PDA

View Full Version : Where will Dwight Howard Play Next Year?

Rockets Fanatic
02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
No one really knows, Id be curious to hear yalls answers

handle
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Houston Rocketz!!!!!

ManRam
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Lakers.

JNoel
02-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Lakarz.

shep33
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
I still think it's the Lakers

oak2455
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Late show or somewhere in Texas

LAKobeBryant
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
a NBA team in USA.

Avenged
02-21-2013, 11:27 PM
lakkars go colby!

RealLiveBear
02-21-2013, 11:27 PM
a NBA team in USA.

Raptors it is

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2013, 11:30 PM
La.

RipCity32
02-21-2013, 11:31 PM
He will stay a Laker

rockbottom2010
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
dallas is going make a serious bid for dwight howard and josh smith...just watch...and i also expect the rockets to go after him....esp. with harden and lin around.....they have the assets

naps
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Not the team that has the GOAT ballhog.

Rockets Fanatic
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
I think the Rockets should sign him and then try to swing a 3-way trade with the Raptors and Pelicans

Pelicans Get:
Omer Asik (Put AD at his natural position of 4)
Terrence Ross

Rockets Get:
Ryan Anderson

Raptors Get:
Thomas Robinson

Rockets Starting 5 12-13:
Lin
Harden
Parsons
Anderson
Howard

Hitman 3:16
02-21-2013, 11:48 PM
I say he stays in Los Angeles.

ManRam
02-21-2013, 11:49 PM

The GOAT ballhog only has a few years left. LA will, and by all accounts HAVE been, making it clear to Dwight that he's the future and their #1 priority. As they should.

I think between the money, the fact that he by all accounts loves living in LA, and the fact that it is, well, the freaking Lakers, will all be enough to keep him there.

ClevelandSpider
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
It won't be Brooklyn haha..if the Lakers play like they did last night and finish strong, making the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed, and then take their 1st round series to 7 games or win, I can see Dwight staying...if not LA, I would put money on Dallas or ATL

Dade County
02-22-2013, 12:04 AM
In no order

Dallas, OKC, HEAT, Nets

Swift Game
02-22-2013, 12:06 AM
I think Mitch would have traded him if he did not already know something we dont.

That said they can still consider
a sign and trade after season. I think he resigns with the Lakers especially seeing the culture.

naps
The GOAT ballhog only has a few years left. LA will, and by all accounts HAVE been, making it clear to Dwight that he's the future and their #1 priority. As they should.

I think between the money, the fact that he by all accounts loves living in LA, and the fact that it is, well, the freaking Lakers, will all be enough to keep him there.

But we are talking about Dwight "Abnormal" Howard here. His thoughts are as unpredictable and out of norms as they get. Departure of Dr. Buss will play a role as well. He was the only guy who could have calm Dwight down. Now if they can somehow land Phil Jackson for next season then may be Dwight will lean towards staying.

shep33
In no order

Dallas, OKC, HEAT, Nets

3 of those teams have no chance of getting him.

ManRam
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
But we are talking about Dwight "Abnormal" Howard here. His thoughts are as unpredictable and out of norms as they get. Departure of Dr. Buss will play a role as well. He was the only guy who could have calm Dwight down. Now if they can somehow land Phil Jackson for next season then may be Dwight will lean towards staying.

True. I guess us guessing at all is just foolish. Rationalizing anything in regards to this is probably just an exercise in futility.

I guess it's a hunch.

Once he realizes that Brooklyn isn't actually an option, I think he'll just buckle down and re-sign. But yeah, that's just a hunch. I'm not gonna sit here and say that I'm right or certain about it. No one should.

Dade County
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
3 of those teams have no chance of getting him.

By conventional logic you would be correct, but that's the problem with people, they always assume that everyone shares the same logic.

shep33
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Kobe has under 1.5 years left on his contract. Then Dwight gets the franchise and the Lakers can build a great team around him with loads of cap space when Kobe hangs em up in 2014.

