PDA

View Full Version : Houston does not deserve another allstar weekend

EvanTurner
02-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Is it just me or has the houstin arena been the most lifeless arena youve witnessed during allstar weekend? They didnt give the ballers any electric energy at all! Very very dry weekend in houston, im very disappointed. It was almost like listening to a practice. No energy no life!

They dont deserve another

KniCks4LiFe
02-17-2013, 04:38 AM
It's Houston's fault the allstar players underperformed?

GunFactor187
02-17-2013, 04:48 AM
So...in other words...you're thinking..."Houston, we have a problem?"

http://stickerish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ISeeWhatYouDidThereBlackSS.png

ACanadian
02-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Toronto or OKC comes to mind, T.O fans are LOUD, especially if pizza is on the line

EvanTurner
02-17-2013, 05:17 AM
It's Houston's fault the allstar players underperformed?

Um dude there was a few fantastic dunks and the crowd was just sleep! Houston made the all star weekend borung!

Ebbs
02-17-2013, 05:33 AM
Good dunk comp I thought

rockbottom2010
02-17-2013, 06:41 AM
they don't deserve it....they had it in 2006...and i don't get how new orleans are having it again.....other cities need more opportunties like brooklyn, new york, miami, detroit..etc

KniCks4LiFe
02-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Um dude there was a few fantastic dunks and the crowd was just sleep! Houston made the all star weekend borung!

they saw the dunk attempt like 14 times. There were 35 missed dunks during that competition, what did you want them to do? At some point it's embarrassing to cheer that. :facepalm:

First the musical acts sucked and I say that as a New Yorker, Philip Phlipps really? don't even get me started w/ the first act. The mics were crappy, the props wore out the crowd, Nick Cannon was ****ing annoying. But the biggest thing is how bad the players performed.

The D-League dunk contest was better. RSC game sucked, 3 pt. contest had some buzz, the NBA slam dunk was pretty much garbage. I wouldn't cheer that **** either.

Rndy
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
The all star weekend has been garbage for the most part. HOU fans aren't to blame for it but they haven't really done much to help a lot of empty seats the last few days.

KniCks4LiFe
02-17-2013, 07:13 AM
The all star weekend has been garbage for the most part. HOU fans aren't to blame for it but they haven't really done much to help a lot of empty seats the last few days.

simple question, and here's where it's going to lead to. You're a Bulls fan I presume. Imagine the dunk contest in United Center and the field consist of Damian James, Louis Amundson, Jeff Green and Terrance Ross. Are you getting hyped for that? are you cheering that? I'll answer it for you. No b/c they aren't stars. This ain't MJ vs Dominique, this was the 15th guy in the bench vs the 6th man to 9th. It's the equivalent of acting like your gf is a supermodel chick when she's really average or very plain looking.

EvanTurner
02-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey knicks fan woul you shut up please? Your making no sense at all. It aint about the names its about the dunks, I dont care how many times a difficult dunk was. Some of them were amazing and the fans were just flatout weak. So stop defending them boy. They dont deserve another all star weekend period.

onlythisfar41
02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Hey knicks fan woul you shut up please? Your making no sense at all. It aint about the names its about the dunks, I dont care how many times a difficult dunk was. Some of them were amazing and the fans were just flatout weak. So stop defending them boy. They dont deserve another all star weekend period.

The fans werent great but come on, that was a really ****** boring dunk contest.

IndyRealist
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM

I'm in Houston and I can tell you they did a horrible job promoting ticket sales in Houston. The only reason I knew about it at all was because I'm on a mailing list. There wasn't even a sale for All-star Saturday Night or the All-Star game, just for the Celebrity game and Rising Stars. All those tickets apparently went to corporate types and ticket brokers, who kept prices ridiculously high, thus the empty seats.

72 Wins
02-17-2013, 10:22 AM
It blows my mind that Houston has had 3 all-star games under their belt while other cities have had only 1 or none.

yaswaggin
02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
It blows my mind that Houston has had 3 all-star games under their belt while other cities have had only 1 or none.

