PDA

View Full Version : Top Five GM's in the NBA

Guppyfighter
02-24-2013, 06:17 AM
I am curious to see what others say. I am going to wait to post mine so it doesn't influence the thread or get it on one specific GM.

LakersIn5
02-24-2013, 06:45 AM
people will answer morey but i really dont get the fascination with him. the farthest the rockets have reached in years is the 2nd round.

Raidaz4Life
02-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Mitch Kupchak
Masai Ujiri
Chris Wallace
Sam Presti
Danny Ferry

setman2000
02-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Masai Ujiri definitely in top 5.

Chronz
02-24-2013, 07:14 AM
people will answer morey but i really dont get the fascination with him. the farthest the rockets have reached in years is the 2nd round.

Trading for LeBron James will get you more wins than finding a diamond in the rough in the 2nd round. But the draft choice requires more insight. Why measure success by something so situational? If your the owner of the Milwaukee Bucks, do you hire Mitch Kupcek knowing much of his success had to do with the Lakers brand, or do you get a GM you know can make moves without the aid of his market?

Rndy
02-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Insert your favorite teams here. Not sure about top 5 but the way the Bulls were able to stay competitive after losing out on Miami big three. being able to draft and develop Deng, Noah, Rose, Asik, Gibson, Butler, and possibly Teague?

Garpax are in my top 3

sunsfan88
02-24-2013, 07:24 AM
How weird is it that I was going to make this thread soon?

Manimal
02-24-2013, 08:24 AM
R.C Buford
Sam Presti
Masai Ujiri
Danny Ainge
Daryl Morey

rockbottom2010
02-24-2013, 09:35 AM
wow.....alot of ppl are forgetting their gms....
(no order)
pat riley - ended up getting the best player in the world...he was born a winner

masai ujiri - even though he lost carmelo anthony, the nuggets are still a top 4 team in the WC

gary sacks - ended up acquiring the best point guard and the league...and on top of that have more than enough cap room in order to sign cp3 for a long term extension

R.C. Buford - ever since hes been the gm for the spurs....somehow makes the bench more deep...how...i have no idea...

and the 5th gm is a toss-up

either
John Hammond - took a risk by drafting Brandon Jennings....traded Bogut for Ellis....so far...its paying off
or
Darryl Morey - ended up acquiring the best SG for the next 10 years and getting Thomas Robinson

eternal slumber
02-24-2013, 09:43 AM

remember Yao Ming and T-Mac?

that's the main reason why the farthest they got is just a second round or did just slip out of your mind?

just imagine if Yao and McGrady was healthy with that 2009 team.

Brooks - McGrady - Artest - Scola - Yao

Lowry - Wafer - Battier - Landry - Hayes

i think that team could have made the west finals for sure.

nyyfan4life
02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Buford
Presti

Ferry
Ujir
Morey

Manimal
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
How does Ferry make the top 5? Isn't he the one who let LeBron walk away for nothing?

I forgot to mention Donnie Nelson in my earlier post. One of the top GMs in the league.

Rndy
02-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm amazed by the lack of respect the Bulls get on these forums. If you don't know 5 gms that is fine just pick yours and move on. But to act like a team that missed out on the big 3 and got number 1 seed two years in a row and now without their star are still in playoff hunt. And they have drafted and produced most of the good players on that team. If Paxon/Forman aren't in the top 5 you guys need to reevaluate your lists.

They have 3 all stars and one of them being MVP on their team they had a guy who made 2nd defensive team in Deng and Taj deserved to be in that group as well drafted and produced how many does your gm have that they drafted?

won co executive of the year awards sharing it with Riley who had one of the best FA acquisitions of all time. But hey they don't deserve to be on PSD top 5.

Greedy22
02-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Ujiri
Buford
Presti

First 3 that came to mind.

KingstonHawke
02-24-2013, 12:26 PM

that's the main reason why the farthest they got is just a second round or did just slip out of your mind?

