PDA

View Full Version : Jazz, Clippers interested in Millsap, Bledsoe swap

eternal slumber
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/jazz-clippers-interested-in-millsap-bledsoe-swap.html

Utah would win this deal easily. they get a young and upcoming point guard in Bledsoe in which the teams biggest need exchange for Millsap, a player that they can easily be replaced with Kanter and Favors.

also Millsap is a UFA after this season.

if i'm Utah, ill even add a first and second round pick on this deal to make it more appealing.

i see a Bledsoe, Odom (for the salaries to match) for Millsap and a lottery protected first round pick and a unprotected second round pick.

NoahH
02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Millsap is underrated and i think the Jazz could get a bit more than this, but Bledsoe is solid as we've seen from the CP3 injury

ManRam
02-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Millsap is underrated and i think the Jazz could get a bit more than this, but Bledsoe is solid as we've seen from the CP3 injury

Millsap is an expiring and well demand a big contract. Bledsoe is still on his rookie contract. The money makes this well worth Utah's time.

shep33
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/jazz-clippers-interested-in-millsap-bledsoe-swap.html

Utah would win this deal easily. they get a young and upcoming point guard in Bledsoe in which the teams biggest need exchange for Millsap, a player that they can easily be replaced with and will be a free agent after this season.

if i'm Utah, ill even add a first and second round pick on this deal to make it more appealing.

i see a Bledsoe, Odom (for the salaries to match) for Millsap and a lottery protected first round pick and a unprotected second round pick.

Bad move for the Clips. Your trading Bledsoe for 30 some odd games of Milsap.

Remember Milsap is going to get paid this summer, and I don't know if he'd be happy with a bench role. Just to add, when is he going to play? Blake eats up those minutes at the 4, particularly in the playoffs.

Hold on to Bledsoe until the offseason

AI
02-17-2013, 02:34 PM
What people are not seeing is that LA would have Millsap's bird rights and could retain him by simply matching.

Sactown
02-17-2013, 02:38 PM
What people are not seeing is that LA would have Millsap's bird rights and could retain him by simply matching.

Question is, will the Clips want to match if the price get's high on a backup PF?

FriedTofuz
02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
what the hell, that's all it takes to get milsap? Bledsoe isnt even that good , what the eff..

D-Leethal
02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
I think Millsap is getting tired of playing off the bench or out of position due to a logjam up front. I don't think he would be interested in signing long term with LAC with no starting role anywhere in his future.

Edit: Didn't read the post above about getting his bird rights. But do they match 10M per for him to be a backup?

I think somebody would offer him 10-12m per. Not sure who has cap space, but I could see Houston and Toronto being very interested and willing to throw him the necessary dough.

Sactown
02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Only makes sense if they get a pick along with it.

shep33
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Doubt this happens. Makes sense for the Jazz, not so much for the Clips

TheNumber37
02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't think the clippers should move Bledsoe. they can make a run and deserve to get a run with the group they have in tact. sure they could use another post up guy... not at the cost of trading Bledsoe whose value is only rising.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Clips would need a pick back for it as well to make this work to me. They won't match an offer for $7-8 million this summer for a backup.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't think the clippers should move Bledsoe. they can make a run and deserve to get a run with the group they have in tact. sure they could use another post up guy... not at the cost of trading Bledsoe whose value is only rising.

unless CP3 bolts this summer, Bledsoe is gonzo anyways.

bigsams50
02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Great trade for the Jazz. I dont know what the Clips are thinking.

Lakers + Giants
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
what the hell, that's all it takes to get milsap? Bledsoe isnt even that good , what the eff..

Better than any player on the lakers not named kobe, dwight or pau. . .

YoungOne
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
makes sense for utah

YoungOne
02-17-2013, 03:47 PM

u are mixing up bird rights with restricted free agency..

shep33
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
u are mixing up bird rights with restricted free agency..

Yup. The other problem is why would the Clips want to pay Milsap anywhere from 7-10 mill per year as a backup PF? Would Milsap even like playing 20 mpg backing up Blake?

