to win a championship, would not want that team to use 10 dollars on him, leaving only 10 more dollars for the last 11 players, and then wonder why he's surrounded by garbage players.

These superstars make millions on top of millions in endorsement deals, jersey sales, public events, etc. on top of their base salary. If winning a championship was REALLY these guys' top priority, they would take half the money that they're sponging the team for, leaving space for a better supporting cast, and signifigantly increase the chances of winning a championship.

But the sad truth is that it's all about the $$$$$$$ and players would rather live like fat cats than win their beloved championship.

Take Lebron in Cleveland for example, he cried about how they never surrounded him with any good players, while he's sitting there driving 30 different cars taking up half the salary, it's actually comical to me.

What do you guys think? You think superstars should take 10 mil instead of 20 mil to help the team put better guys around him? Or make a ridiculous salary and never get a ring?
You do understand that there would a couple of superstar teams and all other teams would be garbage teams?
Now about LeBron, the worst example you could make. LeBron was earning 5,8 millions the year he took Cavs to the finals. He was earning 15 millions a year, when he won 2 mvps. He took a paycut to join Wade and Bosh.

seikou8
02-26-2013, 06:24 PM

wow first off no one is taking pay cuts this is a bussiness,the owners are make milloins of dollars of of them as well lebron never made more 15 mil in cle. they want to win but get paided too its up he owners/gm giving stupid contracts to some of this guys.

JC_
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Not sure if i agree. Teams like the Lakers seem to always get tons of talent regardless and i'm not sure the East would be more competitive if Bosh didn't sign with the Heat. The big 3 actually forced other teams in the East to get better asap.

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I see your point, but yet again look at the Lakers, they're all getting paid well but are still on the outside of the playoffs.

Money doesn't guarantee anything, but the talent would be spread around.

mdm692
02-26-2013, 06:47 PM

The topic of discussion is not parity but simply that there aren't athletes out there who just care about winning it all.

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
The topic of discussion is not parity but simply that there aren't athletes out there who just care about winning it all.

They can be conflated. I was still speaking about the players and trying to win.

mdm692
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
They can be conflated. I was still speaking about the players and trying to win.

If anything taking pay cuts shows that athletes like LBJ and Brady care more for winning than money. Obviously they aren't going to take the vet min but allowing teams like Miami to put together the big 3 shows that they just wanted a ship. Is it cowardly and cheap? Sure. Does it throw parity out of the window? Yes. The fact of the matter is that not everybody wants JJ money or Kobe money if they can win a ring.

Dade County
02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
I think most players come into the league with this mentality, but then older players & agents set them straight... You never no when an injury is going to happen, so you get all the money you can.

And what the HEAT 3 kings did should have been celebrated, but everyone choose to hate... All Star players came together on a small market team, to compete with the big markets, like Boston & L.A. I mean it's nice to see that people are changing their minds.

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
If anything taking pay cuts shows that athletes like LBJ and Brady care more for winning than money. Obviously they aren't going to take the vet min but allowing teams like Miami to put together the big 3 shows that they just wanted a ship. Is it cowardly and cheap? Sure. Does it throw parity out of the window? Yes. The fact of the matter is that not everybody wants JJ money or Kobe money if they can win a ring.

I was suggesting it hurts parity to circumvent the cap and just take a pay cut.

mdm692
02-26-2013, 07:06 PM
I was suggesting it hurts parity to circumvent the cap and just take a pay cut.
I know exactly what you meant but my responses have been more in regards to the op and what he said that not one athlete cares just about winning it all.

Dade County
02-26-2013, 07:07 PM

What's so cowardly about free agents singing with a small/mid market team to over throw the big market teams? I mean people are crazy, it seems like people would have been happy if Lbj signed with the bulls, even though they have rose and company.

They did noting wrong! Free agents can sign where ever and for whatever. If Howard decides after this season to sign with the Nets, HEAT, OKC, and or Spurs for the vet, I'm not going to be mad at him; it's his life.

Chronz
02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Worst thread of the year

mdm692
02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
What's so cowardly about free agents singing with a small/mid market team to over throw the big market teams? I mean people are crazy, it seems like people would have been happy if Lbj signed with the bulls, even though they have rose and company.

They did noting wrong! Free agents can sign where ever and for whatever. If Howard decides after this season to sign with the Nets, HEAT, OKC, and or Spurs for the vet, I'm not going to be mad at him; it's his life.

I'm pretty sure that if Wade had signed with the Bulls and LBJ signed with the Knicks, as speculated, you would have a totally different opinion on this matter. Regardless I'm not going to engage in a pointless discussion that is irrelevant so let's be civil and drop it.

mdm692
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Worst thread of the year
Not as bad as the "wade leading the heat in the 4th" thread that has nothing to do with Wade but it's more of an LBJ bashing thread. Now that is an embarrasment of a thread and to the so called mods.

Sactown
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Eh I think Superstars are so cocky they want to have their cake and eat it too. I think most think they can win it all with the right supporting cast who can fit around their salary.

Chronz
02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Worst thread of the year
Not as bad as the "wade leading the heat in the 4th" thread that has nothing to do with Wade but it's more of an LBJ bashing thread. Now that is an embarrasment of a thread and to the so called mods.
Didn't partake in that one but at least he cited some interesting facts. This one bashes LeBron erroneously

PatriotsGirl
02-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Money doesn't always determine a player's value in the short term. Someone who is paid less up front might work harder to get into a higher pay scale.

It's also true that getting paid a lot may make some superstar players complacent, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not trying or haven't earned it.

The Flash
02-26-2013, 08:45 PM
So many geniuses who come up with all kinds of threads on PSD smh