PDA

View Full Version : Can the Denver Nuggets Realistically Win a NBA Title

Utd7
02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
The Nuggets are a well constructed, balanced team with good depth. They have a good core consisting of Gallinari, Chandler, Faried, McGee, Lawson, A.I. etc but they don't have what many would consider a legitimate go to guy superstar. Iguodala is a former All-Star and a good player but I don't think many would consider him a legit number one. With that being said, can they win an NBA title as currently constructed?

KnicksorBust
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
No.

Tmath
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Yes

shep33
02-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Very solid team that's fun to watch, but no chance they win a title with this squad. They're better than a lot of teams out west, but the style they play isn't very effective come playoff time. Denver is one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

Don't see them getting by the Spurs, Clips, or Thunder

sunsfan88
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
When was the last time that a team who had 0 all stars won the championship?

DanG
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
too bad on the road.

Minimal
02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Get to the finals? Yes
Win a championship? No

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-24-2013, 05:48 PM
In today's NBA, I just don't think they can win without having a star. I don't see them as good as Oklahoma City, San Antonio, or the Clippers either.

Don't think the 04 Pistons did IIRC.

EDIT: Ben Wallace was an all star. So forget what I said lol.

hugepatsfan
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
The Pistons are the one exception, but other than them when was the last time a team with a legitimate superstar won a title? If you don't have a top 5 player in the NBA you aren't winning a championship. That's why the NBA's parity in terms of title teams is laughable compared to the other sports. It's far and away the most individual-based team sport.

b@llhog24
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Nope, their lack of a legit star/post presence puts a cap on their ceiling.

b@llhog24
02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
The Pistons are the one exception, but other than them when was the last time a team with a legitimate superstar won a title? If you don't have a top 5 player in the NBA you aren't winning a championship. That's why the NBA's parity in terms of title teams is laughable compared to the other sports. It's far and away the most individual-based team sport.

Depends on if you consider Isiah a "superstar."

Minimal
02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
In today's NBA, I just don't think they can win without having a star. I don't see them as good as Oklahoma City, San Antonio, or the Clippers either.

Don't think the 04 Pistons did IIRC.
Ben Wallace was an all star before they won the championship.
And in 2006 there were 4 all star players from Detroit.

bahama0811
As a Nuggets fan I hate to say it, no...

shep33
The pistons are the only exception, but they were on of the greatest defensive teams in NBA history. The Nuggets are 26th in points allowed.

Nuggets aren't far off though.

Guppyfighter
02-24-2013, 05:54 PM
The pistons are the only exception, but they were on of the greatest defensive teams in NBA history. The Nuggets are 26th in points allowed.

Nuggets aren't far off though.

Use efficiency, they play the second fastest pace.

Minimal
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't know about you, but I think Nuggets will perform really well against OKC and SA in this playoffs, I think they have a legitimate chance to get to the finals.

Utd7
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
I wonder what their cap space situation is like? Maybe they can sign a "superstar" in 2014. If not they have young, tradable assets they can use to get a star if/when they become available.

Borough
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
I doubt there regular season success will translate to post season success, they need that go-to guy, or for every individual to step up there game.

shep33
02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Use efficiency, they play the second fastest pace.

I think they're 13th in defensive efficiency. That's my bad. Still though, I think they'll struggle against the West's elite teams.

Nobody has really played many meaningful games for the Nuggets either.

Iggy had a couple 2nd round runs in the east. Gallo, Faried, Lawson, McGee... not much experience there.

Love watching them play, but getting past teams like the Spurs, OKC and the Clips will be tough.

Guppyfighter
02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
I think they're 13th in defensive efficiency. That's my bad. Still though, I think they'll struggle against the West's elite teams.

Nobody has really played many meaningful games for the Nuggets either.

Iggy had a couple 2nd round runs in the east. Gallo, Faried, Lawson, McGee... not much experience there.

Love watching them play, but getting past teams like the Spurs, OKC and the Clips will be tough.

Yeah, they probably won't.

blastmasta26
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't see them making it out of the West.

Bishnoff
02-24-2013, 06:30 PM
No.

2-ONE-5
02-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Very solid team that's fun to watch, but no chance they win a title with this squad. They're better than a lot of teams out west, but the style they play isn't very effective come playoff time. Denver is one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

Don't see them getting by the Spurs, Clips, or Thunder

That is just not true, they are mid pack in overall defense and adding a lock down defender like Iggy makes a huge difference in the playoffs too.