UPRock
02-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Not a good trade for the Clippers.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Proof?

NoahH
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Hmm.. Yeah Millsap is expiring. Would he start at SF in LA then?

Jagged QT
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Hmm.. Yeah Millsap is expiring. Would he start at SF in LA then?

Yes, he has improved his game to do so.

lakerboy
02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
If the Jazz give up Millsap, they'll fall out of playoff picture.

Millsap is top 2, if not the Jazz's best player. This is a good deal for the Clips in my opinion.

apet8945
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Yup. The other problem is why would the Clips want to pay Milsap anywhere from 7-10 mill per year as a backup PF? Would Milsap even like playing 20 mpg backing up Blake?

Well, technically the Clippers are currently paying Odom 8 million to be the backup PF, and Odom isn't even half the player Millsap is. So by that logic, the Clippers would sure as hell want to pay the same amount for a better player. But you're right, 7-10 million is a lot for a backup PF role. As for the 20mpg, I think it'd be more around 24-25 mpg since he'd be closing games out instead of DeAndre Jordan.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Clippers are so dumb...They are trading away their entire team to build around Paul while knowingly forgetting the fact that Paul doesn't have a long term contract with them.. They need to worry about signing Paul instead of trading away great pieces.

maddBat
02-17-2013, 05:12 PM
please tell me billy king is callin both gms tryna get a 3-4 team trade. lol

KnicksorBust
02-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Jazz finally getting rid of that logjam in the frontcourt for a quality potential PG. Meanwhile Clips win the talent end and get a starter quality PF to come off the bench. I like it for both.

maddBat
02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
but damn imagine the clippers going big with paul-crawford-blake-milsap-jordan.
sounds crazy with griffin at the sf. but he has the quickness to cover most sfs. and has pretty good handles for a big. pretty unstoppable offense w cp3 runnin pick n rolls with any1.

Jagged QT
02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Clippers are so dumb...They are trading away their entire team to build around Paul while knowingly forgetting the fact that Paul doesn't have a long term contract with them.. They need to worry about signing Paul instead of trading away great pieces.

Chris Paul aint leaving.

iFYouSeekAmy
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Chris Paul aint leaving.

Any reports that he verbally agreed to stay? it's all speculation until the off-season

RLundi
02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't like the deal at all for the Clips.

Also, I was high on Bledsoe early on but I think he's a little overrated.

Jarvo
02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Wtf that's all it takes to get Millsap!?!? If that's the case every team who needs a PF should be calling the Jazz FO.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Proof?

call it an educated guess. Why would they match starters money, which is almost for sure what he will be offered?

Sactown
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
call it an educated guess. Why would they match starters money, which is almost for sure what he will be offered?

Unless they think he can play a significant amount of minutes a SF, and BG plays more center.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Unless they think he can play a significant amount of minutes a SF, and BG plays more center.

I am talking about Bledsoe. Perhaps they stick with the 2 PG system, ala, CP3/Billups, but I just dont see it

mightybosstone
02-17-2013, 06:09 PM
It's not that unusual to think Millsap could play time at SF or Griffin to slide over to C against smaller lineups. Bottom line, this would make the Clippers a more talented basketball team and they could feasibly retain Millsap with his Bird Rights as long as he didn't get an obscene contract offer.

The real question is, if they're serious about dealing Bledsoe, could they get a better player than Millsap in return? I don't think they can unless a team is willing to overspend based on potential.

Sactown
02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I am talking about Bledsoe. Perhaps they stick with the 2 PG system, ala, CP3/Billups, but I just dont see it

Ah, didnt know Bledsoe was a RFA. Probably a good move to flip him for Milsap then.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't like the deal at all for the Clips.

Also, I was high on Bledsoe early on but I think he's a little overrated.

You say you think Bledsoe is overrated but you don't like the deal at all?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=millspa01&y1=2013&p2=bledser01&y2=2013

Millsap is clearly a more productive player at this point and the Clippers would have more minutes available for him than they will for Bledsoe. Now that Billups is back he can get spot minutes at the 1 or even Jamal Crawford. I think it's the perfect time to flip Bledsoe for a frontcourt upgrade.

