PDA

View Full Version : Thunder exploring Gortat for Perkins?

Manimal
02-20-2013, 09:59 AM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/thunder-exploring-marcin-gortat-deal.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If the pick involved is the Toronto pick, I don't know what Phoenix is waiting for. Take it and run.

Bramaca
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I think that would be a decent deal for both sides.

detzfish
02-20-2013, 10:16 AM
I think lamb and Perkins could get it done with no picks. Would be solid for both sides tho.

HouRealCoach
02-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Would make Thunder a lot better

Carey
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Not sure how much traction this has, could have just been some chatter but if it's legit there is no way in hell we'd trade them Lamb and the Toronto pick. It would be either ours or the future 1st rounder we get from Dallas.

RealLiveBear
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
^^ Exactly it would have to be our own of Dallas, although if OKC was to move the Toronto pick it would have to be soon it's losing value fast the more they win with gay.

ldawg
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
that would be a great move

Carey
02-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Or they could have the Toronto pick and we keep Lamb, couldnt be both

Mr_Amaziing
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
I honestly doubt they'll give up Jeremy Lamb. It would probably be Perkins, Toronto's 1st rounder for Marcin Gortat

Then trade Maynor and Liggins for Will Bynum

Pg - Westbrook / Bynum / Jackson
Sg - Sefo / Martin / Lamb
Sf - Durant / Jones
Pf - Ibaka / Collison
C - Gortat / Thabeet / Orton

ChitownSports16
02-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Okc would get better.

SportsFanatic10
02-20-2013, 11:11 AM
if they do it i like that move for the thunder. perkins just isnt very good, and gortat can actually be an offensive presence down low. another option they should look into is getting scola perhaps. a lineup like

westbrook
thabo/martin
durant
scola
ibaka

would be well rounded and scola's post play would help.

LongWayFromHome
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
TOR pick isn't gonna be THAT great and it is a weak draft. Then again Gortat isn't anything special.

Anybody have an informed opinion on his defense?

JiffyMix88
Gortat lost that much value?!

thephoenixson28
if they do it i like that move for the thunder. perkins just isnt very good, and gortat can actually be an offensive presence down low. another option they should look into is getting scola perhaps. a lineup like

westbrook
thabo/martin
durant
scola
ibaka

Scola can be traded. Also I would like the trade but hate Perkins contract.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM

westbrook
thabo/martin
durant
scola
ibaka

Scola can't be traded until the offseason. As a Suns fan I would love
Gortat for Perkins, Lamb and the toronto pick. Doesn't seem very realistic though, we'd be geting too good of a deal or lucky which doesn't happen to us haha.
How about Gortat and Telfair for Perk, Lamb and Raptors pick?
I guess they are rumoring Gortat and PJ Tucker for Perkins, Lamb and the pick.

Wouldn't mind that either.

SportsFanatic10
02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Gortat for Perkins, Lamb and the toronto pick. Doesn't seem very realistic though, we'd be geting too good of a deal or lucky which doesn't happen to us haha.

oh ya that's right, good point. i don't think the thunder would want telfair, if anything happens i highly doubt Lamb is a part of it.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Scola can be traded. Also I would like the trade but hate Perkins contract.

Not a fan of Perks contract either. If we can move Gortat for good pieces (Lamb and toronto pick) I would be happy, just wish we could move Beasley :facepalm:

Carey
02-20-2013, 11:28 AM

We really like Reggie Jackson so Telfair would merely be insurance/3rd PG. Not enough to net the Toronto pick.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
oh ya that's right, good point. i don't think the thunder would want telfair, and like you said if anything happens i highly doubt Lamb is a part of it.

I'm sure you guys don't know alot about Tucker becasue most people don't, but how would you feel about him packaged with Gortat? He's alot like a Thabo/World Peace combo. Amazing defense, he shut Kobe down when we beat them.