Yeah I don't get it, Houston is a nice city and all, but it would be so much better in NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, etc

detzfish
02-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Was it really that bad? I didn't watch at all. Went to a few things last year in Orlando. It was alright but I'm sure la and New York are better options. Would love it to go to Detroit

waveycrockett
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM

Probably because Stern is scared out of his mind what NBA players will get into with Allstar weekend im major cities too often.

kntresistheheat
02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
The owners and city place bids to bring the Allstar game to their city. In 2015 both New York teams sent in their bids and apps. Yes. The fans are lifeless in Houston.

mightybosstone
02-17-2013, 11:26 AM
As someone who has lived in the Houston area most of his life, I do think the city does a good job of attracting events like this and catering to the needs of huge groups of people. The problem with the NBA All-Star Game being hosted in Houston this year is that Comcast Sports Net is showing Rockets games instead of Fox Sports, so the majority of sports fans in the city can't even watch the Rockets, therefore turning the NBA into a niche sport. It also doesn't help that the team hasn't made the playoffs in four years.

But unfortunately it is primarily a football city and the fans are very fair weather when it comes to their non-football teams. The Astros are awful right now, so attendance is down and nobody cares. But when the Rockets and Astros start to consistently make the playoffs again, people will give a ****. As a Rockets fan and a huge NBA fan, it's infuriating.

Tmath
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
The crowd was truly pathetic.

nycericanguy
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
whats wrong with Phillip Phillips?

Il Mago50
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Toronto needs to get an all-star game ASAP

king4day
02-17-2013, 12:04 PM
I nearly fell asleep many times during it. It wasn't a good representation for the NBA. Not Houston's fault.
With the dunk contest, you need to hit on your first dunk. Otherwise the surprise and shock factor is gone.

pd1dish
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Toronto or OKC comes to mind, T.O fans are LOUD, especially if pizza is on the line

thats what i heard about Denver, but with tacos

pd1dish
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I nearly fell asleep many times during it. It wasn't a good representation for the NBA. Not Houston's fault.
With the dunk contest, you need to hit on your first dunk. Otherwise the surprise and shock factor is gone.

i agree that something needs to be dont about the dunk contest. the old rules were much better where you only get 2 misses to complete your dunk. the 2 minute rule is bad because you could attempt a dunk 10 times in 2 minutes. not to mention the fact that the judges are supposed to disregard the misses and rate the dunk itself. for me, misses should absolutely destroy your score.

onlythisfar41
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM

Exactly. I would rather watch a slightly less difficult or gimmicky dunk that gets slammed down on the first try, as opposed to something that is attempted 10 times before getting slammed down. By the time it finally gets converted you feel embarrassed watching it. I miss the old format of like 2 attempts and thats it. It puts a lot more emphasis on doing something you can convert therefore leading to better contests.

Obviously it goes without saying that until we get some name brand players participating in the dunk contest it will continue to be snoozefest. The last one I remember enjoying was the first of Dwight vs Robinson contests a few years back. Man what I would give to go back to the days of the Vince Carter competitions.

Il Mago50
02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
The weekend was horrible.

The rookie game needs to go back to rookies-sophomores and there needs to be something put into place that makes it more exciting, whether monetary, bonus, MVP of game getting 100,000 votes towards next year's ASG as individual, etc.

The 3-point shootout is what it is, if you're bored don't watch, I love watching a jump shot.

The dunk contest either needs to pull names or go away for a half decade or so until we start to miss it since if we're being honest with ourselves, it's been **** the last 6-7 years. All they've done is brought in props and nothing more.

Dwight put on a superman cap then just took off and dunked it. Nate Robinson had a few impressive things but not enough to win three titles with all the attempts he had that took away from the dunks themselves. Fred Jones' year was garbage. Blake Griffin jumped over the hood of the car parked right under the basket which is basically just him dunking regularly with his feet tucked as usual but the shortest part of a car happen to be there. Last year was awful and this year flopped excluding a couple of Ross' dunks.

If the trend continues, we'll have someone play the Harlem Shake music and crumping after the dunk, someone jumping over the either Van Gundy coaching family, Bieber throwing someone an alleyoop, etc.

The dunks themselves if anything, save for a few impressive ones by Derozen, Igoudala and a few others, have really gone down a peg. I'm tired of people falling for the same **** we've seen for so long but masked in a different retro jersey, assistant or prop, the dunk contest is about physical fluidity, coordination and pure athleticism and it's really not doing it justice anymore.

nycericanguy
02-17-2013, 12:28 PM
it seems just about any COMPLETED dunk gets a really high score too.

