PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel the players care about winning and losing as much as the fans do?

NYC
02-21-2013, 11:57 PM
I thought this was a great question to ask.

As a fan, I get really upset when the Knicks lose, when they don't give forth effort and it kind of ruins my mood, gets me pissed for awhile. It bothers me until they can get another streak going, but the bad games in the season, looking back, still sting nonetheless.

I'm sure it's the same for any other passionate fan of any other team.

I try to judge how frustrated, upset - the players and coaches are by gauging their expressions in post game interviews. Sometimes they seem upset, sometimes, others like its not that big of a deal.

Do you feel given their status, wealth and level of celebrity they care as much as we do?

Some guys like Kobe and Garnett exhibit an amazing passion for winning that you'd love to have on your team, other guys like Carmelo, while still a top 5 talent, I wonder.

You can't expect every player to have a Jordan-like love and passion for the game, but you have to wonder if they did how much better your team could be. If they'd work on their craft and take every loss like it was heartbreak.

It almost seems inexcusable not to, especially for the ones making tens of millions. But who knows?

Hawkeye15
02-22-2013, 12:00 AM
There are two types of players. Those who play the sport because it makes them money, and those who play the sport because they love it. Option A is not as concerned, though they know being on a good team will help their bottom line. Option B would play the game for free, and losing absolutely kills them.

ManRam
02-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Some players care more than most fans. Some don't.

Some fans care more than most players. Some don't.

Hard to really generalize it.

I would say that if I had to guess, I'd imagine the drive that most players have is purely selfish. That's not necessarily bad, because wanting to play well individually can often lead to great things on the court. Young guys are probably more worried about securing that next big contract than anything else, and to do so means playing great basketball. Winning is the endgame, but there are a lot of other motivations that play into that. Not many young guys, and it's totally understandable, are willing to make individual sacrifices for the better of the team.

NYC
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
There are two types of players. Those who play the sport because it makes them money, and those who play the sport because they love it. Option A is not as concerned, though they know being on a good team will help their bottom line. Option B would play the game for free, and losing absolutely kills them.

I agree. I think losing generally gets to an older star near the end of his career like a T-Mac who wasted his youth never caring enough for the game. I just hope Melo doesn't fall into the same trap.

DreamShaker
02-22-2013, 12:14 AM
I think fans have less realistic expectations about it to a degree. People see athletes and their high salaries and expect them to be a certain way about losing. We expect them to be like Jerry West, MJ, and Kobe who were/are obsessed with winning and were hyper-competitive. Basketball seemed like EVERYTHING to them. Other guys, there are other things in their lives. Their day doesn't live and die by the result of the game. I guess, like ManRam said, is probably the same with fans. It varies.

ThaDubs
02-22-2013, 12:21 AM
It depends. People like Kobe who are super competitive hate losing. There are some people who are more pissed about doing bad than losing I guess, But honestly who likes losing? For instance some people will tell you LeBron likes his stats more than anything but did you see the way the mother****er kicked over that shelf thing after the Suns game a few years ago? Most people in the NBA are extremely competitive. As for me, I get pissed when we lose. I always blame the refs. Lol. Yeah but Idk, it's all dependent on the person.

Guppyfighter
02-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Players don't like losing.

NoahH
02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Does Dwight Howard look like he cares if he wins or loses? No he just goes out there, makes his 200k a game and goes home and smokes a doob

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Obviously not. At the end of the day, do you think they come home angry? They check their bank accounts and then straight to the club. Although, there are a few who really care.

MrfadeawayJB
02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
some do some dont, but they are all pretty competitive

Hawkeye15
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I think fans have less realistic expectations about it to a degree. People see athletes and their high salaries and expect them to be a certain way about losing. We expect them to be like Jerry West, MJ, and Kobe who were/are obsessed with winning and were hyper-competitive. Basketball seemed like EVERYTHING to them. Other guys, there are other things in their lives. Their day doesn't live and die by the result of the game. I guess, like ManRam said, is probably the same with fans. It varies.

reminds me of that Red Sox movie with Fallon, where he and his friends lived vicariously through the Sox season, and he realizes he doesn't need to be that way when he sees Johnny Damon out eating, smiling, laughing with his buddies after a loss. The world doesn't revolve around your sports team or your job. But there are some athletes who do live and die with losses. But it shouldn't be expected widespread.

