PDA

View Full Version : Can we now admit that Spoelstra is a Great Coach by now?

rex.reyesiii
02-26-2013, 05:12 AM
11(?) Win streak and more to come.

Or is this because of Lebron?

Kindly discuss the Coaching Factor of the HEAT's current success.

Thanks.

*goes to lurk mode*

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 05:15 AM
No. I personally saw him leave Ray Allen in a game that came down to the last possession that involved defense for the heat. Led to my Warriors winning because of his porous defense. You can thank Spoelstra for that one. I don't believe for a minute he is a good coach.

setman2000
02-26-2013, 05:48 AM
It's hard to know if any coach that has only won with the best players in the NBA can ever be called a great coach. (I'm looking at you Phil!)

Red_Pill
02-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Any coach in the league could win it all with the Heat roster. Spoelstra is an average coach. Any team that has Lebron James is going to be good.

hidalgo
02-26-2013, 06:04 AM
i think he's just an average coach, even if they 3 peat

lakers4sho
02-26-2013, 06:22 AM
It's hard to know if any coach that has only won with the best players in the NBA can ever be called a great coach. (I'm looking at you Phil!)

and Red Auerbach
and Pat Riley
and KC Jones
and Gregg Popovic

...oops

DumDum
02-26-2013, 10:05 AM
he is ok better then the train wreck they have in LA

kdspurman
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Great coach is a stretch, but he has improved from where he was a few years ago, and after winning a title, he's more comfortable in his own shoes.

Throwing in the 11 game win streak is sort of pointless, I mean the Clippers won like 16 straight and I don't think anyone would call VDN a great coach.

Rndy
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
He does a lot of interesting things he has his own style and seems like a coach for the newer generation involving stats. Players seem to like to get treated better by coaches these days nobody wants to get yelled at or have someone in your face. Seems like SPO is gonna lead a new generation of coaches.

Great coach is a stretch, but he has improved from where he was a few years ago, and after winning a title, he's more comfortable in his own shoes.

Throwing in the 11 game win streak is sort of pointless, I mean the Clippers won like 16 straight and I don't think anyone would call VDN a great coach.

I honestly have no idea how VDN is still a coach. I always thought his systems make no sense. Just because CP3 is amazing doesn't mean a guy who isn't a game manager nor good at writing up plays on the fly should keep his job. Clippers need to try and get someone like Sloan or Van Gundy.

LOb0
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
The moment he called LeBron out in front of everyone in his first season saying: "I can't tell when you're serious or not". I knew he was a solid coach that wouldn't back down.

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Average. A monkey could win with that group.

Joe Torre sucked as a manger for years until the Yankees called. Yankee fans went nuts they hated the choice so much. He won 4 rings. With that squad, with a 200 million plus payroll......he underachieved. Art Howe or Willie Randolph could have won the same amount with that team.

ATX
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't call him a great coach yet, but he has certainly improved and is an up and coming young coach. He is getting valuable experience dealing with immense pressure and scrutiny. Lucky for him Wade, Bosh, and James don't give him much issue like some other players in regards to ego, and coexist well together.

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=Rndy;25484784]He does a lot of interesting things he has his own style and seems like a coach for the newer generation involving stats. Players seem to like to get treated better by coaches these days nobody wants to get yelled at or have someone in your face. Seems like SPO is gonna lead a new generation of coaches.

If LeBron destroyed his knee in the next game and was out for the year, Spo the " leader of the next generation of coaches" would be looking for a job come June.

LOb0
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Joe Torre sucked as a manger for years until the Yankees called. Yankee fans went nuts they hated the choice so much. He won 4 rings. With that squad, with a 200 million plus payroll......he underachieved. Art Howe or Willie Randolph could have won the same amount with that team.

You're correct but, he is preaching defense, that's something many of these idiot coaches in the league wouldn't do. They would rely solely on the talent to win, so he deserves some praise.

BKLYNpigeon
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Eric Splostra is Pat Rileys Puppet.

He's average at best. if he was Great, the Heat should finish the season 72-10 with that roster.

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't call him a great coach yet, but he has certainly improved and is an up and coming young coach. He is getting valuable experience dealing with immense pressure and scrutiny. Lucky for him Wade, Bosh, and James don't give him much issue like some other players in regards to ego, and coexist well together.

Of course they coexist well together, they agreed to join the heat 2 years before they actually did. They had a buddy system already in place.

Dade County
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
NO!

I do not consider Spo great coach... lets drop this.

ATX
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Rndy;25484784]He does a lot of interesting things he has his own style and seems like a coach for the newer generation involving stats. Players seem to like to get treated better by coaches these days nobody wants to get yelled at or have someone in your face. Seems like SPO is gonna lead a new generation of coaches.