Russy/Jackson/Maynor
Thabo/Martin
Durant/Tucker/Jones
Ibaka/Collison
Gortat/Thabeet/Orton

Thunder are my 2nd favorite team and I like that roster alot IF it that were ever to happen.

SportsFanatic10
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm sure you guys don't know alot about Tucker becasue most people don't, but how would you feel about him packaged with Gortat? He's alot like a Thabo/World Peace combo. Amazing defense, he shut Kobe down when we beat them.

Russy/Jackson/Maynor
Thabo/Martin
Durant/Tucker/Jones
Ibaka/Collison
Gortat/Thabeet/Orton

Thunder are my 2nd favorite team and I like that roster alot IF it that were ever to happen.

yeah admittedly i don't know much about tucker, i'm just not so sure they'd be willing to part with lamb though. i think lamb has great potential. but who knows, if they think they need to make that deal to get over the hump then it could happen.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
I just hope the Suns finally blow this up. Real shame is Dragic, we love him here and he's playing amazing (career high 18 dimes last night) If we blow it up, he's stuck for a few years, if we trade him we really have nothing left. I want Gortat, Beasley, Telfair, possibly Dudley, maybe even Morris gone. Blow it all up!
But with Sarver owning the team, Babby and Blanks calling the shots, and Lindsey fricken Hunter running the team, I really don't feel optimistic with this team right now..

Carey
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Russy/Jackson/Maynor
Thabo/Martin
Durant/Tucker/Jones
Ibaka/Collison
Gortat/Thabeet/Orton

I like Tucker a lot, mentioned him in the Thunder forum, nice build, physical defender, good end of the rotation guy to have to throw at wing scorers in the playoffs.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
I like Tucker a lot, mentioned him in the Thunder forum, nice build, physical defender, good end of the rotation guy to have to throw at wing scorers in the playoffs.

Yup, unlimited high energy, goes all out every second he's on the court. Would be huge unsung hero for you guys.

SunsFanIam
02-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I am not a big fan of this trade. It doesn't really give the Suns much in return. I haven't been impressed with Perkins play and we just add another year for a player imo less productive than Gortat. Jeremy Lamb has a lot of potiential but he hasn't really got the minutes to show what he can really do, and as for the draft pick I don't think any of the picks is actually worth it since its not a deep draft in the first place. This trade all around doesn't really excite me since Gortat is only maybe 1 of our 3 true assets we have. I think I rather stand still in my opinion.. We need to either go for some sort of star power or just stand pat and see what we can do in free agency again.

Greet
02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Gortat is a great player

Sly Guy
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I think lamb and Perkins could get it done with no picks. Would be solid for both sides tho.

but it'd be best to give up the pick than lamb, IMO. This draft year's is a weak one, and Toronto's been playing well. And lamb should have probably gone to the raps at 8 last year anyway.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I am not a big fan of this trade. It doesn't really give the Suns much in return. I haven't been impressed with Perkins play and we just add another year for a player imo less productive than Gortat. Jeremy Lamb has a lot of potiential but he hasn't really got the minutes to show what he can really do, and as for the draft pick I don't think any of the picks is actually worth it since its not a deep draft in the first place. This trade all around doesn't really excite me since Gortat is only maybe 1 of our 3 true assets we have. I think I rather stand still in my opinion.. We need to either go for some sort of star power or just stand pat and see what we can do in free agency again.

Gortat doesn't want to be here though, we need to get value for him while we can.

I Rock Shaqs
02-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Gortat on the Thunder would be crazy, but I think PHX would rather take Collison than Perkins unless he is needed for the contracts to match.

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
OKC would take a pretty good hit defensively, but gives them a viable post option on the offensive end.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Another fan base overrating their players. First of all WE are doing the Thunder a favor by giving them an upgrade offensively at the. Position who has a much nore friendlier contract than what the useless Perkins is making. 2nd Pj Tucker was rumored to be included in the deal so Gortat, Tucker and us helping OKC avoid the luxury tax while giving them what they desperately need(back to the basket guy) is EASILY worth Lamb and the Tor 1st.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
OKC would take a pretty good hit defensively, but gives them a viable post option on the offensive end.