DoMeFavors
02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Vince Carter is an example of someone who doesnt care about losing.
KG in his crying interview is an example of someone who hates losing.

ManRam
02-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Does Dwight Howard look like he cares if he wins or loses? No he just goes out there, makes his 200k a game and goes home and smokes a doob

I think people get too carried away with Dwight's smiling and laughing. I think you can be ultra competitive and still smile and laugh. Dwight always gave 100% in Orlando, and even LA it's clear he cares. He gets visibly upset when things aren't going well. He'll get techs out of frustration. He shows plenty of emotion on the court that suggests he cares immensely. Those pictures of Dwight laughing on the bench when the game was all but over and the had lost, and Kobe looking pissed, mean nothing. On the court, Dwight goes hard. Don't buy into the narrative.

It's amazing how people suddenly forget how Dwight was both A) a top 3 player in the league for years and B) ultra competitive and passionate in Orlando. Guess the narrative is just too fun to buy in to.

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 02:35 AM
I think people get too carried away with Dwight's smiling and laughing. I think you can be ultra competitive and still smile and laugh. Dwight always gave 100% in Orlando, and even LA it's clear he cares. He gets visibly upset when things aren't going well. He'll get techs out of frustration. He shows plenty of emotion on the court that suggests he cares immensely. Those pictures of Dwight laughing on the bench when the game was all but over and the had lost, and Kobe looking pissed, mean nothing. On the court, Dwight goes hard. Don't buy into the narrative.

It's amazing how people suddenly forget how Dwight was both A) a top 3 player in the league for years and B) ultra competitive and passionate in Orlando. Guess the narrative is just too fun to buy in to.

Don't fall into their bait, they are just trying to find a way to explain why the LaL are losing via Howard not caring enough.

ThunderousDemon
02-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Andrew Bynum.

Hitman 3:16
02-23-2013, 02:59 AM
I think people get too carried away with Dwight's smiling and laughing. I think you can be ultra competitive and still smile and laugh. Dwight always gave 100% in Orlando, and even LA it's clear he cares.

Completely agree.

Prime example of someone who was like that and was so successful in winning...Magic Johnson.

DaLakerz Rulz
02-23-2013, 02:59 AM
Andrew Bynum.

I think this is all that needs to be said really

HouRealCoach
02-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Carmelo Anthony & Amare Stoudemire don't care about winning

Plenty of players that don't care and just happy to be receiving a check

SoFreshNsoClean
02-23-2013, 03:33 AM

this

SoFreshNsoClean
02-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Obviously not. At the end of the day, do you think they come home angry? They check their bank accounts and then straight to the club. Although, there are a few who really care.

and this

LongWayFromHome
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Carmelo Anthony & Amare Stoudemire don't care about winning

Plenty of players that don't care and just happy to be receiving a check

Didn't Amare lacerate his hand punching the glass on a fire extinguisher after losing a playoff game?

LongWayFromHome
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
As a varsity coach I see that everybody hates when you lose

BUT some players don't hate losing while the game is being played. They don't realize that effort at every moment of the game can be the difference. So do they hate losing? They think they do, but honestly they don't do what matters in order to win.

Purple_n_Gold
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Or how people forget about him giving pressers after an Orlando win complaining about his touches. That selfishness is why people cut him no slack. Sorry but when you've acted like an immature kid for the past two years that tends to overshadow the past when at the current time you are having a lackluster season

Purple_n_Gold
02-23-2013, 07:36 PM
To answer the question there are def many players who don't seem to care about winning as much as money. See Joe Johnson.

ThaDubs
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Lol. I would sig quote this **** but I think 1 is enough.

Sactown
02-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Absolutely, You can see how much DeMarcus HATES losing every game lol.

ThaDubs
02-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Absolutely, You can see how much DeMarcus HATES losing every game lol.

