PDA

View Full Version : In 2007 the Pistons and Lakers Agreed to a trade for Kobe Bryant

shep33
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Dr. Buss (RIP) helped convince Kobe to stay in LA. Pistons still had a solid team in 2007.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-passed-on-trade-after-this-lesson-from-jerry-buss--it-s-good-to-be-a-laker-for-life-002209469.html

fter all the anger and angst and fury of the immediate post-Shaq era had inspired Kobe Bryant to make a trade demand, Jerry Buss finally called his superstar guard to the owner's home in the Los Angeles hills on an autumn evening in 2007.

The Los Angeles Lakers had found a trade for Bryant, but Buss warned him that it wasn't to one of his selected destinations.

"Detroit," Buss said.

The Lakers had agreed to a deal to send Bryant to the Pistons and needed Bryant's approval to waive his no-trade clause. The package included a combination of Detroit's core players and draft picks, sources say. Buss and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak needed an answer soon, because they refused to let the issue linger into training camp.

Looking back, Bryant isn't sure it would've mattered whether it was Detroit or Chicago, Dallas or New York. In that moment, in Buss' house in the hills, it washed over Bryant how much staying a Laker for life meant to him, how no matter how dire the state of the franchise seemed, that Buss had a history of restoring the Lakers to championship contention.

"It hit me that I didn't really want to walk out on Dr. Buss," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

[Related: Lakers owner Jerry Buss dead at 80]

Months later, Kupchak honored Buss' faith and made the trade for Pau Gasol. Soon, the Lakers were back in the NBA Finals three straight years and winning two more titles. Soon, Bryant was back to understanding the inevitable essence of Jerry Buss' prowess: In the end, the old man was a force of nature.

The Lakers change forever now with Buss' death. For all the historic talent and genius and ego melded into champions under his watch, Buss was the connection from title to title, the star of stars. From Magic to Kareem, from Riley to West, from Shaq to Kobe, Buss was the self-made icon who commanded the biggest respect in the room.

He didn't come blustering loudly, the way George Steinbrenner did with the New York Yankees. He was the ultimate California cool, a playboy with an understanding that Hollywood commanded celebrity with its stars, glitz with its winning.

Nevertheless, the substance of the man a most American rags-to-riches tale was forever the underlying, undeniable ethic of the Lakers. In so many ways, they never went corporate. They were a mom-and-pop store, a family business.

[Slideshow: Jerry Buss through the years]

In the wake of Buss' death, the most pressing question centers on the ability of his children to work together, hold onto the franchise and operate it in a manner with which it will remain in the sport's elite.

In a perfect world, the Lakers would be run with the stewardship of Buss' daughter, Jeanie. She's earned the right. She inherited her father's social sensibilities and, more importantly, worked to earn the business acumen to run the organization. Nevertheless, Jerry anointed his son, Jim, to lord over the basketball operations, and, ultimately, it could be the undoing of the franchise.

Now, the Lakers understand that relying upon Bryant as the franchise player is coming to an end in the next couple of years, and Dwight Howard must be convinced to stay and be the cornerstone for the future.

[Watch: Remembering Jerry Buss]

Buss had been seriously ill, less connected to the franchise in the past year, but you'd have to believe at a different time in his ownership that he would've forged a relationship with Howard that would've made it impossible for him to leave. Those days are done; Jim isn't Jerry. No one will ever be Jerry Buss again.

In that meeting in the fall of 2007, near the start of training camp, Buss presented Bryant with a scenario of Bryant's own request: a trade out of Los Angeles, out of the franchise that drafted and groomed him and taught him to be a champion.

Even now, Kobe Bryant still thinks about that time in his life when he was too impatient, when he failed to give Buss' own history and greatness its proper due. Whatever the owner had told him that night about a trade Detroit or Chicago, Dallas or wherever it probably wouldn't have mattered.

For all Bryant's impatience, there was still such an immense part of him that was comforted in the company of the Los Angeles Lakers' patriarch. True for Bryant, true for all of them.

