PDA

View Full Version : Whats more important when defending a post player - Strength or Length?

Chronz
02-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Someone on another board brought up the fact that the Heat actually get away with putting Wade on Durant every now and again. The idea that such a small player had any hope of defending a sweet shooter like Durant was foreign to him. Why doesn't he just post Wade up was the question.

But the truth is, some of the best post defenders have been guys of small build, as Chuck Hayes can attest, there is real value in having a low center of gravity and strength to back it up. But is it more important than length?

Do you think its more important to deny positions of comfort to a post player, or is it more important to have someone who can challenge those comfort spots?

For comparisons sake, would you rather have a guy like Chuck Hayes defend your post player or a guy like Rasheed Wallace?

HYFR
02-16-2013, 12:14 AM
I would go with a guy like sheed to defend the post but I could see why others would like a guy like Hayes or even world peace who can just muscle you out of your comfort zone. IMO posting up is more about creating a rhythm for an offensive player and if the defender can take him off his spots that is key. With that said I would like length more just so guys can't just shoot over you with ease.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 12:20 AM
totally dependent on who you are guarding. Remember how much Hayes pissed of a rookie Griffin? Or, you see length defending player like Shved shutting down Deron and Irving late in my personal world.

It totally depends on the matchup.

kdspurman
02-16-2013, 12:24 AM
I'd take length. Rasheed for example was one of the best big man defenders in his prime. Length + BBIQ equal a nightmare for opposing big men.

Of course it depends on who you're guarding. But more times than not, I'd take the Sheed type of defender

b@llhog24
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Strength, although Sheed is a better defender than Hayes.

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Depends on who you are guarding. If they are stronger than you, length comes into mind such as Hakeem. If they are longer than you, strength might be the best bet.

Chronz
02-16-2013, 01:48 AM
I'd take length. Rasheed for example was one of the best big man defenders in his prime. Length + BBIQ equal a nightmare for opposing big men.

Of course it depends on who you're guarding. But more times than not, I'd take the Sheed type of defender
So true, prolly best to cite specific examples

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Pau can't score on Hayes, Millsap, or Carl Landry. He has half a foot on those guys but they defend him well.

Kobe eats up smaller players in the post.

One of the better post players that never got credit was Kwame. He was not short but he had a big lower base with thick legs.

IndyRealist
02-16-2013, 02:53 AM
I generally find that length is better for weakside help defense, while strength is generally better for one on one, post up D. While there are obviously exceptions, prolific shot blockers aren't usually the best post defenders, but they keep other people from getting into the lane. If your man can just back you down under the rim and lay it up, it doesn't matter how long you are.

I don't watch a lot of OKC, but I don't recall Durant posting up that much. It seems like a real hole in his game considering he's a hair under 7'. Regardless he should just be able to shoot over Wade all night.

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 02:56 AM
I generally find that length is better for weakside help defense, while strength is generally better for one on one, post up D. While there are obviously exceptions, prolific shot blockers aren't usually the best post defenders, but they keep other people from getting into the lane. If your man can just back you down under the rim and lay it up, it doesn't matter how long you are.

I don't watch a lot of OKC, but I don't recall Durant posting up that much. It seems like a real hole in his game considering he's a hair under 7'. Regardless he should just be able to shoot over Wade all night.

Very hard to post up when you're all bones.

kdspurman
02-16-2013, 11:48 AM
So true, prolly best to cite specific examples

I've always loved Sheed as a defender cause he would give fits to guys like Duncan and KG but was also versatile enough to go out and guard someone like Dirk too and do it well.

We don't have many guys at the 4 spot like we did with say a Charles Oakley, but he was someone you could throw on 4's and 5's cause he was strong as hell. So like putting a guy like Oak on Dirk might not have been as successful

DumDum
02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Strength by mile Kevin durant getting man handled down low is proof

JEDean89
02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
i dunno faried is really strong but he's not a good post defender. i think think length matters more then closer you get to the basket. faried is short for PF at generously 6'8" and gets killed by two types of PF's, perimeter dirk nowitzki, chris bosh, kevin garnett type players and really long tall PF's like Pau, Duncan, Randolph. I think if you have really good BBIQ you can learn to overcome the height problem but's all about not letting your man get the ball close to the basket. hayes does a good job of ball denial if his man is in the paint.

strength is obviously a major component too and there are a lot of players in this league that could benefit from a few pounds, (PF's and C's mainly). Still Anthony Davis is a good defender as a twiggy rookie in the nba. a really, really good post defender is one who is long and big with good basketball iq. i think you can make up for not having one of those if your really good at 2 of the others.

lakers4sho
02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
With shooters, these guys are so used with the motions that an arm's length on their faces isn't going to bother them as much as placing them on weird spots on the floor where they're are uncomfortable. Once they get their groove going, length won't be too much of a distraction.

Artest actually bothered durant during 2010/2011 when he was still a basketball player. Didn't stop him, but prevented him from getting to his sweet spots and thus making them hoist more difficult (relatively speaking) shots.

Same with Pau. Guys like hayes and landry refuse to give Pau good position. But he actually scores well against centers like Howard or even Yao when he was still playing.