Not that big. Perkins is overrated and doesn't really fit on a team like this.

bbNJn5
02-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Saw almost this exact trade proposed previously on an article called "5 Trades That Should Happen"

I think it makes sense for both teams. OKC gets better now, Phoenix can rebuild. That Toronto pick is way overrated though. At this rate Toronto will sneak into the playoffs and you'll have to wait up to 3 years till you get it OR it'll be in the mid teens in a weak class. In the trade I read about, it was basically Perkins, Lamb, and PJ3 for the Hammer. With this trade I think OKC has one of the best front courts in the league.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Another fan base overrating their players. First of all WE are doing the Thunder a favor by giving them an upgrade offensively at the. Position who has a much nore friendlier contract than what the useless Perkins is making. 2nd Pj Tucker was rumored to be included in the deal so Gortat, Tucker and us helping OKC avoid the luxury tax while giving them what they desperately need(back to the basket guy) is EASILY worth Lamb and the Tor 1st.

:clap:

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Not that big. Perkins is overrated and doesn't really fit on a team like this.

His physicality would be missed I think. He's a better man/post defender than Gortat. I don't know if it's a huge drop off, but teams could use someone who plays the way he does.

Carey
02-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Sorry but you dont give up two lottery picks for Gortat and 1 yr of contract relief. Sure Gortat gives us more firepower but we also take a defensive hit for it.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-20-2013, 12:42 PM
If Thunder offering up a pick and Lamb for anyone to take Perkins. Bucks should offer up Dalembert. Bucks need to gather up assets.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Sorry but you dont give up two lottery picks for Gortat and 1 yr of contract relief. Sure Gortat gives us more firepower but we also take a defensive hit for it.

I don't see the defense you and everybody else were talking about and if it was there at some point Miami didn't seem to care much for Perkins. Need I remind you that OKC was forced to sit Perkins in the playoffs at times because he was too slow. Perkins might be just a bit stronger than Gortat but Gortat is faster, more agile and with Iblocka at the PF he has more of a liberty on the offensive end.

Edit: Additionally you have to take into consideration that Gortat plays alongside "matador defense" Scola and is often left playing 1 vs 2 in the post.

justinnum1
02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
thunder lose some defensivley, and i dont know if westbrook is the right PG for gortat. Gortat needs someone that can run pick and roll.

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't see the defense you and everybody else were talking about and if it was there at some point Miami didn't seem to care much for Perkins. Need I remind you that OKC was forced to sit Perkins in the playoffs at times because he was too slow. Perkins might be just a bit stronger than Gortat but Gortat is faster, more agile and with Iblocka at the PF he has more of a liberty on the offensive end.

Right but he defended Duncan well for example in the WCF and OKC may have to meet a team like the Clips or Grizz where having a big like that is beneficial. Gortat would be a better fit vs Miami cause he's quicker and more versatile. But against the bigger teams, they need a guy like Perkins. The whole reason he went there was to match up better with the bigger teams.

benzni
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
thunder should get on this

Carey
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM

That's Miami, because of how they play. Perk isnt a world beater by any stretch but i think he's a good post and team defender. He's are go to post defender, Ibaka isnt ready to be that guy yet. His value is just as much intangible as it is tangible, he says all the right things, he get's guys to the right spots on the floor defensively, when guys are upset about something on the team he's the guy they call a night for guidance. He definetely picked up some key experience in Boston because he's every bit the unsung leader of this team. His value isnt just what you see on the floor.

I personally feel like we're good as long as we get 2 end of rotation guys that are confortable offensive players. PJ3 and Lamb are those 2 guys when ready but we could use stopgaps for right now. Do we need this trade? No. Would i be upset by it if it did happen? No. But not for both lottery assets(Lamb and Toronto's pick), just dont see it as good value.

mdm692
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gortama01.html

Every single stat favors Gortat, even the DWS.

