PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol might be out until Playoffs

Iron24th
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
DALLAS - As if the Lakers can absorb more bad news.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni suggested Pau Gasol won't return in the regular season after nursing torn plantar fascia in his right foot for the past three weeks.

"By the time he gets back, we'll be in or out," D'Antoni said. "His impact will be in the playoffs if we get there."

The Lakers (28-29) have 25 games remaining before the regular season ends April 17 against the Houston Rockets. After their 103-99 victory Sunday over the Dallas Mavericks, the Lakers remain 2 games behind the Houston Rockets (31-27) for the eighth playoff spot.

"I don't think anyone on this team is counting the days for Pau to come back because we don't have time," Lakers guard Steve Nash said. "Although we'd welcome him back this instance, we have to move on and try to win games without him."

Gasol originally was expected to miss at least four to six weeks after suffering the injury in the final minutes of the Lakers' win Feb. 5 against the Brooklyn Nets. He expressed optimism last week he soon would walk without crutches.

"It's close," D'Antoni said. "He might be using them, just barely."

So, we'll try to reach playoffs with only one big (Dwight) on a 8-man rotation...

Iron24th
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/lakers/ci_22661886/lakers-coach-mike-dantoni-suggests-pau-gasol-wont?source=rss

Decimotox
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
It can be done. I'm praying, just for crooner :D

deadman8586
02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
So, we'll try to reach playoffs with only one big (Dwight) on a 8-man rotation...

You damn right we are going try by going that route.

DC Laker
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
This is NOT news!

When the injury first happened, I heard "up to" 8 weeks. 8 weeks gets you up to the last handfull of games.

I think they all knew that time frame was possible, and he is just re-stating it.

At this point they have no idea exactly when he will be back. This is just managing expectations.

Iron24th
02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
^ I think he first stated being back in late march at worst, now we're talking about mid-april at best.

Vinylman
02-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Just think if we could turn Pau's contract into two young wing players and a veteran big...

How would everyone think about our chances then?

yeah... thats what i thought

fmn
02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
as i'm one of the few who actually thinks pau is a very valuable asset, and great post player, i'm going to stay positive on this. while i realize that we have no bigs besides d12, and MWP is starting to wear down playing against bigger players, i'm hoping that we can just hang on and squeeze into the playoffs. pau should return mid april, and be well rested to provided a determined and strong finish to his/our season. when he is healthy, he can play better defense, and we all know his offense is off the charts. this could be the best thing that has happened for us all season! running on all cylinders, the lakers are a very dangerous team.

LaLa_Land
02-25-2013, 12:40 PM
I'd love for them to be in position for a playoff spot - as well as for Pau to come back and get a game or two under his belt before the postseason.

We'll be able to have pretty clear vision in terms of what this squad is made of tonight. On the road, a back-to-back, 8-man rotation. If we can win, I'll have a clear conscience going forward.

Houston has been playing good lately. But when crunch time hits during the last 10 games of the season, I just don't trust the 29th ranked defensive squad in the league. We aren't much better at 22nd, but with Dwight getting healthier and more active the sky is the limit. I personally think we'll end up with the 7 seed.

GREATNESS ONE
02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
As long as he's ready for when we'll need him most.

Playoff time.

First though, we need to focus on every game and get there.

Rocco007
02-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Doesn't matter...not many teams are big up front...so we can get away with MWP at 4 and Clark at the 5...
Its been effective so far...wouldn't mind picking up another big though...

Hellcrooner
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
He should have taken the Surgery.
In fact providing there is playoffs for us, and he plays he needs to take it right after we are out if he is lucky eough to not make the injury worse during said games.

fmn
02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Doesn't matter...not many teams are big up front...so we can get away with MWP at 4 and Clark at the 5...

doesn't matter? in the playoffs? the game slows down in the playoffs, and the ball is pounded down low. pau would be an essential, instrumental 'luxury' to have at this vital time of the year. we need him or d12 to be on the court at ALL times during playoff game. i wouldn't mind seeing them both on the court playing together for stretches of games also.

Swift Game
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Not sure why Mitch did not consider bringing in K. Martin..now the Knicks picked him up....would have been some insurance in the mean time.

Lakers cannot go that far without Pau playing at a high level anyway but I think they really should have made the trade with Minnesota when they had the chance. I said back in December it will come back and bite them which it has and will.