I just want to add if you're a title contending team like the Clippers, almost any upgrade that brings you closer to the ring is worth making in my book. I'd always rather 1 ring (with a falloff afterward) in 5 seasons then 5 REALLY CLOSE TO A TITLE seasons.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Because its better than losing him for nothing, you can always trade him later.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 06:25 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=millspa01&y1=2013&p2=bledser01&y2=2013

Millsap is clearly a more productive player at this point and the Clippers would have more minutes available for him than they will for Bledsoe. Now that Billups is back he can get spot minutes at the 1 or even Jamal Crawford. I think it's the perfect time to flip Bledsoe for a frontcourt upgrade.

I just want to add if you're a title contending team like the Clippers, almost any upgrade that brings you closer to the ring is worth making in my book. I'd always rather 1 ring (with a falloff afterward) in 5 seasons then 5 REALLY CLOSE TO A TITLE seasons.
Wish they could expand this trade to include Kanter but thats pipedream stuff. Hopefully they can net one more youngster

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
t's a dumb trade UNLESS we get Alec Burks or Hayward+Millsap for Bledsoe+Odom. Both Odom and Millsap expire this year and I doubt Millsap would return (giving us 10 mill in cap space) so it basically becomes Bledsoe for Burks/Hayward which I've supported for a while.

Plus as already mentioned we would retain bird rights for Millsap, they would for Odom.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Because its better than losing him for nothing, you can always trade him later.

I understand that, but I just don't see why you wouldn't make a move that will bolster you right now up front, and be able to make a real push. Do you really think they would match a Dragic/Lin type offer, just to stash him for trade bait later on?

Hawkeye15
Wish they could expand this trade to include Kanter but thats pipedream stuff. Hopefully they can net one more youngster

or a pick?

Clippersfan86

Man people need to stop saying this. Bledsoe's player option was picked up. We have him for a year and a half before we have to worry about matching. Every non Clippers fan seems to think his contract is up THIS summer but it's NEXT summer. His value continues to climb and if we hold him till next season's deadline or this summer it may actually benefit us.

RLundi
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Yes, I think Bledose is overrated but that doesn't mean I think the Clips should move him for a player that plays the same position as its second-best player. Doesn't make sense. Where would Millsap get minutes? At the 3? I don't like him there either. He's not quick enough to guard opposing 3's. He'd get torched on a defense that's already featuring an undersized, aging Billups at the 2.

Want a front court upgrade? An undersized tweener is not the way to go. Go for a big, a defensive anchor like Garnett.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Man people need to stop saying this. Bledsoe's player option was picked up. We have him for a year and a half before we have to worry about matching. Every non Clippers fan seems to think his contract is up THIS summer but it's NEXT summer. His value continues to climb and if we hold him till next season's deadline or this summer it may actually benefit us.

He isn't a RFA this summer? Meh, changes things for now, though at some point that dude needs a team to run of his own.

birdmann5
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
FYI Hayward is our best player. If you watch every game like we do it's clear. If your looking for a young player to go with the deal your looking at Burks, Kevin Murphey or a draft pick. Favors, Kanter and Hayward are completely off limits unless they are getting a star in return. Milsap is an Amazing player and would definitely benefit the Clippers at the PF position. If you had him Blake Griffins weaknesses as a player would be exposed. Milsap Shots, Rebounds, and plays better D. I'm not saying he is more valuable than Blake. Just at this point in his career he is much more polished. And thats what it will take to beat the Spurs or OKC.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Yes, I think Bledose is overrated but that doesn't mean I think the Clips should move him for a player that plays the same position as its second-best player. Doesn't make sense. Where would Millsap get minutes? At the 3? I don't like him there either. He's not quick enough to guard opposing 3's. He'd get torched on a defense that's already featuring an undersized, aging Billups at the 2.

Want a front court upgrade? An undersized tweener is not the way to go. Go for a big, a defensive anchor like Garnett.