Even average dunks were getting 8 & 9's... and alot of 10's. 10's should be for an AMAZING dunk.

and yea the 2 minute rule is dumb and embarrassing, should be 3 tries and thats it. I stopped watching due to second hand embarrassment.

all those "shooting stars" and even skills challenge are dumb too... its not a skills challenge, its just luck who wins it.

only good thing left is the 3 pt shootout.

go back to the 3 tries on dunks, keep the 3pt shootout, and add a 1 & 1 competition.

but i guess the problem is todays stars don't want to do any of it... the old stars did dunk contests and we even had Hakeem facing off against Shaq 1 on 1, though it never happened, they were willing.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
They were dead quiet from the beginning and 50% of the seats were still unseated.

D-Leethal
I would have left before the dunk contest even started. I don't even blame the fans, it would be embarassing to cheer that joke of an event. It was a complete flop from top to bottom. I think the NBA deserves more blame. If you can't get the fans into it, theres something wrong with the product. Make it more exciting and the fans will follow.

The fans aren't what makes an event exciting. If it sucks it sucks. You have to give them a reason to get wild for them to actually get wild.

ManRam
The bigger problem is that the events are just so stupid that no one cares any more. Houston probably shouldn't get another one any time soon, but this thing isn't gonna be much fun anywhere. It needs some MAJOR overhaul.

I tried to watch everything so far, and lasted a few minutes on each. Between the stupidity of the events, the horrible announcing and the poor casts (mainly for the dunk contest) it's just a stupid event.

sep11ie
Evan Turner didn't deserve to be drafted so high.

YoungOne
02-17-2013, 12:40 PM
allstar weekend just needs an overhaul..

tr3ymill3r
02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
What was there to get excited about? LeBron, Kobe, Dwight and Blake could have been in the dunk contest and had they missed as many dunks as the others guys did it would have been just as quiet. The most exciting was when Steph Curry went off in the 3 point contest and only missed 1 shot through 3 racks. It also doesn't help that a majority of the guys were hyped based on Youtube and we didn't see anything special. They should still have the NBA All Star game, but the NBA portion should be removed from the dunk contest and open it up to Team Flight Brothers to find 6 guys to participate. If guys aren't going to participate that we actually want to see then get guys that we will remember, nobody is going to remember this dunk contest, and to those who think it's one of the best, was this your first time to watch Saturday night?

houstonfan
02-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Coming from a huge Houston fan who was there... It was horrible. The place was only half full for the shooting thing and the skills challenge. Started to fill up when the 3 point contest started but nobody cheered for anything until the dunk contest. Hell when they announced the players from the gold medal team it was silent even when James Harden was announced. Even when Jeremy Lin was being inteoduced the place was dead. But my least favorite part was that whenever they announced members of our armed forces only about a third of the crowd gave them a standing ovation which is just embarrassing. All in all Houston fans are not very good. They show up late and leave early and only really get loud when the Rockets play a good team. I have seen the Rockets play about 10 games this year and the building was wayyyyyyy more intense when playing NYK or LAL.

tr3ymill3r
02-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Keep in mind a lot of times at these events, the real fans are not there for they cannot afford the high priced tickets. A majority of the people that are there are strictly there because it's an event and want to try to meet celebrities and have pipe dreams about going out afterwards and rubbing elbows with LeBron and Melo and somehow becoming a part of their entourage. People are thirsty, I live in Houston and made the mistake of going to the Galleria and both girls and guys were following NBA players and sometimes just tall black guys around looking for autographs and hoping to get that baby mamma check.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Keep in mind a lot of times at these events, the real fans are not there for they cannot afford the high priced tickets. A majority of the people that are there are strictly there because it's an event and want to try to meet celebrities and have pipe dreams about going out afterwards and rubbing elbows with LeBron and Melo and somehow becoming a part of their entourage. People are thirsty, I live in Houston and made the mistake of going to the Galleria and both girls and guys were following NBA players and sometimes just tall black guys around looking for autographs and hoping to get that baby mamma check.

