PDA

View Full Version : Blog: What John Tortorella Must Do To Help The Rangers

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
What John Tortorella Must Do To Help The Rangers

Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:00 pm by Joe Blute

This team is getting ridiculous. They are becoming unwatchable. The Rangers have not lived up to incredibly high expectations so far this season and I believe they hit a new low point Saturday in Montreal. There have been many problems with the team and many fans have been speculating to what seems to be the main problem. The top guys havenít been playing well at all, their defense has been awful, the power play is dreadful, and now the injury bug is starting to bite. There is no question that these are all problems that the Rangers have and many more that I didnít say. But is John Tortorella starting to lose this team? The Rangers are going through the motions as of now but how much of the responsibility falls on John Tortorella? I have said many times John Tortorella is a heck of a hockey coach and his skill will really be tested in the upcoming weeks as this team continues to go through so much adversity. I feel John Tortorella must do some things to get this team headed in the right direction. For starters I feel that he must adapt his system to this new hockey club. The Rangers are more of a talented team than they have had in the past. Instead of all the grinding and shot-blocking they should let their talent take over. They should let the players create their own chances instead of sticking to a system of grittiness. I feel this would benefit the Rangers the most going forward. Secondly, I believe that he shouldnít be so strict with everyone on the team. If anyone makes a mistake I donít always think the solution is benching the players. It could hurt their confidence and maybe get them off their game. I believe he should send the guys out there at times and see if these players can redeem themselves more often. And finally I feel Tortorella should play the best players. If Kreider or Miller is playing better than Richards or Gaborik (given the right situation) then by all means let the kids play. Sometimes I think Torts doesnít trust his young players enough. He should keep using them and I believe he is going to in this stretch of time as injuries continue to mount. John Tortorella is a great coach, he will need to be even better to help this team advance as they go through combat.
Link (http://bluelinestation.com/2013/02/24/is-john-tortorella-the-problem-for-the-rangers/)

bsi
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Link (http://bluelinestation.com/2013/02/24/is-john-tortorella-the-problem-for-the-rangers/)

Said an 18 year old first time blogger.

Quote "I am 18 years of age and thrilled to be writing for my first Ranger blog!!!" -Joe Blute

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
While he might not be the oldest or most experienced blogger he has just as much right to his opinion as you or I. It is not like he is the only Rangers fan to question Torts. I respect your loyalty to Torts but I still have not heard an explanation from you why Torts as coach holds no responsibility for when things go badly.

fingerbang
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Said an 18 year old first time blogger.

Quote "I am 18 years of age and thrilled to be writing for my first Ranger blog!!!" -Joe Blute

lol

fingerbang
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
While he might not be the oldest or most experienced blogger he has just as much right to his opinion as you or I. It is not like he is the only Rangers fan to question Torts. I respect your loyalty to Torts but I still have not heard an explanation from you why Torts as coach holds no responsibility for when things go badly.

I don't like hearing people stay stuff like this:

For starters I feel that he must adapt his system to this new hockey club. The Rangers are more of a talented team than they have had in the past. Instead of all the grinding and shot-blocking they should let their talent take over. They should let the players create their own chances instead of sticking to a system of grittiness.

It's a lot of "we need to do this or that" without actually explaining what this or that is.

bsi
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Because the players know the system, it hasn't changed. There's little to zero effort from our top players. If Tortorella changed the system and all of a sudden everyone was confused I could see it but it hasn't changed, and it was effective last year and it was effective in Tampa, there's no reason it won't work now.
I'll ask you this, do you see Callahan, Richards, Gaborik giving 100% out there? If you do you're watching different games than I am. Two 30+ goal scorers and a 40+ goal scorer can't find the net, it hasn't moved.

Also, I've said multiple times, I'm not pro or anti Torts, my problem is that there's a bunch of overpaid lumps coasting around the ice and the first solution everyone has is to fire the coach. This team should be able to play without a coach, we're that talented, replacing the coach doesn't change what's really wrong and that's the effort on the ice. I think everyone got a little too comfortable letting Nash carry the load here and now that he's gone they're being exposed.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
I understand what he means. Actually many Rangers fans have said the same thing. A good coach looks at a player and asks what he can do to maximize that players talents not what how can he force that player to adapt to my system. Last night down 2-3 goals he has Bickle and Gilroy playing more than Gabs? There is a time and place for everything. I question benching Gabs at that time. While the players bear some responsibility Torts is the captain of this ship. For us to act like Torts does not share in any blame is strange in my opinion. The PP has been below expectations for years no matter who the players are on it. If the PP is not where it should be why not bring in somebody that can help coach it?

