PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: Not a question if we make playoffs, we WILL

heyman321
02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8972377/kobe-bryant-confident-los-angeles-lakers-make-playoffs-according-report

bholly
02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Well, good luck with that.

Seems like the sort of thing that of course he'd say now, but upon retirement he'll write a book or do a tell-all interview where he has a different story.

alexander_37
02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
No, they will not.

yankeefan54
02-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Colby cheese?

Lakers + Giants
02-21-2013, 10:51 PM
We probably wont, but if the players don't have hope then there's nothing to play for. . .

Glad he feels so confident, even though I doubt they make it.

RollingWave
02-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Well there's nothing wrong with him saying that, even if you don't like him there's no doubt that he's a fierce competitor.

that being said, the Lakers probably need to play .700 ball the rest of the way to make the playoffs, and that is assuming one of the teams in front of them trails off at least a little bit . it's not statistically impossible, but it is rather unlikely.

seikou8
02-21-2013, 10:52 PM
ok that is suposse his mindset duh guys he is not fan

ManRam
02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Although I'm beginning to think Houston really truly has staying power, I think LAL will find a way in.

I'm sure that's the mindset everyone on that team has right now.

b@llhog24
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Lluz.

Slug3
02-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Honestly 3 and a half games is not much. All it takes is a little run for LA or a dip with Houston or someone else. They have a chance, but they cant play games where they look like they dont even want to be there.

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Bring it, don't sing it.

I still believe.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Although I'm beginning to think Houston really truly has staying power, I think LAL will find a way in.

I'm sure that's the mindset everyone on that team has right now.

Yeah, they replace either Utah or Golden State, who both have negative scoring differential- a sign that they're weaker teams. Both also have lower SRS as well.

I realize Houston is in the 8th spot but there's no doubt that if they continue to play like they have all year, they should end up moving up 2 spots . Currently, they're 7th in the NBA in SRS so they certainly aren't going anywhere (unless a key injury happens)

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

Hollinger's playoff odds are giving the Lakers a 1 in 3 chance of making the playoffs. Houston, despite their record and the fact that they're currently 8th, is a virtual lock.

JNoel
02-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Colby is mistaken.

shep33
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I doubt we make it, but what's he suppose to say?

ManRam
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah, they replace either Utah or Golden State, who both have negative scoring differential- a sign that they're weaker teams. Both also have lower SRS as well.

I realize Houston is in the 8th spot but there's no doubt that if they continue to play like they have all year, they should end up moving up 2 spots . Currently, they're 7th in the NBA in SRS so they certainly aren't going anywhere (unless a key injury happens)

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

Hollinger's playoff odds are giving the Lakers a 1 in 3 chance of making the playoffs. Houston, despite their record and the fact that they're currently 8th, is a virtual lock.

Yeah. The point differential is a big reason I think one of those two teams will finish 9th. GS's defense has gone to **** lately. The Jazz have won 3 straight, but they have the 2nd toughest SOS in the West. The Lakers have the second easiest.

LAKobeBryant
02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Kobe will do whatever it takes to win that 6th ring. Mind set of a champion.

Avenged
02-21-2013, 11:29 PM
ze colby! we'll see.

ClevelandSpider
02-21-2013, 11:46 PM
I really hope the Lakers do make the playoffs as that would allow the Cavs to swap our Miami 1st, likely in the 28-30 range, for their pick, likely in the 15-17 range, which is currently owned by Phoenix...if they do make the playoffs, it's a quick series, 4 or 5 games ending with D'Antoni's firing and Dwight leaving via free agency, won't be a pretty July for the Lakeshow this year...

ManRam
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
ze colby! we'll see.

Your posting in the NBA main is ALMOST as great as my posting in the Lakers forum.

Almost...

LakersMaster24
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
We will. 8th seed.

lakerboy
02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Remember, last game of the year is Houston @ LAL.

We only have 2.5 games to catch up on.

Avenged
02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Your posting in the NBA main is ALMOST as great as my posting in the Lakers forum.

Almost...

only that im not trolling, we really will see lol

ManRam
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
only that im not trolling, we really will see lol

True. Both of us are wildly unoriginal! And I can speak for myself and say that I'm also incredibly not-funny too.

The Lakers are my #2 team man! Even my sincere posts here have all been defending them. It's like, they're almost underdogs...and I can't not root for them.

I still think they figure it out.

Lucky.
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
I think they take the last spot over Utah.

lakerfan85
02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
When did Kobe start spelling his name different?

beasted86
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8972377/kobe-bryant-confident-los-angeles-lakers-make-playoffs-according-report

Colby? You are not funny.
Stop, really, just stop.

You are obviously looking for attention, so here, I gave it to you, but please... stop.

ThaDubs
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Kobe... :facepalm: Come on.

b@llhog24
02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Remember, last game of the year is Houston @ LAL.

We only have 2.5 games to catch up on.

Would make for an interesting finish if that game were to decide who gets in the playoffs. :pray:

lakerfan85
02-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Kobe... :facepalm: Come on.