That's wrong... It was packed later on which means fans are just wannabe NBA fans who show up at the best and leave. No passion from the NBA fans. It doesn't hurt that the event was pure trash since the selections were horrible, but if the fans made some noise, it wouldn't have been awkward and dull.

ManRam
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
What's there to cheer for though?

I couldn't get excited for most of that **** if tried.

houstonfan
02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
What's there to cheer for though?

I couldn't get excited for most of that **** if tried.

I agree with that kind of. How can you not get excited for your hometown guys though? Lin and Harden deserved to have that place go crazy for them in my opinion

houstonfan
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
And also the music was atrocious and nick cannon was terrible so I do think that it was bad planning by whoever makes those decisions

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 01:19 PM
they don't deserve it....they had it in 2006...and i don't get how new orleans are having it again.....other cities need more opportunties like brooklyn, new york, miami, detroit..etc

A lot of cities don't want to bother. The NBA comes in, takes over, takes all the profits, etc. The only benefit is the visiting people to the local economy. Many cities simply don't want to bother with dealing with the NBA and all the mess that comes with it.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
As someone who has lived in the Houston area most of his life, I do think the city does a good job of attracting events like this and catering to the needs of huge groups of people. The problem with the NBA All-Star Game being hosted in Houston this year is that Comcast Sports Net is showing Rockets games instead of Fox Sports, so the majority of sports fans in the city can't even watch the Rockets, therefore turning the NBA into a niche sport. It also doesn't help that the team hasn't made the playoffs in four years.

But unfortunately it is primarily a football city and the fans are very fair weather when it comes to their non-football teams. The Astros are awful right now, so attendance is down and nobody cares. But when the Rockets and Astros start to consistently make the playoffs again, people will give a ****. As a Rockets fan and a huge NBA fan, it's infuriating.

It doesn't help that 60% of Houston doesn't have comcast, which is the only cable provider you can watch the Rockets on. People are becoming whatever to the Rockets in Houston

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Yep. The NBA comes in, takes over, and sells season ticket holders seats to corporations and celebrities at multiple times the cost of the seat. Again, the NBA owns the all star weekend, and many cities simply don't care to deal with it, which is why it always seems to be in the same cities.

astrosmaniac
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
It was ridiculously expensive and the friday and saturday night stuff were ****. why would you get excited if you just got ripped off

Mr_Jones
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM

I love Canadians

mjt20mik
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Mainly cause the guys missed a lot.

Losoway
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
it cost more alot for the nba to go to bigger cities to host allstar events

but this houston crowd was terrible. im sorry i dont care if i seen 45 missed dunks im gonna be screaming cheering the players on. this was one of the worst allstar games i seen in all 28 years of my life

rocky4104
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
how do they pick the city for the All Star weekend?

OceanSpray
It's coming to NY in 2015. Hopefully we can save this damn event!

Jarvo
Miami should have an All Star game here dammit

OceanSpray
how do they pick the city for the All Star weekend?

By votes like the Olympics.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Miami should have an All Star game here dammit

Man, are you kidding? Miami native fans are all clueless NBA "fans". I went to a game once and they just sit there not even knowing anything.

Sadds The Gr8
02-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Cant believe how god awful that crowd was. I was hoping it was the TNT audio that was draining the crowd noise on on the tv broadcasts so you can hear the commentary better but I was wrong.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Man, are you kidding? Miami native fans are all clueless NBA "fans". I went to a game once and they just sit there not even knowing anything.

You are still missing it. The "fans" who attend all star weekend are not the season ticket holders, and most not the cities fans. Those are overpaid, corporate bought tickets, so many there don't even care about basketball. Do you have any clue how expensive it is to go? Its unreal. No real fan is paying that **** to see a guy who plays 3 minutes a game brick 30 dunks.

mdm692
02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
PHX needs another all star weekend. I think they did a great job with the block party and all kinds of FREE events for the fans and as well as great opportunities to meet players, legends and analyst. The game and events were not half bad either.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
You are still missing it. The "fans" who attend all star weekend are not the season ticket holders, and most not the cities fans. Those are overpaid, corporate bought tickets, so many there don't even care about basketball. Do you have any clue how expensive it is to go? Its unreal. No real fan is paying that **** to see a guy who plays 3 minutes a game brick 30 dunks.