There was nothing special about trading for the current scoring champ, or drafting Yao #1 overall. On the other hand, trading Gay for Battier was all time dumb in my opinion. Gay and McGrady on the wing together spacing the floor for Yao would've been crazy.

lakerboy
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm amazed by the lack of respect the Bulls get on these forums. If you don't know 5 gms that is fine just pick yours and move on. But to act like a team that missed out on the big 3 and got number 1 seed two years in a row and now without their star are still in playoff hunt. And they have drafted and produced most of the good players on that team. If Paxon/Forman aren't in the top 5 you guys need to reevaluate your lists.

They have 3 all stars and one of them being MVP on their team they had a guy who made 2nd defensive team in Deng and Taj deserved to be in that group as well drafted and produced how many does your gm have that they drafted?

won co executive of the year awards sharing it with Riley who had one of the best FA acquisitions of all time. But hey they don't deserve to be on PSD top 5.

Truth be told, Bulls have been in the ECF once in the past 5 years, and you are begging us to put yall in every top 5 list. Cry me a river.

lakerboy
02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Best in no order:
Spurs (late drafts and development)
Thunder (development)
Heat (FA GOAT)
Lakers (trade GOAT)
Knicks (best role players)

Worst:
Raptors (getting better, but yall gotta draft better!!! BARGNANI?)
Kings (no direction, nothing)
Suns (no vision at all.)
Wizards (bad contracts)
Bobcats (FO CANT DRAFT!!)

Dade County
02-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Pat Riley

I think the harden trade is the beginning of the end for Sam Presti.... If KD doesn't win a ring before his contract is up, KD will look back at that trade.

nyyfan4life
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
There was nothing special about trading for the current scoring champ, or drafting Yao #1 overall. On the other hand, trading Gay for Battier was all time dumb in my opinion. Gay and McGrady on the wing together spacing the floor for Yao would've been crazy.

Morey wasn't the GM when the Gay/Battier trade was made.

astrosmaniac
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
or any of those moves actually. On the other hand when he took over the supporting cast outside of battier was something along the lines of rafer alston, stromile swift, bob sura, juwan howard, mutumbo. and he turned it into what was said earlier.

JNoel
02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
How is Pat Riley not being mentioned?

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Kupchak
Riley...

Everyone else

barreleffact
02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Mitch is not getting enough love here. To not have him in your top 5 is blind hate more times than not.

In no order:
Spurs GM
Laker GM
Nuggets GM
Heat GM

After that it gets difficult:
Rockets had years of PF clog with no direction
Thunder have never pushed for that dominant big man
Bulls have a nice core and stellar coach
Warriors have drafted well of late

ManRam
02-24-2013, 02:43 PM

:laugh: Poor Bulls fans. So disrespected!

Paxson and Gar have done a nice job...but hell, I see plenty of bashing thrown at those two from your fellow fans. We're talking GMs here, so we're talking Gar...

Hiring Thibs was a great decision. Gar has only been the GM since what, like 2009? So he's signed Boozer to a really iffy deal. He did formulate a great bench and has maxed out the payroll to put a very competitive team out there. He was obviously pivotal in the drafting of Rose, Taj, Noah and Deng, but wasn't the GM when any of them (maybe Taj) were drafted.

He's done a solid job for sure, but as a GM, I don't see how I could honestly put him ahead of the greats, like Buford, Uriji, Presti, Ainge, Mitch and even Riley, whose success came in completely different ways (perhaps easier ways) than those other guys. Hell, I'd take Morey over him, who does a TREMENDOUS job in most every regard, especially when you realize that he hasn't found his success by simply signing stars.

