PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson says D'Antoni is doing it wrong

Farcelona
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Watching the Lakers this season has to be a special kind of weird for Phil Jackson after his pitch for a return to coaching the team was shot down.

But Jackson has observed the Lakers nonetheless, and he thinks he has found the biggest source of their woes.

In a wide-ranging interview with Sports Illustrated (conducted prior to Dr. Jerry Buss' death Monday), Jackson said that Dwight Howard hasn't measured up to his potential -- and the Lakers' playing style is to blame for the disparity.

"They just don't put the ball in the post," Jackson said when asked what stood out to him about the Lakers. "They'll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there's no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn't get any touches. They've basically eliminated his assets."

Phil making a bid for the job?

Is he secretly happy that D'antoni, Kobe and the boys aren't making it work?

ManRam
02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
I mean, he's right.

They don't really find creative or consistent ways to get Dwight the ball in good position. The Magic knew how to do it, and it worked GREAT. It's just not being done in LA, and considering the personnel they have, that's unacceptable.

SteBO
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
^He doesn't get the ball in those spots because D'Antoni doesn't believe in post-ups. Just an odd hire by Jim Buss......

D-Leethal
02-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Dwight sucks in stagnant post ups anyway. I'm not sure forcefeeding Dwight in the post is the solution, but I don't really have any of my own personal solutions outside of the guys just straight up don't want to play hard for each other and Mike D has never been the type of guy to get his players to give supreme effort on both ends.

Its tough to gauge, Phil has always hated Mike D and I'm sure is a bit salty over the whole situation, but it seems more of the frustration from the guys actually in the trenches on that team is pointed at Dwight, and not the coach. That, to me, speaks volumes.

D-Leethal
02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I mean whats good position for Dwight? I see him get the ball on the block all the time, just being after pick and rolls. Hes not converting the ones he gets. Van Gundy was always pretty set against NOT forcefeeding Dwight in stagnant post ups from what I remember. Its tough to do that with a guy who can't pass out of the post - it makes it very stagnant and easy to defend.

I mean what is Dwight's spot anyway?

Would be cool for someone to put some article together with video clips from plays that worked with success in ORL compared to the garbage we see now. I personally don't think its all that much different at all but I'm not saying I'm an expert on the way Dwight gets into his offense.

justinnum1
02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Just PJ saying what everyone knows, except lakers front office. lol

WITZ
02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
I still don't understand why the lakers hired D'Antoni over Phil to begin with :laugh2:

noodle
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Everyone else on the planet, except for Mike D'antoni: "We know"

oak2455
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
PJ will be the Lakers coach next year mark it down ......sorry Pringles

justinnum1
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I still don't understand why the lakers hired D'Antoni over Phil to begin with :laugh2:

Because jim buss is determined to screw the lakers. And PJ is screwing jimmy's sister lol!

He115ing
02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Bad fit for Lakers, bad fit for Dwight. Dantoni is just garbage.

Captain Moroni
02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I have not won 11 NBA titles like Phil Jackson, and even i know Dantoni is doing it wrong.

Sactown
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Unless being under .500 with
Dwight
Kobe
Nash
Pau

Is doing it right, than I think it's obvious he's doing it wrong lol.

Captain Moroni
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Here is a funny question.....IF (Big IF) the lakers turn this around and win the Championship is Dantoni suddenly a good coach?
Did Spoletra suddenly become a good coach after last season?

mikekhelxD
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
We all know that. It is not whether Howard is not good on the post, but "consistency" is the key. Let's face it, Dwight get his touches mostly from picks. Sure that Dwight is immature, but put yourself in his position.

Sactown
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Here is a funny question.....IF (Big IF) the lakers turn this around and win the Championship is Dantoni suddenly a good coach?
Did Spoletra suddenly become a good coach after last season?

Spo is loaded with talent and is still a ****** coach, so much so that even on a good day, most coaches would out coach him..

Just like Mike Brown is a bad coach, and so is Dantoni... even if the Lakers get Dwight, Bron, KD, CP3. Kobe and win 20 rings.

MaloDaw9
02-20-2013, 03:06 PM
lol..no ****

the worst thing about watching dwight in the post is he needs so much room to work he looks like a bull in a china shop..he is not good in small spaces. his hands look horrible..no touch around the rim and his bad ****ing back is so stiff that watching him move is like watching a bus do a U-turn..
but hey maybe he will bounce back next year..wherever that is

Rivera
02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
That what she said

rockbottom2010
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
i totally agree with phil jackson.....

Sactown
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
In Dantoni's defense, A huge part of the problem is the players not getting on the same page...

DubiousCustomer
02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
No one wants to put any responsibility on Dwight, even though it's the players that decide what happens during the game. Probably because that would mean their entire framework about what makes a good basketball player is garbage.

Edit: as clarification, does Dwight Howard not know how to score the basketball if a coach doesn't tell him what to do? Has this guy not been playing basketball for basically his entire life? Why can't he figure out how to be dominant on his own for at least minimal stretches of the game? Blame the coach, it's a tried and true tactic when people don't want to admit any responsibility (or when they want to create media controversy).

Sactown
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
No one wants to put any responsibility on Dwight, even though it's the players that decide what happens during the game. Probably because that would mean their entire framework about what makes a good basketball player is garbage.

I think it's on everyone... defensive rotations are wrong and it's clear they aren't on the same page. It isn't just Dwight, even if he's a big problem. But for the Lakers to be under .500 is on more than just one person.

Sly Guy
02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
PJ will be the Lakers coach next year mark it down ......sorry Pringles

dunno, I don't see it. I think PJ's too proud and feels like he's been slapped in the face. If another team builds a team full of stars without a coach, then I can see him going there instead. But PJ's not getting any younger either, so he may never come back

Slug3
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Spo is loaded with talent and is still a ****** coach, so much so that even on a good day, most coaches would out coach him..

Just like Mike Brown is a bad coach, and so is Dantoni... even if the Lakers get Dwight, Bron, KD, CP3. Kobe and win 20 rings.

Spo may not be that great, but at least he tries to adjust his offense/gameplan to fit his players.

I also dont see them hiring another coach for next year. I just dont see the Lakers paying 3 different coaches at the same time.

Farcelona
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Can we just stop blaming Kobe? Its clearly Dantonis fault.

netsgiantsyanks
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ow20pAvBEJY/T7qmyRNdU3I/AAAAAAAABGo/DDLt-l_Giss/s1600/tumblr_m45g7nhCQZ1rrdiwlo2_1280.png

DaLakerz Rulz
02-20-2013, 09:13 PM
So what...Dwight's assets include getting touches in the post and going to work there? Give me a break. This team would still suck if Jackson was coaching. Its not like he would somehow turn the Lakers into a defensive juggernaut. You can only do so much with a crap roster that doesn't fit together. Also, getting Dwight more touches so that he can turn it over or pass it out to wide open Artest for 3s is not going to help anything.

LeperMessiah
02-21-2013, 12:50 AM
D'antoini is doing a good job

Losoway
02-21-2013, 01:36 AM
phil just said everything we all been saying . dwight is dwight but he isnt getting any touches at all i guarantee you put him on a team with a decent coach with common sense and dwight will be beasting like NO TOMORROW PUT HIM ON THE NETS OR ANY TEAM AT THAT