Again you lose me with your logic. Bledsoe plays the same position as your best player. Griffin can play some minutes at C and Millsap can play spot minutes at the 3. If you want to hold out fantasies for Garnett be my guest but when you can get around 30 quality minutes per game out of Millsap for this playoff run I think it'd be a bad move to hold on to Bledsoe.

mightybosstone
02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
FYI Hayward is our best player. If you watch every game like we do it's clear.

Based on what? :confused:

mightybosstone
02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Again you lose me with your logic. Bledsoe plays the same position as your best player. Griffin can play some minutes at C and Millsap can play spot minutes at the 3. If you want to hold out fantasies for Garnett be my guest but when you can get around 30 quality minutes per game out of Millsap for this playoff run I think it'd be a bad move to hold on to Bledsoe.

This. Unless the Clippers can pull off some crazy deal for Pierce, Garnett or another significant veteran presence prior to the trade deadline, Millsap is likely their best bet. They need to do everything they can to make a deep playoff run now, because the further they get in the playoffs, the more likely Paul is to re-sign with the Clippers in the offseason.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I understand that
I dont think you do, other wise how do you make sense of the post where you claim hes gone if we dont get rid of him. Hes gone whenever the right moment arises, that can be this deadline or the next.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
or a pick?
Not a fan of teen picks

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I dont think you do, other wise how do you make sense of the post where you claim hes gone if we dont get rid of him. Hes gone whenever the right moment arises, that can be this deadline or the next.

I am having cpu issues, not logging onto any of the sites where I look at contract status. Is he, or is he not a RFA this summer?

I do understand. If you would like to pay a lot of money for a spot backup to sit on the bench, and use him for trade bait later, I get it.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Not a fan of teen picks

unless you are Morey haha

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
He isn't a RFA this summer? Meh, changes things for now, though at some point that dude needs a team to run of his own.

Nope. RFA after 2013-2014 season.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 07:13 PM

I feel the same way but technically we would be replacing a backup to our best player for a backup of our 2nd best player, so in that sense its still an upgrade.

Also I can see Milsap and Blake playing together. Blake's defense has improved that much and I never thought of Milsap as a liability

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
I feel the same way but technically we would be replacing a backup to our best player for a backup of our 2nd best player, so in that sense its still an upgrade.

Also I can see Milsap and Blake playing together. Blake's defense has improved that much and I never thought of Milsap as a liability

Surprisingly last year Blake played like 30 percent of his minutes at center and put up BETTER stats at center. Not sure if it could be a consistent thing, although strength wise he can easily do it. He can pretty much muscle 99 percent of the guys in the NBA around in the paint.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Surprisingly last year Blake played like 30 percent of his minutes at center and put up BETTER stats at center. Not sure if it could be a consistent thing, although strength wise he can easily do it. He can pretty much muscle 99 percent of the guys in the NBA around in the paint.
Dont see why it wouldn't be, that is suppose to be the payoff. It was just a problem of his defense, and I feel hes improved enough for it not to be much of a problem.

Clippersfan86
02-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Dont see why it wouldn't be, that is suppose to be the payoff. It was just a problem of his defense, and I feel hes improved enough for it not to be much of a problem.

Yea I can see that for sure. As it is teams throw centers at him so it's not like he will get any more fatigued than usual. I think defensively he would actually have it easier too.

NFLNBA
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
IMO this makes the Clipps so much better. Milsap is a beast! Billups is back so Bledsoe is not needed and while Milsap will prob be on another team next year its all about NOW. Milsap wont be happy coming off the bench but the man def puts the Clippers at ELITE with Thunder IF this trade goes down

RLundi
02-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Fantasies? I think you are mistaken, the possibility of getting a Garnett or a defensive stalwart is not a fantasy but a very real possibility. If you think getting an undersized tweener will make the Clips a contender, then by all means continue to believe that. You'll be wrong, but at least you'll have stuck to your guns.

And please show me where I said the Clips should hold on to Bledsoe. I didn't. In fact I said he's overrated. I'm merely suggesting they get a better deal, as they do not need Millsap, especially if he bolts in free agency this summer.

iam brett favre
02-17-2013, 08:03 PM
I like Bledose, but I really hope Utah gets more for Paul.

