PDA

View Full Version : Nets make offer for Celtics guard Paul Pierce.

xnick5757
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
The Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets have discussed a trade for Celtics star Paul Pierce, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Nets' offer centered on forward Kris Humphries, guard MarShon Brooks and a first-round draft pick, but the Celtics want a more substantial package to consider moving Pierce, league sources said.

"The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn't make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they're keeping Kevin Garnett," one league source said.

Boston has shown interest in forward Mirza Teletovic and securing another possible first-round pick, but the Nets have shown no inclination to pay that steep of a price for Pierce.

The Nets and Celtics discussed a deal for Pierce at the 2012 trade deadline, but the Celtics decided to keep him for another playoff run. Pierce, 35, is averaging 18 points for the Celtics this season, shooting his worst from the field – 41 percent – in the past eight seasons.

Boston had interest in guard C.J. Watson in a separate deal, but Brooklyn doesn't want to part with him, sources said.

interesting (via woj) (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-trade-deadline-buzz--clippers-end-kevin-garnett-trade-talks-for-now-030112108.html;_ylt=AwrHgZSKQCRRhH0AUgELcykA;_ylu= X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcg Rwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3)

Sactown
02-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Nets are going for it all!

SACNYY
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
At least the Nets are trying, I guess.

Sactown
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
At least the Nets are trying, I guess.

That they are, they're throwing **** at everyone haha

GunFactor187
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
If the Nets do net (pun intended, lol) Pierce, wonder what that means for G-Force?

DR_1
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Wow what a horrible offer

Sactown
If the Nets do net (pun intended, lol) Pierce, wonder what that means for G-Force?

6th man, 3/ stretch 4 Would be my guess

xnick5757
hump/brooks/1st is what the nets offered for smith too

TyrionLannister
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
That's not even close to what it would take to land Pierce.

Other teams can and will offer better packages if Boston decides to deal him.

Regardless... how many posts before DMF comes flying in and says something along the lines of "He only wants the Nets! We're getting Howard, Smith, and Pierce this trade deadline!"

Setting over-under at 15.

ManRam
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah. That's not happening. NJ would have to sweeten the pot, and I'm not sure they have the assets to actually do that,

Sactown
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
That's not even close to what it would take to land Pierce.

Other teams can and will offer better packages if Boston decides to deal him.

Regardless... how many posts before DMF comes flying in and says something along the lines of "He only wants the Nets! We're getting Howard, Smith, and Pierce this trade deadline!"

Setting over-under at 15.

I disagree that there are going to be many packages better than this one. Old superstars just don't sell that high in the market for some reason, you never get their worth, but with that being said. I doubt this happens. It would take KG being dealt to the Clippers for this to happen.

RaiderLakersA's
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Hopefully nothing comes of this. The Truth should retire in Boston.

JNoel
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Lopez and this is a deal.

LA4life24/8
02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
^^^ hahah, DMF is a troll, everything that person posts is a joke, acts like they know exactly what each player whats as if he/she is that player... imo brooks must not be that great if they are trying to get rid of him for a 35 year old pierce who is having his worst season in awhile

TheNumber37
They can WAY much for Pierce - Especially because teams trading for him are looking at him like a piece that will put them over the top.

Ainge, don't do anything with these guys - Pierce or KG - OR, trade them in the Summer and then they will retire, come out of retirement and play for the C's again.

ndfightirish12
yeah i dont believe gutting your team for an older superstar is worth it

if the celtics want teltovic and watson included in that then if im the nets i say no to that still because i would not give up that much for him hes not worth gutting the bench

xnick5757
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah. That's not happening. NJ would have to sweeten the pot, and I'm not sure they have the assets to actually do that,

if they added in teletovic and another pick, it would be a tempting offer

justinnum1
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Nets would be getting a steal. Cant see the celtics doing this deal.

Celticsfan2007
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Horrible deal for the Celtics.

If the Celtics ever did decide to trade Pierce, it certainly wouldn't be within our own division. Keep dreaming Nets fans.

DoMeFavors
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Damn you guys are crazy, this isnt Paul Pierce in 2006. This is Paul Pierce right now almost 36 years old. WHo is going to offer a 1st rd pick for him? and its obvious if Paul didnt want to be a Net they wouldnt be talking this deal.

ndfightirish12
02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Horrible deal for the Celtics.

If the Celtics ever did decide to trade Pierce, it certainly wouldn't be within our own division. Keep dreaming Nets fans.

the celtics made counter offers to the nets so its not the "nets fans dreaming"

TyrionLannister
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Under bets cash in.