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Because the players know the system, it hasn't changed. There's little to zero effort from our top players. If Tortorella changed the system and all of a sudden everyone was confused I could see it but it hasn't changed, and it was effective last year and it was effective in Tampa, there's no reason it won't work now.
I'll ask you this, do you see Callahan, Richards, Gaborik giving 100% out there? If you do you're watching different games than I am. Two 30+ goal scorers and a 40+ goal scorer can't find the net, it hasn't moved.

Maybe the NYR are tuning out Torts just like Tampa did after a while. You have blamed so many players this season but defend Torts non stop. I have asked you before if Torts shares no responsibility for the team winning and losing then why is he even there?

fingerbang
02-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Torts is responsible for the team's play. He needs to get them fired up, he hasn't delivered. Having said all that, people blame the "system" that he created which is a bunch of bull. It works, the team just has to play better. People weren't complaining when we were blocking shots and grinding when we were in first place last year. We get off to a bad start and now everyone says it's our downfall.

bsi
02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
I understand what he means. Actually many Rangers fans have said the same thing. A good coach looks at a player and asks what he can do to maximize that players talents not what how can he force that player to adapt to my system. Last night down 2-3 goals he has Bickle and Gilroy playing more than Gabs? There is a time and place for everything. I question benching Gabs at that time. While the players bear some responsibility Torts is the captain of this ship. For us to act like Torts does not share in any blame is strange in my opinion. The PP has been below expectations for years no matter who the players are on it. If the PP is not where it should be why not bring in somebody that can help coach it?

Gaborik was actually hurting the team not helping when he was benched. Maybe if he had benched him earlier in the second we're only down 1-0? Look the only thing I'll agree on is the PP, and that's his assistant coaches problem and I agree that he should be turfed, it's been ineffective for too long and maybe that can reflect on Torts as he's picked him but the effort on the ice isn't there. The team isn't hunting anyone down, they're coasting around watching the play. The players need to be better.

The coach can accept responsibility but this isn't the time. Has anyone ever seen Richards, Callahan, and Gaborik play so bad in a week? These are our leaders, the guys that are supposed to be setting the pace for the team, they haven't shown up. If those three play better we win every game this week.

bsi
02-24-2013, 05:35 PM

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
I believe that the players play a role in a disappointing season as does the coach. If we say 100% of the blame is on the players makes me wonder what do we have a coach for then. The coach is supposed to motivate his players. The coach is supposed to figure out how to maximize his players talents. The coach is supposed to make sure that the team adds up to more than the sum of its individual talent. We have played to a level below the sum of our individual talent. We have lost to teams whose talent level is below ours. Can the coach turn this team around? I sure hope so. Is the coach blameless in this teams record? Not in my eyes. In regards to motivating players they can not live in fear of making a mistake to the point that they do not feel free to play their games. Mistakes happen to all players. Hockey is a game of constant turnovers. There are no perfect players or perfect coaches. Players can not be screamed at non stop. Sooner or later they will tune a coach out if that happens. There is a time and place for everything. Moderation is the key. Not too soft. Not too hard.

metswon69
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
I believe that the players play a role in a disappointing season as does the coach. If we say 100% of the blame is on the players makes me wonder what do we have a coach for then. The coach is supposed to motivate his players. The coach is supposed to figure out how to maximize his players talents. The coach is supposed to make sure that the team adds up to more than the sum of its individual talent. We have played to a level below the sum of our individual talent. We have lost to teams whose talent level is below ours. Can the coach turn this team around? I sure hope so. Is the coach blameless in this teams record? Not in my eyes. In regards to motivating players they can not live in fear of making a mistake to the point that they do not feel free to play their games. Mistakes happen to all players. Hockey is a game of constant turnovers. There are no perfect players or perfect coaches. Players can not be screamed at non stop. Sooner or later they will tune a coach out if that happens. There is a time and place for everything. Moderation is the key. Not too soft. Not too hard.

I agree with this..

And every mistake is under the microscope that much more when you aren't scoring goals either even strength wise or on the PP to relieve the pressure on a defensive oriented team.

nyanks79
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Just let the players create. Haha great detail.

Just sitting there and blaming the coach is such a cop out. Torts has a cup and we had the 1 seed last year. We can play in the system and have success.

Does that mean he can never be blamed? Obviously not. He signed an extension and then Rangers got the 1 seed and got to the ECF. Hes not getting fired in the middle of this year and I highly doubt whatever happens hes getting fired after.