The two biggest reason why Houston might not get him:

1) He's still 2nd fiddle to Harden on offense for years to come
2) Is he willing to be a 2nd fiddle offensively in a small market?

He wants a franchise for himself. The Lakers and Mavericks are really the only two teams that can give him that going forward, once Dirk and Kobe retire.

In no way am I guaranteeing anything, I have no clue what he's going to do. I just think it's most likely he'll stay with the Lakers. But it wouldn't blow my mind if he went elsewhere

Hellcrooner
02-22-2013, 12:39 AM
He hasnt been traded, Kutchap did not even sweat when asked bout it.

so the real question is where will Pau and KOBE be playing next year.

Because if 04 happens again and is " me or him" again, lakers will pick the yOUNGER plyer AGAIN.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Rockets or Dallas... hell he will find a way to make brklyn work before he stays in LA

Vinny642
02-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Atl

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2013, 01:07 AM
Well... if Dallas can sign him and Josh Smith... that would be interesting...
Houston may be able to make a run at him, and I know they want him, and he's got a good relationship with Hakeem.
I think he still wants to be in BK, so LAL might end up doing a sign-and-trade with them.

I just do not see him staying with the Lakers.

raiderposting
02-22-2013, 01:16 AM
I think the Rockets should sign him and then try to swing a 3-way trade with the Raptors and Pelicans

Pelicans Get:
Omer Asik (Put AD at his natural position of 4)
Terrence Ross

Rockets Get:
Ryan Anderson

Raptors Get:
Thomas Robinson

Rockets Starting 5 12-13:
Lin
Harden
Parsons
Anderson
Howard

The bucks may lose Jennings and Ellis I'm sure they would like Lin just to fill in seats with the Asian population. If I were the rockets ill do exactly what you said but then deal Lin for reddick and dunleavy

Harden at PG
Reddick
Parsons
Anderson
Howard

Sixth man dunleavy

Sign another guy for the mle and the rockets will be major threats

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
If Dallas gets smith and then goes after Dwight I think they have a big shot at getting him ... he always wanted to play with smoove

lakerboy
02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
LA. He ain't giving up on that $30M and extra year.

Next year, Pau and Kobe are expiring contracts too.

oak2455
02-22-2013, 01:36 AM
I love this thread wait til the real funny posters get involved

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-22-2013, 01:38 AM
"He will be a net its the only place he wants to be and its gonna happen the sooner u accept that the better it will be "

Sound about right? Lol

DR_1
02-22-2013, 01:49 AM

And here come the trolls, starting with Naps, what a surpirse

jrm2054
02-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Houston hopefully or sign and trade to BK

Lakers + Giants
02-22-2013, 02:49 AM
I really do believe it's going to be lakers. I know fans say they won't be devastated if he leaves but they'll be regretting it once they actually see a healthy dwight. We have to be fair, he is not healthy, he doesn't just suck, he's just bothered by injuries. He'll take the money and the lakers FO will promise him younger star players in 2014.

Lakers + Giants
02-22-2013, 02:59 AM
He hasnt been traded, Kutchap did not even sweat when asked bout it.

so the real question is where will Pau and KOBE be playing next year.

Because if 04 happens again and is " me or him" again, lakers will pick the yOUNGER plyer AGAIN.

As they should. As much as Kobe or Shaq did for the lakers you have to realize they're not the same and the franchise should stick to the younger talent. It is after all, a business.

IversonIsKrazy
02-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Dark horse: San Antonio
jk, though that would be amazing.
Which teams even have money?

GrandDaddyPurp
02-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Jsmoove and Dwight to da Racketz

Kevj77
02-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Lakers or Rockets.

Homer pick LA.

Dade County
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Why should Howard give the Lakers another year off of his career? So Howard will go into next season, knowing he doesn't have a shot of winning a ring.

And if Howard does resign, and it's only because of the extra 30mil, should Laker fans really want a guy like that?

I mean it's not like the Lakers gave up anything for Howard, Bynum hasn't did anything for the 76ers ( damage goods ).

I mean Howard is so off the wall for trusting Orlando to trade him to the Nets... Now he has to deal with all of this ****, this is a listen learned I guess.