Manimal
Lol @ Thunder fans. Have been outclassed by Miami six games in a row. But would rather hold on to draft picks and a slower than slow Perkins rather than actually challenge for the title. I'm sure Sam Presti knows better.

Thunder need to outplay Miami down low to win. And it's not happening with Perkins.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
That's Miami, because of how they play. Perk isnt a world beater by any stretch but i think he's a good post and team defender. His value is more intangible then tangible, he says all the right things, he get's guys to the right spots on the floor defensively, when guys are upset about something on the team he's the guy they call a night for guidance. He definetely picked up some key experience in Boston because he's every bit the unsung leader of this team. His value isnt just what you see on the floor.

I personally feel like we're good as long as we get 2 end of rotation guys that are confortable offensive players. PJ3 and Lamb are those 2 guys when ready but we could use stopgaps for right now. Do we need this trade? No. Would i be upset by it if it did happen? No. But not for both lottery assets(Lamb and Toronto's pick), just dont see it as good value.

And that's Miami who you are going to have to beat if you expect a ring. If you're satisfied at being the runner up again that's fine but OKC needs a C who is light on his feet but can still block shots and defend the post. Gortat can do all those things without being a liability on offense.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Lol @ Thunder fans. Have been outclassed by Miami six games in a row. But would rather hold on to draft picks and a slower than slow Perkins rather than actually challenge for the title. I'm sure Sam Presti knows better.

Thunder need to outplay Miami down low to win. And it's not happening with Perkins.

Lol they are becoming just as "cocky" as Knicks and Lakers fans. Watch when they lose to Miami they are going to damn Perkins.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Right but he defended Duncan well for example in the WCF and OKC may have to meet a team like the Clips or Grizz where having a big like that is beneficial. Gortat would be a better fit vs Miami cause he's quicker and more versatile. But against the bigger teams, they need a guy like Perkins. The whole reason he went there was to match up better with the bigger teams.

Gortat is taller and longer than Perkins and he is pretty strong. People seem to forget he spent the first couple years of his life developing his defense guarding Dwight Howard. Not the diva in LA but the one that took Orlando to the finals. Gortat get's bashed A LOT by us Suns fans but like I said he often get's left playing 1 vs 2 because Scola plays "matador defense". If you pair Ibaka and Gortat you have one of the best front courts in the NBA that can defend their man and attack the rim.

SunsFanIam
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Gortat doesn't want to be here though, we need to get value for him while we can.

I understand that but having so little value in return for him is pointless. He expires the same year as the big free agency class of 2014. I just don't like making a deal just to make a deal.

mdm692
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I understand that but having so little value in return for him is pointless. He expires the same year as the big free agency class of 2014. I just don't like making a deal just to make a deal.

We are rebuilding that's why we need to make a deal and yes he expires in 2014 but we stand no chance at landing Kobe or Lebron. I would much rather acquire picks and assets like Houston did and then say Kevin Love wants out of Minny guess who has the assets to trade for him? We do. Also I prefer going all in on the 2015 FA class which is when Perkins expires.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2015-nba-free-agents/

Everymanalion
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Remember when Nash was making Gortat look like a borderline all-star? ha

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Gortat is taller and longer than Perkins and he is pretty strong. People seem to forget he spent the first couple years of his life developing his defense guarding Dwight Howard. Not the diva in LA but the one that took Orlando to the finals. Gortat get's bashed A LOT by us Suns fans but like I said he often get's left playing 1 vs 2 because Scola plays "matador defense". If you pair Ibaka and Gortat you have one of the best front courts in the NBA that can defend their man and attack the rim.

I don't think Gortat is a bad defender. But I think Perk will do better against some teams/matchups. I can see the point of this from both ends to be honest. Ibaka in his own right is a great shot blocker, but his post defense could use some work. Perkins is the guy they can throw on big guys like Howard/Bynum/Duncan etc... Because he's a physical guy. Gortat while a good defender in his own right, I just don't think is as good as Perk when it comes to bodying up against the bigger guys. I think their front court would take a hit defensively (like I said maybe not a big one), but give them more flexibility on the offensive end.

