PDA

View Full Version : W's and Hornets discussing trade: Eric Gordon for Klay Thompson & RJ/Beans

steveweve
02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Yesterday, John Reid of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported that, while the Hornets aren't actively shopping Eric Gordon, they would be interested in a deal with the Warriors that included Klay Thompson. And according to Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio, those two teams have engaged in discussions that a source classifies as "more than exploratory" (https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/304298433991307264).

In Reid's report yesterday, he noted that the Warriors are reluctant to part with Thompson, since the team feels he's a young emerging star. Gordon has also had injury issues over the last couple years, and is in the first year of an expensive long-term contract. If talks between the two sides progress, I'd imagine the Warriors would push the Hornets to take on at least one of Golden State's bad contracts -- Richard Jefferson and Andris Biedrins are earning $10.16MM and $9MM this season, respectively, and are certain to exercise their equally pricey player options for next season.

ESPN.com's Chris Broussard reported yesterday that the Hornets had made Gordon available in trade talks, though potential suitors have some concerns about his health. The 24-year-old shooting guard would also have the opportunity to veto any deal, since the Hornets matched his offer sheet in restricted free agency last summer.

winwarriorslose
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

sfattahian
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
liar

sfattahian
02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
interesting Gordon is 10lbs heavier than Thompson, but Thompson is 4 inches taller. Thompson is pinner, no wonder he gets physically abused. Not sure a 6'3" 2-guard would hold down the 2 position any better though. We need size and athleticism for defense and rebounding damnit!

MackShock
02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Why is this thread titled as if it happened already? Misleading. AF.

rocketman0621
02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
not gonna happen.

Bayareaboy
02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Yea I read the title and thought it already happen to. I was think wow I don't like it

Guppyfighter
02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
interesting Gordon is 10lbs heavier than Thompson, but Thompson is 4 inches taller. Thompson is pinner, no wonder he gets physically abused. Not sure a 6'3" 2-guard would hold down the 2 position any better though. We need size and athleticism for defense and rebounding damnit!

Klay has been our best defender this year.

ESaady
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Warriors are being dumb.

Guppyfighter
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
This is probably not a good trade, but it's better than the ones that include Klay for Turner or Evans. lol Which was suggested a lot here.

sacgiants1213
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
This makes 0 sense. Why would they want an undersized back court again? Plus, Klay will only get better...

Guppyfighter
02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Gordon has top three potential for SG's when healthy, but that's a big if and then there is his contract.

This one is really tough for me. I don't think I would have the guts to pull the trigger on this one. I get why they want to, but man.

MackShock
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't know why people wouldn't go for a prototype off guard and would prefer a undersized off guard.. who else would take Reggie Miller over Allen Iverson?

COOLbeans
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
This trade better not happen

COOLbeans
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Depending on my point guard, I would take either Reggie Miller or Allen Iverson. Either one will help the team win.

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah this title is misleading as ****.

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Sam Amico: FYI: Source says trade talks involving Hornets G Eric Gordon and Warriors G Klay Thompson are at "more than exploratory" stage

Sam Amico: If Warriors were to make trade, it'd have to involve contract of either Richard Jefferson or Andris Biedrins, league sources say.

Please don't happen.

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Many said M. Ellis held Curry back … And they might've been right. Well, Gordon a scorer 1st and foremost, too. He'll do same.

Eric Gordon's will make over $14 million in 2013-14, over $14 million in 2014-15 and over $15 million in 2015-16. That's awful.

Dude, don't make this trade.

lol, please
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Get rid of that soft perimeter chucker!

(joking)

(sorta)

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Soft. He's probably our best one on one defender.

sfattahian
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
He is certainly not hard. Warriors fans overrate his defense so much its rediculous. People talk like he's Tony Allen or something. He's average at best and doesn't have a great deal of potential defensively since he's not a premier athlete and prone to mental lapses. Not to mention he is under 200lbs at 6'7" (he's 6'5" barefoot).

Gordon is the superior player, a premier scorer, but Klay is a much bettter fit with this team IMO. Gordon will only do what Monta did, which is disrupt the flow of the offense and be a volume shooter. Curry needs a complimentary player like Iguodala... somebody very athletic who can lock down defensively, share the play-making duties, rebound and get out of the break.

Marcus Thompson made a good point on the radio today. He said Warriors have no go-to guy to get easy buckets late in games. Therefore, our easy baskets come in transition, but we don't get out in transition when teams are scoring 30pts per quarter. As constructed, we need a wing defender or somebody who can help create turnovers. Gordon fills none of those roles for our team.