The classic facepalm...

IversonIsKrazy
02-22-2013, 03:11 AM
If they do, I hope its Jazz that don't make it. I am dying to see a possible OKC-HOU first round matchup!

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-22-2013, 03:12 AM
kobe after being down 0-3 against the mavs in 2010 "we can come back and win"

so noone should be surprised at this comment.. moving on

RLundi
02-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Unfortunately ... I believe him.

GrandDaddyPurp
02-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Lakers don't go to playoffs and Kings don't go to Seattle!

xxcubs22xx
02-22-2013, 06:19 AM
lmao. Good luck going 18-9 the rest of the way, Kobe.

but in all seriousness, he was probably ASKED about it, otherwise he's not just going to come out of nowhere and make the prediction out loud...or did he?

mikekhelxD
02-22-2013, 06:51 AM
what the hell do you expect him to say? Hahaha. First off, that game against the Cs was a good one for the Lakers. Buss just died and won the game. The team had energy for that game that they lacked so much the whole season. They played good on both sides of the court. Howard didn't get traded. It seems like the confidence and trust is and will be there. The answer Kobe gave is the only right answer.

Even though it is just one game, why would Kobe answer with something that will bring down morale and confidence? The hell do you expect him to say? "There is a slim chance for our team to make it, but we will definitely try our best to get there." GTFO. He is basically answering the question with confidence while keeping up the morale of the team. This is our team, we are now again the Lakers of the past. And this is from a guy who lives in LA and dislikes the Lakers and Kobe.

Mckphins
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
I personally think they do. 18-9 like yous say is not that hard if the team is ballin like they were suppose to

koreancabbage
02-22-2013, 09:31 AM
lmao. Good luck going 18-9 the rest of the way, Kobe.

but in all seriousness, he was probably ASKED about it, otherwise he's not just going to come out of nowhere and make the prediction out loud...or did he?

not that hard considering its the Lakers and they are stacked with good players. the only thing stopping themselves, as documented over the course of this season, are themselves.

Money_23
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
inb4 Lakers win their next 25 games.

LakersIn5
02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
last 13 games

9-4

the team is improving

Baller1
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
They won't. And if they do, they'll get bounced very quickly.

Hawkeye15
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
What did you expect Kobe to say? Of course he needs to have that mentality. It wouldn't blow me away if they were able to sneak in, but they need to win a ton more games than they lose going forward.

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
You guys are forgetting the point here.

The LAL are 4 games behind Houston for the 8th seed. They aren't catching the GSW or LAC. As long as Houston and Utah continue winning, it's impossible for the LAL. Watching Houston and Utah play lately, I don't think LAL has what it takes to catch up to them.

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I really hope the Lakers do make the playoffs as that would allow the Cavs to swap our Miami 1st, likely in the 28-30 range, for their pick, likely in the 15-17 range, which is currently owned by Phoenix...if they do make the playoffs, it's a quick series, 4 or 5 games ending with D'Antoni's firing and Dwight leaving via free agency, won't be a pretty July for the Lakeshow this year...

If the lakers make the playoffs no way in hell they'll get bounced in the 1st round, they'll atleast make it to the WCF

CityofTreez
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Get over it!!!

alexander_37
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
inb4 Lakers win their next 25 games.

:laugh:

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
If the lakers make the playoffs no way in hell they'll get bounced in the 1st round, they'll atleast make it to the WCF

Yeah, because Kobe "won't" let that happen. You guys just won't accept the fact that the LAL are horrible.

kenzo400
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Houston can definitely fall out of the playoffs, especially considering they just traded Patterson for Robinson. In the long term it is not a bad move but this season it will definitely hurt them.

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Houston can definitely fall out of the playoffs, especially considering they just traded Patterson for Robinson. In the long term it is not a bad move but this season it will definitely hurt them.

Assuming LAL does make it to the 7th or eighth seed, have fun with OKC and SAS.

Farcelona
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Lakers will win it all this year. Its better to get hot than not.

kenzo400
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Assuming LAL does make it to the 7th or eighth seed, have fun with OKC and SAS.

It will be more interesting to see them lose against OKC or SAS as opposed to seeing Houston lose. That's just my personal take

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, because Kobe "won't" let that happen. You guys just won't accept the fact that the LAL are horrible.

Correction they were horrible, now with the passing of Jerry buss I think they will go all out to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs and make it to June where anything can happen

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Correction they were horrible, now with the passing of Jerry buss I think they will go all out to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs and make it to June where anything can happen

Losing someone close to the team can motivate teams to win games early on, because they're extremely passionate about the game and wanting to remember that person. What that doesn't do is suddenly make your offense gel better, your coach scheme better or your defense clamp down harder over a long period of time. The Lakers will win some games and the media will provide them an unnecessary amount of attention for a while (as per usual), but that doesn't make them a better basketball team.