Where are you getting this from? I went to a Heat game and the fans are dead drool. Not all the tickets are corporate bought for celebrities. No real fan... That's exactly it, there are no real fans 70% of the time.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Where are you getting this from? I went to a Heat game and the fans are dead drool. Not all the tickets are corporate bought for celebrities. No real fan... That's exactly it, there are no real fans 70% of the time.

I am not speaking of the Heat games, I mean as far as all star weekend. I mean, the Lakers stadium is supposedly the same on the lower levels. The real fans have to sit in the upper deck, because nobody can outspend corporations and celebrities.

Htownballa1622
02-17-2013, 03:06 PM

This. I'm a student but i also work at a law firm and all our high execs had Tix yet they don't even know the Rockets starting lineup.

I purchased a 14 game rocket plan but im not spending $500 a ticket to see what we saw yesterday.

sunsfan88
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I agree, the Houston crowd was absolutely pathetic. I think San Antonio or Dallas could have probably done better.

Man, when they had in Phoenix a few years back, it was freaking AMAZING and much, MUCH better.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I am not speaking of the Heat games, I mean as far as all star weekend. I mean, the Lakers stadium is supposedly the same on the lower levels. The real fans have to sit in the upper deck, because nobody can outspend corporations and celebrities.

Yes, but if you saw the game, half the seats weren't even seated until the midway of three point contest. If it was in NY, the fans would be much more energetic. Corporate seats aren't 1/20th of the arena. Judging by the event, the only people even excited were the corporate seat holders. At least they got out of their seats and cheered.
I'm not talking about the corporate seats. I couldn't even afford to spend my money on that. I'm talking about the fans who I was sitting next to and not knowing what a charge was.

hidalgo
02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
that crowd was pathetic, & that's putting it mildly...

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, but if you saw the game, half the seats weren't even seated until the midway of three point contest. If it was in NY, the fans would be much more energetic. Corporate seats aren't 1/20th of the arena. Judging by the event, the only people even excited were the corporate seat holders. At least they got out of their seats and cheered.
I'm not talking about the corporate seats. I couldn't even afford to spend my money on that. I'm talking about the fans who I was sitting next to and not knowing what a charge was.

NY has a ton more people and money. Of course it would draw a lot more interest.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
This. I'm a student but i also work at a law firm and all our high execs had Tix yet they don't even know the Rockets starting lineup.

I purchased a 14 game rocket plan but im not spending $500 a ticket to see what we saw yesterday.

Rox aren't my team, but I hit 6-7 games a year. The crowds have been **** for 3-4 years now. That's what happens when you finish 9th in the west every year, then flip the roster every summer. People stop being able to identify with any of the players, since they are basically seen as "chips" by their GM. Not saying Morey isn't an excellent GM, but the rebuilding process, along with the Texans becoming good, have made the Rox irrelevant.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 03:16 PM
NY has a ton more people and money. Of course it would draw a lot more interest.

Which proves that it's the location and Houston shouldn't have one for a while. Man, it was awkward as hell watching the fans sit there silently.

Htownballa1622
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Rox aren't my team, but I hit 6-7 games a year. The crowds have been **** for 3-4 years now. That's what happens when you finish 9th in the west every year, then flip the roster every summer. People stop being able to identify with any of the players, since they are basically seen as "chips" by their GM. Not saying Morey isn't an excellent GM, but the rebuilding process, along with the Texans becoming good, have made the Rox irrelevant.

True. Plus more than half the city can't watch because of the Comcast deal.

You're right about the fans though. The most exciting games i went to was the lakers game recently and the warriors game where we chanted one more three.

The rest have been quiet.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Which proves that it's the location and Houston shouldn't have one for a while. Man, it was awkward as hell watching the fans sit there silently.

basketball is dead in this city right now. Poor timing is all.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2013, 03:20 PM
True. Plus more than half the city can't watch because of the Comcast deal.

You're right about the fans though. The most exciting games i went to was the lakers game recently and the warriors game where we chanted one more three.

The rest have been quiet.

Anytime I go to a Lakers game, I see more Kobe jerseys than I do Rockets jerseys.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
basketball is dead in this city right now. Poor timing is all.

Very true. Good thing it's coming to NY in two years. I might finally think about spending my money on it.

