PDA

View Full Version : Despite his efficiency this year, was LeBron of 09-10 better than this year?

NYC
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
29.7 PPG, 8.6 APG, 7.3 RPG, 1.6 STL, 1.0 BLK, 50.3% FG (09-10)

vs.

27.2 PPG, 7.0 APG, 8.1 RPG, 1.7 STL, 0.8 BLK, 56.5% FG (12-13)

In the end, I'd say about equal. LeBron's taken his game to a new level of efficiency this year, but his ability to get role players involved on the Cavs was remarkable. I don't think LeBron's that much better this year than he was then, as the media would make you think. I mean he did do this back then, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyd4NPvzKQg

It's a mystery why the Heat w/LeBron, an obviously much better team, doesn't win as much in the regular season as the Cavs did with LeBron. I mean they won 66 games one year with him and 61 in 09-10. But nonetheless, if the Heat were really motivated, maybe they could go start to finish and win 70 in one year.

b@llhog24
02-21-2013, 11:27 PM
He's better this year.

JNoel
02-21-2013, 11:31 PM
:laugh:

ATX
02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
This season obviously, unless you want to just disregard his efficiency all together, but then what's the point?

ManRam
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't think it's a laughable notion at all, but I don't think it's true.

His responsibilities are slightly different now than they were then, so it's a slightly different type of dominance than anything he did in Cleveland.

b@llhog24
02-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Only season that he's had that's comparable is his 09 season imo. If he can actually win a chip this season in a dominating fashion, maybe those MJ comparisons won't be so laughable anymore.

ManRam
02-22-2013, 12:18 AM
His 09 season was better in many ways compared to his 10 season.

It's just worth being aware of the fact that his USG% is the lowest it's been since his 2nd season and his FGA per game is the lowest in his entire career. He's in a totally different situation now than when he was in Cleveland. It's hard to compare Miami-LeBron to Cleveland-LeBron. Not impossible, but they certainly aren't the same.

That 08-09 season very well could have been better. And even if it's not, it's not laughable.

Becks2307
02-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Regardless I preferred 08-09 Lebron, he was more exciting imo. Not his fault just diff circumstances now

ThaDubs
02-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Of course not. If you take out his efficiency then I guess he was better back then. But he's shooting 57% from the field and 42% from behind the arc which is almost unheard of from a 3/4 who is also averaging like 8 rebounds and 7 assists in a tough competitive era like this one.

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2013, 01:34 AM
His percentages are just SO much better that it's not even a contest in my eyes.

As for "getting role players involved", while I do not think that LBJ is the ball-hog that Kobe is, and that he does make an effort to get players involved, I do not think that he "makes players better". He does not do for these guys the things that Magic and bird did for the players around them, or the things that Nash and Duncan did for the players around them. I know there will be LBJ fans that jump down my back and think I'm on crack, but he simply does not make the players around him better. Most of the players he played with put up better numbers when they were not playing with James. Does James make any team better? Of course, but he does not make players better. I'm just waiting to see how Dexter Pittman's career blossoms not that he doesn't have James holding him back (I am of course kidding).

So yeah... James is playing better basketball than he has ever played in his career. Hands down. Which says a lot since he has been the best player in the league in my eyes since 06.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2013, 02:20 AM
His percentages are just SO much better that it's not even a contest in my eyes.

As for "getting role players involved", while I do not think that LBJ is the ball-hog that Kobe is, and that he does make an effort to get players involved, I do not think that he "makes players better". He does not do for these guys the things that Magic and bird did for the players around them, or the things that Nash and Duncan did for the players around them. I know there will be LBJ fans that jump down my back and think I'm on crack, but he simply does not make the players around him better. Most of the players he played with put up better numbers when they were not playing with James. Does James make any team better? Of course, but he does not make players better. I'm just waiting to see how Dexter Pittman's career blossoms not that he doesn't have James holding him back (I am of course kidding).

So yeah... James is playing better basketball than he has ever played in his career. Hands down. Which says a lot since he has been the best player in the league in my eyes since 06.