Anyway, the Bucks, Clippers, Jazz and Warriors I see also going for him, and offering better prospects than Brooks.

Sactown
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Damn you guys are crazy, this isnt Paul Pierce in 2006. This is Paul Pierce right now almost 36 years old. WHo is going to offer a 1st rd pick for him? and its obvious if Paul didnt want to be a Net they wouldnt be talking this deal.

That's going a little to far buddy, it's not like P.P has a no trade clause.

VinceCarter
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Anybody who believes the Nets would give up Brooks for Pierce has to be out of their mind. Pierce is going to be useless in another 1-2 seasons if he doesn't retire before hand.

This is simply a smoke screen or a way to get the Hawks to amp up Smith to Nets talks.

Sportfan
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Brooks/Teletovic/Bojandovic +2014 first I would probably do as a celtics fan

DoMeFavors
LOL why are people upset? cause their team cant go from winning 20 games the previous year to a chance at the title the next? Face it if you want a team that is 100% commited to winning the trophy then Nets are that team.

akesh99
I dont get why anyone would want that package.. Hump is garbage and overpaid, Brooks has upside but he still doesn't excite me, and their first rounder will just be a mid to late pick.

KnickaBocka.44
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
LOL why are people upset? cause their team cant go from winning 20 games the previous year to a chance at the title the next? Face it if you want a team that is 100% commited to winning the trophy then Nets are that team.

People aren't upset, they just know this isn't happening.

hugepatsfan
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Brooks/Teletovic/Bojandovic +2014 first I would probably do as a celtics fan

The problem is that while that package isn't anything special, it's still all the young assets the Nets have. That's probably barely enough to get the Celtics to give up Pierce but at the same time too much for the Nets to give up, if that makes sense.

DoMeFavors
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
People aren't upset, they just know this isn't happening.

If Billy had the Knicks roster, Shumpert would have already been gone along with most of the dead weight. King only goes after the top talent.

mamba24
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
haha... any team that takes on hump and his contract lose the trade no matter what...

Sportfan
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
The problem is that while that package isn't anything special, it's still all the young assets the Nets have. That's probably barely enough to get the Celtics to give up Pierce but at the same time too much for the Nets to give up, if that makes sense.

Well those 3 players together play 19 minutes per game. Brooks can't get any minutes with JJ and Deron in front of him. Bojan and Teletovic are swingmen and with JJ/Pierce/G-Force they wouldn't get any minutes either. I think it's a reasonable deal for sure

Sportfan
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
haha... any team that takes on hump and his contract lose the trade no matter what...

it's a 1.5 year deal...

CaptainClutch
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
If Billy had the Knicks roster, Shumpert would have already been gone along with most of the dead weight. King only goes after the top talent.

Dude please stop with this nonsense. Just because someone is MENTIONED in a trade doesn't mean that they WANT TO BE A NET. Paul Pierce isn't going anywhere unless KG gets traded. Kevin Garnett is a loyal guy and does not want to leave Doc Rivers and Paul Pierce with a team that doesn't have prominent future / have a 'chance' of winning the title this year. By getting back young assets from the Clippers in Jordan and Bledsoe, the Celtics will then send a signal to the league they are going to build on young assets and draft picks. Then they would ship Paul Pierce to the Nets knowing he'll have a shot of making a deep playoff run this year. But don't think for ONE MINUTE Paul Pierce is calling up Danny Ainge begging him to go the the Nets.....

hugepatsfan
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Well those 3 players together play 19 minutes per game. Brooks can't get any minutes with JJ and Deron in front of him. Bojan and Teletovic are swingmen and with JJ/Pierce/G-Force they wouldn't get any minutes either. I think it's a reasonable deal for sure

I agree it's reasonable from a talent perspective. But if NJ makes that trade, there's no way for them to get better. The picks they have left would be too late to expect a contributor. They'd be so far in the luxury tax that they wouldn't have the MLE available to them. And they'd have traded all their assets for Pierce. They'd have D-Will/Joe Johnson/Pierce/G-Force/Lopez and pretty much nothing else. Wouldn't have enough depth to win a title nor the assets/cap space to acquire hat depth.