I think he just hates everything...

Sactown
02-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I think he just hates everything...

Honestly, I've met him quite a few times, He actually is a really chill dude with a good sense of humor.. But you can see that being part of the Kings is killing him inside. Hopefully, if the team remains in Sac, we'll turn the ship around and things will be a lot easier on him.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-23-2013, 08:31 PM

I'm sure there are players that are a combo of both.

PatriotsGirl
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I think every player hates losing in some regard, even if they might not show it on the outside. A lot of players try to be "good sports" or act tough so the other team doesn't see their disappointment as weakness.

NoahH
02-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Lol. I would sig quote this **** but I think 1 is enough.

Id be honored if you sig quoted me lol

Hawkeye15
02-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm sure there are players that are a combo of both.

sure, there is always a gray area. It would be hard to keep that intensity 82 games a year.

barreleffact
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Most fans are delusional and don't realize there is ONLY one championship each year. The expectations are often unrealistic. Yes, most athletes care about winning, but they likely learn fairly quickly that winning should not define them. Unless they are destined for greatness that if unsuccessful they will be scrutinized forever (Lebron prior to last season), it likely isn't as huge of a deal considering the lifestyle they are fortunate to have attained/

Hawkeye15
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Most fans are delusional and don't realize there is ONLY one championship each year. The expectations are often unrealistic. Yes, most athletes care about winning, but they likely learn fairly quickly that winning should not define them. Unless they are destined for greatness that if unsuccessful they will be scrutinized forever (Lebron prior to last season), it likely isn't as huge of a deal considering the lifestyle they are fortunate to have attained/

Paul Pierce put it perfect. He made the ECF's in year four, and he said at that point, he figured he would see that situation regularly, and not until he played another 5 years, did he realize that you don't get many chances at that, and how he had grown to appreciate it.

I think you are spot on dude. Unless you are one of the special talents to play the game, winning does not define your career, and even then, its just icing on the cake. Its so hard to win a championship.

I will say, being on a really bad team does wear on a lot of players. Some get used to losing, and move on. Others it drives them crazy, and they end up bolting the nanosecond they get the chance. This is my fear with Love. If the Wolves dont get healthy, and get their **** together, he is gonzo.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2013, 02:02 AM
I think the players generally care more, especially regular rotation guys. This is their job after all. When they lose, all they have to think about is that game for the next couple of days. It is their job. And after losing a series in the playoffs, I imagine it weighs on them for some time. I mean, they go back to the locker room, the go over the mistakes they made, they go over video tape. The go to practice.

Fans, when their team loses, they generally go to bed and likely don't even think about it as they are falling asleep. They got spouses and girlfriends or boyfriends, jobs, kids, all kinds of other things that are more important.

The winning and losing might matter a little less to guys who are just in the league, because they are new and excited just to be playing and realize there isn't much they can do to help a lottery team turn into a winner their first, year, and for guys who aren't in the rotation, I think they are a little less invested considering that they don't have the ability to contribute and I imagine a lot of the guys on the bench are just happy to have a roster spot.

Wilson
02-25-2013, 07:52 AM
I think there are a lot of players who don't care as much as fans, but in some cases I don't think you can really expect them to. If you're a Bulls or Pistons fan then that rivalry will mean a lot to you but you can't expect a player born in Phoenix to care as much.

Another thing is players probably don't care about some regular season games as much as fans. As a fan you always want to see your team win but players and coaches probably think about the bigger picture. There's not always any point for them putting 110% in on the second night of a back-to-back when they have to stay rested and ready for the rest of the season/play-offs.

But there are players who don't seem to give a crap any of the time and that's always annoying :p

thenaj17
02-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Some players probably don't care and only see it as a profession, which is fine because it is their source of money.

Don't think because you see people like Dwight smiling and laughing that he doesn't care about losing. Obviously he cares, it's just that he knows you're going to lose some games, it happens to all teams. He's smiling because he loves the game and enjoys it so it's not all about the money.

Although i would prefer if he showed he meant business a bit more often especially given the circumstances.

Alayla
02-25-2013, 08:46 AM
they care more