Its just a cop out to just say the coach stinks and takes the majority of the blame. But its usually the same posters.

bsi
02-24-2013, 10:05 PM

I've played a lot of hockey and I've never needed a coach to motivate me, and if the chance to play for the New York Rangers and an opportunity to play for the Stanley Cup isn't motivation enough for Richards, Gaborik and Callahan then we probably have the wrong guys here. Guys don't end up here because they are mentally soft. If the coach is upset with you it's probably because we are paying you to play a certain way and you aren't. Grow a set and do something about it, don't ball up in a lump and float around the ice. Who are we talking about 5 year olds? Are we seriously saying that these guys are lazy because the coach is too hard on them? They aren't scared of making mistakes, if that were the case they'd be skating harder. I personally think they all got a little too comfortable during the lockout believing all the hype around the teams chances and forgot what it took to get to the top of the East last year, hard work, team work and dedication to the coaches system. Half azzing it won't get you to the top. Whether they like it or not Torts has this team until the end of the season and I'm happy he's giving it to them now, it will only make the team better as we go forward if they know what's expected of them. The same thing was done at the start of last year with regards to Gaborik and he ended up with 41 goals, that's his motivation in action and Richards was benched last year too and in the end he was one of our most clutch players last year and Richards himself said that Tortorella knew that putting him on a grinding line for a while would get him back to his roots and it worked, so tell me again about how to motivate players as I think Tortorella seems to know a thing or two about it.

BTW in a Tortorella coached system with everyone working together hockey isn't a game of constant turnovers, it's a simple game where we force the turnovers and limit the ones we make ourselves and it got us to the top of the East last year and a game away from the Stanley Cup final. Nobody was complaining about Tortorella last week when he went 7-2-1 in 10 previous games, or last year when we were top of the East, when he was NOMINATED FOR THE JACK ADAMS AWARD, remember that??? But some players take some nights off and all of a sudden the coach doesn't know what he's doing, can't motivate and is responsible for every loss they have....gimme a break.

metswon69
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Wrong thread..

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Yes hockey is a game of constant turnovers even Torts teams. If it was not a game of turnovers the puck would stay in 1 teams hands for the huge majority of the game. I have played at the HS and college level. I have played against former pro players and with minor league players. I have coached, reffed and owned a facility. Does spitting out our experiences make our opinions more or less valid? Coaches have won cups and later been fired including Torts. Yes when a team is winning most fans will not complain about the coaches or the players. When a team under-performs fans will look for reasons. That is logical. I'm usually very supportive of coaches but Torts is not a sacred cow that is not allowed to be questioned. Teams win and lose as teams. That includes both players and coaches. It is weird how Torts won the cup and Torts came in first. It seems he did these things himself (not the players) but when his teams lose he is not given any accountability and its is only the players that are losing.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Just sitting there and blaming the coach is such a cop out. Torts has a cup and we had the 1 seed last year. We can play in the system and have success.

Does that mean he can never be blamed? Obviously not. He signed an extension and then Rangers got the 1 seed and got to the ECF. Hes not getting fired in the middle of this year and I highly doubt whatever happens hes getting fired after.

Its just a cop out to just say the coach stinks and takes the majority of the blame. But its usually the same posters.

I have not seen any posters on this board say Torts takes the majority of the blame. The discussion has been between some posters saying he shares in the blame and some implying he does not share in the blame. It is not a cop out for fans to give their opinion. You can disagree but there is no reason to go any further than that. I'm a very optimistic fan. I have stood by Slats for years when people bashed him. Fans will often have different opinions on GMs, coaches and players. I think this team has more talent than most teams so I stay optimistic about our future. :)

metswon69
02-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Some of it is on the coach...

There has to be a reason why the Rangers still cant score on the PP, have problems creating in the offensive zone with quality skill offensive problems and to some degree why the team has been so up and down in their play this year.

Granted hockey is a fickel sport when it comes to standings on a year to year basis but this team should be better than one game over .500 in regulation. They have the best goalie in the league, a very good top 4 on defense, 4 very good scorers (based on history and 5 if you want to include Hags this year), and some tertiary guys who play well in different roles.

I don't think anyone is solely blaming it on Torts and neither should they but if the point is that maybe they aren't responding to him like they did in previous years then there is really no coming back from that. Once a coach loses his locker room its pretty much over. I think that needs more time to be determined but this team is having a very difficult time right now with some of the same things they have a hard time with in previous years and that's usually indicative of coaching.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2013, 10:52 PM
This thread got a little heated so I think we should just let it cool done a bit. As BSI pointed out in another thread we all want what is best for the NY Rangers. :)