PDA

View Full Version : Fans booing their own team

FriedTofuz
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm disgusted to hear such a thing, but it's apparently the reality for the Toronto raptors. Its no secret that bargnani has struggled, but he' done a lot to prove he is a good player and Toronto's guy for the past few years. I think one season of struggles isn't to go crazy. His name has popped up in trade rumours, but now that the deadline is past, he'll remain on the roaster. But when he's trying to play and have an impact for this team, people are booing him, I don't what good that'd do.Boo your own team? What's the point of cheering If you're going to boo. People say Toronto has good fans, but many are uneducated clowns who don't even know much about basketball, nor play it. I'm just disappointed to hear this happening, smh to whoever thought Toronto had good fans.

but my question is, is it just Toronto, any other teams and players? Do they deserve to be booed because of their struggles?

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Andrea Bargnani deserves to be booed. When Bosh left, they needed someone to step up and Bargnani didn't. What a fail 1st pick.. Right now, they are trying to make the playoffs and make a name for themselves but Bargnani is completely garbage.

heyman321
02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm disgusted to hear such a thing, but it's apparently the reality for the Toronto raptors. Its no secret that bargnani has struggled, but he' done a lot to prove he is a good player and Toronto's guy for the past few years. I think one season of struggles isn't to go crazy. His name has popped up in trade rumours, but now that the deadline is past, he'll remain on the roaster. But when he's trying to play and have an impact for this team, people are booing him, I don't what good that'd do.Boo your own team? What's the point of cheering If you're going to boo. People say Toronto has good fans, but many are uneducated clowns who don't even know much about basketball, nor play it. I'm just disappointed to hear this happening, smh to whoever thought Toronto had good fans.

but my question is, is it just Toronto, any other teams and players? Do they deserve to be booed because of their struggles?

He's not being booed because of struggling, it's because he consistently doesn't put in effort.

Tmath
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't agree with the booing, but Bargs made his own bed. Colangelo is also to blame for keeping him for so long, he should have seen this coming, but I don't blame him for not trading him at the deadline, because he literally had no value. Bargs should have been traded a long time ago though.

lol, please
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Raptor fans should take some notes from Warriors fans and support their team through struggles and maybe the team will repay them with a winning product. It's clear Toronto's fans don't deserve a winning franchise.

SMH!
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Raptor fans should take some notes from Warriors fans and support their team through struggles and maybe the team will repay them with a winning product. It's clear Toronto's fans don't deserve a winning franchise.

I think they are still supporting their teams, just booing someone who doesnt give 100 percent or underperforms, and what have warriors won that makes them a winning product?

Tmath
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Raptors fans have supported garbage teams for a long time, they are fed up and aren't accepting it anymore.

They cheer the guys that work hard, boo the guys that don't. As I said, I don't agree with it, but they definitely deserve a winning team.

Teams like Atlanta, Milwaukee & Memphis with winning records but fans still don't show up are the ones that don't deserve winning teams.

Nick O
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
its rediculous... lol they are booing him because hes struggling.. ya im suer the booes are gonna help him play better... smh

Sactown
02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't think it's about struggling, his comments about the team sucking, is probably what got him booed

bal_ravens
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Blatche, Nick Young, McGee all got booed for the Wizards. Mostly because they were selfish or lazy.

Sly Guy
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM

He's never been a good player. He's not put in effort. He's not gotten better. It's understandable why fans are upset at him. That being said...

Still wrong to boo. It was pointed out in the raps forum, that it's happened to the leafs too. And well, you can't use the excuse for leafs fans lacking knowledge about hockey (would be just about the stupidest statement ever written). I really don't think fans' knowledge is the cause of the booing. But yeah, booing your own guy before he even does something wrong in the game is disgraceful.