Giannis94
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
If you give it to Milwaukee I can guarantee that it will be one of the loudest ever.....gun shots and all!

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
If you give it to Milwaukee I can guarantee that it will be one of the loudest ever.....gun shots and all!

Or we can move it to Detroit and have Ron Artest participate.

72 Wins
02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Players are probably not complaining as Houston has one of the highest amount of strip clubs per capita.

KniCks4LiFe
02-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Some of them were amazing? They MISSED 35 DUNKS! and it was 90 secs until they made ONE!

The names have nothing to do w/ it? The fact they aren't great finishers had nothing to do w/ it?

LeBron, Blake Griffin, head that event no one leaves their seat. Especially if corporate tykes are buying the ticket! They ain't sitting down to watch some nobodies missing dunk after dunk. The internet world knows who James White is, half of Houston could give 2 *****! Some people know Gerald Green, more people know he ain't a star. Jeremy Evans? NOBODY CARES! and then oh Faried b/c EVERYBODY KNOWS HIM:facepalm: Terrance Ross? NOBODY KNOWS THEM! NOBODY CARED. It was a bathroom break like event.

Just like nobody cares about Evan Turner.

Now stop freaking embarrassing yourself even more than you already have. In time the All Star game will come to Philly and NY but if you have no names we ain't cheering ****.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Some of them were amazing? They MISSED 35 DUNKS! and it was 90 secs until they made ONE!

The names have nothing to do w/ it? The fact they aren't great finishers had nothing to do w/ it?

LeBron, Blake Griffin, head that event no one leaves their seat. Especially if corporate tykes are buying the ticket! They ain't sitting down to watch some nobodies missing dunk after dunk. The internet world knows who James White is, half of Houston could give 2 *****! Some people know Gerald Green, more people know he ain't a star. Jeremy Evans? NOBODY CARES! and then oh Faried b/c EVERYBODY KNOWS HIM:facepalm: Terrance Ross? NOBODY KNOWS THEM! NOBODY CARED. It was a bathroom break like event.

Now stop freaking embarrassing yourself even more than you already have. In time the All Star game will come to Philly and NY but if you have no names we ain't cheering ****.

Very true. I'd rather watch LeBron James practice than that crappy event.

iFYouSeekAmy
02-17-2013, 05:23 PM

agree. It's all geared towards the casual fans and ones who can afford the tickets. They only care about the big names. they don't know nor would they give two-**** about a bench player in Utah.

The arena had no life and was awkwardly silent throughout the whole night.

LOOTERX9
02-17-2013, 05:31 PM
crowds can be dull in some cities but i don't blame them for this allstar weekend, there were no stars in the main competitions to get excited about. saturday was more like the D LEAGUE all star weekend

EvanTurner
02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
see what I mean. Look at tonight during the introductions, those fans are just npt into this **** at all. They didnt even cheer hard for harden! These fans are dry! Pathetic energy. period

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Did you guys see how there were like 10 people on the front of the stage? Most of them were girls who probably got lost looking for the Justin Bieber concert...

Raps18-19 Champ
02-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Those people aren't actual basketball fans. They are just people who have money and pay to attend for the hell of it.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I think the only way you're actually going to get excitement out of this is if you only allow players that are in the Rising Stars and ASG participate in the Saturday night competitions.

mjt20mik
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't know if its the stadium, but its so quiet right now

shen
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Portland is hosting Phil Night tournament with minimum 16 NCAA schools November 2017. I would like to see February 2018 the All-Star weekend be there. People in Portland love basketball, we have the largest capacity of any Western Conference arena, not my opinion it is an established fact. We have over 26,000 hotel rooms all well within an hour of the RG and MC. I know many people will point out the rain but it is not like it is a down pour, it is a light misty type rain most of the time. Lots of malls and shopping all well within an hour of RG and MC thanks to the Max.

IndyRealist
02-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Those people aren't actual basketball fans. They are just people who have money and pay to attend for the hell of it.

This. There's a ton of money in Houston, because of the oil industry. People go to things like the all-star game just because the tickets are expensive.

