PDA

View Full Version : Will the aura of Michael Jordan always keep him above everyone else forever?

NYC
02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Michael Jordan is turning 50. It's kind of hard to believe, but at the same time, the aura around him is astounding.

I've come to believe, while Jordan's skills far surpass anyone in history, that even if another player were to come and statistically surpass him, if LeBron James won eight titles, seven MVPs, I think Jordan's aura will always keep him in a league above everyone else.

It's ten years later after Jordan's career ended, fifteen after the shot in Utah, but yet everyone still talks about him like he played yesterday.

The brand he built, what he contributed to the NBA in the late 80s and 90s will never be duplicated. He made the NBA into his image and no one will ever forget. He's still on television, in breathtaking, nostalgic commercials. He did commercials titled, 'Maybe' and 'Let Your Game Speak', that were pretty much a culmination of his career.

Never before in sports do you have someone have so many 'signature moments'. The shoulder shrug, the double pump against the Lakers in the 1991 Finals, the tongue, the shot in Utah and the fist pump in Cleveland. Iconic moments that really, no other sports player in history is really known for. Fifteen-year-olds know and talk about Jordan like they saw him play.

Jordan made over $60 million last year, he still has the highest selling shoe in the market. It's come to the point that I think it's comical when ESPN or Yahoo Sports or any other news outlet tries to compare LeBron or Kobe to Jordan, because they will never be on this stratosphere with Jordan in terms of marketability & popularity. Eight years after his career ended, 2K made a video game about him.

Jordan's an icon and it's silly to think that anyone will ever be able to surpass his aura, because it's untouchable. No matter how many streaks LeBron or Kobe go on, we are still here, 10 years later, talking about Michael Jordan.

That is unprecedented for any sports figure in the history of our world.

jakey
02-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Michael Jordan is turning 50. It's kind of hard to believe, but at the same time, the aura around him is astounding.

I've come to believe, while Jordan's skills far surpass anyone in history, that even if another player were to come and statistically surpass him, if LeBron James won eight titles, seven MVPs, I think Jordan's aura will always keep him in a league above everyone else.

It's ten years later after Jordan's career ended, fifteen after the shot in Utah, but yet everyone still talks about him like he played yesterday.

The brand he built, what he contributed to the NBA in the late 80s and 90s will never be duplicated. He made the NBA into his image and no one will ever forget. He's still on television, in breathtaking, nostalgic commercials. He did commercials titled, 'Maybe' and 'Let Your Game Speak', that were pretty much a culmination of his career.

Never before in sports do you have someone have so many 'signature moments'. The shoulder shrug, the double pump against the Lakers in the 1991 Finals, the tongue, the shot in Utah and the fist pump in Cleveland. Iconic moments that really, no other sports player in history is really known for.

Jordan's an icon and it's silly to think that anyone will ever be able to surpass his aura, because it's untouchable. No matter how many streaks LeBron or Kobe go on, we are still here, 10 years later, talking about Michael Jordan.

He had the perfect career. He didn't win all the time (impossible too really) but he was such a big time player and he is the most marketable athlete of all time imo.

It's hard to get rid of that. I live in England, and the amount of Jordan shoes i see in my college and even when i used to work in Footlocker is amazing especially when Basketball is not huge in this country.

He had/is the total package.

Lebron and Kobe may win more rings than him, but they don't come close to having the influence that he had around the world.

COOLbeans
02-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Who knows. Nobody can predict the future. But as of right now Jordan is the GOAT and deservedly so.

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 01:14 AM
It's not the aura.. He's the Babe Ruth of basketball. He revolutionized the sport and that's why he's known as the greatest.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Wht you call "aura" is called the BIGGEst marketing campaign ever designed.

And it will be very difficult to surpass it.