Bargnani probably deserves it, but there's plenty of blame to go around. The one guy not getting the heat for it is Colangelo, the guy who drafted him, and rammed him down every coach he's ever hired's throat to make him the centerpiece of a team that he's clearly not. The casual fans are led to believe he's a #1 kind of guy, but this year, he goes down with injury before the trade for Gay, and what happened? The team got markedly better. Even the casual fan isn't stupid enough to still believe Bargs is a critical piece of the puzzle. So Bargs comes back, and he becomes an easy target. The fans are mad, they feel like they've been lied to for 7 years, put faith in the wrong guy, and they have. BC should have expected something like this, though. Bargnani has worn out his welcome, and they may have to put him on the IR just to get him out of the situation.

It's wrong to boo your team because it serves no purpose. It doesn't make the guy better, it doesn't raise his value, it doesn't look good around the league, doesn't add to chemistry in the locker room, doesn't expedite his departure after the trade deadline.

Toronto fans are passionate ones. They're also long-suffering. They respect the blue collar guys that get out there dig pucks out of corners, drop the gloves to protect their stars, dive to the floor for loose balls. To us, hustle wins games. Bargnani is a fairy. He floats around and refuses to do these things even when he admits all they require from him is effort. He still never gives that effort, so when he isn't doing the things he's supposed to do well, then it magnifies his shortcomings and the fans get mad.

It's one thing to boo vince for burning so many bridges after he left. I've had the pleasure of booing him on a number of occasions. It's something else to boo the guy still in your colour jersey. It may take a Tie Domi kind of raptor effort to stop it, but I'm not sure who's gonna stand out there and slap our fans back into line...

Tmath
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
its rediculous... lol they are booing him because hes struggling.. ya im suer the booes are gonna help him play better... smh

You say struggling, others say not trying hard consistently. He has been "struggling" now for a long time.

Dol-Fan
02-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Our fans aren't booing the Raptors, they're booing a lazy d-bag who can't be bothered to give full effort.

Borough
02-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Its embarrassing when I go to a game and the "fans" are booing Andrea.
How do you expect someone to work hard in practice and in the weight room if he knows he just gonna go out there and get booed, its messing with his psyche.

He was putting up perrenial all star numbers the other year, sure hes not doing the typical things bigs need to do such as rebounding but if used correctly he could be a great 6th man.

Tmath
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
The Bargnani era needs to end in Toronto, hopefully this gets sorted out in the offseason.

Sadds The Gr8
02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
um we do...

You want us to take notes from the same fans that booed the owner and pretty much sabotaged the jersey retirement if Chris Mullin? ok.

DallasTrilla23
02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't think he deserves it tbh. Sure he's overpaid and isn't performing like toronto wants him to but its not like he's disrespecting the fans.

heyman321
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't think he deserves it tbh. Sure he's overpaid and isn't performing like toronto wants him to but its not like he's disrespecting the fans.

I saw him kick an orphan in the face yesterday actually.

asandhu23
02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I think they are still supporting their teams, just booing someone who doesnt give 100 percent or underperforms, and what have warriors won that makes them a winning product?

you are thinking of the last 17 years. Look at Warriors' history before that. Chris Cohan ruined the reputation of this once proud team.

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM

I hope you realize it's the same way in every city. There are smart fans and dumb fans across America.

Being from Philly, I see a TON of fatass drunk "iggle" fans on the daily, but there's also an equal amount of great fans who are truly students of the game.

We have no problem booing our own players because they usually deserve it. They get paid to play a ****ing children's game for crying out loud; you deserve to get booed if you aren't playing up to expectations.

I boo Spencer Hawes till my voice goes out at every Sixers game I go to because he's a walking, talking, $12,000,000 vagina.

CityofTreez
02-23-2013, 04:14 PM
This shouldn't be just about Toronto Raptor fans.
They don't boo "the team" and no fan base should boo their team.

I've never booed my Kings, and I'm a Kings fan!

Tha Truth
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
In terms of Bargnani, the guy doesn't try. How do you expect the fans to respect you if you don't give effort?

The fans have been patient with him so you really can't blame them.

FriedTofuz
02-23-2013, 04:27 PM
people say they boo bargnani because he's lazy and doesn't put effort on the defensive end? WRONG
As witnessed in yestardays game, THey boo him with any shot he takes, or even when he has possession of the ball. To whoever said bargnani hasn't improved, you're wrong, His numbers steadily increased, and had become a 20 ppg scorer over the past two seasons.