And that's part of why Houston's had the ASG 3 times, because there's money here. It's the 3rd or 4th largest metro population in the country, yet doesn't have the same NBA following that the Knicks, Lakers, and Bulls have. There's a significant amount of cash for the NBA to tap if they can get people interested.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
The All Stars game in my backyard would be more exciting

Verbal Christ
02-18-2013, 12:05 AM
someone's mad. houston has the night clubs, restaurants, cultural venues that makes it a no brainer why its on the 'all star circuit'. add to that it is the strip club capital of the country and you have a deserving locale.

put more exciting names in the 3 point and dunk contest and the crowds will sit down and watch. eliminate that stupid skills thing which just wastes time. back in the day all the superstars wanted to participate in these things, almost like another notch in the belt, nowadays these guys would rather just cheer someone else on.

top it off the game is ****ing boring.

sunsfan88
02-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Even in the All Star game when there was nice epic things happenings (Kyrie drive to rim, Blake dunk off backboard, Kobe block LeBron, CP3 scoring over Noah, CP3 nice passes) the crowd was barely cheering at all.

I want it to be in Miami, Portland or OKC next. Those fans are loud and go crazy!

sventhedog
02-18-2013, 03:59 AM
the fans probably weren't happy jeremy lin wasn't in the allstar game.

Tmath
02-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Even in the All Star game when there was nice epic things happenings (Kyrie drive to rim, Blake dunk off backboard, Kobe block LeBron, CP3 scoring over Noah, CP3 nice passes) the crowd was barely cheering at all.

I want it to be in Miami, Portland or OKC next. Those fans are loud and go crazy!

:eyebrow:

sunsfan88
02-18-2013, 04:13 AM
:eyebrow:

Their fans are pretty damn loud.

Its probably a lot of bandwagoners but their home games are still pretty damn loud.

EvanTurner
02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
miami fans dont get loud untill the 4th quarter beca iyts e they dont arrive.till the 3rd

BALLER R
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
[

That's even worst.

BALLER R
02-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Bring the All star game to Toronto

Big Zo
02-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Bring the All star game to Toronto

Canada ruins everything.

JiffyMix88
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Canada ruins everything.

dam canadians

jon32
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
New York in 2015 will be good.......Toronto is bidding for the 2016 which would be amazing, after that it should be Brooklyn, Portland, OKC and Seattle if they get a team

mjt20mik
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Canada ruins everything.

haters gonna hate

BlakkCo
02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
The city was fired up this weekend...Hope Houston get another bid in the next couple years....Galleria probably was more packed than Saturdays event but when was the last good one worth watching all the way through?

shen
02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
New York in 2015 will be good.......Toronto is bidding for the 2016 which would be amazing, after that it should be Brooklyn, Portland, OKC and Seattle if they get a team

November 2017 Portland will have an NCAA tournament involving many of the best teams in nation celebrating Phil Knight. I would like the February 2018 ASW in Portland.

shen
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Dear David,

Thank you for contacting the National Basketball Association with your request to bring NBA All-Star to Portland.

Typically, individual NBA teams work with their home city to submit bids for hosting NBA All-Star. From there, the league considers numerous factors – from available hotel space to condition of local facilities to average weather conditions, among many others – in choosing the location that will provide our fans with an ideal All-Star experience.

We understand your passion for your city and will be mindful of your comments and suggestions as we plan future NBA All-Star events.

Sincerely,

Brittany
NBA Fan Relations

I have also sent in messages to Paul Allen and am looking up numbers of city council members.

Snakeyestx
02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm in Houston and I can tell you they did a horrible job promoting ticket sales in Houston. The only reason I knew about it at all was because I'm on a mailing list. There wasn't even a sale for All-star Saturday Night or the All-Star game, just for the Celebrity game and Rising Stars. All those tickets apparently went to corporate types and ticket brokers, who kept prices ridiculously high, thus the empty seats.

I didn't help at all that the cheapest seats were $388 bucks and only the lower bowl was offered.

SoFreshNsoClean
02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
canada ruins everything.

qft

goku
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
i live in houston most people were worried about partying in the clubs with all the stars and Allstar weekend has been irrelevent for yrs there was really nothing to cheer about

this also more of a football town especially with the rockets and astros being bad the last couple of yrs

CluTcH_c1tY
02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I guess its a bad time to tell you guys that Houston is a strong candidate to host the 2017 Super Bowl. Houston offers a lot of things that most small cities can't, that is why they receive so many events. In the end which ever organization is looking for a setting to host their event, the most potential money maker usually wins.