Curry, Thompson, and Gordon are all too similar. We need to pick one (Curry) and build around him, not just add a bunch of skill players. We are trying to build a winning team, not a 3-pt shooting contest winning team.

steveweve
02-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Don't see how it's so misleading, good sources are reporting its extremely close.. Hornets are gonna pull the trigger if we offer Thompson and RJ or Beans. No idea what the front office is thinking on this one. It's probably 50/50 that the trade goes down.

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd say it's 30/70

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
But god if it goes down, I might lose it.

tadmanny
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
I do this deal in a heartbeat. It makes us better and more competitive. The reason Monta, Curry didnt work is because they didn't have a Center. Now, having Bogut in the middle makes the deal a lot more interesting. I know he is injury prone, but we have to make a deal to try and do better than just making the playoffs. I can't stand watching Klay and Barnes on the floor at the same time. All they do is launch threes. Barnes has greater potential due to his athleticism. I absolutely can't stand Klays game or shot selection. Make the deal.

steveweve
02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
If it goes down I will support the trade.. Every move we have made has moved us in the right direction. Maybe the front office knows something that we dont? I enjoy watching Klay & Curry in the backcourt, we finally have size. And we would throw that away by bringing Gordon in, the way I see it is like this:

Gordon: Young, Slasher, Great play maker, Can create his own shot, Undersized for SG, injury prone

Thompson: Young, Great 3 point shooter, Can't really create his own shot yet, Relys on the 3 too much, good D, Doesn't drive (when he does, he doesn't finish to often), Healthy

I'm not bashing on Thompson, he has a very bright future. But ultimately I believe that Gordon is just a better fit with Curry. The size and injury history concerns me, but come playoff time, we have somewhat of a "go to" player.

ThaDubs
02-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Klay is by far our best on ball defender.

sfattahian
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Don't see how it's so misleading, good sources are reporting its extremely close.. Hornets are gonna pull the trigger if we offer Thompson and RJ or Beans. No idea what the front office is thinking on this one. It's probably 50/50 that the trade goes down.

"good sources" and "extremely close"

Do you have links?

sfattahian
02-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Klay is by far our best on ball defender.

That's not saying much, who else do we have?

Bazemore, Green, Rush (when healthy) all better on-ball defenders than Klay.

Not all defense is on-ball though, so analyzing defenders isn't that simple.

My defensive scouting report for Klay would be this:

He communicates poorly and lacks discipline on defense, but he has good feet to stay in front of defenders. Lacks strength, determination to match physical players, but he's long and has good hands which can be disruptive.

Leandres_sf
02-20-2013, 08:47 PM
This trade doesn't make sense to me...

Monta is beast
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Sources say the rumored Eric Gordon-to-the-Warriors' deal will not happen before Thursday's trade deadline. Don't count out the chance that it could be visited (or re- visited) this summer. Why? Will explain shortly.

Thank god.

lol, please
02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
He is certainly not hard. Warriors fans overrate his defense so much its rediculous. People talk like he's Tony Allen or something. He's average at best and doesn't have a great deal of potential defensively since he's not a premier athlete and prone to mental lapses. Not to mention he is under 200lbs at 6'7" (he's 6'5" barefoot).

Gordon is the superior player, a premier scorer, but Klay is a much bettter fit with this team IMO. Gordon will only do what Monta did, which is disrupt the flow of the offense and be a volume shooter. Curry needs a complimentary player like Iguodala... somebody very athletic who can lock down defensively, share the play-making duties, rebound and get out of the break.

Marcus Thompson made a good point on the radio today. He said Warriors have no go-to guy to get easy buckets late in games. Therefore, our easy baskets come in transition, but we don't get out in transition when teams are scoring 30pts per quarter. As constructed, we need a wing defender or somebody who can help create turnovers. Gordon fills none of those roles for our team.

Curry, Thompson, and Gordon are all too similar. We need to pick one (Curry) and build around him, not just add a bunch of skill players. We are trying to build a winning team, not a 3-pt shooting contest winning team.
:clap:

MackShock
02-20-2013, 11:32 PM
yeah..we have an offensive player in Lee, and needed a defensive center to compliment him. now we have an offensive player in curry, and need a defensive two guard to complement curry. i'd consider evan turner, but seeing as we already have barnes, turner is not needed on this team.

i would also look into putting barnes at shooting guard.

