PDA

View Full Version : Triangle offense made Kobe and Jordan champions. But Can they win in other systems?

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Kobe and Jordan both played in jackon's Triangle offense and won but in other system's their team's struggled. Which got me thinking today that great wing scorers such as Melo, T-Mac, V carter may have won a title if they played in the Triangle offense too. Lets face it , MJ and Kobe could not win any titles while not playing the Triangle offense. They were great scorers but without the structure of the triangle offense they never won. Look at jordan's team before phil jackson and look at kobe without phil jackson's triangle both their teams struggled while MJ and kobe had monster games. I think jordan and the jordan clone type players can only be successful in the triangle offense as far as winning titles.. ofcourse they would still be great players but their team success will be lacking. so I think it's the triangle that only works for these jordan clone type ball dominant high scoring players when it comes to championships.

b@llhog24
02-16-2013, 01:17 AM
If you're an all time great, I'd like to think of you as more than a "system player." You SHOULD play to your best players strengths, you don't see Tim Duncan shooting 3's all over the place. Why? Because he was a dominant post player. So yes MJ and (to a lesser extent) Kobe could win in variety of systems.

shep33
02-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Absolutely. Watching the Lakers, really the Triangle broke down half the time and it became a Kobe iso. He was just so good at it that he bailed us out.

hidalgo
02-16-2013, 01:37 AM
i think Jordan could have won in another system for sure. he's Michael Jordan. it just happened how it happened

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Absolutely. Watching the Lakers, really the Triangle broke down half the time and it became a Kobe iso. He was just so good at it that he bailed us out.

yeah but the triangle was still the base of the offense. could kobe win in a mike brown or Rudy T type offense. we know he can't in a dantoni type offense, melo couldn't either. Brian shaw would have been best hire for lakers after phil cause he knows the triangle. I would love to see melo play in the triangle and see how he does.

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 01:50 AM
i think Jordan could have won in another system for sure. he's Michael Jordan. it just happened how it happened

he would have taken a lot of shots though, I think he would make playoffs without the triangle for sure but as far as titles, i'm not too sure bout that. Players like jordan and kobe need some type of structure to stop them from freelancing out there on the court. And the triangle controlled mj somewhat in a good way. MJ still freelanced but atleast not for entire games

hidalgo
02-16-2013, 01:58 AM
he would have taken a lot of shots though, I think he would make playoffs without the triangle for sure but as far as titles, i'm not too sure bout that. Players like jordan and kobe need some type of structure to stop them from freelancing out there on the court. And the triangle controlled mj somewhat in a good way. MJ still freelanced but atleast not for entire gameswe'll never know obviosuly, but i do think MJ could have won titles under a different system

Hitman 3:16
02-16-2013, 02:03 AM
I don't think it's the triangle system (in basketball terms) as what it signified. The Triangle offense was/is a symphony, and it was predicated upon ball movement and player movement, and it helped both players in Jordan and Bryant to understand the essence of sharing the ball, having each of the 5 guys on the floor responsible and held accountable for running the offense, and getting the offensive-minded gurus that were Jordan and Bryant to use their weapons and arsenal in the team framework.

Having Phil Jackson and Tex Winter keeping the egos of those 2 players in check is what helped catapult both of these greats to multiple NBA titles.

So it's moreso of what the triangle signified as a team unity concept and the only 2 guys who could get both Jordan and Bryant to buy in.

So in that essence, no, I don't think either of those 2 guys would be as successful in other systems as the #1 option (since they are so ball dominant and high volume shooters).

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 02:57 AM
I don't think it's the triangle system (in basketball terms) as what it signified. The Triangle offense was/is a symphony, and it was predicated upon ball movement and player movement, and it helped both players in Jordan and Bryant to understand the essence of sharing the ball, having each of the 5 guys on the floor responsible and held accountable for running the offense, and getting the offensive-minded gurus that were Jordan and Bryant to use their weapons and arsenal in the team framework.

Having Phil Jackson and Tex Winter keeping the egos of those 2 players in check is what helped catapult both of these greats to multiple NBA titles.

So it's moreso of what the triangle signified as a team unity concept and the only 2 guys who could get both Jordan and Bryant to buy in.

So in that essence, no, I don't think either of those 2 guys would be as successful in other systems as the #1 option (since they are so ball dominant and high volume shooters).

And i agree with you. The triangle forced jordan and kobe to play controlled somewhat. without it they always freelanced and their teams became mediocre

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2013, 04:35 AM
This is an excellent question. I think most people will just say: Jordan is Jordan. But the triangle really help him excel. How many other guys who lead the league in scoring also won championships those seasons that they lead the league in scoring? I think you will find that the guys who lead the league in scoring, generally do not win a championship. Doug Collins was a great coach, I think unjustly fired, but even he, with Jordan playing perhaps the best all-around basketball of his career, saw them lose to the Pistons year after year. It wasn't until the triangle was in place that the Bulls won. Now, the Bulls winning also had to do with Pippen and Grant reaching their prime and younger guys like Armstrong stepping up, but would Jordan have been able to win with a different system?

I think the Kobe/Shaq Lakers would have won regardless of the system, but Jackson manged egos very well back then. Shaq was just so dominant. It's hard to imagine him not winning it all with the Lakers. But Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom... they are great on paper, but the triangle really suited that roster.

I think they both win without the triangle, but not as much.

NFLNBA
02-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Would the triangle offense ever have a ring without MJ and Kobe!? I mean they were not only team running it lol A lot of teams ran a version of it and as far as i know no other tea won a ring with it. So maybe best question is would either MJ or Kobe have a ring without Phil Jackson?

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Would the triangle offense ever have a ring without MJ and Kobe!? I mean they were not only team running it lol A lot of teams ran a version of it and as far as i know no other tea won a ring with it. So maybe best question is would either MJ or Kobe have a ring without Phil Jackson?

Well i think if you put T Mac, and prime v carter in the jackson triangle offense they would have won a title as well