PDA

View Full Version : New York to Host 2015 All-Star Weekend

Punk
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
I think the league realizes how awful these crowds in Orlando and Houston have been

HOUSTON — The N.B.A. All-Star Game is returning to New York in 2015, to a borough yet to be determined.

Both Madison Square Garden and the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn have applied to host the 2015 game, Commissioner David Stern said Saturday. No other cities are currently under consideration, making it a near certainty that New York will host the game.

It also ensures that the revived Knicks-Nets rivalry will take on a new dimension as the franchises compete for one of the N.B.A.’s biggest honors.

“This is terrific,” Stern said, referring to the dueling New York applications.

There are some caveats. The league needs to determine the availability of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, for example, and whether it can secure the required number of hotel rooms. The league also needs the approval and support of the city. Such assessments are part of every All-Star Game application process, but no obstacles are anticipated.

Asked if one of the league’s New York arenas would end up with the game, Adam Silver, the deputy commissioner, responded with a simple “Yes.”

There is no timeline for making the decision, but an announcement usually comes about 12 to 18 months before the game.

New York last hosted the All-Star Game in 1998, at the Garden. Garden officials have been angling to host the game again ever since they began an $800 million renovation of the arena. They now have competition from the $1 billion Barclays Center, which opened in September.

The 2014 All-Star Game will be in New Orleans. HOWARD BECK

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/sports/basketball/new-york-is-likely-to-get-2015-all-star-game.html?_r=0

kobe4thewinbang
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Awesome! It'd be cool to have it in MSG, but I wouldn't mind showing off the new arena.

netsgiantsyanks
02-17-2013, 05:17 PM
i predicted this while i was watching all star weekend with my friend. hopefully it's barclays center :pray:

RLundi
02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I think the league realizes how awful these crowds in Orlando and Houston have been

What are you talking about? The All-Star festivities in Orlando were pretty good. I should know, I was at most of them.

72 Wins
02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Finally, a legit sports town hosting again.

soundjunkies2
02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
They should have it in Oakland, the fans there are great.

PrettyBoyJ
02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I'd be happy with which ever Arena gets it I'd just like to go if it comes to NY

stawka
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Would be amazing at MSG.

mdm692
02-17-2013, 07:18 PM
LBJ will dunk.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 07:33 PM
What are you talking about? The All-Star festivities in Orlando were pretty good. I should know, I was at most of them.

It's not the festivities. It's the ATROCIOUS, dead crowds. It's been so embarrassing for Orlando and Houston that they should be banned from ever hosting an ASW again. Keep it on bigger cities with louder fans. I think an all star weekend in Oakland would be INSANE.

DumDum
02-19-2013, 04:31 AM
I will be down in the city all weekend long

asandhu23
02-19-2013, 04:36 AM
They should have it in Oakland, the fans there are great.

Doesn't matter. Oracle Arena is in a ****** neighborhood. The league will give us one when the new arena on Pier 30 in SF is built.

lakers4sho
02-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Kobe's last.

jam
02-19-2013, 05:00 AM
It's not the festivities. It's the ATROCIOUS, dead crowds. It's been so embarrassing for Orlando and Houston that they should be banned from ever hosting an ASW again. Keep it on bigger cities with louder fans. I think an all star weekend in Oakland would be INSANE.

While I agree that houston fans are in the bottom third of the NBA in terms of crowd reaction and participation, it points to a larger, more fundamental problem: NBA basketball fundamentally sucks. In fact, there are no fundamentals.

I'm a bit biased but I consider nba players to the best athletes in the world. But the game is so thoroughly corrupt and entertainment oriented, it's really nothing more than a one on one and 3 pt chucking exhibition.

Even with a handful of the most competitive people on the planet to have ever lived passing through it's ranks (Larry, Magic, Michael), the game continues to gravitate to it's three - ring circus baseline/lowest common denominator more often than not.

The coaches in the NBA are generally little more than highly paid babysitters with little power over star players.

Sh--, after watching one of the most unwatchable all star weekends, I am starting to hate the NBA. Again. I love basketball, hate the NBA. And no, the NBA and the game basketball aren't synonymous. In fact, you could say the NBA is the complete opposite of real basketball.

QueensG_718
02-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Cool im going to try and get tickets to jame session and the game!

QueensG_718
02-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Jam*

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 06:00 AM
finally a good venue

NoahH
02-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Barclays would be nice.

Then ACC for the next one!

Raps08-09 Champ
02-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Lol. Once they go, they have all the rich SOB's and celebrities go there and barely any real basketball fans.

So don't complain if the crowd is quiet.

netsgiantsyanks
02-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Cool im going to try and get tickets to jame session and the game!

same.

JiffyMix88
02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Can't wait for this crowd to be as lousy as the others. Soon people will realize these crowds aren't the people from their city. **** I stay in Orlando and all I remember seeing were a bunch of people in suits with a whole bunch of siddity *****es(Looked like a bunch of people from New York). So you guys can have your crowd back for your allstar and see how lame the crowd still is.....as if that means anything to the game that's actually being played on the court....

justinnum1
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
either one will work.