PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Barkley, Hakeem and Pippen work as a trio?

rocketfuel
02-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Why did this trio not pan out?

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Too old and too late.

hidalgo
02-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Too old and too late.

yea, pretty much

i think the first year in Houston 1997 was Barkley's best chance(after PHX in 93), him, drex & hakeem. they were actaully really good, they had a shot at making the finals

the Jazz were just whoopin everyone out west back then, Shaq & Kobe's Lakers everytime as well. Karl Malbags wasn't havin it

Chronz
02-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Short answer, because they didn't run the triangle.
Long answer:
Aside from the obvious age/injury factor, its because they grew to hate each other, also because they got abused by Stockton, their PG spot was a problem for them.

I know Pippen was declining from back problems but I remember people saying he couldn't fit into an offense where he just fed 2 post players and rarely got to post up himself.

rocketfuel
02-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Could this have worked if they were younger?....or is it just this combination of players? or is it because of Barkley's deficiencies?

Chronz
02-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Could this have worked if they were younger?....or is it just this combination of players? or is it because of Barkley's deficiencies?

Just curious, why do you feel it was Barkley's doing?

Cromedome
02-16-2013, 03:50 AM
Barkley was old and injured.

Hakeem was old.

Pippen was getting old.

rocketfuel
02-16-2013, 03:52 AM
Just curious, why do you feel it was Barkley's doing?

The other two have rings. Plus, I never cared for Barkley's defense.

GREATNESS ONE
02-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Everyone pretty much nailed it.... Age.

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2013, 04:29 AM
It would have been nice to see Drexler hang on for one more year: Hakeem, Pippen, Drexler and Barkley? Hakeem and Drexler would have been 36, Barkley 35 and Pippen 33. Barkley and Hakeem were still 20/10 players, and Pippen was a great facilitator. That was the strike shortened season, and Barkley and Hakeem were both older than Duncan and Robinson who were both in their prime, although it was the Lakers they lost to in the playoffs, but Shaq was playing some of his best ball then as well.

I think it was a matter of coaching and chemistry and lack of depth more so than age, because they were still playing at a high level then.

It would have been great to see those three play in their prime together though, especially if you throw in Drexler.

Shlumpledink
02-16-2013, 04:48 AM
They were too old. Barkley said it himself, they're too old. Olajuwon was hitting his decline, and it was a hard decline. Barkley was getting fatter and less athletic. Pippen was still pretty good though, but he wasn't featured. They traded away a lot of their best assets to assemble that team so they weren't very deep.

That team from 1996-1997 was a basket away from taking the jazz to a game 7 at home (if i recall correctly) I remember practicing that shot that drexler missed over and over again. The Rockets were my team, and Olajuwon is my favorite player.

LakersMaster24
02-16-2013, 04:57 AM
LOL. Too old. Getting burned by PGs. No depth.

Lakers anyone?

Guppyfighter
02-16-2013, 07:02 AM
LOL. Too old. Getting burned by PGs. No depth.

Lakers anyone?

Yes.

PHX2daDEATH
02-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Hakeem was 4 years from his peak... Barkley was too.. Pippen probably hated Barkley from the start, they were rumored to be traded for one another for more then half of Barkley's stay in Phoenix ( I remember i was pissed when barkley WASNT traded for Pippen in 96) and that irked Pip..Scottie did pretty good in Portland though so he wasn't declining ..

blahblahyoutoo
02-16-2013, 11:21 AM
cuz pippen is the most overrated 50 greatest players.

waveycrockett
02-16-2013, 11:28 AM
That was the first year that Barkley came in absolutely awful shape. Pippen being overrated is ridiculous. He looked real overrated leading the Bulls to 55 wins when MJ was playing baseball.

Chronz
02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Hakeem was 4 years from his peak... Barkley was too.. Pippen probably hated Barkley from the start, they were rumored to be traded for one another for more then half of Barkley's stay in Phoenix ( I remember i was pissed when barkley WASNT traded for Pippen in 96) and that irked Pip..Scottie did pretty good in Portland though so he wasn't declining ..
Pretty good? Maybe alil better but for the most part his stats remained the same.