It's not disrespectful to not have Foreman on these lists. Relax. He's close, probably universally top 10, but simmer down.

alexander_37
02-24-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't get how guys who either sign top FA's, luck out with first overall picks, or make the no brainer trades that any fan could do get so much respect as top GM's.

bholly
02-24-2013, 03:48 PM

This is exactly the type of opinion that leads to so many teams getting stuck in mediocrity instead of rebuilding properly. A GM oversees a genuine rebuild, which is going just about perfectly, despite having absolutely no luck, and you're saying he's doing a bad job because he hasn't won anything yet?

By late 2010 OKC had Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Thabo, that awesome Collison contract, and still hadn't gotten past the first round. Are you saying Presti hadn't done a good job up to that point?

Morey has shown the patience and the ability to rebuild properly that most owners/GMs would dream about if they weren't too stupid (or at least too focused on money rather than championships) to realize its value.

DR_1
02-24-2013, 03:49 PM
1. Kupcak/Kobe
2. Morey
3. GarPax
4. Ujiri
5. Buford

This is a tough list to make

Chronz
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
On the other hand, trading Gay for Battier was all time dumb in my opinion. Gay and McGrady on the wing together spacing the floor for Yao would've been crazy.
I dont see what makes it dumb. Nor do I see how Gay can space the floor better than Battier, thats like the exact opposite of what he would do. He would shrink the court and kill ball movement. That was the right move at the time, if only because Houston wanted to win as much as possible before the core died out. Having Gay would have been the better long term move tho.

For all intents and purposes, he was the GM.

IgglesFanInCO
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Glad to see Ujiri gettin some love, since he took over the organization has taken a completely different turn, winning every trade we participate in and not getting even a single bad/detrimental contract (although we'll see what happens with mcgee if Karl keeps depriving him of the minutes hes earned)

I dont know enough about GMs to make a list though, so i wont make one, people should stop just making assumptions of successful teams = best GM, i mean youre more likely to succeed with a good GM but that isnt the best way to judge GMs, so if people dont even know the names of the GMs they are ranking they should just stop

Verbal Christ
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM

if tmac and yao stay healthy they win ring(s). what darryl morey had to do to get out from under those contracts/situations was amazing.

DoMeFavors
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Billy King took a team that won 12 games in 3 years to a contender

Rndy
02-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Best in no order:
Spurs (late drafts and development)
Thunder (development)
Heat (FA GOAT)
Lakers (trade GOAT)
Knicks (best role players)

Worst:
Raptors (getting better, but yall gotta draft better!!! BARGNANI?)
Kings (no direction, nothing)
Suns (no vision at all.)
Wizards (bad contracts)
Bobcats (FO CANT DRAFT!!)
Truth be told, Bulls have been in the ECF once in the past 5 years, and you are begging us to put yall in every top 5 list. Cry me a river.

Bulls have been to ecf once in five years. Knicks how many? Great logic though thanks for sharing with us.

Vinny642
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Dell Demp's has done amazing...

We traded Ariza and Okafor for nothing, we trade AYON for Anderson in a S&T

We sign Lopez to an amazing deal.. Gordon was a good deal too, now we got to trade him this offseason and we will be good

Rndy
02-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Dell Demp's has done amazing...

We traded Ariza and Okafor for nothing, we trade AYON for Anderson in a S&T

We sign Lopez to an amazing deal.. Gordon was a good deal too, now we got to trade him this offseason and we will be good

Was he the guy that tried making that awful trade with the Lakers? If so Stern deserves the top 5.

topdog
02-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Hard to say definitively because of all the different circumstances of franchises and the ever-changing makeup of FO's but I'll go with:

1. R.C. Buford: it all starts at the top and there is no organization who plugs in talent and keeps executing with excellence like the Spurs.

2. Sam Presti: where he goes from here will define his true quality. He's had some nice picks that I have a hard time giving too much credit for but locking up his core for less and the gutsy Harden move (which I like very much) prove he is the head of the next class.

3. Larry Bird: I know he's gone but he deserves credit for the latest incarnation of the Pacers. It's hard to penalize him for the post-thug re-branding ("white") years and his finds in Hibbert, Granger and George show his quality as an evaluator of overlooked talent.