Mcdoh
02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
good trade for the jazz..

RLundi
02-17-2013, 08:08 PM

That logic makes perfect sense, except I'm not suggesting they hold on to Bledose. I think they could find a better deal. As mentioned, IMO Millsap getting big minutes at the 3 makes little sense. I'm no fan of Butler, Odom is only showing glimpses and Hill is still making his way back, but there seems to be a logjam and I don't think Millsap would be the answer. Even if Millsap's defense is solid, I don't envision a scenario where it helps to have him on the floor guarding Durant, Iggy, etc for a good portion of the game.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Fantasies? I think you are mistaken, the possibility of getting a Garnett or a defensive stalwart is not a fantasy but a very real possibility. If you think getting an undersized tweener will make the Clips a contender, then by all means continue to believe that. You'll be wrong, but at least you'll have stuck to your guns.

And please show me where I said the Clips should hold on to Bledsoe. I didn't. In fact I said he's overrated. I'm merely suggesting they get a better deal, as they do not need Millsap, especially if he bolts in free agency this summer.

No. I think the Clippers are contenders already and this trade makes them better. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

rockbottom2010
02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
where are they going to play millsap....it doesn't make sense......you have butler and griffin eating up alot of minutes...unless they want butler coming off the bench....

Vinylman
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
good trade for the jazz..

not really... one year in Salt Lake City and Bledsoe will be ready to kill someone

talk about a fish out of water YIKES!

Chronz
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
That logic makes perfect sense, except I'm not suggesting they hold on to Bledose. I think they could find a better deal. As mentioned, IMO Millsap getting big minutes at the 3 makes little sense. I'm no fan of Butler, Odom is only showing glimpses and Hill is still making his way back, but there seems to be a logjam and I don't think Millsap would be the answer. Even if Millsap's defense is solid, I don't envision a scenario where it helps to have him on the floor guarding Durant, Iggy, etc for a good portion of the game.
Im not going to pretend like I wouldn't want more for Bledsoe. And I agree on Milsap not being an ideal 3-man, nor do I see why he would need to considering our abundance of swings and lack of bigs.

--23--
02-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I think this would be a good trade for the Clippers, Millsap can ball and this gives them a very solid backup to Griffin. With the lack of true centers in the league today they could easily get away with playing a Millsap/Griffin(PF/C) front court, which will be very effective.

RLundi
02-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Im not going to pretend like I wouldn't want more for Bledsoe. And I agree on Milsap not being an ideal 3-man, nor do I see why he would need to considering our abundance of swings and lack of bigs.

If the idea is to pair him with Griffin as a C-PF combo then I can see it being more plausible. But I still wouldn't think anyone would be remotely intimidated by that front line. For all of DJ's shortcomings, I'd imagine players think twice about taking it inside on him. I'm sure Griffin has improved defensively (nowhere to go but up from flopping) but him and a 6-8 Millsap being the only barriers between player and hoop don't exactly impel confidence, in me anyway.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is an awful deal, because front court help is a necessity. I'd just imagine there are better deals to be had, and at least take it to the wee hours of the deadline before considering pulling the trigger.

RLundi
02-17-2013, 10:30 PM
No. I think the Clippers are contenders already and this trade makes them better. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

I don't disagree on that aspect. Sure it makes them better but I think they can come to a better deal. Sounds like you're absolutely sold on Millsap, and I think it's short-sighted. Make this deal in the final moments of the trade deadline but the Clips should do their due diligence and TRY to find a better deal that better suits their needs.

And I prefer disagreeing on agreeing :)

sventhedog
02-18-2013, 09:14 AM
good trade for the jazz since they address their logjam at the forward/center position.

but the clips would lose their best perimeter defender making them rely on caron butler.

millsap will also be a one-year rental and he will be a bigman who doesn't complement griffin. both of them would be undersized bigmen who can't block shots. so this would mean you can't play them together for long, which further reduces millsap's minutes. which will guarantee the clips won't be his 1st choice at the off-season.