PDA

View Full Version : Someone smarter than myself please explain NBA replay rules to me...

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Golden State vs San Antonio

Spurs up 2 in OT with 2 mins to go.

Out of bounds call is under review.

Replay clearly shows no Spur player touching it.

Refs take forever reviewing it and decide its Warriors ball.

I know it's not about overturning or a call standing like the NFL. It's about making a call based on the replay.

NO SPURS PLAYER TOUCHED IT.

What am I missing here?

Please help.

lol, please
02-23-2013, 02:38 AM
:violin: Not enough evidence to overturn, play/call stands.

kdspurman
02-23-2013, 02:41 AM
:violin: Not enough evidence to overturn, play/call stands.

Meh, it was clearly off Curry. Manu hit his wrist (after the ball was out) but it was clearly off of Curry. I think cause a foul wasn't called they gave it to Curry which I get, but it isn't right. Nor is it the sole reason SA lost. Wouldn't be surprised if the league says they "blew" that call

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:41 AM
:violin: Not enough evidence to overturn, play stands.

What are you talking about? That's not how the NBA replay works. It's not like NFL. Calls don't get overturned. Calls don't stand. They make the call based off the replay. Anybody who actually knows what their talking about care to offer their insight?

lincecum=future
02-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Even as a Warrior fan I thought it was pretty obvious Curry lost the handle on that ball. Warriors caught a break and Klay knocked down that jumper. Tough break should have been Spurs ball IMO

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:43 AM
I am not even mad about the loss. I was expecting it. Just concerned as an NBA fan that something so obvious still doesn't go by the rule book. I am honestly trying to keep my sliver and black glasses in my pocket on this one.

Guppyfighter
02-23-2013, 02:44 AM
It was a call they gave because Manu fouled him. It was a "make up" for the noncall.

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Even as a Warrior fan I thought it was pretty obvious Curry lost the handle on that ball. Warriors caught a break and Klay knocked down that jumper. Tough break should have been Spurs ball IMO

That was a helluva game by the Warriors, love what Mark Jackson is doing with them.

HouRealCoach
02-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Referees are not perfect

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:47 AM
It was a call they gave because Manu fouled him. It was a "make up" for the noncall.

What's the point of having a replay system then if they can ignore what the replay is clearly telling them? And they are certainly not allowed to make a foul call after reviewing replay.

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:48 AM
Referees are not perfect

Isn't that the point of having a REPLAY system? They get to watch it and discuss between the 3 of them and make the right call?

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 02:51 AM
They made a bad call. We don't need a thread for every bad call the refs make or made.

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 02:56 AM
They made a bad call. We don't need a thread for every bad call the refs make or made.

You are right. I was hoping I was missing something. That there was a rule about replays that would explain it. Or an angle that I didn't see that would make sense. It doesn't bother anyone else that an instant replay call like this can get so obviously blown in an OT game? I mean, we all know that NBA refs suck but that's the point of having replay there to help them out.

Guppyfighter
02-23-2013, 02:56 AM
What's the point of having a replay system then if they can ignore what the replay is clearly telling them? And they are certainly not allowed to make a foul call after reviewing replay.

Which is why they just gave the Warriors the ball.

HouRealCoach
02-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Referees are not perfect

It happens to everyone... Even with Instant Replay a referee will NEVER call a game 100% right

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 03:01 AM
People need to stop hating on referees. They make good and bad calls in all sports. It's not new that such calls can infuriate a fan. At the end of the day, Spurs still had a chance to win and didn't. Missed those three shots in the last minute and a half.

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 03:04 AM
People need to stop hating on referees. They make good and bad calls in all sports. It's not new that such calls can infuriate a fan. At the end of the day, Spurs still had a chance to win and didn't. Missed those three shots in the last minute and a half.

My problem is that they intentionally choose to do the wrong thing (according to the NBA rule book). This wasn't an in the moment mistake, or missed call. This wasn't human error. That doesn't bother you?