Im not even sure if Jordan got Busted Lance Armstrong style if his " aura" would go down.

b@llhog24
02-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Yes, Magic has it too.

hidalgo
02-16-2013, 01:28 AM
i think someday, someone will surpass him basketball wise(Michael himself believes this), & the public will know it when they see it, & except it. that player just isn't here yet.

but i'm not sure if that player can have the impact MJ had. he was like the Beatles, an icon.

heyman321
02-16-2013, 01:36 AM
i think someday, someone will surpass him basketball wise(Michael himself believes this), & the public will know it when they see it, & except it. that player just isn't here yet.

but i'm not sure if that player can have the impact MJ had. he was like the Beatles, an icon.

His name is Lebron James (possibly).

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 01:55 AM
well jordan is like babe ruth in the sense that the op. is talking. Lebron will be like Hank Aron or willie mays. but Jordan will be Babe Ruth

MJ = Babe Ruth
KOBE = Mickey Mantle
Lebron= Willie Mays

NYC
02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
The icon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxcunGc_nA

DaBUU
02-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Im not even sure if Jordan got Busted Lance Armstrong style if his " aura" would go down.

Like you'd know

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Never before in sports do you have someone have so many 'signature moments'. The shoulder shrug, the double pump against the Lakers in the 1991 Finals, the tongue, the shot in Utah and the fist pump in Cleveland. Iconic moments that really, no other sports player in history is really known for. Fifteen-year-olds know and talk about Jordan like they saw him play.

Jordan made over $60 million last year, he still has the highest selling shoe in the market. It's come to the point that I think it's comical when ESPN or Yahoo Sports or any other news outlet tries to compare LeBron or Kobe to Jordan, because they will never be on this stratosphere with Jordan in terms of marketability & popularity. Eight years after his career ended, 2K made a video game about him.

Nope! Lebron>>>Jordan

Slug3
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Anyone remember Jordan's bad gambling problem? I even know there is a conspiracy theroy out there that his gblibg was the reason he retired that first time.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Anyone remember Jordan's bad gambling problem? I even know there is a conspiracy theroy out there that his gblibg was the reason he retired that first time.

Yup.

Lebron>>>Jordan

Slug3
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Yup.

Lebron>>>Jordan

Lol I'm not trying to say lebron over Jordan.

PatriotsGirl
02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
It's not the aura.. He's the Babe Ruth of basketball. He revolutionized the sport and that's why he's known as the greatest.

I would agree with you on that for sure. It's doubtful anyone could even come close - he's the archetype of basketball legend!

BULLSFAN0810
02-18-2013, 04:11 AM

if you mean by marketing campaign ..he dominated everyone and threw it their face...yeah he was quite the marketeer. There has been no one as competitve as jordan. thats the diffrence..and the closet is Kobe as seen by his shut down of James in the allstar game.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2013, 04:30 AM
if you mean by marketing campaign ..he dominated everyone and threw it their face...yeah he was quite the marketeer. There has been no one as competitve as jordan. thats the diffrence..and the closet is Kobe as seen by his shut down of James in the allstar game.

no, marketing campaign means marketing campaign, for 15 years you couldnt open a ****ing box of cereals withouth it having a card from mj, you would turn any sports station and the ywould repeat joradns lastet cluthch shot for some ours, you wout hear the radio and they were talking bout what mj had dinnered that night and if it made him fart.
you couldnt scape from his stupid face in ANY country in the planet.

rocky4104
02-18-2013, 05:34 AM
his life story is what defined him, no other player, i mean, no one! can ever beat MJ in terms of drama. besides being a great basketball player and competitor, it's his 'legend' that created this aura:

cut in the basketball team when he was in high school;

made the game-winning shot in college;

picked number #3 in the draft;

started his career as a purely offensive machine, made the All-Stars as a rookie and shunned by his teammates (most notably Thomas) who refused to give him the ball during the AllStar game;

guided the Bulls to the top of the eastern conference only to lose to the 'Bad Boys' of Detroit ( who devised a strategy, 'Jordan Rules' designed specifically to stop him) every time;

started training with Tim Grover in order to bulk up so he can match up physically against the Pistons (Piston's John Salley in one of his interviews mentioned how surprised they were when MJ started fighting back) and eventually overcoming the Pistons all the way to his first ring;