4. Chris Wallace: who knew that Marc Gasol and Z-Bo were the future of playoffs in Memphis? I also love the handling of the Rudy Gay contract - matching initially and now getting good value and $$$ savings with Daye (needed change of scenery), Prince and Davis.

5. Riley/Kupchak: in different markets would they be so successful? It's hard to say but they cannot be denied their due in building perenniel championship contenders and bring home the gold while making heists in the trade and free agent markets.

Rndy
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Larry Bird is a great mention as well what he's done with the Pacers is amazing it will be interesting to see what they can get out of Granger if they deal him. I think the only think that hurts the Pacers is the coaching and inability to use Hibbert.

ztilzer31
02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
He is right though. That Boozer deal does hurt him a lot. I mean think if you guys were in the hunt for a player like Dwight Howard next year? Sure he's made great picks (never thought Noah would be as good as he is), and some really solid signing, but that's a big contract for an above average NBA player in Boozer.

Not saying he's not top 5. Just saying it's not exactly a crime to have him off your list.

FriedTofuz
02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Should've fired colangelo and let masai uriji be the gm of the raptors :mad:

FriedTofuz
02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Daryl Morey, Pat Riley, masai Uriji, Sam presti,

--23--
02-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Hard to name the top 5, so i'll just name 10 in no order(expect for Spurs, OKC, Lakers)

RC Buford - Spurs
Sam Presti - OKC
Mitch Kupchak - Lakers
Donnie Nelson - Mavs
Danny Ainge - Celtics
Masai Ujiri - Nuggets
Garpax - Bulls
Bird - Pacers
Riley - Heat
Daryl Morey - Rockets

bholly
02-24-2013, 08:26 PM
billy king took a team that won 12 games in 3 years to a team with 2nd round exit expectations and an absolute ceiling of the ecf if they get hot, with no financial flexibility until 2016 and no draft prospects or trade assets.

fyp.

not to mention the beyond awful job he did with the Sixers all those years. he's in serious contention for bottom-5.

utl768
02-24-2013, 08:28 PM
pat riley takes a loose bowel movement on everyone else

ManRam
02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
How much do people credit Riley when it comes to LeBron and Bosh going there?

I feel like he gets too much. But that's just me.

kdspurman
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
How much do people credit Riley when it comes to LeBron and Bosh going there?

I feel like he gets too much. But that's just me.

That's true, I think the bond those guys had was probably a big reason too. Though he made it possible for them to make it happen

utl768
02-24-2013, 08:43 PM
pat riley found someone dumb enough to trade for marcus banks (key to getting bosh and lebron) worthless *** and got shaq for lamar odom and brian grant

those 2 moves alone put him on top

Rndy
02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
He is right though. That Boozer deal does hurt him a lot. I mean think if you guys were in the hunt for a player like Dwight Howard next year? Sure he's made great picks (never thought Noah would be as good as he is), and some really solid signing, but that's a big contract for an above average NBA player in Boozer.

Not saying he's not top 5. Just saying it's not exactly a crime to have him off your list.

A lot of peoples lists have gms that gave a bad deal out as well. They have done a lot more good then bad. And have turned into one of the best drafting teams in the NBA. Internationally they have done some nice things Asik turned into one of the best defensive post players in the NBA. Mirotic has won two rising star awards in a row in Europe. My more info I do on gms the more I realize I was overreacting but when your gm wins co executive of the year along with Pat Riley who got Lebron James and Chris Bosh you should get a mention in a top 5.

My list is

Sam Presti
R. C. Buford
Pat Riley
Mitch Kupchak
John Paxson/Forman they share the job basically

Just missing my list our Larry Bird,Masai Ujiri, and Morey who if he keeps doing what he's doing is going to move up quickly.

Cracka2HI!
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Portland GM Neil Olshey did a great job building the Clippers. Chris Paul has done a great job keeping it going!