If LeBron destroyed his knee in the next game and was out for the year, Spo the " leader of the next generation of coaches" would be looking for a job come June.

Pure opinion, and I disagree whole heartedly. He has earned more respect than that from the Heat organization, and thank goodness Riley is his boss and not you.

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
You're correct but, he is preaching defense, that's something many of these idiot coaches in the league wouldn't do. They would rely solely on the talent to win, so he deserves some praise.

Ok, maybe a monkey was a stretch. A really smart Dog like Lassie or Air Bud could win with this team.

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Moroni;25484815]

Pure opinion, and I disagree whole heartedly. He has earned more respect than that from the Heat organization, and thank goodness Riley is his boss and not you.

If i was Boss I would have replaced him in the spring of 2011 and heat fans would be looking to 3peat this year.

JKiddFan4Life
02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
and Red Auerbach
and Pat Riley
and KC Jones
and Gregg Popovic

...oops

I don't know about Popovich. Any coach that's willing to bench his entire starting lineup early in a game for playing awful is a great coach in my book.

I Rock Shaqs
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Do they even need a coach, might as well just use Lebron for that too since he carries them 99% of the time anyways.
BEST ON THE PLANET.

Jroz
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
I'd say he's an average coach..if a team like the Heat are on a slump, its only a matter of time until they get everything running together...Great coaches are guys like Popovich and Thibodeau..teams that are successful regardless of the players out there because they rely on their system...I honestly don't think that Spoelstra's "system" is that great..their players are.

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd say he's an average coach..if a team like the Heat are on a slump, its only a matter of time until they get everything running together...Great coaches are guys like Popovich and Thibodeau..teams that are successful regardless of the players out there because they rely on their system...I honestly don't think that Spoelstra's "system" is that great..their players are.

I agree 100%

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Spo has not yet proven himself to be a great coach. He's got a very talented roster and one championship. Obviously he can get the job done, but many believe that he was out coached against Dallas, and even though they won the series, it could be argued that he was out coached by Doc Rivers as well (that series should not have gone to 7 games).

There have been other coaches who have won with talented teams, but then go on fail to repeat. The Lakers, for example, won it all with Paul Westhead, but he was fired and replaced by Pat Riley no long after. Boston won it all with Bill Fitch, but he was replaced when he failed to repeat his success in consecutive seasons.

I think it is still to early to tell how much of an impact Spo has as a coach and how much of this is the talent he has on his team.

Alayla
02-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks.

*goes to lurk mode*

This is LBJ and D wades doing

justinnum1
02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Some really stupid responses in this thread. he is an above average coach. Not another coach in the east besides doc or thibs i would rather have for miami.

MiamiBoy77
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I think Spo is good at making adjustments from game to game, but not in game.

cbs9889
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
mike brown went to the finals without bosh and wade so what does that say about him as a coach lol

hugepatsfan
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
He's a good coach.

hugepatsfan
02-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Just to play devil's advocate, when has Pop ever had to run his system without great players?

Tumstock
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
He sure look like he think he's the best coach in the nba.
That creepy confident ****ing smile sets me off every time the heat win.

Chronz
02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
There are no geniuses when it comes to coaching, just brilliant motivaters. You dont need X's and O's as much as you need motivational speakers.

C-Wick925
02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
lol no, They have the best player in the game and two top ten players as side kicks.. get real

Chi~TwnHawksFan
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Spo is hardly a good coach let alone great...
Thibs and Karl are good and great coaches..

Chi~TwnHawksFan
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
He sure look like he think he's the best coach in the nba.
That creepy confident ****ing smile sets me off every time the heat win.

:nod:

ManRam
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
He's not the best, but he is very, very good.

Most of the greatest of all time had talent like he has. He's still doing a tremendous job with that talent. I don't think we can just brush it all off as "the players are doing all the work".

MaloDaw9
02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
today=no

in 5 years=maybe?

/thread

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks.

*goes to lurk mode*

Lebron and the heat squad would make any coach look good.

king4day
02-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't think he's a bad coach nor do I think he's overrated (unless people start saying he's elite).
I thought he did a good job with Miami pre-Lebron. He'll have a good coaching career for sure.

king4day
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Lebron and the heat squad would make any coach look good.

Similar to Doc Rivers. Very good coach but had a bad run in Boston until talent was provided to him. I think he was going to lose his job had it not been for the big 3.

HiphopRelated
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Spo has not yet proven himself to be a great coach. He's got a very talented roster and one championship. Obviously he can get the job done, but many believe that he was out coached against Dallas, and even though they won the series, it could be argued that he was out coached by Doc Rivers as well (that series should not have gone to 7 games).

There have been other coaches who have won with talented teams, but then go on fail to repeat. The Lakers, for example, won it all with Paul Westhead, but he was fired and replaced by Pat Riley no long after. Boston won it all with Bill Fitch, but he was replaced when he failed to repeat his success in consecutive seasons.

