PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to win on the road!

ChiTownPacerFan
02-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Looking at home vs. away records, it's insane how much of a difference it makes. My Pacers have an 82% winning percentage at home, and a 42% winning percentage on the road. The Nuggets win almost 90% of their home games and only 38% of their road games! It's like they have to play a different game away from the Pepsi Center. I know this is nothing new, but it's always seemed fishy to me.

So what's the explanation? Is it psychological? Is it a comfort level thing? Is it the effect of travel? Is it the power of the home fans? Is it the way refs are instructed to officiate games? Why is there this massive disparity?

4milesperday
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Because the fans give you extra energy at home and you're used to the arena...you know your sweet spots.

Hitman 3:16
02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
One bad call against the road team can lead to a change in the momentum in favor of the home team, which leads to a domino effect that doesn't play in a favor for the road team. Officials get highly influenced by rowdy fans.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Because the fans give you extra energy at home and you're used to the arena...you know your sweet spots.

The extra energy I understand, but I don't buy the sweet spots thing. I play basketball. My sweet spots are the same no matter what gym I'm playing in.

Lakers + Giants
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
It's psychological. Players feel much more comfortable playing in front of their crowd and having the crowd cheer them on instead of booing them.

Lakers + Giants
02-24-2013, 05:29 PM
It's psychological. Players feel much more comfortable playing in front of their crowd and having the crowd cheer them on instead of booing them.

b@llhog24
02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
It affects role players more than anything. The best of the best aren't generally phased by crowds. In fact I remember Shuttlesworth saying that he lives to silence the opposing crowd, or something along those lines.

Guppyfighter
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Home town calls, jet lag.

lakerboy
02-24-2013, 05:46 PM
A sports data analyst for the Knicks told me that on average, the home team is +3 points in the NBA.

You can compute this using Microsoft Excel.

Analysts say they do not have any solid explanation for that +3, but most people believe that the referees give a slight advantage to the home team.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
A sports data analyst for the Knicks told me that on average, the home team is +3 points in the NBA.

You can compute this using Microsoft Excel.

Analysts say they do not have any solid explanation for that +3, but most people believe that the referees give a slight advantage to the home team.

Sounds about right. I guess the question is whether the referees are instructed to do so, or whether they are affected by the crowds. Regardless, the NBA needs to be instructing refs to be more objective regardless of whether a team is at home or away.

TyrionLannister
02-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Time changes. East coast to west coast is a 3 hour difference, ****s with your sleeping habits.

Becks2307
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Also you are leaving from a hotel you likely got to the day before. Not with your family, away crowd, biased refs, etc etc

all the little things add up.

Slug3
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Also has anyone seen the visiting teams locker rooms? Some of these places are horrid and I'm sure it's to make the visiting team as un comfortable as possible.

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2013, 06:34 PM
There is a psychological effect for sure. There are documented cases where people perform better when in front of a crowd. Some runners, when they practice and are running alone, cannot replicate their best times. They need somebody else to run against. And get a crowd that is cheering for you? It is 95% psychological. And this is not applied to sport, but almost all areas of performance, most notably music.

The other areas of impact are the officials (who will make calls in favour of the home team), and perhaps familiarity, though the courts are pretty standard, so I'm not sure what difference there could be in this respect.

There is no denying the fact that teams play at different levels depending on where they play and who is in the crowd.

mrker
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Its just part of the natural progress championship teams go thru,

The short version is this,,,, collect core players, learn to win 41 or more, then learn to dominate @ home and that gets you to 50 wins, then championship teams learn to win on the road, good teams dominate @home, championship teams win on the road

ChiTownPacerFan
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Its just part of the natural progress championship teams go thru,

The short version is this,,,, collect core players, learn to win 41 or more, then learn to dominate @ home and that gets you to 50 wins, then championship teams learn to win on the road, good teams dominate @home, championship teams win on the road

Meh, the Heat won the championship last year going 28-5 at home, and 18-15 on the road. It's true of all teams.

Trueblue2
02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Looking at home vs. away records, it's insane how much of a difference it makes. My Pacers have an 82% winning percentage at home, and a 42% winning percentage on the road. The Nuggets win almost 90% of their home games and only 38% of their road games! It's like they have to play a different game away from the Pepsi Center. I know this is nothing new, but it's always seemed fishy to me.