started trusting his teammates leading to three consecutive titles (MVP in all three);

his father killed, MJ retiring, played semi-pro baseball;

with the 2 words "I'm Back" his legend continues;

lost to the Orlando Magic in the eastern finals;

worked hard in the offseason, donned #23 once more and led the Chicago Bulls to 3 titles, once again MVP in all three, his last ring? won by stealing the ball away from Malone of the Jazz and hitting the game winning shot for his sixth title;

retired and came back once more, unsuccessfully this time, but highlighted by one game wherein he scored 43 points at age 40;

oh, and don't forget he teamed up with Bugs Bunny and saved the world from destruction :D

bagwell368
02-18-2013, 06:30 AM
well jordan is like babe ruth in the sense that the op. is talking. Lebron will be like Hank Aron or willie mays. but Jordan will be Babe Ruth

MJ = Babe Ruth
KOBE = Mickey Mantle
Lebron= Willie Mays

The NBA was stale, full of druggies (mostly coke), and going sideways. Bird and Magic saved basketball, they are the Mantle and Mays of the sport. Jordan is the Bonds w/o the taint and crappy personality.

Do not lose sight of how the conditions that Russell and Jordan had allowed for a big ring haul: best team, best Coach, weak league w/o a true competitor team or two at the same level year in and year out helped those Championships grow. If Jordan came 6 years earlier, he doesn't have six rings courtesy of Bird and Magic. If Russell is drafted by the Pistons in his time, he likely has 0 rings.

lakers4sho
02-18-2013, 06:49 AM

Two words: Sonny Vaccaro

AIRMAR72
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
if you mean by marketing campaign ..he dominated everyone and threw it their face...yeah he was quite the marketeer. There has been no one as competitve as jordan. thats the diffrence..and the closet is Kobe as seen by his shut down of James in the allstar game.look man the ONLY thing kobe closet to jordan with is that KOBE mirror jordan game style jordan personilty you name IT kobe copied it from jordan in kobe early yrs(afro version) kobe used to TRY to walk like JORDAN do jordan antics chew is gum like jordan stick his tonque out you name it all the killer bullcrap nonsense is FAKE Ive said on PSD in THE PAST kobe read it all in a book(jordan rules) and watch hrs of videos footage of jordan its not real dude is FAKE

Hawkeye15
02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
He might be surpassed as a player, but his impact to the game, and the degree of marketing him that was shoved down everyone on the plantets throats will never be equalled imo.

pacofunk64
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Michael was the first of his kind...unless someone comes in and wins 10 titles, averages 40ppg, then it will be very hard to pass him. He changed the game on and off the court. He's the Babe Ruth of basketball.

LA4life24/8
02-19-2013, 12:05 AM
i still believe hes the most talented all around player the game has seen, no i dont think lebron is better, nor kobe, nor durant, nor magic, nor anyone else yet...

lets say lebron is jordans size, 6'6 220, is he still as dominant in the post that jordan was? not likely, is he as good as rebounder as he is right now? not likely, hes probably still a better assist man than jordan, but thats probably it

lebron has superior size, not skill or talent, durant is the same way, without his height/length is durant nearly as effective as he is now? not likely, esp since hes soo scrawny

kobes obviously tried to mirror his game off of jordan and therefore would never be better than jordan even if he avged more points per game and got more ships

LA4life24/8
02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
he has an aura because he created it, jordan was cocky in your face, but he backed it up EVERY TIME, he never lost in the finals... and dont give me he had a better team or the league was weaker, because i dont buy either of that crap, the game was much much more physical back then, and i dont know if lebron could have handled the beating mentally as jordan did