I know Gortat is not a pushover by any means, and playing somewhere where he's not entirely happy is not ideal, and going to a contender might up his game a lot. I'm just going off of what I know now of the 2 and their history.

Chronz
02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
His physicality would be missed I think. He's a better man/post defender than Gortat. I don't know if it's a huge drop off, but teams could use someone who plays the way he does.

That was only relevant when the Lakers first got Dwight. Now that they are a mess, there really is no reason to have a great low post defender who is a liability in a team scheme on both ends IMO.

Gortat makes them favorites in my book.

SunsFanIam
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
We are rebuilding that's why we need to make a deal and yes he expires in 2014 but we stand no chance at landing Kobe or Lebron. I would much rather acquire picks and assets like Houston did and then say Kevin Love wants out of Minny guess who has the assets to trade for him? We do. Also I prefer going all in on the 2015 FA class which is when Perkins expires.

The biggest thing about going out and getting FA's is you have to have something they want to come to.. Sure we can try and get second teir players like Eric Gordon or players trying to restart their careers like Beasly but the only way to get stars to sign here is to already have a starting core of guys that can compete which we don't, or build thru the draft. With the picks that OKC has you arent going to find a stud. This draft is not very deep, and their picks arent very low. I just don't see huge upside to this trade. We need to start getting some good players in here and Perkins, Lamb, or the pick is just not going to do that. Gortat might not want to be here but he still has upside to teams and I think we can shop him and get more back for him than Perkins or lamb. Thats just my Opinion.

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
That was only relevant when the Lakers first got Dwight. Now that they are a mess, there really is no reason to have a great low post defender who is a liability in a team scheme on both ends IMO.

Gortat makes them favorites in my book.

Perk did a stellar job on Tim last year as well imo, and would probably be beneficial in a match up say vs a team like the Grizz. But your right they did get him (I think) primarily for the Lakers back in the Bynum days. So I could see them changing it up. He does add another element to their team, and if used properly could be extremely helpful.

sp1derm00
02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
thunder lose some defensivley, and i dont know if westbrook is the right PG for gortat. Gortat needs someone that can run pick and roll.

I actually don't think OKC loses much defensively with Gortat. He's a very capable defender, just doesn't keep his man out of the paint as well as Perkins does.

The pick and roll is also something I'm sure Westbrook can run, it's not a very hard play, it's just that Westbrook has never had a big like Gortat to run it with.

mightybosstone
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
This trade makes so much sense it almost has to get done. The Thunder have needed a low post option for years and Gortat would be a perfect, reasonably inexpensive option. He's versatile in that he can score from pretty much everywhere inside 18 feet, he's a solid rebounder and he's hardly a liability on defense. And as chronz already mentioned, with Dwight not on a contender anymore, there isn't a huge need for an elite defender at the 5 in the Western Conference. If Westbrook can learn to excel at the pick and roll, he and Gortat should be a deadly combination.

Chronz
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Perk did a stellar job on Tim last year as well imo, and would probably be beneficial in a match up say vs a team like the Grizz. But your right they did get him (I think) primarily for the Lakers back in the Bynum days. So I could see them changing it up. He does add another element to their team, and if used properly could be extremely helpful.
He did a great job vs Bynum, he gives traditional centers fits but I think the Grizz abused him IIRC, and I dont know about Duncan. He actually shot a lower% when Perkins wasn't on the floor.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

That FA class is nuts.. obviously not all of those guys are gonna be FA's/available but wow..:cool:

Carey
02-20-2013, 01:32 PM

And that's Miami who you are going to have to beat if you expect a ring. If you're satisfied at being the runner up again that's fine but OKC needs a C who is light on his feet but can still block shots and defend the post. Gortat can do all those things without being a liability on offense.