[Related: Kobe, ex-Lakers remember Jerry Buss' lasting impact]

No one walks away from the Lakers, from Buss, and does so without a deep, lingering regret. These were the Showtime Lakers, and they would be again with Bryant and Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum. In his 17th season, Bryant's belief that he'll never wear another uniform is unwavering.

Jerry Buss gave Bryant the gift of Jerry West trading for him on draft day in '96, of Shaquille O'Neal and Phil Jackson, of five NBA championships that perhaps wouldn't have been available anywhere else.

All these years later, Kobe Bryant is blessed to know that he never walked out on Dr. Buss, that he'll share something with the late, great owner forever: Lakers for life and beyond.

king4day
02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Pretty incredible that this is coming out now. I wonder who would have come back. Probably Rip and Prince and other assets. They probably wanted to pair Billups and Wallace with Kobe

justinnum1
02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
That was when kobe was ready to quit on the lakers, right?

Hawkeye15
02-18-2013, 10:43 PM
would love to see what the haul for Kobe would have been.

shep33
02-18-2013, 10:49 PM
would love to see what the haul for Kobe would have been.

Me too, I'm guessing it would've been Prince + Hamilton + picks. But who knows

JNoel
02-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Shows how much Dr. Buss will be missed.

ManRam
02-18-2013, 10:50 PM
1. It's always interesting how stories like this get stashed away until a certain time
2. It shows once again how Kobe, like many other stars, have very little patience. We bash a lot of guys for wanting to leave their teams, and Kobe is no different. Hell, Duncan almost fled SAS early in his career too. It was his trust in the organization, the same trust you can't reasonably have in Cleveland, Minnesota, Orlando, etc., that kept him there.
3. This definitely shows a little more to the genius of Buss...and the admiration most everyone around him had. It's a shame he croaked before the other team-owner that shares that same arena. If Kobe did truly decide ultimately not to waive his NTC because of Buss, well, that's a tremendous accomplishment. Imagine how different the NBA landscape would have been.
4. Oh how Detroit has fallen!
5. LOVE to know what the deal was.

Farcelona
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Glad that didnt happen

Gators123
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
@vgoodwill

Would've been Rip, Tay and Amir Johnson along with a future #1 for Kobe in 2007. Story is true source says

^ Pistons beat writer.

Deception
02-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Would've been Rip, Tay and Amir Johnson along with a future #1 for Kobe in 2007. Story is true source says
-Vincent Goodwill

Stole my post Gators

justinnum1
@vgoodwill

^ Pistons beat writer.
Not sure the pistons needed to include the first, but that deal seems fair.

Redskins10
I wonder how different it would have been if Buss had a trade with the Bulls or SAS or another big name team. I'd like to think Kobe wouldn't have thought twice in waiving his no trade clause if that was the case.

C-Wick925
02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
@vgoodwill

^ Pistons beat writer.
:cry:

odiz
02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
@vgoodwill

^ Pistons beat writer.

Thats pretty horrible return for the Lakers.

hugepatsfan
02-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Pistons would have made out like bandits.

RipCity32
Wow that's crazy that we never knew this,What could have been.

ManRam
Chauncey/Stuckey
Kobe/Flip Murray
Hayes/Afflao
Sheed/Maxiell
McDyess/Theo

Would have been interesting.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
So Kobe couldve went to a solid team but chose to stay. But wait I thought he was this selfish guy hellbent on turning his back on the organization? Turns out he was one of many players to speak out of frustration and then later have a change of heart?

Ya don't say.......

Hawkeye15
02-18-2013, 11:04 PM

What? I would have figured multiple 1st's for Kobe at that time.

SoFreshNsoClean
02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
whos to say chauncey doesnt go to LA?

Jayrich28
02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
This and detroit drafting milicic set this organization back , way back, just think how different things would be if those 2 moves had went the other way.

Deception
02-18-2013, 11:06 PM
What? I would have figured multiple 1st's for Kobe at that time.