LA4life24/8
02-19-2013, 12:10 AM
jordan may be surpassed as a player, but never as an icon, and not by kobe, lebron, or durant... kobe is done (basically) this is lebrons peak ( not better than jordan), and durant will never dominate both sides of the ball like jordan and arguably lebron and kobe could

spurs4#5
02-19-2013, 12:28 AM
i remember hearing someone talking about lebron and kobe coming to jordans level...what they were saying is that even if they got as many titles as jordan and were able to be dominate on both sides of the ball and be able to produce in big games that that wouldnt get them close to jordan that would only get them at the same table of jordan...i think this is the best ive heard it explained as to jordans legacy...but ill take it one step further...that gets them to jordans table but bill is at his own table by himself above everyone else

Tony_Starks
02-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Depends on your age and perspective. There are those that witnessed the NBA on the brink of destruction and saw how Magic and Bird saved the league that put them above everyone else. Then you also have some that say Kareem had the most unstoppable shot in basketball and that will never be repeated. Then for the youngbucks that never saw him play he's almost like a myth and they think basketball literally began with MJ.....

I do agree because of the brand that he built though it does make him "untouchable"
in the eyes of many though...

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 03:42 AM
yeah its human nature to believe in something like jordan. he wasnt as great as ppl make him out to be.. still the best ever though

Supreme LA
02-19-2013, 03:44 AM
look man the ONLY thing kobe closet to jordan with is that KOBE mirror jordan game style jordan personilty you name IT kobe copied it from jordan in kobe early yrs(afro version) kobe used to TRY to walk like JORDAN do jordan antics chew is gum like jordan stick his tonque out you name it all the killer bullcrap nonsense is FAKE Ive said on PSD in THE PAST kobe read it all in a book(jordan rules) and watch hrs of videos footage of jordan its not real dude is FAKE

Wow. I can't believe you edited this post without any punctuation?? LMAO!!!

TrueFan420
02-19-2013, 03:46 AM
short answer yes... he was the first player to really transcend the sport and become an icon.

J4KOP99
02-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Let's get one thing straight:

The brand did not make him, he made the brand. This whole "marketing campaign" discussion seems a bit ridiculous. If he wasn't who he was and as dominant as he was, there is no marketing campaign (at least not one as powerful or with the vast reach that the one we saw had).

Some of you are making it seem like Nike could do this with any athlete they wanted to use. There's a reason he was "shoved down our throats"

-Michael was the most dominant player and personality this new-age-media world has seen.

--Are some of you trying to say that he is, in some ways, overrated because of the media attention he received?

---As for the OP:
Like all things, he will eventually pass (not completely) with time. Although, because of the internet, he will stay around much longer than other past greats but as people get older and his fans start to die out, there will be someone new. It's the cycle of life.

J4KOP99
02-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Another thing that must be noted is how lucky Michael was in terms of his timing. Magic and Bird had really brought the game of basketball back (as we all know) and with them gone, the fans AND the media were waiting for the next big thing. Lucky for them (and michael), they got the BIGGEST thing imaginable.

24/7 sports channels were starting to get big, technology was becoming more and more advanced, and game gaining in popularity. Michael took advantage of it all.

But having said all of this, I still don't think you can say that MJ was "overrated." He got some luck along the way, but he was made for this opportunity and was smart enough to take advantage of it.

jam
02-19-2013, 05:06 AM
There will NEVER be another Michael Jordan. We will never see the totally unprecedented combination of freaky athleticism along with a completely remorseless, sociopathic obsession with winning.

There was a commentator this weekend who said that Michael Jordan was once so upset with the play of Horace Grant that Jordan spent an entire plane trip talking sh-- to Horace's face about how horribly he played. The taunting got to the point where Jordan told the stewardess to take Horace's meal tray away from him, saying Horace didn't deserve to eat, because he stunk so bad.

Michael Jordan is a sick f'in' human being, but that's what made him the greatest competitor of all time.

I'm sure that story is just the tip of the iceberg.

jam
02-19-2013, 05:08 AM
The historical circumstances of his entry into the league surely made him more marketable, but does nothing to explain how completely twisted and one-dimensional of a person Jordan was and is.