DR_1
02-20-2013, 06:50 PM

Chance at a title? The Bulls without Rose are better than the Nets :laugh:

DoMeFavors
02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Dude please stop with this nonsense. Just because someone is MENTIONED in a trade doesn't mean that they WANT TO BE A NET. Paul Pierce isn't going anywhere unless KG gets traded. Kevin Garnett is a loyal guy and does not want to leave Doc Rivers and Paul Pierce with a team that doesn't have prominent future / have a 'chance' of winning the title this year. By getting back young assets from the Clippers in Jordan and Bledsoe, the Celtics will then send a signal to the league they are going to build on young assets and draft picks. Then they would ship Paul Pierce to the Nets knowing he'll have a shot of making a deep playoff run this year. But don't think for ONE MINUTE Paul Pierce is calling up Danny Ainge begging him to go the the Nets.....

I see what you are doing and its not working, you are trying to hold in your excitement and trying to look like you know Pierce doesnt want to be here. In reality you are so excited and just writing this BS to make others feel better. This isnt a game of friendship between teams. Support your team for once

ryder78c
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
if i was the celtics i'd do this trade just for the pick and young player in brooks then get bledsoe and Jordan for KG

Jordan
Hump-expires next year cap for 2014
Green
Brooks - not sure what bradley plays so somebody else can put him there i know its SG or PG
Bledsoe-Rondo Next year

DoMeFavors
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Chance at a title? The Bulls without Rose are better than the Nets :laugh:

Standings dont lie buddy

KnickaBocka.44
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Why are you bringing up the Knicks? Nothing you said in this post has anything to do with the topic in this thread.

DoMeFavors
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Why are you bringing up the Knicks? Nothing you said in this post has anything to do with the topic in this thread.
Because im giving an example of the post you had to reply to. That Billy and Nets are about winning, and your franchise isnt. So you might be a little jealous.

VinceCarter
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Hump can come back next year (or even this year) and play up to that contract (or come close) with the correct playing time. Let's not forget HE IS NOT GETTING MINUTES THIS YEAR! Obviously his numbers are down!

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-20-2013, 07:00 PM
imagine that kg Rondo and Humphries all teammates... lol

tippa irie
02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Pierce washed up expensive and can not play D. All he is worth maybe a second round pick!!

WHODAT8o8
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Pierce washed up expensive and can not play D. All he is worth maybe a second round pick!!

:facepalm:

RipCity32
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
If Jordon ever did come out of retirement I think we all know what team would throw a max deal at him lol.

D-Leethal
02-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I think its safe to say Nets are willing to offer Hump and Brooks for just about anything. Its too bad that package blows.

Sactown
02-20-2013, 07:15 PM
I think its safe to say Nets are willing to offer Hump and Brooks for just about anything. Its too bad that package blows.

Pretty much, but hey, they're trying!

Champology
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Pierce is ancient

D-Leethal
02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
No way C's deal Pierce within the division either way.

HYFR
02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
proky: this good trade for both team

RipCity32
02-20-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't think that package will be worth breaking up the sentimental value Boston has with Peirce.

Green_Monster
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Good post, and nice sig.

:laugh2:

oak2455
02-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Standings dont lie buddy

Yet the Knicks are ahead of the Nets make up your mind :laugh:

oak2455
02-20-2013, 07:46 PM

No way C's deal Pierce within the division either way.

agreed.... especially for that package.... like if the Yanks would trade with the Jays, the Jays would ask more from the Yanks

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-20-2013, 07:48 PM
From a pretty reliable source, Net Income from Netsdaily:

Now told definitively the Celtics approached the Nets

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/2/20/4010670/nba-trade-rumors-nets-celtics-paul-pierce#comments

Welp.

oak2455
02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJiAK-s5a0

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJiAK-s5a0

you're equally as obsessed with the Nets as DMFs is.

Congrats.

sjbirds
02-20-2013, 07:54 PM

correction he goes after old talent. Did same thing in philly with c-webb and big dog.

JerseysFinest
02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't understand why people are taking this so seriously. Rumors will be floated around from now until 2:59 pm tomorrow afternoon. Only a select few actually come to fruition. This is definitely not one of those.

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't understand why people are taking this so seriously. Rumors will be floated around from now until 2:59 pm tomorrow afternoon. Only a select few actually come to fruition. This is definitely not one of those.

With the C's supposedly offering this to the Nets, I think it could be a possibility.

D-Leethal
02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
With the C's supposedly offering this to the Nets, I think it could be a possibility.

That really doesn't mean much dude. You saw an unnamed source who's definitively confirming a discussion turned rumor. The NBA trade deadline and all these unnamed sources who could be the freakin' water boy for all we know, is like one giant game of telephone. C's could have approached them about CJ Watson (which was actually reported in the original article) and all of a sudden through the grapevine Paul Pierce is about to go in a blockbuster and the C's initiated it.