Prince, Rip, and Johnson all had great value at that time, you're undervaluing the trade of them because you think of them currently. Rip was actually great at that time, Prince was still developing, and Johnson was decent as a big man.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Prince, Rip, and Johnson all had great value at that time, you're undervaluing the trade of them because you think of them currently. Rip was actually great at that time, Prince was still developing, and Johnson was decent as a big man.

They were all all star caliber, Kobe was head and shoulders above them. There is a reason the trade didn't go through, and Kobe wasn't the only reason. You don't trade a player with legend status for 2 really good players and a whatever, along with a late 1st.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
This and detroit drafting milicic set this organization back , way back, just think how different things would be if those 2 moves had went the other way.

Imagine if they had taken any of the following, without getting into a ranking war: Wade, Melo, Bosh.

Jayrich28
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
They were all all star caliber, Kobe was head and shoulders above them. There is a reason the trade didn't go through, and Kobe wasn't the only reason. You don't trade a player with legend status for 2 really good players and a whatever, along with a late 1st.

I agree because at this time the.lakers roster really was just kobe. What the lakers would have in return wouldn't have pleased the la faithfuls. Shaq was gone and a few yrs later u let kobe go who u choose to keep over shaq. Not happening.

shep33
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Would've been an interesting Pistons squad. Pretty solid all around, albeit a bit old, but still they'd be adding a prime Kobe who solves their offensive problems

Jayrich28
02-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Imagine if they had taken any of the following, without getting into a ranking war: Wade, Melo, Bosh.

I think at the time melo was the most likely..his college success and detroit with depth at the bigs and rip and billups chemistry. Melo wouldve been at the 3 with prince being a sixth man.

Guppyfighter
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Melo would have been scary good because someone would have taught him defense.

Ty Fast
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
they never agreed on a trade. the pistons made an offer but thats it.

GunFactor187
02-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Sheed/Billups/Kobe = :drool:

shep33
02-18-2013, 11:35 PM
they never agreed on a trade. the pistons made an offer but thats it.

Sources called it a "done deal" before Kobe and Dr. Buss killed it

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2LJRMz4HI

The first sentence in the Woj article also mentions that the Lakers found a trade they'd take for Kobe

shep33
02-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Sheed/Billups/Kobe = :drool:

Not only those 3, but they had a lot of depth. McDyess, Maxiel, Stuckey, Afflalo, Hayes, Flip Murray, etc.

A lot more enticing than Kobe had in LAL at the time... but then we stole Pau.

Mell413
02-18-2013, 11:51 PM
That would have been a steal for Detroit.

LA4life24/8
02-18-2013, 11:52 PM
damn, so glad that deal didnt go down, LAL would most likely not have those ships we won after we got pau... hope dwight sees this article, shows what it really means to be a laker, he could learn a thing or two about loyalty... this story is really deep and meaningful and gives a little insight to part of who kobe really is

LA4life24/8
02-18-2013, 11:53 PM
also pretty sure those pistons teams would have won one ship, man them conference finals w boston and the big 3 woulda been great too, not to mention how much more would we have seen lebron vs kobe?

AntiG
02-18-2013, 11:54 PM
lol this (Kobe to Detroit) actually happened in my franchise mode for nba2k11

lakers4sho
02-18-2013, 11:56 PM
This isn't news. It was leaked right after it got shut down. Something like prince, hamilton, amir johnson, and a first rounder for Kobe.

Hawkeye15
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Melo would have been scary good because someone would have taught him defense.

Or Brown would have killed him.

Swift Game
02-19-2013, 12:15 AM
That trade would have been like trading a prime LeBron or Kevin Durant for 2 good players and a pick.

Sure glad it didn't go down.

On a side note...if the Lakers are looking to rebuild soon..I would not mind Kobe on the Bulls playing with rose and Noah for a chance at 1 more ring. Maybe even OKC or the clips to stop LeBron and Wade in their tracks.

Jenceman
02-19-2013, 03:27 AM

Lol wow, didn't need to include the first? Kobe was the league's best player at the time.

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 03:41 AM
thought kobe woulda gained more than that

Swift Game
02-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Lol wow, didn't need to include the first? Kobe was the league's best player at the time.