LongWayFromHome
02-22-2013, 10:43 AM
People keep saying S&T to the nets but you can't sign and trade if your over the tax line. I'm pretty sure there is actually 0 chance he can be a Net.

Am I wrong about this?

Vinylman
02-22-2013, 10:53 AM
dallas is going make a serious bid for dwight howard and josh smith...just watch...and i also expect the rockets to go after him....esp. with harden and lin around.....they have the assets

how are they gonna do that? with Dirk under contract they have 22.7 million on the books... so even if they get rid of EVERYRONE else (won't happen) they still have less than 2 max deals to work with...

It's rocketz if he leaves LA... pretty obvious

Vinylman
02-22-2013, 10:57 AM

:facepalm:

He had ZERO relationship with Dr. Buss ZERO

Vinylman
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
If Dallas gets smith and then goes after Dwight I think they have a big shot at getting him ... he always wanted to play with smoove

not enough money unless smith takes a massive discount (ie 10-11 million per year)

Vinylman
02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
People keep saying S&T to the nets but you can't sign and trade if your over the tax line. I'm pretty sure there is actually 0 chance he can be a Net.

Am I wrong about this?

technically i am sure the Nets could probably dump some salaries to make it happen..

unfortunately people who think this will happen don't really understand the Lakers mentality... they aren't gonna make it easy for D12 to leave and will not do a S&T with someone like Brooklyn because they would have to take a HORRIBLE contract back in the deal

The Lakers rarely lose in these kind of deals let alone help a player who turns their back on the organization..

Thats why his only logical landing place is Houston

Chronz
02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
technically i am sure the Nets could probably dump some salaries to make it happen..

unfortunately people who think this will happen don't really understand the Lakers mentality... they aren't gonna make it easy for D12 to leave and will not do a S&T with someone like Brooklyn because they would have to take a HORRIBLE contract back in the deal

The Lakers rarely lose in these kind of deals let alone help a player who turns their back on the organization..

Thats why his only logical landing place is Houston

Hes saying the Lakers cant sign and trade, even if they wanted to. Which means, if hes gone, they really are getting nothing for him.

LongWayFromHome
02-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Hes saying the Lakers cant sign and trade, even if they wanted to. Which means, if hes gone, they really are getting nothing for him.

I was actually saying the Nets can't receive him in a S&T. I'm pretty sure a team over the tax can move a player in a S&T.

Mr_Amaziing
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Brooklyn

Actually I can see both Howard and Josh Smith trying to sign with Brooklyn.

Soo they'll trade Lopez for prospects and picks ( like how Denver did it when they traded Melo ).

Vinylman
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM

I understood what he was saying (Nets) but you are also wrong about the Lakers ability to S&T him...

technically, it depends on what the Lakers do with gasol and others... its actually easier for the Lakers to get their salaries down than the nets... pretty simple actually... trade Pau for picks and no salaries and amnesty artest (which is gonna happen anyway). Those moves put the Lakers way under the LT threshhold so technically they could do it with NJ... logically they wouldn't.

The Lakers can also S&T him to a team and NOT take back salaries but only picks even under their current salary structure because the $4 million apron only applies to teams RECEIVING PLAYERS... there is no benefit to the receiving team or player though to do this anymore other than the player can get slighly higher increases.

A final scenario that could happen is the Lakers trade him somewhere and get a young player and a pick (Houston) after they have amnestied MWP... again, there is no real reason for Houston to do this though.

So Technically, the Lakers could S&T him but under the new CBA there is no reason for the receiving team to do it other than to dump a salary which makes no sense for the Lakers...

ManRam
02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Brooklyn

Actually I can see both Howard and Josh Smith trying to sign with Brooklyn.

Soo they'll trade Lopez for prospects and picks ( like how Denver did it when they traded Melo ).

Wait, I'm confused.

You're saying that Brooklyn will trade Lopez to some other team, and then magically will be able to sign both Howard and Smith? Even without Lopez they're still over the cap and couldn't sign one of those guys...let alone both.