And Kobe saying they'll make the playoffs doesn't do anything either. If they want to actually make the postseason, no amount of talking about it or reminiscing over their deceased owner is going to make that happen. They have to consistently win basketball games and prove they actually belong in the playoffs, and that hasn't happened at this point.

alexander_37
02-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Lakers will win it all this year. Its better to get hot than not.

Haha.

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
@MedinaLakersNBA: Steve Nash on Kobe Bryant's playoff guarantee: "We love it when your best player has that confidence. He's put it out for us to go get it."

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 04:16 PM

If they do make it, it'll be a trip back home for them. Against OKC/SAS, the LAL are going to lose regardless.

Just because your favorite players say something, it doesn't mean it's going to happen. You'd expect Nash to be positive.. We all know they are all worried.

natelpete
02-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Doubt they make it, and even if they do they won't go anywhere.

SportsFanatic10
02-22-2013, 04:36 PM
nothing wrong with what kobe said. its the kinda thing you should say as a team leader to motivate the guys and fire them up. but i still have my doubts about it actually happening.

ChitownSports16
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
@MedinaLakersNBA: Steve Nash on Kobe Bryant's playoff guarantee: "We love it when your best player has that confidence. He's put it out for us to go get it."

good to see they still have life! I really do hope they make it.

SportsFanatic10
02-22-2013, 04:40 PM
good to see they still have life! I really do hope they make it.

i kinda do to, just to watch them get swept by okc or the spurs.

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
In all honesty, I hope they make it. I'd like for LeBron to make a joke out of Kobe and shut them up for good. If not, it's also delightful watching them complain about their team.

D-Leethal
02-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Not sure if this quote came from the speech, but I thought it was a little wrong for Kobe to use Jerry Buss's wake as a tool to motivate his teammates. While he mixed Buss's legacy into the whole thing, it was basically a call to his team to play better using Buss's death as motivation. I thought that was wrong but maybe its just me. It should have stayed about Buss and not the current Laker situation.

SOS
02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Not sure if this quote came from the speech, but I thought it was a little wrong for Kobe to use Jerry Buss's wake as a tool to motivate his teammates. While he mixed Buss's legacy into the whole thing, it was basically a call to his team to play better using Buss's death as motivation. I thought that was wrong but maybe its just me. It should have stayed about Buss and not the current Laker situation.

Every team does that

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
I realize the quote makes this relevant again, but do we REALLY need another thread discussing whether or not the Lakers will make the playoffs? There must have been at least a dozen of these threads in the general NBA forum this season, and I'm getting a tad sick of it.

Zefflin
02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
And so it is done, so says Kobe.

BlinkManJan02
02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Who gives a ****. every player guarantees a playoff spot. I'm tired of seeing this headline. Is he going to guarantee a championship as well? I hate when players guarantee stuff, it makes them look like total *****. [for the record I am a fan of kobe, have always had mad respect for him]

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
In all honesty, I hope they make it. I'd like for LeBron to make a joke out of Kobe and shut them up for good. If not, it's also delightful watching them complain about their team.

Hahaha your such a Kobe lakers hater it's not even funny, lebrons never made Kobe his joke its always the other way around look at when they guard each other lebron can't score on Kobe while Kobe scores on lebron with ease

Guppyfighter
02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Hahaha your such a Kobe lakers hater it's not even funny, lebrons never made Kobe his joke its always the other way around look at when they guard each other lebron can't score on Kobe while Kobe scores on lebron with ease

Lebron led team (including Cleveland) are 13-6 vs Kobe's teams.

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Before you say dumb **** like this, you may actually consider looking it up first:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=bryanko01&p2=jamesle01

Clearly Lebron has beaten the crap out of Kobe in head to head matchups. It's not even close...

AIRMAR72
02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Hahaha your such a Kobe lakers hater it's not even funny, lebrons never made Kobe his joke its always the other way around look at when they guard each other lebron can't score on Kobe while Kobe scores on lebron with ease NOBODY CARES at the of the day kobe SUCKS fake leader selling saltwater dreams to the media

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 06:17 PM
NOBODY CARES at the of the day kobe SUCKS fake leader selling saltwater dreams to the media

And then you have people like this guy who somehow make me take Kobe's side. This statement is beyond idiotic.

Can't everyone just use a little bit of common sense and accept that both Kobe and Lebron are phenomenal players, but Lebron is clearly a little bit better?

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
And then you have people like this guy who somehow make me take Kobe's side. This statement is beyond idiotic.

Can't everyone just use a little bit of common sense and accept that both Kobe and Lebron are phenomenal players, but Lebron is clearly a little bit better?

I wouldn't say "little." I like to put it into this. Would LAL be 26-29 with LeBron instead of Kobe? You decide.

ACanadian
02-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Welcome to Earth

eso
02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
As a Lakers fan I hope they make it (doubtfully though), but for everybody saying if they do they get swept in the first I disagree because to make it they will have to be playing amazing Bball and if on a streak like that they have the talent to challenge anybody. But in closing I think LA finish's 9th

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't say "little." I like to put it into this. Would LAL be 26-29 with LeBron instead of Kobe? You decide.
Yeah, but you're talking about prime Lebron versus Kobe who's a bit past his. Lebron would almost certainly make that team at least 10 games better than they are now, but Kobe from 5-10 years ago would have a positive effect, as well.