I think it is still to early to tell how much of an impact Spo has as a coach and how much of this is the talent he has on his team.
how do you view Doc Rivers?

dee279
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Hell No! Hes aight though.

dee279
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
lol no, They have the best player in the game and two top ten players as side kicks.. get real

Bosh top 10? Meh...

superior
02-26-2013, 01:30 PM
It's threads like this that made me stop posting on here......Spoelstra a great coach? Are u ****in mentally challenged? He has the best team in the league and he's still barely in 1st place.....Have you ever watched him coach? or heard his speeches? he never knows what hes talkin about and sounds lost and unsure 95% of the time, he's arguably the WORST coach in the league.....a monkey could coach the heat GTFOH

NYCkid12
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Joe torre underachieved?? Really?? That team went to the World Series in 5 of 6 years from 96-2001...won 4 of them , 3 of them in a row, and the one they lost was a 7 game classic..then returned to the World Series 2 years later

WOW Yankee fans really are spoiled

HiphopRelated
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
It's threads like this that made me stop posting on here......Spoelstra a great coach? Are u ****in mentally challenged? He has the best team in the league and he's still barely in 1st place.....Have you ever watched him coach? or heard his speeches? he never knows what hes talkin about and sounds lost and unsure 95% of the time, he's arguably the WORST coach in the league.....a monkey could coach the heat GTFOH

6 game lead is barely? He can pace the teams

Thibodeau and his run 'em into the ground strategy on the other hand....

Screaming isn't leadership, so if you're judging coaching on sound bites you've already lost.

Kuya_Clive
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
He's a good coach that has a ton of time left considering how young he is. Depending on what he does for the rest of his career will determine whether or not he is great.

DR_1
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Let's be honest we all know LeBron is the real coach of that team

O_Touro
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
6 game lead is barely? He can pace the teams

Thibodeau and his run 'em into the ground strategy on the other hand....

Screaming isn't leadership, so if you're judging coaching on sound bites you've already lost.

You cant compere him with thibs. Give them the same players and i would bet my left nut Thibs would win... But just my opinion and im just saying it isnt fair to compare them

Captain Moroni
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Joe torre underachieved?? Really?? That team went to the World Series in 5 of 6 years from 96-2001...won 4 of them , 3 of them in a row, and the one they lost was a 7 game classic..then returned to the World Series 2 years later

WOW Yankee fans really are spoiled

Im not a Yankee fan.

4milesperday
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
No. I personally saw him leave Ray Allen in a game that came down to the last possession that involved defense for the heat. Led to my Warriors winning because of his porous defense. You can thank Spoelstra for that one. I don't believe for a minute he is a good coach.

Great coaches learn from mistake. He's adjusted now and has been using the line-up of Battier, Chalmers, Bosh, Lebron and Wade down the stretch and sometimes replace either Bosh with Joel or Battier with Allen depending on the situation

ATX
02-26-2013, 02:49 PM

It's posts like this that make want to never read anything here on PSD. The ignorance of this post is astounding. Barely in 1st? Haha, Heat are on pace to win 60 games, and have a 6 game lead.

superior
02-26-2013, 02:56 PM
wow youre stupid....youre right i was wrong...they actually DONT have the best record, the spurs do, and theyre tied with OKC, while having a much better team than both of them....spoelstra is a joke and wouldnt be employed if lebron wasnt in miami, get over it

Hawkeye15
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
and Red Auerbach
and Pat Riley
and KC Jones
and Gregg Popovic

...oops

exactly. While Spo doesn't belong with these guys right now, as well as Phil, people are crazy if they don't think most of the all time great coaches didn't have all time great players to win with (if we measure coaches on chips anyways).

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
exactly. While Spo doesn't belong with these guys right now, as well as Phil, people are crazy if they don't think most of the all time great coaches didn't have all time great players to win with (if we measure coaches on chips anyways).

We don't all the time, see Don Nelson.

NYCkid12
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Im not a Yankee fan.

Either way , can't contimplate how a dynasty is underachieving

yojoe792
02-26-2013, 03:13 PM
No

TheNumber37
02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
This win streak doesn't come against much adversity and it is a midst Lebron playing at an all time high and Wade playing at all time level of efficiency.

kdspurman
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, when has Pop ever had to run his system without great players?

He's done it in stretches, of course not for a whole season but certainly has had games where the big 3 (and others) sat and the team still came out and performed at a high level.

ATX
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
wow youre stupid....youre right i was wrong...they actually DONT have the best record, the spurs do, and theyre tied with OKC, while having a much better team than both of them....spoelstra is a joke and wouldnt be employed if lebron wasnt in miami, get over it

You are something else. Wow man, just wow...Welcome to ignore list.