Excuse me for favoring being yearly contenders over being the occasional front runner. I never said getting Gortat was a move i didnt want, just said i didnt want to overpay which is what i feel giving up Lamb and the Toronto pick would be imo.

The biggest thing about when we play Miami is willingness to play smaller and needing to acquire 1 or 2 more comfortable offensive players. Gortat obviously would fit that, him and a cheap wing guy would nice.

I dont see how understanding the vision of Sam Presti is being "cocky"...we are a good team, if we dont make at least a move for the end of our rotation it's highly unlikely we win it all, we'll even be hard pressed to get out of the west. Yes we need a move but it doesnt have to be this one.

It's a shame that i try to have rational convo on here and i get cocky with no valid reasoning behind it just for having an opposing view.

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
He did a great job vs Bynum, he gives traditional centers fits but I think the Grizz abused him IIRC, and I dont know about Duncan. He actually shot a lower% when Perkins wasn't on the floor.

Small sample size but Duncan shot 70% against Gortat averaging 23 & 11 last year during their matchups. Duncan isn't the guy he used to be but I think he'd be much more effective going against Gortat than Perk.

You might be right about the Grizz matchup, that does ring a bell. Maybe the drop off isn't as big as I think :shrug:

I guess cause I saw he was pretty effective in the WCF, I've got that in my mind still.

SunsFanIam
02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
https://twitter.com/Gambo620/statuses/304280135090192385

Dont know how reliable but here.

Phxtoday
02-20-2013, 01:39 PM
https://twitter.com/Gambo620/statuses/304280135090192385

Dont know how reliable but here.

What does it state?

MrfadeawayJB
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Gortat would make the thunder soo much better if they meet the heat in the finals

Chronz
02-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Dont know what to make of the DJ vs Perk matchup but hes had alot of success against him this year. When we go small do you envision him checking Blake or Odom?

Small sample size but Duncan shot 70% against Gortat averaging 23 & 11 last year during their matchups. Duncan isn't the guy he used to be but I think he'd be much more effective going against Gortat than Perk.

You might be right about the Grizz matchup, that does ring a bell. Maybe the drop off isn't as big as I think :shrug:
Yikes that is pretty bad, the only bright side is that Gortat was no slouch himself.
Theres also the fact that Gortat didn't have Ibaka/Collison next to him in Phx but I wont make the case that hes a better defender than Perk vs a guy like Duncan. Ill look into the synergy logs, I dont remember much about those games.

mdm692
I don't think Gortat is a bad defender. But I think Perk will do better against some teams/matchups. I can see the point of this from both ends to be honest. Ibaka in his own right is a great shot blocker, but his post defense could use some work. Perkins is the guy they can throw on big guys like Howard/Bynum/Duncan etc... Because he's a physical guy. Gortat while a good defender in his own right, I just don't think is as good as Perk when it comes to bodying up against the bigger guys. I think their front court would take a hit defensively (like I said maybe not a big one), but give them more flexibility on the offensive end.

I know Gortat is not a pushover by any means, and playing somewhere where he's not entirely happy is not ideal, and going to a contender might up his game a lot. I'm just going off of what I know now of the 2 and their history.

And I see where you're coming from but he is only good to defend players that are trying to back him down like a Dwight and Bynum. The thing is most C's now can hit the 18 ft jumpshot and I don't think Perkins is long enough or fast enough to deal with those C's who the majority are also fast. Duncan(even at 100 yrs old), Noah with his tornado shot, Gasol, Bosh etc.

SunsFanIam
What does it state?

"No truth to rumor of Gortat and Tucker to OKC for Perkins, Lamb and a first......not going to happen"

mdm692
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM

I guess cause I saw he was pretty effective in the WCF, I've got that in my mind still.

Yeah the past few years the Suns have sucked defensively lol.

Blitzbolt
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
This is bad news for us in the West Especially SAS.

kdspurman
02-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Dont know what to make of the DJ vs Perk matchup but hes had alot of success against him this year. When we go small do you envision him checking Blake or Odom?