With Pekovic, Williams and Barea this team could have gave S.A., the Clips or OKC a run for sure. And I don't care to hear about his contract being more attractive to move because it didn't help josh smith, al Jefferson or milsap get more value. Just a thought.

GailGoodrich
02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Injuries happen. There's no predicting their occurrence or severity. If there's a silver lining in Pau being out it's that D12 has had nowhere to hide now that he's the sole starting center on the team. Kobe has had to learn to play with him instead of angling to get Pau more minutes, and D12 is having to learn how to stay in the game even when his shoulder is killing him.

If Pau heals up and we make the playoffs, I expect the team will have found a good balance between D12, Nash and Kobe as starters, making it easier to fit Pau in at the 5 off the bench and in spot minutes at the 4 in relief of Metta/Clark. (The one player who makes any of this work is actually Clark, who can play defense at any position, giving us the kind of flexibility that I think Mike Brown imagined Ebanks was going to give him.)

fmn
02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Injuries happen. There's no predicting their occurrence or severity. If there's a silver lining in Pau being out it's that D12 has had nowhere to hide now that he's the sole starting center on the team. Kobe has had to learn to play with him instead of angling to get Pau more minutes, and D12 is having to learn how to stay in the game even when his shoulder is killing him.

If Pau heals up and we make the playoffs, I expect the team will have found a good balance between D12, Nash and Kobe as starters, making it easier to fit Pau in at the 5 off the bench and in spot minutes at the 4 in relief of Metta/Clark. (The one player who makes any of this work is actually Clark, who can play defense at any position, giving us the kind of flexibility that I think Mike Brown imagined Ebanks was going to give him.)

i agree completely..... if pau comes back healthy and rested, the lakers could be a very dangerous team. his absence may have been a blessing in disquise for us......

LA_Raiders
02-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Dang

Lakers Ghost
02-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Howard seems to be always in foul trouble. d'antoni doesnt play sacre at center. watching lakers play there is no way mwp can guard pf.

lakers4sho
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
we each need to pitch in a little bit to get pau a new set of big boi pants. i think they sell packs of 7 at Costco it saves us about a buck fifty for each one.

Lakers Ghost
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
we each need to pitch in a little bit to get pau a new set of big boi pants. i think they sell packs of 7 at Costco it saves us about a buck fifty for each one.

someone has gone shopping for big boi pants in the past:eyebrow:

THETENXU
02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Cool I wish him a speedy recovery. Can someone make the game thread against nuggest already.

The goods
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
He better come back rested and ready to ball or its bye bye Pau in the off season.

killabeez
02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
It will be a welcomed return if he doesn't play like his last 2 years in the playoffs.

PurpleLynch
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Everyone is forgetting Sacre. We have a big and I'd give him some minutes. This guy bleeds purple and gold :laugh2:.

Hellcrooner
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
He better come back rested and ready to ball or its bye bye Pau in the off season.

its going to be nearly imposible to trade him in the offseason unless we take a BAD trade.
he is got leverage now.

Tree Rollins
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
We were exposed pretty quickly last night by the 2nd best coach in the league. What the rest of the league should have already known was hammered home, we are super thin down low.

If Dwights out, go to the basket relentlessly. It was a layup drill w/o him last night.

We need Pau badly on that 2nd unit. Someone like Birdman would have been a great fit in his place. It's like JV vs. Varsity out there on the glass w/o Dwight.

Tree Rollins
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
its going to be nearly imposible to trade him in the offseason unless we take a BAD trade.
he is got leverage now.

He's on a huge expiring contract. His value will be at it's highest in 2 seasons.

With the new CBA, teams are going to be just as concerned with dropping the $19mil off their books as they are with Pau resigning w/ them.

Still, he won't be dealt this offseason. His value will be it's highest near the deadline. That's when we'll move him unless we're playing really, really well.

Mcdoh
02-25-2013, 09:04 PM
hope we sign another big body but no idea who we can sign.. warrick?

deadman8586
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Not sure why Mitch did not consider bringing in K. Martin..now the Knicks picked him up....would have been some insurance in the mean time.

Lakers cannot go that far without Pau playing at a high level anyway but I think they really should have made the trade with Minnesota when they had the chance. I said back in December it will come back and bite them which it has and will.

With Pekovic, Williams and Barea this team could have gave S.A., the Clips or OKC a run for sure. And I don't care to hear about his contract being more attractive to move because it didn't help josh smith, al Jefferson or milsap get more value. Just a thought.

It's because K-Mart is a prick that's why.