NYCkid12
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
top 5 coaches in NBA right now (no particular order)
Pop
Doc
Karl
Carlisle
Thibodeou

I think at best he's the 5th best but I'd give it to Thibs bc even with Rose and other injuries during his tenure, his teams still compete and are one of the best defensive teams in the league

The goods
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
and Red Auerbach
and Pat Riley
and KC Jones
and Gregg Popovic

...oops

Got em coach!!!!

Hawkeye15
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
There are no geniuses when it comes to coaching, just brilliant motivaters. You dont need X's and O's as much as you need motivational speakers.

in basketball, I sorta agree with you here

Hawkeye15
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
We don't all the time, see Don Nelson.

or Jerry Sloan...

I am speaking of the ones who won a bunch of rings, and how people judge them

kdspurman
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
in basketball, I sorta agree with you here

You don't necessarily need them depending on the players you have, but having an offensive system, plays out of time outs, or in crunch time when you need a basket are certainly important assets a coach should have up their sleeves I think

superior
02-26-2013, 05:39 PM
oh my god noooooo not the ignore list!!!! agggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexander_37
02-26-2013, 06:02 PM
You mis-spelt Lebron in the title OP.

DoMeFavors
02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I wonder what happends if you put Randy Wittman on Heat and Spo on Wiz

Hawkeye15
02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
You don't necessarily need them depending on the players you have, but having an offensive system, plays out of time outs, or in crunch time when you need a basket are certainly important assets a coach should have up their sleeves I think

Obviously you couldn't put a motivational speaker as a coach and expect wins haha, I am saying that I think the motivational part is flat out more important than the x's and o's part in the sport of basketball.

Muttman73
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd say he is a fortunate coach

kdspurman
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Obviously you couldn't put a motivational speaker as a coach and expect wins haha, I am saying that I think the motivational part is flat out more important than the x's and o's part in the sport of basketball.

I think it kinda depends on the team, but in most cases you're probably right. But having a guy who can motivate, and keep the teams attention/respect is vital. Especially with the kind of players they're dealing with today

SeoulBeatz
02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
He's average.

I just can't take the guy seriously, especially when you hear him in the huddle.

Did anyone else watch the all-star game? The pregame speeches? LOL.

The western team was hanging on Pop's every word, while the Eastern players were barely listening as Spoelstra stumbled through some cliched nonsense. I know it's not all about motivational speaking but from my experience playing sports, you wan't a coach with an alpha male personality who'll keep his team in line, and clearly Spoelstra isn't that guy. I don't think Lebron, Wade or Bosh REALLY respect him. Sure they say they do, but you can just tell the players are doing all the work in this situation. Half of the head coaches in the league could step in for spoelstra and the heat would be just as good if not better.

Guppyfighter
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Pop's X and O's are also brilliant.
The game tying play vs the Warriors to sent it in the overtime. Manu had the ball, Harrison bit on the V-cut, got an easy lay up. If he didn't bite, he would have gotten an easy jump shot. If that didn't happen, Duncan would have had a wide open shot.

Infamous916
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Spoelstra is a mediocre coach, I'd take numerous coaches in the NBA & College over him.

DR_1
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
oh my god noooooo not the ignore list!!!! agggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh2:

SteBO
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Great coach is a stretch. He's definitely in my view, an underrated coach though. And every time this discussion comes up, I can't help but chuckle at the people say "well he has LeBron, Wade, and Bosh", "LeBron coaches the team", "Pat is calling the shots", etc....Outside of probably Larry Brown (even this is debatable to a lesser degree), you can't name me one coach who's won a title without great players.

Rndy
02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Moroni;25484815]

Haha that totally looks like I said that!

HiphopRelated
02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Great coach is a stretch. He's definitely in my view, an underrated coach though. And every time this discussion comes up, I can't help but chuckle at the people say "well he has LeBron, Wade, and Bosh", "LeBron coaches the team", "Pat is calling the shots", etc....Outside of probably Larry Brown (even this is debatable to a lesser degree), you can't name me one coach who's won a title without great players.

people talk like he was Doc Rivers missing the playoffs and getting fired before Bosh and Lebron

SportsWins
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
He does a lot of interesting things he has his own style and seems like a coach for the newer generation involving stats. Players seem to like to get treated better by coaches these days nobody wants to get yelled at or have someone in your face. Seems like SPO is gonna lead a new generation of coaches.

I honestly have no idea how VDN is still a coach. I always thought his systems make no sense. Just because CP3 is amazing doesn't mean a guy who isn't a game manager nor good at writing up plays on the fly should keep his job. Clippers need to try and get someone like Sloan or Van Gundy.

How many championships do Sloan and Van Gundy have? I believe that would be Zero, let the man coach and judge them by how they finish the season as a group. Then let the owner of the team decide whether or not it's time to change coaches.