Welcome to Earth
More like "Welcome to PSD."

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah, but you're talking about prime Lebron versus Kobe who's a bit past his. Lebron would almost certainly make that team at least 10 games better than they are now, but Kobe from 5-10 years ago would have a positive effect, as well.

Take a look at Kobe's stats. Those are pretty much his average stats his entire career. Actually, this is one of the best seasons in his career. Kobe only has 3 seasons better than LeBron, both of in which LeBron was still developing as a player.

ACanadian
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Unfourtantly, most of the human race is like this, reasoning with them will only make us dumber

OceanSpray
02-22-2013, 06:45 PM
What do you guys expect? If you wanted everyone to be civil, we wouldn't have a need for cops and a government. Stop whining about their behavior.

AIRMAR72
02-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Can't everyone just use a little bit of common sense and accept that both Kobe and Lebron are phenomenal players, but Lebron is clearly a little bit better?your just one of the few who dont GET IT and is entitle to their own opinion most likely you get your info from the media the season is OVER for the lakers this what kobe should have said.. right now as a TEAM we are struggling we have some injuries etc OUR OBJECTIVE as a team is to get better anything could happen I like our chance of making the playoffs since the core group of our TEAM are exprience and focus ABOUT making a run to the PLAYOFFS kobe selling saltwater dreams DONT cut it brah

Teeboy1487
02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm not surprised Kobe said this. I really hope we make it.

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Take a look at Kobe's stats. Those are pretty much his average stats his entire career. Actually, this is one of the best seasons in his career. Kobe only has 3 seasons better than LeBron, both of in which LeBron was still developing as a player.
Nah. This is the 11th highest WS/48 and 11th highest PER he's posted in a season in his career. His scoring efficiency and assists are above his career average, but his turnovers, USG%, rebounds and other statistical categories are worse than his career average.

your just one of the few who dont GET IT and is entitle to their own opinion most likely you get your info from the media the season is OVER for the lakers this what kobe should have said.. right now as a TEAM we are struggling we have some injuries OUR OBJECTIVE as a team is to get better anything could happen I like our chance of making the playoffs since the our core group are exprience and focus kobe selling saltwater dreams DONT cut it brah

Lol. "You're" coming off as a crazy conspiracy theorist, spouting off nonsense without any factual data to back it up. I agree that the Lakers are struggling and Kobe has struggled at times this season, but to put the blame solely on him when the Lakers were clearly a very good team a season a go with arguably worst players at PG and C is nonsensical. Kobe has actually been much better statistically this season than last. What's changed is the team's attitude, the piss poor coaching and Gasol missing huge chunks of time.

And learn to use punctuation "brah." Your posts are a chore to read.

b@llhog24
02-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Thread is full of delusional people.

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Just because his stats are similar doesn't mean his impact is the same, he doesn't play top notch defense anymore and he turns the ball over alot more frequently

AIRMAR72
02-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Nah. This is the 11th highest WS/48 and 11th highest PER he's posted in a season in his career. His scoring efficiency and assists are above his career average, but his turnovers, USG%, rebounds and other statistical categories are worse than his career average.

Lol. "You're" coming off as a crazy conspiracy theorist, spouting off nonsense without any factual data to back it up. I agree that the Lakers are struggling and Kobe has struggled at times this season, but to put the blame solely on him when the Lakers were clearly a very good team a season a go with arguably worst players at PG and C is nonsensical. Kobe has actually been much better statistically this season than last. What's changed is the team's attitude, the piss poor coaching and Gasol missing huge chunks of time.

And learn to use punctuation "brah." Your posts are a chore to read.look mightybosstone just take it as you see it AND read it you understand english anyways kobe STATS are FALLING it has NOTHING to do with the coach the media said the samething about coach Brown ITS LEADERSHIP and chemistry are the ROOT of the problem with the LAKERS that is why I blame KOBE(fakeleader) another thing I dont type to impress anyone on PSD or make things up to post I have close friends and sources in the NBA I graduated from the university of ALABAMA class of 95 with my degree "SON" Im not seated at a desktop CPU like youself eating chips(junk) and sipping process fluids(soda) like yourself Im at the airport using my I-phone which is too SMALL for my hands

mdm692
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Thread is full of delusional people.

I guess that's why they call it LA-LA land lol.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I guess that's why they call it LA-LA land lol.

Eh, it's not that unbelievable that the Lakers could move up 3 1/2 games in the standings and pass a very young Houston Rockets team.

mdm692
02-22-2013, 08:11 PM
look mightybosstone just take it as you see it AND read it you understand english anyways kobe STATS are FALLING it has NOTHING to do with the coach the media said the samething about coach Brown ITS LEADERSHIP and chemistry are the ROOT of the problem with the LAKERS that is why I blame KOBE(fakeleader) another thing I dont type to impress anyone on PSD or make things up to post I have close friends and sources in the NBA I graduated from the university of ALABAMA class of 95 with my degree "SON" Im not seated at a desktop CPU like youself eating chips(junk) and sipping process fluids(soda) like yourself Im at the airport using my I-phone which is too SMALL for my hands
:facepalm:.

mdm692
02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Eh, it's not that unbelievable that the Lakers could move up 3 1/2 games in the standings and pass a very young Houston Rockets team.
I beg to differ they have on the highest scoring offense on the team and unlike the Lakers they're well coached. With the talent the Lakers have they shouldn't even be in this position. The Lakers knew what they were getting with Dwight and they didn't address it properly so now they had to go through this Dwight-mare just like Orlando. Kobe instead of being the leader he is supposed to be has made things worse and has made Nash a shell of what he used to be. Nash SHOULD be averaging 14ppg 12apg with another 40-50-90 season even with Dwight and Gasol hurt. The fact that they are where they are should be an embarrassment to organization and to Kobe. Mitch and everybody on the Lakers have been talking and talking it's time to STFU for them and walk the walk.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I beg to differ they have on the highest scoring offense on the team and unlike the Lakers they're well coached. With the talent the Lakers have they shouldn't even be in this position. The Lakers knew what they were getting with Dwight and they didn't address it properly so now they had to go through this Dwight-mare just like Orlando. Kobe instead of being the leader he is supposed to be has made things worse and has made Nash a shell of what he used to be. Nash SHOULD be averaging 14ppg 12apg with another 40-50-90 season even with Dwight and Gasol hurt. The fact that they are where they are should be an embarrassment to organization and to Kobe. Mitch and everybody on the Lakers have been talking and talking it's time to STFU for them and walk the walk.

So you're saying it's impossible for the Lakers to get on the same page and gain a few games up the ladder and pass one of

Utah, Houston, or Golden State?

Houston is young and with young team come ups and downs...
Utah is mildly mediocre and with the uncertainty of the future of Milsap and Jefferson I could see them slip up
Golden State started off hot, has lost 6 of the last 7, and has many injury prone players that could be sent to the IR list at any moment.

I think the Lakers don't have a great shot at the playoffs, but if Golden State continues to drop quickly I could see them falling out of the race, and injuries can always change the standings... It's still to early to say it's over for the Lakers.

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
look mightybosstone just take it as you see it AND read it you understand english anyways kobe STATS are FALLING it has NOTHING to do with the coach the media said the samething about coach Brown ITS LEADERSHIP and chemistry are the ROOT of the problem with the LAKERS that is why I blame KOBE(fakeleader) another thing I dont type to impress anyone on PSD or make things up to post I have close friends and sources in the NBA I graduated from the university of ALABAMA class of 95 with my degree "SON" Im not seated at a desktop CPU like youself eating chips(junk) and sipping process fluids(soda) like yourself Im at the airport using my I-phone which is too SMALL for my hands

Four things:
1. While Kobe's stats are a tad below his prime years, they are significantly better this year than last, so you cannot blame him statistically for what's happening.
2. Kobephiles get on my nerves, but I can't comprehend a Lakers fan who has benefited so much from Kobe's dominance over the last 10-15 years talking this much **** about him. I don't necessarily agree with the Kobe homers, but at least they're loyal to their guy.
3. There isn't a single factor that is solely responsible for why this Lakers' experiment has failed, and to solely blame Kobe when there are a ton of other things responsible is just ludicrous.
4. I got a journalism degree from the University of Austin in 2009, and I write for a living "son," so please don't try to attack my intelligence or my lifestyle as if you know me personally. You do not. And I would think any college educated person could put together a hell of a lot better argument to support his claim than this. Clearly your degree hasn't helped your grammar or your reasoning skills.

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 08:26 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again... If you honestly think the Lakers are going to surpass the Rockets, look at two things: the Rockets' point differential and their remaining schedule. They have the ninth best point differential in the entire NBA and their schedule is softer than Scarlett Johansson's skin. The Lakers could feasibly eek their way into the postseason, but it sure as hell won't be at the expense of the Houston Rockets.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Four things:
1. While Kobe's stats are a tad below his prime years, they are significantly better this year than last, so you cannot blame him statistically for what's happening.
2. Kobephiles get on my nerves, but I can't comprehend a Lakers fan who has benefited so much from Kobe's dominance over the last 10-15 years talking this much **** about him. I don't necessarily agree with the Kobe homers, but at least they're loyal to their guy.
3. There isn't a single factor that is solely responsible for why this Lakers' experiment has failed, and to solely blame Kobe when there are a ton of other things responsible is just ludicrous.
4. I got a journalism degree from the University of Austin in 2009, and I write for a living "son," so please don't try to attack my intelligence or my lifestyle as if you know me personally. You do not. And I would think any college educated person could put together a hell of a lot better argument to support his claim than this. Clearly your degree hasn't helped your grammar or your reasoning skills.

Well, his argument is poor at best, but he does have a point, and it isn't about Kobe Bryant statistically. Kobe has been a poor leader thus far throughout this season, if ANYONE should understand the importance of making this work before the clock strikes midnight it should be him. Instead of rallying the troops, Kobe has been trying to play Phil Jackson, and has gone to the media far more than he should. I think the right response for Kobe, would of been to rally the troop and try to become the glue guy in the locker room, instead of always trying to fix things on the court.

mdm692
02-22-2013, 08:27 PM
So you're saying it's impossible for the Lakers to get on the same page and gain a few games up the ladder and pass one of

Utah, Houston, or Golden State?

Houston is young and with young team come ups and downs...
Utah is mildly mediocre and with the uncertainty of the future of Milsap and Jefferson I could see them slip up
Golden State started off hot, has lost 6 of the last 7, and has many injury prone players that could be sent to the IR list at any moment.

I think the Lakers don't have a great shot at the playoffs, but if Golden State continues to drop quickly I could see them falling out of the race, and injuries can always change the standings... It's still to early to say it's over for the Lakers.

No I never said impossible. I said highly unlikely. They took a beating from the Clippers and then they beat the Celtics and all of a sudden they are on the same page? Houston is on fire and even though they are young Harden has more than enough firepower to carry them and maybe even move up a spot or 2. The only way Golden st falls off is if they have a total mental breakdown where they lose the majority of their games. Utah's front court is good enough to secure them a playoff spot. You are putting it all on the Lakers "getting it together". Just randomly out of nowhere you expect this team to put things together and go 18-9 for the remainder of the season which is highly unlikely. Specially with their schedule.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... If you honestly think the Lakers are going to surpass the Rockets, look at two things: the Rockets' point differential and their remaining schedule. They have the ninth best point differential in the entire NBA and their schedule is softer than Scarlett Johansson's skin. The Lakers could feasibly eek their way into the postseason, but it sure as hell won't be at the expense of the Houston Rockets.

Injuries HAPPEN lol, if Harden were to suffer a season ending injury the Rockets could easily be passed by LA, but if you noticed Houston wasn't the only team I listed. I also mentioned Utah and Golden State. And Golden State has been horrible as of late winning 1 of the last 7 and 4 of the last 10.

mdm692
02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule

The NBA gave them an easy schedule for the month of April but if they don't get their **** together in March they won't be going anywhere.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
No I never said impossible. I said highly unlikely. They took a beating from the Clippers and then they beat the Celtics and all of a sudden they are on the same page? Houston is on fire and even though they are young Harden has more than enough firepower to carry them and maybe even move up a spot or 2. The only way Golden st falls off is if they have a total mental breakdown where they lose the majority of their games. Utah's front court is good enough to secure them a playoff spot. You are putting it all on the Lakers "getting it together". Just randomly out of nowhere you expect this team to put things together and go 18-9 for the remainder of the season which is highly unlikely. Specially with their schedule.

You were agreeing with the fact that Lakers fans are "Delusional" for thinking the Lakers could make the playoffs, and I don't like it say they would have to go 18-9. It has more to do with how Golden State, Houston, and Utah do than what the Lakers do throughout the rest of the season. I never said the Lakers had it together, but it's possible they do get it together and make a run...

The Warriors have won one of the last seven, they are going through a mental breakdown, and the win came against Phoenix.

DumDum
02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
A player on a lotto team trying to be optimistic. this is as thread worthy as the bobcats close it please

mdm692
02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
You were agreeing with the fact that Lakers fans are "Delusional" for thinking the Lakers could make the playoffs, and I don't like it say they would have to go 18-9. It has more to do with how Golden State, Houston, and Utah do than what the Lakers do throughout the rest of the season. I never said the Lakers had it together, but it's possible they do get it together and make a run...

The Warriors have won one of the last seven, they are going through a mental breakdown, and the win came against Phoenix.

Not a mental breakdown just a rough stretch. Now that it's over they have March coming up where they play a total of 5 games on the road. You keep saying that it's possible for LA to make the playoffs but it depends on how other teams play. The teams you mentioned seem to be picking up steam, with the exception of GSW who like I said has an easier stretch coming up.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Not a mental breakdown just a rough stretch. Now that it's over they have March coming up where they play a total of 5 games on the road. You keep saying that it's possible for LA to make the playoffs but it depends on how other teams play. The teams you mentioned seem to be picking up steam, with the exception of GSW who like I said has an easier stretch coming up.

Than let's hope for GSW sake, that they turn the ship around and LA doesn't pick up steam.. I'm not saying the Lakers have a great shot, but I'd put it around 25%

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, his argument is poor at best, but he does have a point, and it isn't about Kobe Bryant statistically. Kobe has been a poor leader thus far throughout this season, if ANYONE should understand the importance of making this work before the clock strikes midnight it should be him. Instead of rallying the troops, Kobe has been trying to play Phil Jackson, and has gone to the media far more than he should. I think the right response for Kobe, would of been to rally the troop and try to become the glue guy in the locker room, instead of always trying to fix things on the court.
But to sit there and say the blame is solely on Kobe's shoulders in insane. Could he have handled things better? Of course he could. But a lot of things could have gone better. Gasol deserves blame. Dwight deserves blame. Nash deserves blame. And the coaching staff sure as hell deserves blame.

Injuries HAPPEN lol, if Harden were to suffer a season ending injury the Rockets could easily be passed by LA, but if you noticed Houston wasn't the only team I listed. I also mentioned Utah and Golden State. And Golden State has been horrible as of late winning 1 of the last 7 and 4 of the last 10.
So? Injuries can happen to any team, and you can't ever assume a season ending injury is going to happen to a team's best player. If that's your best argument, it's incredibly thin.

As far as other teams, I never said the Lakers couldn't pass them. I clearly was referring to just the Rockets. I even stated in my post that the Lakers could possibly make the playoffs, but they won't be passing Houston. That being said, them making the playoffs over anyone at this point is highly unlikely.

Sactown
02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
But to sit there and say the blame is solely on Kobe's shoulders in insane. Could he have handled things better? Of course he could. But a lot of things could have gone better. Gasol deserves blame. Dwight deserves blame. Nash deserves blame. And the coaching staff sure as hell deserves blame.

Absolutely, I blame the system first, and the players second though, absolutely nobody has established themselves as a leader on that team, and instead have all whined about one thing and the next.

So? Injuries can happen to any team, and you can't ever assume a season ending injury is going to happen to a team's best player. If that's your best argument, it's incredibly thin.

As far as other teams, I never said the Lakers couldn't pass them. I clearly was referring to just the Rockets. I even stated in my post that the Lakers could possibly make the playoffs, but they won't be passing Houston. That being said, them making the playoffs over anyone at this point is highly unlikely.

Exactly injuries could happen to anyone, so with that being said, anyone of Houston, GSW, Utah could fall out of the race with injuries. I place the chances on the Lakers as 20-25%, I think if the rest of the season was simulated 4-5 times the Lakers would make it into the playoffs once. Injuries could happen to anyone, they certainly happened to the Lakers this season, and it's rare for Steph Curry to last this long with his chronic ankle injuries so I could see issues for GSW especially since they're starting to slide anyways.

Sota4Ever
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Lakers make the playoffs

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-22-2013, 09:14 PM
A player on a lotto team trying to be optimistic. this is as thread worthy as the bobcats close it please

DumDum you are.

DumDum
02-22-2013, 10:12 PM
have a lick sucker

DumDum
02-22-2013, 10:14 PM
:p

mightybosstone
02-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Here's a fun stat I just found out looking at Hollinger's power rankings. The Rockets have the hardest strength of schedule (.527) of any team in the entire NBA and still have the ninth highest point differential. As the strength of schedule regresses to the mean as the schedule gets easier the rest of the way, not only will the Rockets be winning a lot more games, they're point differential should improve quite a bit.

So if the Rockets can beat Oklahoma City at home and Brooklyn on the road with a depleted roster, what does that say for this team the rest of the way? Everyone still think the Lakers are catching them?

SportsFanatic10
02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Here's a fun stat I just found out looking at Hollinger's power rankings. The Rockets have the hardest strength of schedule (.527) of any team in the entire NBA and still have the ninth highest point differential. As the strength of schedule regresses to the mean as the schedule gets easier the rest of the way, not only will the Rockets be winning a lot more games, they're point differential should improve quite a bit.

So if the Rockets can beat Oklahoma City at home and Brooklyn on the road with a depleted roster, what does that say for this team the rest of the way? Everyone still think the Lakers are catching them?

i highly doubt the lakers catch any of houston/golden state/utah. i don't see any of those teams falling out, especially not the rockets. it'd be fun to see the rockets finish 7th to have a showdown with harden's old team. assuming okc ends in 2nd of course and it looks like that will be the case.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-23-2013, 12:28 AM

The Lakers have the 4th toughest SOS (514) and 11th best point differential. It's not that big a difference. And they accumulated those stats missing key players all year. They also beat the Thunder at home and the Nets on the road short handed. I think the Rockets are in though. I'm watching Utah and the Warriors.

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 12:29 AM
The Lakers have the 4th toughest SOS and 11th best point differential. It's not that big a difference. And they accumulated those stats missing key players all year. I think the Rockets are in though. I'm watching Utah and the Warriors.

You might catch the Warriors.. Utah are playing amazing lately.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-23-2013, 12:35 AM
You might catch the Warriors.. Utah are playing amazing lately.

Yeah, but I checked the Jazz schedule. It's pretty tough. The Lakers have a relatively easy schedule in March. The Warriors have had a really tough schedule for the Last month and still pretty tough the rest of the way. But most of their games are at home

mdm692
02-23-2013, 04:29 AM
In case anybody cares GSW are tough to beat at home and they proved it tonight. In March they only play 5 games on the road. The Rockets are picking up steam and the Jazz are playing fantastic. Call me a hater but LA needs a miracle.