FriedTofuz
02-23-2013, 04:29 PM
and let me say, I HATE bargnanis game, But it makes no sense to boo him. Stop with this overpaid nonsense, in general, all athletes are overpaid, because they get hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions, for doing less significant things than doctors. Therefore, everyone is overpaid in the nba compared to other jobs. He's still a human, and I feel bad for the guy. Everyone was stressed at the beginning of the season, don't blame him for life because he apparently said " raptors are the worst team in the league"

smith&wesson
02-23-2013, 04:32 PM
um we do...

You want us to take notes from the same fans that booed the owner and pretty much sabotaged the jersey retirement if Chris Mullin? ok.

:laugh: that was hilarious

Tmath
02-23-2013, 04:33 PM
people say they boo bargnani because he's lazy and doesn't put effort on the defensive end? WRONG
As witnessed in yestardays game, THey boo him with any shot he takes, or even when he has possession of the ball. To whoever said bargnani hasn't improved, you're wrong, His numbers steadily increased, and had become a 20 ppg scorer over the past two seasons.

He was the number 1 option by default the last 2 years, of coarse he's going to score 20 PPG. The problem is, it didn't translate to wins.

PPG isn't why he is getting booed. Its because of his lack of effort and focus in the other aspects of the game. Fans want to move on, and are letting management know it.

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
um we do...

lol yeah that was pretty awkward.... Warrior fans shouldn't be talking, nor should any fanbase for that matter.

There are good and bad fans in every city folks.

ThaDubs
02-23-2013, 04:50 PM
He doesn't feel like putting in effort most of the time and he seems to just throw up open jumpers instead of squaring up and knocking them down. I would boo his *** because he's supposed to be helping out with the absence of Bosh and he doesn't feel like it.

BlueandWhite
02-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I don't know why your so focused on bargs. Trash talking toronto fans. So many fans do this. Including lakers fans on gasol, wizards on Blanche, pistons on singler, bulls on boozer, melo by knicks fans, mavs on odom, these are just examples I quickly googled. Is it right? No. I disagree within. But to say such bad things to raptors fans is ignorant and h
Unjustified.

dalton749
02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
i dont like the booing because he could be a very good peice for our team, but its completely understandable. since coming back he hasnt been asked to be a big part of the offence and has put in no effort to help at the other end. and he still continues to get worse at rebounding as if it were even possible. in the games since he has been back hes played 21 mpg and averaged 1.7 rebounds...hes a 7 foot tall pf/c thats pathetic.

SugeKnight
02-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Im pretty sure we boo'ed Stephen Jackson for the last few weeks he was a Warrior

ThunderousDemon
02-23-2013, 05:47 PM
I would never boooooooooooo my team.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2013, 05:51 PM
He's not being booed because of struggling, it's because he consistently doesn't put in effort.

When Yankees fans boo'd Jeter. That was embarassing and an abomination of fandom. Raptors fans boo'ing Bargnani is justified.

The post above explains.

heyman321
02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Bargnani's twitter: Smithers, were they saying boo or Boo-argnani?

lol, please
02-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Im pretty sure we boo'ed Stephen Jackson for the last few weeks he was a Warrior

My point was Warriors fans are known to be extremely supportive and loyal during the rough years, the Mullin retirement night was an embarrassment, but more the exception. Yea Jackson got booed, I mean it happens, but as a general fanbase the Warriors is top-notch and keeps the arena filled and don't really cause problems.

Sly Guy
02-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Bargnani's twitter: Smithers, were they saying boo or Boo-argnani?

lol, stole that for my fb wall.

mjt20mik
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
shame they are booing their own player.. i think its pretty pathetic

Rhino
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Oh boo hoo poor baby multi millionaire got his little feelings hurt cuz he's booed for not putting forth the effort. Aww isn't it a shame when PAYING fans actually expect effort out of their players.

CarlosJ23
02-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I thought he was being booed because he made comments about his team sucking or something like that..