I mean this is an ALL TIME great for that historic franchise, a guy who wants to spend his entire career there, and there gonna trade him for an expiring and Marshon ****ing Brooks? This is the least conceivable rumor I have heard.

I would be more hopeful for Josh Smith if I were you, just because it makes more sense and it doesn't seem like anyone is offering anything at all for the guy, and I don't think many teams want to pony up the max for him, but I think Proky would.

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
That really doesn't mean much dude. You saw an unnamed source who's definitively confirming a discussion turned rumor. The NBA trade deadline and all these unnamed sources who could be the freakin' water boy for all we know, is like one giant game of telephone. C's could have approached them about CJ Watson (which was actually reported in the original article) and all of a sudden through the grapevine Paul Pierce is about to go in a blockbuster and the C's initiated it.

I mean this is an ALL TIME great for that historic franchise, a guy who wants to spend his entire career there, and there gonna trade him for an expiring and Marshon ****ing Brooks? This is the least conceivable rumor I have heard.

I would be more hopeful for Josh Smith if I were you, just because it makes more sense and it doesn't seem like anyone is offering anything at all for the guy, and I don't think many teams want to pony up the max for him, but I think Proky would.

If I had to break it down, I'd say we have a MUCH better chance at Smith than we do Pierce but I just bounced off of what Net Income said with the C's approaching the Nets. He's always been very very consistent and has pretty reliable sources. Now is that to say Pierce is a definite? No. And is that to say the C's SHOULD do this deal? Definitely not. But if its out there, and more and more (reliable) sources are coming out with this information, I dont hate our chances.

To be honest, I think we end up with nobody at the trade deadline. (MAYBE J.Smith if the Bucks back off).

oak2455
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
you're equally as obsessed with the Nets as DMFs is.

Congrats.

says the guy who post a story with unnamed sources well done Johnny:laugh:

oak2455
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
there are some many rumors this is just one of too many......I say this happening, is less than 30%....thoughts?

apocalypse15
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
All this talk about the Celtics blowing things up yet still in contention for the playoffs yet the Lakers are doing worse and nothing about them blowing up?? At least the Celtics are above .500 yet the Lakers are below and all I hear about them is CAN they make the playoffs and how to get Dwight to stay.... Gasol 32,Nash 39,Artest 34,Kobe 35, Jamison 37 (just a throw in) but that's an average of 35+ to a Celtics 35 average of there oldest 5 players(not it isn't much). Why wouldn't the Lakers throw out a Kobe in a trade for picks and younger talent? Or even Nash or Gasol or Artest?

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
says the guy who post a story with unnamed sources well done Johnny:laugh:

Sure... we'll go with that. Net Income has been reliable through multiple Nets trades and has been mentioned many times on this site.

ManRam
02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorta unrelated..

@ESPNSteinLine
Nets have made play this week for Milwaukee's Ersan Ilyasova, I'm told, but their trusty Kris Humphries/MarShon Brooks bundle was rejected

They're offering that package for anything and everything it seems like. I'm not sure they're gonna find what they want.

It certainly shouldn't fetch Pierce.

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Ah so this is what happened:

Confirmed Ainge offered PP 2 BK 4 top 2-3 player, JJ, no doubt. Makes me think if team is found 2 take him KG might accept deal 2 contender

https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/304386505793757184

gotoHcarolina52
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Sorta unrelated..

They're offering that package for anything and everything it seems like. I'm not sure they're gonna find what they want.

It certainly shouldn't fetch Pierce.

Billy King is probably posting an add on Craigslist as we speak.

"Kris Humphries + MarShon Brooks. Lightly used. Great value. Free shipping. PayPall your washed-up superstar to b.king@nets.com by 3pm Thursday, February 21, 2013."

oak2455
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Billy King is probably posting an add on Craigslist as we speak.

"Kris Humphries + MarShon Brooks. Lightly used. Great value. Free shipping. PayPall your washed-up superstar to b.king@nets.com by 3pm Thursday, February 21, 2013."

thats funny:laugh:

LeperMessiah
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Lolwut

DoMeFavors
02-20-2013, 08:49 PM
thats funny:laugh:

Isnt there a Knicks game on? oh yeah they look good right now

FriedTofuz
02-20-2013, 09:30 PM
domefavors you're always so irrelevant ...

KnickaBocka.44
02-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Because im giving an example of the post you had to reply to. That Billy and Nets are about winning, and your franchise isnt. So you might be a little jealous.

You make little to no sense at all....ever.

netsgiantsyanks
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
DMf taking L's.