Monta is beast
02-23-2013, 03:08 AM
One of the best refs in the game, made a call in the spirit of the game. Clearly the ball went off Curry, but it went of Curry because Manu grabbed his wrist. There's a reason that official is in the finals this season. Right call.

HouRealCoach
02-23-2013, 03:10 AM
My problem is that they intentionally choose to do the wrong thing (according to the NBA rule book). This wasn't an in the moment mistake, or missed call. This wasn't human error. That doesn't bother you?

I promise everyone would be going crazy if you had NY in your name... I can't believe a Spurs fan actually started this thread

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 03:17 AM

Hey, I didn't watch the game. If Manu grabbed his wrist, what's to complain about? Bottom line is they had a chance to win and didn't. To blame the game on one call is absurd.

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 03:17 AM

Hey, I didn't watch the game. If Manu grabbed his wrist, what's to complain about? Bottom line is they had a chance to win and didn't. To blame the game on one call is absurd.

ThaDubs
02-23-2013, 04:27 AM
I was thinking it was going to be Spurs ball. But the refs were just trying to balance it out. It was off Steph but there was a slap. If they called the foul, the Spurs would be pissed bc the Dubs would get FTs. If they gave the Spurs the ball, the Dubs would be pissed bc there was a foul. The Spurs had also been getting a lot of calls going there way. I think the refs were doing what they could to keep both sides happy.

ThaDubs
02-23-2013, 04:28 AM

TP also missed the widest open layup in human history. Maybe that's why you lost?

mdm692
02-23-2013, 04:35 AM
The exact same play occured in the Lakers vs Blazers game but it went LA's way. If I'm not mistaken Batum was backing down MWP and he got smacked in the hand by MWP which caused the ball to go out of bounds. It was reviewed and it went LA's way. IMO on those situations if it's clear rhat the player is fouled they should give the ball to said player.

kdspurman
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
TP also missed the widest open layup in human history. Maybe that's why you lost?

That layup definitely wasn't wide open, there was like 2-3 guys around him. Like I said before that blown call was obviously a big mistake, but not the sole reason for the loss. On to the next one

Jdawg
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
That layup definitely wasn't wide open, there was like 2-3 guys around him. Like I said before that blown call was obviously a big mistake, but not the sole reason for the loss. On to the next one

Exactly, not once was the loss blamed on that call. I was interested in neutral fans responses to the use of replay here. Sounds like most are not too bothered because of the foul on Manu. That makes sense. I can see that point. I don't agree with it but thanks for the thoughts everyone.

nolafan33
02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Spurs/Warriors, Blazers/Lakers, Hornets/Mavs all had blown calls after going to replay last night.

kdspurman
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Exactly, not once was the loss blamed on that call. I was interested in neutral fans responses to the use of replay here. Sounds like most are not too bothered because of the foul on Manu. That makes sense. I can see that point. I don't agree with it but thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I was bothered by it, cause the point of the replay was to decide who the ball went off of. You can't go back and see if it was a foul, or make the wrong call cause a foul was missed. Just like if a guy gets a buzzer beater but traveled before his shot and it wasn't called, you can't go back to review if his shot was good and take it away for the travel. It was an obvious mistake.

Hopefully we win tomorrow in Phoenix and finish off this road trip 7-2. Big picture, that's pretty darn good

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 02:08 PM
In all honesty, do you think the SAS care? They know regular season is pointless.

IndyRealist
02-23-2013, 02:21 PM
What are you talking about? That's not how the NBA replay works. It's not like NFL. Calls don't get overturned. Calls don't stand. They make the call based off the replay. Anybody who actually knows what their talking about care to offer their insight?

That's not true at all. They make a call on the floor, and then in replay they can overturn the call or let it stand.

Zefflin
02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
I am not even mad about the loss. I was expecting it. Just concerned as an NBA fan that something so obvious still doesn't go by the rule book. I am honestly trying to keep my sliver and black glasses in my pocket on this one.

Are you serious man...do you watch miami heat games??? haha jesus

KnicksorBust
02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Referees are not perfect

/Close thread.