JEDean89
02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
I'll tell you this. Ty Lawson, Danilo Gallinari, Iggy and Faried are better then some of the allstars from this year. Ty and Gallo will be allstars next year. Look at both of their 2013 numbers and tell me otherwise.

Ty Lawson's last 10 games
22.7 ppg 8.7 assists on 50% shooting

he is basically the second coming of Tony Parker.

seikou8
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I'll tell you this. Ty Lawson, Danilo Gallinari, Iggy and Faried are better then some of the allstars from this year. Ty and Gallo will be allstars next year. Look at both of their 2013 numbers and tell me otherwise.

Ty Lawson's last 10 games
22.7 ppg 8.7 assists on 50% shooting

he is basically the second coming of Tony Parker.

top 10 not in the top 5

todu82
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
No, they need an impact player to take them to the next level.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
It may be unlikely but of course it is possible. The only team that really gives them major matchup problems in the West is OKC. If somebody knocks out OKC then it would be a wide open field in the West for Den/SA/Memp.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-24-2013, 07:29 PM
No! They are part of that group of very good, but obviously not good enough, teams. Denver, Memphis, Indiana, Golden State, Brooklyn, Atlanta... I'd probably put the Clippers and Knicks in that group too.

utl768
02-24-2013, 07:59 PM
they have no chance

there in the worst spot a team in the nba can be because they are good enough to win 50 games every year but there not good enough to win a title which means they stay in this purgatory until someone else comes along who doesnt have loyalty in this crop of players

Guppyfighter
02-24-2013, 08:00 PM
they have no chance

there in the worst spot a team in the nba can be because they are good enough to win 50 games every year but there not good enough to win a title which means they stay in this purgatory until someone else comes along who doesnt have loyalty in this crop of players

Pretty dumb sentiment. Spurs are good enough to win the title and were pretty close last year.

Edit: For some reason I thought you were talking about the Spurs. Have no idea why. Sorry.

shep33
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
That is just not true, they are mid pack in overall defense and adding a lock down defender like Iggy makes a huge difference in the playoffs too.

Yeah, that's my bad. They're 26th in points allowed, but 13th in defensive rating.

SoFreshNsoClean
02-24-2013, 08:20 PM

All star balloting is a popularity contest. Lol @ putting stock into that.

IgglesFanInCO
02-24-2013, 08:40 PM
not right now

but they arent that far off from being contenders

they need McGee to develop, and ty/gallo to step up in crunch time, better perimeter defense, and a coach not named George Karl

MaloDaw9
02-24-2013, 09:17 PM
What i like most about the Nuggs is they play with alot of effort and i can appreciate that.

The playoffs is a different animal though and having that "go to" guy really,really helps

sunsfan88
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
All star balloting is a popularity contest. Lol @ putting stock into that.

Yea and yet every team that has won a title has at least 1 all star on the team...go figure.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Denver is one of the youngest teams in the league. With Gallo/TY/Faried all developing nicely. They could have 2-3 all stars in the future. If McGee comes around that is not a bad foursome. Its not like the Spurs and Lakers are going to be around that much longer. Denver will have some expiring contracts and extra draft picks to fill the SG spot in the future. I'm not saying they will win. I'm saying it is too soon to tell.

Mell413
02-24-2013, 09:53 PM
No. The only way they could win one is if Lebron and Durant get hurt.

JEDean89
02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Yea and yet every team that has won a title has at least 1 all star on the team...go figure.

do you have any idea how few teams have won since 2000? lets see, the Lakers, San Antonio, The Pistons, The Heat, the Mavericks the Celtics. So you realize that the vast majority of allstars never win a championship. If you think that having Steph Curry or Brook Lopez who are allstars means you are any closer to a chip than the Nuggets you are crazy. The Nuggets have players who will be perennial allstars when it's all said and done. No they won't win the chip this year but they are young and have this core together for the next 4 years if they resign iggy. Next year 1-3 of these 4 players will be allstars. Lawson, Iggy, Faried, Gallo. The nuggets are like the only team to be in the playoffs and not as an 7th or 8th seed to not get an allstar. It's because they are so balanced that their highest scoring player scores 17 a game and he scored more like 15 when the balloting was really going on.

jp611
02-25-2013, 02:24 AM
Nuggets aren't really bad defensively though... They just play such a fast pace that teams score a lot... When they need stops they can get them and that's all that matters

I think that Denver could win a championship, I really like their squad and if healthy come playoff time they could be tough

rockbottom2010
02-25-2013, 02:28 AM
to be honest....i like what they have...young and athletic with a great coach behind them...within 2-3 years they will be in the nba finals....right now its okc, lac, and sas......