There is absolutely no benchmark for his level of competitiveness. He's simply cut from a different cloth and there's not much point in hoping for a duplication of his sick, fanatical obsession with winning.

Another thing that must be noted is how lucky Michael was in terms of his timing. Magic and Bird had really brought the game of basketball back (as we all know) and with them gone, the fans AND the media were waiting for the next big thing. Lucky for them (and michael), they got the BIGGEST thing imaginable.

24/7 sports channels were starting to get big, technology was becoming more and more advanced, and game gaining in popularity. Michael took advantage of it all.

But having said all of this, I still don't think you can say that MJ was "overrated." He got some luck along the way, but he was made for this opportunity and was smart enough to take advantage of it.

LeperMessiah
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Yep. His incredible success as a player meshed with a time where globalization went to new heights- you ask can't for a better combination to cement your image forever.

PrettyBoyJ
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Eventually somebody will come and surpass Jordan in stats and maybe championships but No one has the credentials in this era to do so. What makes Jordan so special is not only was he celebrated and marketed well his game backed up all the praise. Magic & Bird revolutionized the game but Jordan took it to another level becoming a global icon.

Tmath
02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
MJ was the greatest competitor of all time, and he had the skill to match it. Thats what made him the greatest of all time, and thats what will separate him to LeBron James.

LeperMessiah
02-19-2013, 02:39 PM
The historical circumstances of his entry into the league surely made him more marketable, but does nothing to explain how completely twisted and one-dimensional of a person Jordan was and is.

There is absolutely no benchmark for his level of competitiveness. He's simply cut from a different cloth and there's not much point in hoping for a duplication of his sick, fanatical obsession with winning.

Um that kind of obsession still exists with many, many players. Michael Jordan had a lot of talent to back it up.

SINCESTARBURY25
02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
I think Durant could be better than Jordan but nobody will let him be or ever admit it.

PrettyBoyJ
02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I think Durant could be better than Jordan but nobody will let him be or ever admit it.

He may score more points than Jordan but will never be better.. Durant right now is not the complete player Jordan was.

AIRMAR72
02-19-2013, 06:40 PM

MJ = Babe Ruth
KOBE = Mickey Mantle
Lebron= Willie MaysI disagree jordan is BIGGER compare to any known athlete ALI is the only other person that I could think of were every culture on EARTH know who he IS if you go to the congo's in africa where they have NO TV and show the jumpman(tri-star)symbol they KNOW who it is Ive been wenting for 22yrs to see someone close are better than and sadly I havent all I saw is IMITATIONS,COLLECTION of wanna be trying their hardest to duplicate the BLUEPRINT(Micheal Jeffrey Air Jordan)

AIRMAR72
02-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Wow. I can't believe you edited this post without any punctuation?? LMAO!!!

so what

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Jodan will forver **** on Lebron. Idgaf how many titles he wins. Ive seen both players and Lebron just doesnt compare

mc_9
02-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Durant may reach the heights of Jordan's scoring ability, however its is unlikely as he hasn't come close yet.

He will never be the defensive player that Jordan was. Jordan was one of the best ever defensive guards the game has seen. 1 x Defensive player of the year, and 9 x All Defensive team.

Durant isn't even in the conversation yet.

Getting UGGLA
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
aura? No just his talent.

Silent
02-19-2013, 11:26 PM
MJ will always be number 1 Magic said it Charles said it

LeperMessiah
02-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Durant may reach the heights of Jordan's scoring ability, however its is unlikely as he hasn't come close yet.

He will never be the defensive player that Jordan was. Jordan was one of the best ever defensive guards the game has seen. 1 x Defensive player of the year, and 9 x All Defensive team.

Durant isn't even in the conversation yet.

Because of that, Durant is not good defensively?

jammastershake
02-20-2013, 05:08 AM

Actually you're wrong, and it's happening before out eyes, and ESPN is out front of this campaign. The fact that people are already comparing LBJ to MJ tells me that he will be pushed down our throats in 10 years as the greatest.