I'm not going to jump down your kneck, but you are wrong and I am going to tell you why. You say most players have better stats when they are not on his team. Well thats going to happen because Lebron can score better and more efficiently them his teamates so they are going to get less touches. Do you think David Robinson scored more points when he was playing with Tim Duncan? Heck No? But production is not the criteria. Efficiency is the criteria, and Wade and Bosh are both more efficient with Lebron as a teamate. So there is no doubt at all that Lebron James makes players better. He gets 3 pt shooters wide open shots. He gets Bosh wide open shots and dunks. He is possibly the best passer in the entire NBA.

Fired-Up
02-22-2013, 02:37 AM
LeBron had no team in Cleveland. Now he has an embarrassment of riches. He's not as ball dominant due to that. So his advanced stats may decline, but his actual play has basically skyrocketed. He's quite honestly playing at a level not seen since 2003 Duncan or even Prime Shaq.

I don't subscribe to advanced stats and I pretty much hate stats in general when it comes to basketball.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
LeBron had no team in Cleveland. Now he has an embarrassment of riches. He's not as ball dominant due to that. So his advanced stats may decline, but his actual play has basically skyrocketed. He's quite honestly playing at a level not seen since 2003 Duncan or even Prime Shaq.

I don't subscribe to advanced stats and I pretty much hate stats in general when it comes to basketball.

Seriously, Why keep score? They should take down the scoreboard and 3 pointers should be worth flying unicorns and 2's should be worth sparkling butterflies, and at the end of the year, instead of a trophy everyone just gives hugs.

koreancabbage
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
this year, cuz that efficiency is what makes him a great player while putting up similar stats. his game is better all round- more back to the basket and 3 point shooting. and Finals experience and better mentality.

how is he not better now?????

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
have u guys checked out his latest numbers? advanced stats are on par with his 08-09 performance.
and the dude is shooting a career high in fg, 3pt, and ts. add to that he's having a career high in rebounds, and on pace to have a career low in turnovers lol..

he's on pace to have the best season of his career, and thats what was needed for him to take the mvp from durant, who imo was his to lose.

Money_23
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
He's better this year. Stats are about the same, but he is just a better player now than he was then. He controls the game like no other.

waveycrockett
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
His '09-10 year was MUCH more impressive to me for 2 reasons

1)The Cavs were damn near unbeatable that year. They were clowning teams while they beat them. The few games they lost they rested starters or were fluke losses.

2)He had absolute trash around him. He carried that team. Their 2nd best player was Antwan Jamison for God Sakes.

sp1derm00
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Lebron is better now.

He's just about the most consistent player I can recall, even more consistent than Jordan. Jordan might be better overall, but Lebron's consistency this year is freaking amazing.

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
LeBron this season by far. Look at Shaq's numbers back at Orlando. Do you think he's better than the 2000 Shaq? I don't think so. LeBron has to share the ball with Wade and occasionally with Cole/Chalmers as well. He's not the guy who gets the ball 95% anymore. The fact that he is this efficient while doing it effortlessly, it's amazing. If you watched last night's game against the Bulls, it looked as if he was bored of the competition around him. Two months ago, LeBron was 54% from the field. Nowadays, if he shoots below 60%, it's a bad game. Just a testament of how great he has been playing.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Well if you take away the efficiency that makes this season so impressive, then yeah, I suppose basic stats compare. But then you're ignoring what makes his performance this year so unique to his career. Those stats don't show the improved team, shot selection, and all around game he has developed.

What I do see is that he is finally comfortable with the heat. He had the slightest bit of a dip statistically since coming to the heat, due to some uneven in-game play, and just learning how to utilize real talent around him. He now knows when to pass, when to drive, when to pull up, it's all flowing more naturally for him now.

It's amazing that he can put up comparable numbers to a year when he was a one man wrecking crew. After winning last year he was gonna have to do something special to win MVP again, but its pretty clear to me that he has. Durant and Parker round out my top three, but its not even close for me right now.

waveycrockett
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
There is no possible way he could have been more efficient then. He had no help.