FOBolous
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
to be fair...the all-star games are kindof lame. the slam dunk contest is dumb...so many misses and no creativity. all they do is jump over things now. the all-star game itself is stupid. the players don't try. they just mess around. if the players themselves don't care, why should the fans?

but yeea...most people in Houston don't want it anymore anyways. yall should see the kind of people the NBA all-star games brings out. my friend described it best on his facebook status:

It was like the whole 3rd ward was in that *****. Everybody and they baby mama was trynna holla at a ***** lol but no lie these *****es thirsty af with barely any clothes on chasing these "stars" (Webbie and scrappy ain't nobody) wanted to just turn around and punch a ***** in the face tho

3rd ward is one of the ghetto-est most run down neighborhood in Houston. and it's fine if those girls were hot but they're not...they're overweight, cellulose covered girls with ugly attitudes who have too much "swag" for their own good.

and another one of my friend described the general attitude of relief when it was finally over:

Now that the all star pimp, prostitue, stripper, and wanna be rapper weekend is over, we can go back to our regularly scheduled lives.

and before you call me racist, both of my friends are black.

cuttydoesit6
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
at first I thought this was straight up trolling...but after the as game last night I gotta agree with you...

Houston was deaddd, barely even cheered for their own player harden when he was introduced.

Vancity
02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Their fans are pretty damn loud.

Its probably a lot of bandwagoners but their home games are still pretty damn loud.

In the 4th Q when people finally arrive. miami fans support errr show up for winners.

Kinglorious
02-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Even before all the missed dunks, when the players were first being introduced to the crowd, I literally did not hear any cheering. The PA would say the name and the dude's would just wave to the crowd and get next to no reaction. Then again, the sound was terrible so maybe it didn't pick up the crowd noise. But I also read that there was a lot of empty seats and that is just unacceptable, I'm sorry. Bigger names could've helped though, but still.

And I don't understand why the NBA is going back to cities that are only a few years removed from hosting the ASW.

Houston: 2006 and 2013
New Orleans: 2008 and 2014

I think it's time to give some other cities a chance, like Toronto in 2016. :pray:

jam
02-19-2013, 03:41 AM
The Houston fans just suck a-- in general. They just don't like basketball. I take that back; they may like basketball, but no one in that damn city LOVES basketball. Attendance has always been mediocre, and many of those who buy tickets no-show. Those who show often leave early. Early meaning during half time, not early meaning there are two minutes left in the fourth quarter of a blow-out game. Houston is a large and wealthy market, so it will likely always have an nba team, but the fans suck.

sharqstealth
02-19-2013, 04:04 AM
They must've corrupted the money funded for the ASG.

Mightythor26
02-19-2013, 04:40 AM
The All-star game should be spread around a little more. Give all the cites a chance.

c.c.
02-19-2013, 05:48 AM
it cost more alot for the nba to go to bigger cities to host allstar events

but this houston crowd was terrible. im sorry i dont care if i seen 45 missed dunks im gonna be screaming cheering the players on. this was one of the worst allstar games i seen in all 28 years of my life

Its only 3 cities bigger than Houston.
1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Philadelphia

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 05:54 AM
it should be in madison square garden or staples...thats it

Kinglorious
02-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Its only 4 cities bigger than Houston.
1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Toronto
5. Houston
6. Philadelphia

I get you, but fixed.

Eagles710
02-20-2013, 04:28 AM
i agree with the poster, houston crowd was nothing at all.

Asik's better
02-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Can not agree more, what a amazing all star weekend. How could the crowd not get excited by that slam dunk contest. I mean each player only stuffed up their dunks multiple times. That has to be one of the greatest dunk contests ever. And how could the crowd not be pumped up during introductions even after Ne-Yo's amazing performence, I think he hit 20% of his notes. That's a fair effort performing live. And finally they had Nick Cannon all Weekend. What an amazing person he is. Can not say one bad word about him. What a talented person he is.

WickedBadMan
02-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Blame the NBA, they should have made it affordable enough to pack the place, was like 1/3 filled.

LongWayFromHome
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM

The game has to be in a somewhat warm climate because of the party weekend. Obviously Miami is warm.