Chronz
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I was actually saying the Nets can't receive him in a S&T.
Rly? You dont know that a team can only sign players if it has cap space?

I'm pretty sure a team over the tax can move a player in a S&T.
Im more than pretty sure that you cant. That was the first thing I remember people talking about when the new CBA came out.

LongWayFromHome
02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Rly? You dont know that a team can only sign players if it has cap space?

Im more than pretty sure that you cant. That was the first thing I remember people talking about when the new CBA came out.

I think its the other way around. A team over the TAX (not cap) cannot receive a player in a S&T. I remember them saying last summer the Lakers wouldn't have been able to get Nash the same way in future years.

Chronz
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I understood what he was saying (Nets) but you are also wrong about the Lakers ability to S&T him...
I was wrong about the poster but Im pretty sure the Lakers can only sign and trade if they are under the tax line.

technically, it depends on what the Lakers do with gasol and others... its actually easier for the Lakers to get their salaries down than the nets... pretty simple actually... trade Pau for picks and no salaries and amnesty artest (which is gonna happen anyway). Those moves put the Lakers way under the LT threshhold so technically they could do it with NJ... logically they wouldn't.
Just making sure you understood that in order to get something for Dwight now, the team would have to take the nuclear option. Blowing up your roster in order to sign and trade is a pretty tough spot to be in.

The Lakers can also S&T him to a team and NOT take back salaries but only picks even under their current salary structure because the $4 million apron only applies to teams RECEIVING PLAYERS... there is no benefit to the receiving team or player though to do this anymore other than the player can get slighly higher increases.
I dont understand the incentive for the other team. If the other team is in position to outright sign Dwight, why even deal with the Lakers? Particulary if they have to gut their team just to be in position to sign and trade? I guess to appease Dwight but would the Lakers get rid of Pau? I think they see him as insurance if Dwight does leave.

A final scenario that could happen is the Lakers trade him somewhere and get a young player and a pick (Houston) after they have amnestied MWP... again, there is no real reason for Houston to do this though.

So Technically, the Lakers could S&T him but under the new CBA there is no reason for the receiving team to do it other than to dump a salary which makes no sense for the Lakers...
Agreed

LongWayFromHome
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Ok here is the rule

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/CBA-111128/how-new-nba-deal-compares-last-one

Starting in 2013-14, teams more than $4 million above the tax level cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction.

LongWayFromHome
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/26/mark-cuban-its-not-the-new-luxury-tax-its-the-restrictions/

The bigger one kicks in in 2014 — teams in the tax cannot do sign-and-trade deals. That means the Lakers could not have gotten Steve Nash this summer. Next summer Brooklyn could not try to do a sign-and-trade deal for Dwight Howard (as if it’s not tough enough to move him as is). The sign-and-trade has long been a favorite tool of high spending teams and it goes away next summer for taxpayers.

king2218
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
If Dallas can find a way to land Monta Ellis (package surrounded with Mayo & Kaman) and are able to land Josh Smith...then most likely Dwight will be signing in LA.

sp1derm00
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I am a Laker fan who doesn't want him as our franchise player. I do think that he will resign with us after reading Kevin Ding's post.

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/94ce19ff-b279-4b6a-891c-262ffafde474/?source=twitter

If he is our franchise player, I hope that whoever we pair him with has a stronger personality and will be able to lead the team. I have no faith in Dwight as a leader, I don't doubt his talent though.

MrfadeawayJB
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
H town

mdm692
02-22-2013, 02:06 PM

I don't know why he would love it there when half of the fan base hates him. Additionally the money is just a 3mill diference. The 1st 4 years and if he signs with Hou he can re up for another max deal in year 4.

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
The only issue with Howard signing with Houston is Asik. He's been playing amazing for them. I don't see why they should all of a sudden trade him.

DaVille
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Logic destination for Dwight is Houston Rockets. But since Dwight is illogical human being I think he stays in LA.

GThawks
02-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Hawks or stay with the Lakers. Josh Smith will resign with the hawks...he said he never asked for the max contract.