Hawkeye15
02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Why shouldn't you boo your home team if they are sucking the floor up because of no effort? If guys are flying around, diving on the floor, playing their assses of, and are down 20, you don't boo them. But when they are going through the motions, not playing hard, complaining, or show no signs of life, by all means, boo the **** out of them.

sjbirds
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Its embarrassing when I go to a game and the "fans" are booing Andrea.
How do you expect someone to work hard in practice and in the weight room if he knows he just gonna go out there and get booed, its messing with his psyche.

He was putting up perrenial all star numbers the other year, sure hes not doing the typical things bigs need to do such as rebounding but if used correctly he could be a great 6th man.

Because he's paid millions to do it and its his job

Jesse2272
02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Im with Hawk the knicks suck right now that effort at msg gets booed period

you dont like it go play for another fanbase

bucketss
02-23-2013, 07:16 PM
he deserves to be boo'd his effort on the court is almost on hedo turkgolus level.

heyman321
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Why shouldn't you boo your home team if they are sucking the floor up because of no effort? If guys are flying around, diving on the floor, playing their assses of, and are down 20, you don't boo them. But when they are going through the motions, not playing hard, complaining, or show no signs of life, by all means, boo the **** out of them.

Perfectly said. It's amazing that pretty much every poster except me in the Raptors forum says otherwise.

nirvana235
02-23-2013, 09:08 PM

Oh go home you ignorant tool.

FriedTofuz
02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't get why people say he's not trying. I've tried to watch his movements on the court, He's trying to give a **** abou the team, at least trying to rebound and play D, why still boo him? let him try to improve himself at least. If he sucks and isn't putting effort, booing him isn't going to make him better, psychologically, it will make him worst. I hope people realize that. But of course, it all depends on ones mental toughness.

JNoel
02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Birdman is better.

Sadds The Gr8
02-23-2013, 09:17 PM
:facepalm: the defense and lack of effort is WHY they hate him. He hasn't improved...his shooting attempts have just went up since he was the #1 option.

Gibby
02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
First of all, its not one season of struggles. He has always been way overrated. Sure all he does score. But he was always a terrible rebounder and defensive player. He doesn't create shots for others and doesn't draw double teams. He has always been an inefficient scorer.

Gibby
02-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't get why people say he's not trying. I've tried to watch his movements on the court, He's trying to give a **** abou the team, at least trying to rebound and play D, why still boo him? let him try to improve himself at least. If he sucks and isn't putting effort, booing him isn't going to make him better, psychologically, it will make him worst. I hope people realize that. But of course, it all depends on ones mental toughness.

This is his 7th year in the league. He should have improved by now, if he was going to. Raptors announcer and front office have been making him out to be all star for all these years. This is just the fans of saying were not stupid.

When all the announcers and execs were saying he is an all star, i didnt hear anyone telling them to shutup.

Celtics33
02-24-2013, 05:52 AM
I was in Phoenix over the past week and went to the C's game on friday. I noticed most of the people attending the game wore C's jerseys and it honestly felt like the suns were the visiting team. The suns got more boo's, which surprised the heck out of me, as this was my first time in Phoenix.

heyman321
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I was in Phoenix over the past week and went to the C's game on friday. I noticed most of the people attending the game wore C's jerseys and it honestly felt like the suns were the visiting team. The suns got more boo's, which surprised the heck out of me, as this was my first time in Phoenix.

Maybe there's just a lot of Mass people who moved to Phoenix for work? That's different though.

Some Raptors fans are upset at the thought of people even booing Bargnani becuase, in a nutshell "it's mean and lowers his trade value", which pretty much everyone else is laughing at.

barreleffact
02-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Booing your own team or players is absolutely okay. It is the same as speaking ill of your family, you have more right to than anyone else. Also, this sport is entertainment for the fans. If they aren't happy with a product, they have every right to provide feedback. Otherwise you get a Charlotte Bobcat situation. The Laker fans have such a high level of expectation that they boo every now and then as well. That IMO is how it should be. You support your team when you buy their tickets. Anything else is just a gratuity.