PDA

View Full Version : International Players And The All-Star Game

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2013, 09:53 PM
There was a few years back when the NHL adopted a different format for the All-Star game and had the European players play the North American players. I don't think the NBA has enough European talent playing at an All-Star level to warrant that, but I do think it would be interesting to see the NBA do something to include European players and increase international exposure.

Perhaps the league can simply invite Europe's best players (from the European leagues) to compete against each other, or European stars to compete against the players from the Rookie/Sophomore game, or even European players from the NBA against European players from Euro leagues. Perhaps the NBA can even host an All-Star game IN Europe!

I think it would be great down the line to have the European All-Stars play American All-Stars, but in the mean time I think it would be great to try and include some international flavour in the league.

Thoughts? And please, any other ideas about improving the All-Star weekend out side of international suggestions are welcome.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 09:59 PM
well, the NBA is still very dominated by american born, african-american players. It would be a beat down most the time right now, but I could see it down the line. The NHL has a huge percentage of players from Europe, the NBA is just not there yet.

LAKobeBryant
02-16-2013, 10:02 PM
It be a blow out USA win just like Olympics

mdm692
02-16-2013, 10:38 PM
NBA's European players vs Euro league players.

Agar81
02-16-2013, 10:57 PM
It be a blow out USA win just like Olympics Not sure what you're alluding to. Spain plays very competitively against them, and nearly won twice.

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Not sure what you're alluding to. Spain plays very competitively against them, and nearly won twice.

Doubt it'll happen again since the Gasol bros aren't as dominating.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2013, 11:13 PM

yeah, the last two finals were a blow out :rolleyes:

JasonJohnHorn
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM

You gotta remember that guys like Ibaka and Hordford are technically considered international players, and for that matter, Duncan can be included as an international player as well. Considering that the Spurs have as many championships as they have with three international players are their core (Duncan, Manu and Parker), I don't think it's fair to suggest it would be a blow out.

But I'm not suggesting the league do this now... just that it is something to consider down the line. What I would like to see is some Euroleague players invited to the All-Star weekend to compete with the rookie/sophomore team, or perhaps play against international players already in the NBA.

b@llhog24
02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
If they went against the rookies then sure, would be fun.

NoahH
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
No

kvrnm
02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
the european players play with alot of pride. they would definetly make the americans earn it. would be more competitive ball game for sure.maybe not as close, but competitive