PDA

View Full Version : McIlrath is getting stupid good right now

itsmillertime
02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Reports seem consistent. He skates likes a speedy, small forward which is hard to believe. His defense has made tremendous strides. When he hits, he simply destroys people. Reports are that several players have trouble getting up when he hits them. He holds his own vs. all the top enforcers. They said last night he responded to an Anthony Stewart hit and beat him like a rag doll. I really think this kid will be up by game 20 for at least 28 games before the playoffs.

metswon69
02-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Can't wait to see the Undertaker myself :D

itsmillertime
02-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm laughing at all the fans and media guys who couldn't believe the Rangers took him over Fowler and Gormley. Fowler, flat out stinks. He's soft as butter. Gormley looks OK but is certainly struggling a lot of nights in the AHL. McIlrath is just getting better and better.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm laughing at all the fans and media guys who couldn't believe the Rangers took him over Fowler and Gormley. Fowler, flat out stinks. He's soft as butter. Gormley looks OK but is certainly struggling a lot of nights in the AHL. McIlrath is just getting better and better.

I have been one of Dylan's biggest supporters since day one. I think Dylan is a really good kid who has a ton of leadership. He does skate a lot better than his detractors will give him credit for. With that said I think it is a huge leap from juniors to the NHL in less than a year. As much as I want to see him in a Rangers uniform I will be patient if that is the best route to go. Hopefully he is ready next season.

NYSPORTS98
02-21-2013, 11:30 PM
He's a tall, slender drink of water. While I was/am thrilled with the pick, I wouldn't rush the kid. Let him get more minutes in Hartford and continue filling out that frame.

and from a distance, Mr. Noreau skates under the radar

SLY WILLIAMS
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
He's a tall, slender drink of water. While I was/am thrilled with the pick, I wouldn't rush the kid. Let him get more minutes in Hartford and continue filling out that frame.

While I'm excited about seeing him play I would be fine with giving him more time in the AHL. Because of his knee injury he really has not played that many games in the AHL. It is a big jump from juniors to the AHL and another big jump from the AHL to the NHL.

NYSPORTS98
02-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98

While I'm excited about seeing him play I would be fine with giving him more time in the AHL. Because of his knee injury he really has not played that many games in the AHL. It is a big jump from juniors to the AHL and another big jump from the AHL to the NHL.

Agreed. IMO, there is also a big jump from "boy power" to "man power". For his role, he's going to need "man power" and I wouldn't want this tall drink of water grabbing the wrong veteran at the NHL level yet.

apdamico
02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
I have been one of Dylan's biggest supporters since day one. I think Dylan is a really good kid who has a ton of leadership. He does skate a lot better than his detractors will give him credit for. With that said I think it is a huge leap from juniors to the NHL in less than a year. As much as I want to see him in a Rangers uniform I will be patient if that is the best route to go. Hopefully he is ready next season.

That still seems to be the so-called experts opinions of his skating ability. Everything I read is that he still needs to improve his skating. I can't say I've seen him skate, just following the scouting reports.

This is still being written about him: "Needs to improve his skating and defensive positioning".

I can't wait for next season when both Fast and Lindberg are projected to play with the Whale!

bsi
02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Ya I haven't heard anything about his ability to skate well either. I watched a couple games with him involved and he wasn't fast by any means.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Before the draft some scouts said he had to work on his skating while other scouting reports mentioned he was fast skater for his size. From what I have seen and heard both are true. He is a fast north south skater for his size who sometimes has not shown great balance. I have read many fans say his skating has improved a lot. Last season I spoke with a guy who is like the king of all WHL fans (not a Rangers fan) and he raved about Dylan and his skating. When Hockey futures did their end of the season report card they said Dylan was without a question the most improved Rangers prospect. I think some fans on other boards who did not want him drafted and have rarely seen him play got hung up on the bad skating rap before the draft and ignored all the scouting reports that said the opposite. I also think a guy that size can be fast but smaller players will often have a quickness edge. Dylan also had to work through 2 knee injuries in 2 years.

From Hockey Futures Prospect review at the end of last season.

Most Improved Prospect: Dylan McIlrath, D, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)

It was surprise to many when the Rangers selected Dylan McIlrath as the tenth overall pick in the 2010 entry draft. Although it was true that New York did not have any crease-clearing, mean defensemen in its stable of prospects, the young blueliner had some skating and balance issues while playing for the WHL Moose Jaw Warriors the season before. McIlrath was a work in progress and in the two seasons since being selected, the tough blueliner has matured quite a bit. Selected as captain of the Rangers' prospects for the Traverse City Rookie Team last fall, McIlrath showed leadership skills which he continued to hone as alternate captain of the Warriors this past season. In addition, McIlrath's skating and positioning improved this season, along with his shot. There is no question that he is the most improved prospect that the Rangers' have in their organization.http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/73071/2012-was-banner-year-for-new-york-rangers-prospects/

itsmillertime
02-23-2013, 06:04 AM
I don't think Fast plays in the AHL. I think he makes the team right away. Easily.