PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you were this dead wrong about a team?

Chronz
02-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Trying not to make more Laker threads but its a question inspired by their tribulations.

Most of us had them pegged as contenders, and even tho they have NEVER been healthy, its fair to say we expected much more from them.

Whats the last team you had high hopes for, only to watch them crash and burn? And I hope to not see contenders who didn't win, but perceived contenders who didn't even come close.

Or you could mention teams you thought would be crap only to be pretty respectable.

I remember thinking the Sonics would suck the year they won 50 with Ray Allen, shooters and a bunch of offensive rebounders.

kozelkid
02-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Two recent teams come to mind, neither of which were of the magnitude that is LA.

Philly in 08-09 after they got Brand along with a nice young core of Young and Iggy (although I suppose that's mostly a case of Brand sucking than the team as a whole) and my Bulls in 07-08 after the 06-07 season where I didn't realize til later was a case of them overachieving...

GREATNESS ONE
02-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Not trying to toot my own horn but I've rarely been wrong but Man oh man I was soooo wrong about this Lakers team being a contender :sigh:

Chucky Woods
02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Lakers fan here and I thought they would start out rough maybe for the 1st quarter of the season. But never have I thought this.

ThuglifeJ
02-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Im always right about the teams to come out with the highest seeds.

I honestly thought the Lakers were going to be the best team assembled in quite some time. I thought they'd be winning games by the end of the 3rd quarter. I knew Nash would be less effective in LA vs Phoenix but I didn't think it'd be anywhere this bad

Lakers + Giants
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
This season's lakers. . . :sigh:

also, I thought the rockets would be horrible with asik and line. Funny how that's the team we're chasing :(

b@llhog24
02-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Dallas in 2011 comes to mind.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Thought the Bulls would be a bottom 8 team this year.

IKnowHoops
02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
People are naming teams that were better than they thought, the lakers were worse than we thought, and if they miss the playoffs they are the biggest dissapointment in history. I had them finishing 2 behind OKC. Ive never been anywhere close to this wrong about a team. I think next would be the year the cavs got Antwan Jamison and I thought they would win the ring.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Plz stop talking about the Lakers. Looking for similar comps of teams you have been wrong about, not the exact team I mentioned inspiring this thread.

ManRam
02-15-2013, 11:58 PM
I vividly remember saying how Nash/Kobe/Pau/Dwight were the best possible compliments you could find for a
PG/SG/PF/C. I've probably never been more wrong in my life.

Disappoints:

2004 Lakers
2007 Mavs

Eagles710
02-16-2013, 12:05 AM
i honestly thought they had a chance at 73-9 lol ... i could not see how they would be able to lose, it was pretty impressive, it took them all playing together to suck this bad lol

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 12:05 AM
2004-05 Wolves. I thought we would just march into the playoffs and roll.

Yeah...

Sadds The Gr8
02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
this year I thought the Rockets were gonna be a bottom 5 team even with Harden.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-16-2013, 02:02 AM
This season's lakers. . . :sigh:

also, I thought the rockets would be horrible with asik and line. Funny how that's the team we're chasing :(

As Lawler would say....Bingo! I felt bad for the Rockets. Now who pitys who.

But to be honest, I have NEVER been so interested in the regular season. I'm even watching other teams to cheer against them. I have never done that. I never cared when the Lakers lost a season game. Now it bothers me all day. Its kinda fun.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-16-2013, 02:07 AM
I thought the Bulls were a lottery team when MJ retired. Was wrong about that.

I thought that the Rockets would have much more success with TMac and Yao

Cal827
02-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Just like everyone else, I thought the Lakers would Dominate this season. Nash-Kobe-Metta-Gasol-Howard just looked unfair on paper. The fact that they are on the outside looking in at a playoff spot this late, is amazing to me.

I thought the Raptors were gonna go far when they acquired Jermaine O'neal. Thought Bosh-O'neal would give us the best front in the weak east, leading to at least to the Conference Finals. :facepalm: