PDA

View Full Version : So which West team falls out?

Farcelona
02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Clearly when the Lakers are dominating like this, they are almost unstoppable. This is what most fans imagined when Dwight and Nash were acquired. Playoffs are almost a guarantee if they keep this up. So who falls out: Warriors, Rockets or Jazz?

Sactown
02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Lakers!

zn23
02-21-2013, 01:22 AM
The Lakers needed the Jazz to go 0-3, the Jazz instead went into clutch mode and went 3-0. The Rocket are 2-1.

I hate to say it, but it's a legacy damaging season for Kobe if they miss the playoffs. Not damaging in the sense that we omit him from the HOF. But damaging to his all time rank. There's no way you can rank him in the top 10 all-time if the Lakers miss the playoffs this season.

They have to break 0.500... They might not get a chance to do that.

Lakers will miss out.

AWC713
02-21-2013, 01:30 AM
i think warriors end 6th, rockets 7th, jazz 8th, lakers 9th, portland 10th

shep33
02-21-2013, 01:40 AM
i think warriors end 6th, rockets 7th, jazz 8th, lakers 9th, portland 10th

I agree with this. Don't see us making the playoffs this year, injuries and the coaching changes has murdered us of building any sort of chemistry

Jumba
02-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Jazz 6th, Rockets 7th, Warriors 8th, Portland 9th, Lakers 10th

airforceones25
02-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Almost and guarantee are two very different meanings lol

mightybosstone
02-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Look at the Rockets schedule the rest of the way and you'll see it's Downy soft. Maybe it's because I'm a Rockets fan, but I honestly think they'll finish at least 6th in the West. Utah has also been playing some good basketball as of late, and if they don't trade Jefferson or Millsap, they should finish in the postseason. The Warriors are the wild card, because they have the talent to play like they did earlier in the season and finish in the 4-6 range. They also are inconsistent enough to completely fall out of the playoffs altogether. But if I had to pick a team to fall out, it would be Golden State.

But I'd hardly say it's a foregone conclusion that the Lakers are making the playoffs. They're still 3.5 back of Houston and 5 back of Golden State and Utah. And they will be without Gasol for another month. If I had to pick a team to miss the playoffs, it wouldn't be one of the teams currently in them, it would be the Lakers.

justinnum1
02-21-2013, 01:54 AM
lakers need to pray the jazz start losing

bholly
02-21-2013, 01:55 AM
The Rockets are on track for 44 wins. If that's the cutoff, the Lakers would have to go 18-9 to get there.

They're destroying the Celtics, but lets not forget they also got destroyed by the Clippers in the previous game, and have had multiple massive wins so far this season only to fall apart again.

In short, it's definitely going to be interesting, but so so far from a guarantee.

lol, please
02-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Jazz won't make it obviously.

Sadds The Gr8
02-21-2013, 02:05 AM
I really want the Rockets to get in but I think it'll be them that falls

SugeKnight
02-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Jazz won't make it obviously.

Hawkeye15
02-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Lakers

Tony_Starks
02-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Houston wont make it. If not for James Harden having the game of his life they would've lost tonight. Not sold on Utah either, really the 7 and 8 spots are wide open.

Sorry to break it to the Laker haters but there will be yet another playoff trip this year.

Cracka2HI!
02-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Dear Laker fans who are real NBA fans,

This is what I mean when I use the term Laker fan in a negative tone.

lakerboy
02-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Lakers will make it and Jazz won't.

We'll have a good shot to catch Houston and Utah because their schedules get harder in the next 3 weeks, while we play home games against average to good teams.

Lakers only need to catch 2.5 games vs the Rockets, because we play them at home in the last game.

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-21-2013, 03:07 AM
The Lakers needed the Jazz to go 0-3, the Jazz instead went into clutch mode and went 3-0. The Rocket are 2-1.

I hate to say it, but it's a legacy damaging season for Kobe if they miss the playoffs. Not damaging in the sense that we omit him from the HOF. But damaging to his all time rank. There's no way you can rank him in the top 10 all-time if the Lakers miss the playoffs this season.

Lakers will miss out.

Your hate for Kobe is unbelievable it won't hurt Kobe one bit

shep33
02-21-2013, 03:08 AM
I still don't think the Lakers make it... Injuries again have killed any chemistry. Now that being said, the Dubs and the Jazz need to be careful. Gstate has a rough schedule remaining. 2 against the Lakers, 2 against the Spurs, 2 against the Knicks, 2 against the Rockets, Celtics and Sixers on a back-to-back, they got a back-to-back with the Pacers before the Knicks game.

Tough sched.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 03:36 AM
Didn't gain a single game today. Too far behind.

dhopisthename
02-21-2013, 03:42 AM
realize for the lakers to catch the jazz (even if the jazz went 14-13 to finish the season or 45 wins) the lakers would need to go 20-7 to finish 1 game better then the jazz because the jazz have the tiebreaker

ThaDubs
02-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Nobody has had as little home games as the Warriors so obviously we'll improve... the Rockets and Jazz are not going ahead of us. Lakers 9th, Rockets 8th, Jazz 7th, Warriors 6th imo.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Rockets six
Warriors seven
Jazz eight

Sorry Lakers.

lakerboy
02-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Let's wait for the trades tomorrow too. If Jazz trade Al Jef or Millsap, they don't make the playoffs.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Let's wait for the trades tomorrow too. If Jazz trade Al Jef or Millsap, they don't make the playoffs.

Favors is better than Big Al.

RollingWave
02-21-2013, 04:14 AM
schedule not promising for the Lakers. they have a much harder schedule remaining than the Rockets.

Also, an interesting note, looking at pythag the rockets are much closer to the Nuggets / Grizzlies then the Jazz and Warriors. in fact, both the Jazz and Warriors essentially have scored as many points as the gave up this year, which is not a good sign (though part of the reason is that the Rockets blew out both of them in historic fashion once this season.) The Lakers have been better than them so far.

But even if you assume those 2 team play at 500 the rest of the way. they'll still be at around 44-45 win, which is around the average of #8 seeds in the past, the Lakers would need to play close to a .700 win rate to catch up.

I'm fairly sure that the Laker will play better the rest of the way, but to make the playoffs they need to play like a top 4 NBA team the rest of the way to get there. it's not IMPOSSIBLE, but the margin of error is extremely small.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 04:18 AM
schedule not promising for the Lakers. they have a much harder schedule remaining than the Rockets.

Also, an interesting note, looking at pythag the rockets are much closer to the Nuggets / Grizzlies then the Jazz and Warriors. in fact, both the Jazz and Warriors essentially have scored as many points as the gave up this year, which is not a good sign. The Lakers have been better than them so far.

But even if you assume those 2 team play at 500 the rest of the way. they'll still be at around 44-45 win, which is around the average of #8 seeds in the past, the Lakers would need to play close to a .700 win rate to catch up.

I'm fairly sure that the Laker will play better the rest of the way, but to make the playoffs they need to play like a top 4 NBA team the rest of the way to get there. it's not IMPOSSIBLE, but the margin of error is extremely small.

Warriors were eight in the SRS before this last six game stretch. They gave up 118 points in their last six games as they integrated Bogut. You should probably expect them to rise in the SRS and differential as the unsustainably high offense against them drop and progress back to the mean. Warriors are more like a +1.0 differential team.

But yes, the Rockets are better than them.

AlexanderPearce
02-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Lakers better hope for Utah to make a trade with anybody in order to make it in. GS gets in as well as HOU. Still, that is going to be a brutal first round even if you do make it in. It's all about match ups so anything is possible... but you got to get to the playoffs first.

setman2000
02-21-2013, 07:24 AM
OMG - they win a home game against a slightly above average east coast team playing a back to back and now they're guaranteed a playoff spot. Frickin Hilarious! Look at there road record, they suck. Best story line of thiss NBA season...LOADED LAKERS MISS PLAYOFFS!

What a joke of a thread.

Patman
02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
OMG - they win a home game against a slightly above average east coast team playing a back to back and now they're guaranteed a playoff spot. Frickin Hilarious! Look at there road record, they suck. Best story line of thiss NBA season...LOADED LAKERS MISS PLAYOFFS!

What a joke of a thread.

Do we now need a thread about this, every time the Lakers beat a decent or good team? You know the last game against a really elite Team didn't look so good. There is a chance that they make it, but it looks more likely that they land on the 9th spot.

justinnum1
02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Favors is better than Big Al.

i love favors, but he is not better than big al right now

ewing
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Houston wont make it. If not for James Harden having the game of his life they would've lost tonight. Not sold on Utah either, really the 7 and 8 spots are wide open.

Sorry to break it to the Laker haters but there will be yet another playoff trip this year.

It usually takes a good game from your best player to beat one of the best teams in the NBA

mdm692
02-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Clearly when the Lakers are dominating like this, they are almost unstoppable. This is what most fans imagined when Dwight and Nash were acquired. Playoffs are almost a guarantee if they keep this up. So who falls out: Warriors, Rockets or Jazz?

:laugh:. Haven't we seen this story before? They win a game after getting DESTROYED in the previous and all of a sudden they are in the playoffs?

D-Leethal
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
I am not sold on them yet, I would like to see how they react to another bad loss - its easy to play inspired when your long term owner just passed and you had an extremely emotional ceremony before the game.

Lets see what happens if they lay a dud, do they let the frustration permeate the team again or do they bounce back? That would really tell me if they are ready to make a push. The dud will come eventually.

Either way, Utah would be my pick to fall out.

mightybosstone
02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I really want the Rockets to get in but I think it'll be them that falls

Everyone who keeps saying this is saying this without examining any factual evidence. The Rockets have the sixth best point differential in the West (9th highest in the league) and would have a much better record if not for a 7-game losing streak during a brutal stretch of their schedule in the middle of the season. Their schedule is also insanely easy the rest of the way because of it. After Friday's game at Brooklyn, look at their next 12 games: @ Washington, Milwaukee, @ Orlando, Dallas, @ Dallas, @ Golden State, @ Phoenix, Phoenix, Minnesota, Golden State, Utah, Cleveland. What's the worst they could possibly go over that stretch? 9-3? 8-4?

I'd easily put 100 bucks on the Rockets not falling out of the playoffs, and I'm hella broke.

D-Leethal
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Everyone who keeps saying this is saying this without examining any factual evidence. The Rockets have the sixth best point differential in the West (9th highest in the league) and would have a much better record if not for a 7-game losing streak during a brutal stretch of their schedule in the middle of the season. Their schedule is also insanely easy the rest of the way because of it. After Friday's game at Brooklyn, look at their next 12 games: @ Washington, Milwaukee, @ Orlando, Dallas, @ Dallas, @ Golden State, @ Phoenix, Phoenix, Minnesota, Golden State, Utah, Cleveland. What's the worst they could possibly go over that stretch? 9-3? 8-4?

I'd easily put 100 bucks on the Rockets not falling out of the playoffs, and I'm hella broke.

I agree. Rockets won't fall out. They have a superstar that will keep them in it even when times are tough. Utah will be the team that falls out. They are just a discombobulated roster.

todu82
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Doubt the Lakers make it this year. They're to far out to make it IMO.

TaylorMays
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I think if the jazz trade millsap for a good guard, that woukd help them stay in the playoffs. I don't watch any jazz basketball but it seems like Favors could do a good job replacing Millsap and that any guard is a major upgrade for them

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
i love favors, but he is not better than big al right now

He puts up better stats (in much less touches and all that jazz) but watching him play I think it would transfer over in starter minutes. He already plays better defense just needs to work on offense.

Tymathee
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
warriors or jazz fall out, Houston's going to get hot.

I want a closer look at their 2nd half schedules though, whoever has more road games and/or whoever has more games against teams above them is more likely to fall out.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
warriors or jazz fall out, Houston's going to get hot.

I want a closer look at their 2nd half schedules though, whoever has more road games and/or whoever has more games against teams above them is more likely to fall out.

A team 5.5 up on the Lakers falls out after they get 22 home games starting March 6th. I can see that? No, I can't.

Neither team will fall out. Lakers miss.

Hawkeye15
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
look at the schedules, and factor in injuries, etc. The Lakers are in an uphill battle to make it. The Rockets schedule is not very difficult, and their team is gaining steam, especially in the backcourt. Dwight will have to get healthy out of nowhere and the chemistry will have to gel for them to have a legit chance imo.

astrosmaniac
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM

so because it took a great game to beat a top 3 team in the nba without 2-3 members of your normal rotation due to a trade happening right before the game, we're gonna miss the playoffs? ok....

plus the rockets have an easier schedule than the lakers, jazz, and warriors to finish the year. have you seen how easy the rockets march is? especially with a 7 game homestand without a back to back in it

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Warriors also have a very easy stretch to end the season.

Jazz are the only chance the Lakers have. Jazz won't fall out.

torocan
02-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Warriors also have a very easy stretch to end the season.

Jazz are the only chance the Lakers have. Jazz won't fall out.

This. Rockets and GSW aren't going anywhere.

The Jazz are the Lakers' only hope...

Woodrow
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Its easy to forget that the Jazz played 8 games before the playoffs without Gordon Hayward, and have been playing without their starting point guard Mo Williams since Dec. 22nd. Still, with Jamal Tinsley running the point They have managed a 31-24 record. Why would they fall out with Mo on the cusp of a return and GHayward playing his first game back the other night. Seems to me like they should only get better, not fall out.

futureman
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Not to mention, Burks is now 4 times better than he was at the beginning of the year.

DR_1
02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
If anyone falls out it will be Utah.

SportsFanatic10
02-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Lakers will miss out.

haha why do i get the feeling that's not true?

SportsFanatic10
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
lakers fans getting a little ahead of themselves here lol. the team needs to show some consistency before a thread like this.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Lakers will miss out.

:facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
The Lakers are 3-3 over the last 6 games. How is that dominating? They are still 3 games under .500 since 'Antoni took over. You think just because they beat and aged, short-handed Boston that they are dominating? It was a 14-point game, not a 30 point game.

If the Lakers play as well as they have over the last 6 games, they will not even make the playoffs and will finish below .500 so I'm not sure how this is 'dominating'.

alexander_37
02-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Gee they trade their starting 4 7th man and 8th man, and they need Harden to step up to beat the #1 team in the West? Who would have guessed.