Obviously the guy is just a jealous troll if you have not noticed.

Guppyfighter
02-19-2013, 05:20 AM

He was not the best, but he was top 3-5.

PHX2daDEATH
02-19-2013, 05:31 AM
doesn't trade kobe.. gets Gasol instead..wins two titles...that would of changed the history of the league..Magic and Suns fans probably all feel heart broken---again.. its okay we can blame Joe Dumars this time..

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 05:50 AM
he was the best dumbass.

Chronz
02-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Its the same deal Detroit was throwing at Houston for Tmac.

And how is this news exactly? I guess not knowing Detroit was involved is new but I just assumed everyone with something to offer threw something at the Lakers when Kobe demanded out.

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 05:56 AM
lakeres could have gotten more

Bruno
02-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Assuming that Sheed and Billups stayed in Detroit, the Pistons would have beaten the Spurs in the 2007 NBA finals. The 2008 ECF against Boston would have gone down as a legendary series.

JWO35
02-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Joe Dumars would have won GM of the century if he pulled this off....

kblo247
02-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Joe Dumars would have won GM of the century if he pulled this off....

And him not pulling it off led to him cracking up eventually.

Interesting story, but Kobe has said he was urged by Jeanie to speak to her dad after his trade request. Kobe blew up at Jim and Mitch something awful and Jerry being Jerry calmed him down, and got him the help he promised when he signed back years before

detzfish
02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Old news. This was said back in 07 but is just more accessible because of social media now I guess and more people using computers

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Wasn't the Bulls close to trading for Kobe also? Kobe wanted to team up with Deng? But Lakers wanted Deng?

todu82
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
As a Pistons fan it saddens me a little to hear that we could have had Kobe Bryant. I figure if we still had him with our young players we may be a playoff team by now.

JiffyMix88
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
This isn't news. It was leaked right after it got shut down. Something like prince, hamilton, amir johnson, and a first rounder for Kobe.

Yeah that's the trade mentioned in like post 7 glad you can read.

kdspurman
02-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Assuming that Sheed and Billups stayed in Detroit, the Pistons would have beaten the Spurs in the 2007 NBA finals. The 2008 ECF against Boston would have gone down as a legendary series.

This was during the Spurs/Cavs finals (2006-2007) I believe. I remember hearing him say he wants out while the finals were being played. So he would've went to the Pistons that off-season (2007-2008) No given they would've won vs SA anyway or that SA would've made the finals, though they did lose to LA in the WCF. Would've been very different, that's for sure.

Spiggity_ace
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM

lol the pistons woulda got away with robbery

chauncey
kobe
SF
dyess
wallace

i can only imagine.

JiffyMix88
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
lol the pistons woulda got away with robbery

chauncey
kobe
SF
dyess
wallace
i can only imagine.

:no:

We_need_players
02-19-2013, 03:12 PM

Sheed not Ben, :facepalm:

Lions #81
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM

What's the finger wag for?

Hawkeye15
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Wasn't the Bulls close to trading for Kobe also? Kobe wanted to team up with Deng? But Lakers wanted Deng?

Kobe realized they would have to gut a team to trade him there, so why bother?

rocket
02-19-2013, 04:07 PM
:cry:

JordansBulls
03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
That team was done after the 2008 season.

nickdymez
03-05-2013, 12:45 AM
That was when kobe was ready to quit on the lakers, right?

Yea, good thing he didnt right? Good thing he stayed on 1 team for 17 years and went to 7 finals, winning 5...

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Yea, good thing he didnt right? Good thing he stayed on 1 team for 17 years and went to 7 finals, winning 5...

+1

Kobe was bluffing! You you guys think he would give up The city that gave him everything? No chance.

mightybosstone
03-06-2013, 10:11 AM
God, I wish this trade had happened. The Pistons would still be relevant, the Eastern Conference wouldn't suck so much and can you imagine how amazing Kobe vs. Lebron playoff matchups would have been to watch over the last six years? Also, I could have had Kobe out of my damn conference.

NFLNBA
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Kobe is Jesus on Earth