Perk? I envision him probably on the bench. Don't think he has near the lateral quickness for either of those guys, even if Odom isn't back to form. Maybe on Blake but I can't see that being successful during long stretches. That's why I was saying some matchups I see the benefits (that being one of them) and if they met Miami again I think he'd be more useful than Perk.

Yikes that is pretty bad, the only bright side is that Gortat was no slouch himself.
Theres also the fact that Gortat didn't have Ibaka/Collison next to him in Phx but I wont make the case that hes a better defender than Perk vs a guy like Duncan. Ill look into the synergy logs, I dont remember much about those games.

That's true... Overall, I could see why Gortat is looked at as the better fit, he's no slouch on D, and can help create offense on his own. Of course this whole thing might not even go down but still fun to speculate

Carey
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
"No truth to rumor of Gortat and Tucker to OKC for Perkins, Lamb and a first......not going to happen"

Not suprising, i think a smaller deal involving Maynor is much more likely.

When you look at how we are structured all our assets can go towards a long term center, a ready PJ3 and Lamb in our rotation will be lethal in time, just need some stop gap options for right now.

gatkins11
02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
This would instantly make the Thunder better.

Mr_Amaziing
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I can see us trading Perkins, Toronto's 1st, Jackson for Gortat and Tucker

Then our 2nd trade would be Maynor, Liggins for Bynum

We get a good backup Pg in Bynum to run the 2nd unit, A Great Center in Gortat, and a good Defense player in Tucker

king4day
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Don't have link but Coro said this rumor was not a real rumor. He's the suns beat writer

sunsfan88
02-20-2013, 03:44 PM
If the trade didn't involve the TOR pick then there would be no point in doing this trade.

OKC's 1st has 0 value so basically the trade would be Perkins, Lamb for Gortat. Perkins has negative trade value and is overpaid like hell. We don't want him here and Lamb isn't enough to acquire an established big man like Gortat. Lamb hasn't proven squat in the NBA.

DR_1
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Lamb and Perkins for Gortat is fair I think.

Cal827
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah, someone mentioned it earlier, I think people are overrating the Raptors Pick in the draft for multiple reasons:

1. Looking at the Raptors end schedule and past record, they are likely to finish 9th or 10th in the Eastern conference, which means the pick will likely be between 11-14th in this weak draft.

2. If, by some miracle, the Raptors pick moves up, it returns to us this season.

When the deal was made in the summer, I was a little pissed, cause I knew if we played badly, we probably would drop a good pick.... but after seeing this draft class, I'm hoping that we lose this one so we can ensure to have a pick in the future drafts (which seem to be more loaded).

I think that BC is thinking the same, cause we could always just grab Boozer for Bargnani and probably squeeze into that last playoff spot (but then the pick would carry on with less protection as the seasons pass by, potentially being a very high pick in the future due to that special protection preventing it from being a playoff draft pick).

Ok onto the main point, OKC should jump on this. Gortat is a decent scoring Center and is worth the money. It would give them 5 guys on the court who can legitimately score. Perkins is overrated and a bloated contract, so that would essentially be a salary dump. Lamb makes sense since they are likely going to look to resign Martin to a smaller contract as their 6th man and they don't have to pay on potential (E.g. Harden). OKC is in a win now mode, so I probably would send the Toronto pick too.

ewmania
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
thunder will be alot more dangerous... a post player and rebounder. thats a championship team no question

also good move for PHX somebody to be a locker room leader and bring that intense D to the court

sunnydayin'zona
02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Meh, if its not:

Gortat + PJ

for

Perkins + Lamb + Toronto 1st

Then I'm going home with Gortat and PJ and not feeling too upset about it.

Suns don't need to make this trade, so no reason to do it just for Lamb OR the toronto pick.

Perkins is worthless, OKC is being dealt a huge favor by PHX taking him back. They better give up the assets for that favor or else PHX walks.