So what's the explanation? Is it psychological? Is it a comfort level thing? Is it the effect of travel? Is it the power of the home fans? Is it the way refs are instructed to officiate games? Why is there this massive disparity?

Denver has such a huge home field advantage because of the altitude.

MiamiBoy77
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
You play in the same arena at least 41 times a year. You get used to it.

Also with the cold of north, altitude of Denver, and different little other things that the home team is used to on a nightly basis. Even things like pregame meals and routines.

kingsdelez24
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM

It's the altitude... Nuggets have always been among the best in the league at home

4milesperday
02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
You play in the same arena at least 41 times a year. You get used to it.

Also with the cold of north, altitude of Denver, and different little other things that the home team is used to on a nightly basis. Even things like pregame meals and routines.

Thank YOU SIR. I went to Denver once and I felt dizzy as hell when I went for a early run. People dont realize what altitudes does to you...

bholly
02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
The other areas of impact are the officials (who will make calls in favour of the home team), and perhaps familiarity, though the courts are pretty standard, so I'm not sure what difference there could be in this respect.

Different arenas have substantially different sight-lines and lighting that can have a real effect on shooting.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Different arenas have substantially different sight-lines and lighting that can have a real effect on shooting.

I imagined there was something. Good point.

Nick O
02-25-2013, 02:25 AM
the celtics used to be great on the road the last couple years.. cause it seemed to me guys like Pierce and KG loved going into other buildings and shutting the crowd up.. they almost as good at home and on the road which is basically never seen... its harder when your not getting the cheers...

Nick O
02-25-2013, 02:27 AM
altitude is HUGE factor.. however teams would often do better if they dont fly in the day before.. beause you can get pretty dizzy.. usually its best to get there the day of.. however im pretty sure there is a correlation with denver at home and having great second halfs compared to the opposing team.. altitude hits ya

BirdIsTheWord
02-25-2013, 03:03 AM
It can be pretty infuriating watching the Nuggets blow out a +500 team at home then lose to a lottery team 2 nights later on the road. I guess the altitude makes that big a difference. Plus the home crowd is pretty great.

tp13baby
02-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Altitude. Yes. The traveling on road trips gets to players I feel. This might also be me but I feel most back to back games are on the road. Unless Im smoking something. To Denvers credit though this year a lot of their struggle on the road has been to the beginning of the year. All they did is play road games.

Denver played 22 road games out of 32 games to start the year. So they had to travel a lot.

Now Denver has 10 road games left in the year with a total of 25 games remaining. Traveling I feel does have a lot to do with it.

Lim
02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
being tired as **** from traveling and jet lag and not sleeping in your own bedroom. + unfamiliarity with the arena and hostile crowds.

TrueFan420
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Role players do better at home than road.

IndyRealist
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Also, if you're not used to playing with NHL ice under the court, the ultra-cold temp can be a huge home advantage.

JEDean89
02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Most road games take place under tougher conditions. A lot of times its like 3 games in 4 nights and 5 games in 7 on inter conference road trips. This makes it a lot harder to win when instead of practicing you are flying traveling in a bus and staying in hotels. This is the phyiscal side of the coin.

The mental side has been spoken of, the crowd, the familiarity of the court, the homecourt pride, the refs (i dunno about the refs but usually homecourt + superstar = 15 ft's at least.) I think it's the synergy of the two that makes the road such a difficult place to win but just ask the Spurs who are 23-11 if you want the answer to road success.

Sactown
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Because, just like in the Harlem Shake, you have to bring the ACTION!

But realistically, because you don't get the luxury of sleeping in your own bed, of waking up and eating in your own kitchen, doing your daily rituals, in your own city, well rested usually, aren't bouncing around on a plane. Instead you're usually light on sleep, sleeping in a random bed, eating through customer service, arriving in someone elses arena.

b-ballistic
02-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Most bench players don't play very well on the road

rockbottom2010
02-26-2013, 08:11 AM
simple...the fans are the biggest distraction for road teams