Rush
02-21-2013, 12:38 AM

It's misleading because you said "Hornet to trade Eric Gordon...", but right now there is no agreement. A better title would've been, "Hornets and W's discussing Gordon for Klay+ trade".

Trading season. My favorite time of year.

robbnen#31
02-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Nice title, Steve!

bigmac8675
02-21-2013, 03:03 AM
I hope this doesn't happen.

lincecum=future
02-21-2013, 03:08 AM
I'm really not the biggest Klay fan but I would not mess with Gordon. That contract is disgusting especially with his injury concerns. Hasn't played a full season since his rookie year !

MackShock
02-21-2013, 04:52 AM
neither has curry ;)

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 04:56 AM
We got Curry on a discount, it's not the same.

MackShock
02-21-2013, 05:11 AM
their contracts isn't the point..

as it sits right now, gordon and curry are both injury prone so far.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
their contracts isn't the point..

as it sits right now, gordon and curry are both injury prone so far.

Sure, but both high ceiling guys.

Gordon is very underrated here, he is an extremely high risk trade guy, but that guys ceiling is sky high. Potential to be elite. Style of play is pretty close to Wade. Poor man Wade basically. Potential to be as good.

MackShock
02-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Yeah, but height is the issue for me. I mentioned this earlier, don't know if you caught it or not..but...

it would be like asking if you wanted Iverson (undersized scorer) or Reggie Miller (shooter), being Gordon and Thompson respectively.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Yeah, but height is the issue for me. I mentioned this earlier, don't know if you caught it or not..but...

it would be like asking if you wanted Iverson (undersized scorer) or Reggie Miller (shooter), being Gordon and Thompson respectively.

Dwade is 6'4 220 pounds
Eric Gordon is 6'3 216 pounds

In the end, I don't make my choice based on height. I'd make it on contract, health, impact on the court, and upside.

I'd take a 6'0 Chris Paul of a 6'5 Rubio.

I'd take a 6'9 Dwight over a 7'2 Roy Hibbert.

Height matters, but it is not the end all be all thing to look at.

Also, I would not do this trade, I am just putting it out there why it makes sense.

TrueFan420
02-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Dwade is 6'4 220 pounds

In the end, I don't make my choice based on height. I'd make it on contract, health, impact on the court, and upside.

Also, I would not do this trade, I am just putting it out there why it makes sense.
Dwight isn't 6'9 but agreed on the point. However I still don't make that trade. Too injury prone and don't like the contract.

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Dwight isn't 6'9 but agreed on the point. However I still don't make that trade. Too injury prone and don't like the contract.

Me too. I agree with that. The contract worries me, but only because of the health. If healthy, contract is worth it I think, but health is a big issue. Especially when you are considering knees, because knees are kind of important.

lincecum=future
02-21-2013, 05:34 AM
We already have 2 starters made of glass no need to add another

MackShock
02-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Dwade is 6'4 220 pounds

Isn't Dwight 6'11? And yeah I get what you're saying, it does make sense. But for me, I guess Nellieball has traumatized me. You may not agree but I think that the traditional prototype at each position (we have that on our team now) gives you the best shot at winning.

I guess I am talking just height wise, but I also know you don't pass up on a 6 foot Chris Paul for a 6'7 Livingston for your point guard. Height just gives you matchup favor, but generally speaking who wouldn't want a taller lineup?

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 05:37 AM
Yeah, sure I agree. Height is pretty important in basketball.

Monta is beast
02-21-2013, 06:34 PM
6'9 Dwight Howard :facepalm:

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
6'9 Dwight Howard :facepalm:

I was thinking of Hakeem the Dream when I said that who is 6'9 or 6'10.

But after all the stupid things you said I am pretty sure you were just waiting one from me. lol

COOLbeans
02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Dwight Howard is shorter than Kevin Durant by at least one maybe 2 inches.

I actually think he's about 6'10

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't matter because it didn't detract from my point and everyone understood what I was trying to say. He's still shorter than Hibbert under any circumstance.

Monta is beast
02-21-2013, 08:40 PM
But Howard is still a good height for his position. What he was trying to say, is that if you are undersized for your position it hurts you defensively. There are some exceptions, but for the most part, if your short for your position, it hurts you defensively (Common Sense).

MackShock
02-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I swear hakeem was a 7 footer

Guppyfighter
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
But Howard is still a good height for his position. What he was trying to say, is that if you are undersized for your position it hurts you defensively. There are some exceptions, but for the most part, if your short for your position, it hurts you defensively (Common Sense).

Tell that to Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade. Eric Gordon is not a bad defender. He is getting a bad rep.