DanG
02-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Games left (Lakers)

Home:
vs Minnesota W
vs Atlanta W (OK road team)
vs Toronto W ( improving team )
vs Chicago L (good road team)
vs Sacramento W ( horrible road team/ under.500
vs Washington W ( horrible road team/ under .500)
vs Dallas W (bad road team/ under .500)
vs Memphis L (good team)
vs New Orleans W (under .500/bad road team)
vs Golden State W (OK road team+we are 2-0 against them this season)
vs San Antonio L (SAS probably playing without stars)
vs Houston W (bad road team/key game)

12 Games

I can see 8-9 wins at worst. Let's say 9-3

Road

@Dallas W
@Denver L
@OKC L
@New Orleans W
@Orlando W
@Atlanta L
@Indiana L
@Phoenix W
@Golden state L
@Minnesota W
@Milwaukee L
@Sacramento W
@L.A Clippers L
@Portland W

7 wins 7 losses if we win all the games against under.500 teams

that's 16/10

= 43-39 if we win all the games against BAD(under.500) teams.

eugene
02-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Utah or GS will most likely fall out of playoff picture... unfortunately... would be one of all times fail LAL not making the playoffs... one more thing ppl are not paying attention at, Mavs also starting to heat up

Il Mago50
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Does anyone see this team somehow winning the championship this season?

Raidaz4Life
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM

no way in hell they win a championship.

king4day
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM

Given the start of the season, it'd be a win if LA makes the playoffs and takes 2 or 3 games from their first round opponent. Winning it all is out of the question. They aren't deep enough.

Baller1
02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Lakers winning the championship.... :laugh2:

mightybosstone
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
The Lakers have the 4th toughest SOS (514) and 11th best point differential. It's not that big a difference. And they accumulated those stats missing key players all year. They also beat the Thunder at home and the Nets on the road short handed. I think the Rockets are in though. I'm watching Utah and the Warriors.

Yeah, but the point differential difference is fairly significant (3.0 to 1.0), the Rockets have the easier schedule down the stretch and they have a 3.5-game advantage right now. Hollinger's playoff odds give the Rockets a 98.1 percent chance to make the playoffs.

mightybosstone
02-23-2013, 12:07 PM

None whatsoever. Even if they somehow sneaked into the playoffs as an 8 seed, they would have to face San Antonio or Oklahoma City without home court advantage. They'd get crushed and would be lucky to pull 1-2 games out of that series.

mdm692
02-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Games left (Lakers)

Home:
vs Minnesota W
vs Atlanta W (OK road team)
vs Toronto W ( improving team )
vs Chicago L (good road team)
vs Sacramento W ( horrible road team/ under.500
vs Washington W ( horrible road team/ under .500)
vs Dallas W (bad road team/ under .500)
vs Memphis L (good team)
vs New Orleans W (under .500/bad road team)
vs Golden State W (OK road team+we are 2-0 against them this season)
vs San Antonio L (SAS probably playing without stars)
vs Houston W (bad road team/key game)

12 Games

I can see 8-9 wins at worst. Let's say 9-3

Road

@Dallas W
@Denver L
@OKC L
@New Orleans W
@Orlando W
@Atlanta L
@Indiana L
@Phoenix W
@Golden state L
@Minnesota W
@Milwaukee L
@Sacramento W
@L.A Clippers L
@Portland W

7 wins 7 losses if we win all the games against under.500 teams

that's 16/10

= 43-39 if we win all the games against BAD(under.500) teams.

Overrating the Lakers on the road a bit are we? I know you have to stay positive but don't forget a lot of those teams are even more motivated because they want to catch/pass the Lakers. You go to Dallas on Sunday who seems to be getting a bit of rhythm going and has hopes of making the playoffs as well.

OceanSpray
02-23-2013, 01:23 PM
>Make it to the eighth seed.
>Play vs SAS or OKC.

I don't see the point.

lol, please
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Overrating the Lakers on the road a bit are we? I know you have to stay positive but don't forget a lot of those teams are even more motivated because they want to catch/pass the Lakers. You go to Dallas on Sunday who seems to be getting a bit of rhythm going and has hopes of making the playoffs as well.

:clap:

Sactown
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Eh the teams he said they would beat on the road are significantly under .500, So I don't see a problem with what he said, except for the Kings. We always wake up to play the Lakers, and have beat them the last few times.

TmacBryant
02-23-2013, 08:53 PM
On numbers never lie they said that lakers will finish 2 games behind the Jazz for the 8th seed.

Personally I think the Jazz are out of the picture, they have a much tougher schedule than the lakers, houston, denver, or goldenstate.

If Goldenstate lost against the spurs last night I would have had them out of the playoffs, but they look like they are going to hang in there at the 7 or 8.