PDA

View Full Version : Jordan: Only stars that could be successful in my era is Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, Dirk

LTBaByyy
02-15-2013, 07:09 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=dallasmavericks&id=4694373

Itís Jordanís short list of current stars who could be nearly as successful in his era: LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan Ö and Dirk Nowitzki.

Fly
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
slap in the face to rose and kd

chicago lulz
02-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Not neccessarily. The four mentioned have been in the league a lot longer than Rose and KD. Quite possible MJ doesn't think Rose and KD could be successful atm, but possibly down the line.

FreakaNashur
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM

and Wade, and Melo and CP3

Fired-Up
The thing is anyone who plays in Jordan's era has to go through Jordan. Who was successful against a prime Jordan? Nobody.

BoSox47
paul pierce?

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-15-2013, 07:21 PM
He is so wrong about that its not funny. He is trying to say that he played in a much better era which is not true.

The Knicks were sorry in his time. Ewings best player was John Starks and that guy sucked!! You put KD on that team and the Bulls dont get by the Knicks. Reggie Miller was a prime time star in that era. He is not even as good as Ray Allen and Allen is a second or third rate star in todays game. Jordan is off his meds. Old man has alzheimers

heyman321
02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Kg?

unleashthebeast
02-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Big slap in the face to Wade especially. MVP level play for a number of years, and still a top 7 player in the league. Surprised MJ didn't add him.

DODGERS&LAKERS
The thing is anyone who plays in Jordan's era has to go through Jordan. Who was successful against a prime Jordan? Nobody.

Who would be considered the prime team that Jordan had to go against in the 90's?

ManRam
More stupidity from the GOAT..

Getting a bit more defensive lately.

Players going back would struggle no more than players going forward in time...

bringinwood
02-15-2013, 07:24 PM
When you're talking Jordan, success means something else entirely...

He's not talking all star or first team...

He is talking multiple titles...

Based on that, he's right...

JNoel
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
I agree, this list looks pretty accurate. I would defend for Wade, but I just don't see his (or any other type of reckless type style player/present elite PGs) really producing in that era like they do now. The man has spoken.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Well based on that the only players that could play in todays game from the 90's would be Jordan, Pippen, Hakeem, and Horry. Thats dumb logic

ManRam
02-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Well, the same could be said about any players switching eras, if the criteria for "success" is so narrow.

Rosh
02-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Big slap in the face to Wade especially. MVP level play for a number of years, and still a top 7 player in the league. Surprised MJ didn't add him.

Wade would have been knocked senseless in that era it wouldn't have been funny. His 'throw-his-body' around play along with the phantom fouls probably would not bode well.

bringinwood
02-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I agree, this list looks pretty accurate. I would defend for Wade, but I just don't see his (or any other type of reckless type style player/present elite PGs) really producing in that era like they do now. The man has spoken.

Wade and perhaps CP3...

But, Garnett, pierce, rose, Durant, d12 and others wouldn't make it... At least, not yet

bringinwood
02-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Well based on that the only players that could play in todays game from the 90's would be Jordan, Pippen, Hakeem, and Horry. Thats dumb logic

Its not dumb logic...

Players with great enough talent to lead their respective teams towards multiple titles...

You know what I meant... Don't be butt hurt because you're wrong in another thread

ManRam
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Everyone talks about how physical the league used to be, and it was, but the perimeter defenders as a whole are guys the stars of today with their athleticism could blow by with more ease.

Guys like Wade, Rose, Rondo etc. are plenty strong enough and durable enough to take whatever the big trees could throw at them.

The whole "no one could survive back in the 80s because defenses were so tough" thing is so overblown. These guards today are so much bigger and stronger than the guards back then. They'd be OK.

ManRam
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Wade and perhaps CP3...

But, Garnett, pierce, rose, Durant, d12 and others wouldn't make it... At least, not yet

PERHAPS Chris Paul? PERHAPS?!?!

CP3's play isn't falling off in any era.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Its not dumb logic...

Players with great enough talent to lead their respective teams towards multiple titles...

You know what I meant... Don't be butt hurt because you're wrong in another thread

So Malone, Stockton, Robinson, Barkley, Ewing, so on and so forth could not make it in todays NBA?

godolphins
02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
This is only one man's opinion.

ziglur
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM

Lots of the so-called stars of today cant play like they did then. They couldnt take the beating they took then. Larry Bird wasnt that rough but he would manhandle these guys today. Dennis Rodman would have them crying. These guys today wouldnt take that abuse. Jordon knows it!

bringinwood
Everyone talks about how physical the league used to be, and it was, but the perimeter defenders as a whole are guys the stars of today with their athleticism could blow by with more ease.

Guys like Wade, Rose, Rondo etc. are plenty strong enough and durable enough to take whatever the big trees could throw at them.

The whole "no one could survive back in the 80s because defenses were so tough" thing is so overblown. These guards today are so much bigger and stronger than the guards back then. They'd be OK.

I agree with the notion that its overblown...

The game, while not as physical in terms of fights, is just as physical a game as in decades past...

The game is just much much faster...

ManRam
You guys act like if you weren't aren't a 30% shooter from three you can't stand a chance in the 80s.

If ****ing Isiah Thomas fooled people into thinking he was a top 30 player ever, Wade, Rose, Parker and Westbrook would be fine, and Melo, Pierce, Harden etc. are going to beast.

bringinwood
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
So Malone, Stockton, Robinson, Barkley, Ewing, so on and so forth could not make it in todays NBA?

They wouldn't lead their respective teams to multiple titles...

No

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I agree with the notion that its overblown...

The game, while not as physical in terms of fights, is just as physical a game as in decades past...

The game is just much much faster...

Finally a sensable post. I was beginning to worry...

ManRam
02-15-2013, 07:42 PM

I think Stockton, Barkley and Ewing wouldn't be as highly regarded. :shrug: I think Malone and especially Robinson would be fine.

bringinwood
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Finally a sensable post. I was beginning to worry...

You should save your worry for all those lakers fans blaming D12 for the lakers issues...

They are the senseless ones ... ;)

bringinwood
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Its all based on discretion...

What is your definition of success ???

Chances are, Michael Jordans is higher...

This is how media sucks in the weak minded...

Just use your brain a little...

Sox72
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Wade flops and cries constantly. He is the biggest puss in the NBA. He would have been eaten alive in Jordan's era.

Sox72
02-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Kg?

I don't think he mentioned KG because he kind of did play in his era and was successful. No need to name him.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
I think Stockton, Barkley and Ewing wouldn't be as highly regarded. :shrug: I think Malone and especially Robinson would be fine.

I think that they would all be fine. From this era to that one or that one to this one. They would just have to adjust their games a little.

My biggest concern is for the big men of the 90's playing today. Its a lot harder to dump the ball into the post because of the zone defense. Thats why Shaq was so upset with the rule.

Stockton would play well, but yes he would be kind of equal with all the other great point guards of today and would not be considered one of the best like he was in the 90's. I see why you would say that.

But Jordan saying that guys like Durant, Rose, Westbrook and Wade would not be great in the 90's is way off to me. I think they would be just as good

Slug3
Wade would have been knocked senseless in that era it wouldn't have been funny. His 'throw-his-body' around play along with the phantom fouls probably would not bode well.

What's the era cut off date? Just the 80s? I mean iverson was successful with that style of play.

HouRealCoach
Jordan is an idiot...

KG, Pierce, Allen, Carter, Kidd, Wade, Rondo, CP3, etc.. Just a few that would survive. Who in the hell gave this guy the chance to run a team

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
You should save your worry for all those lakers fans blaming D12 for the lakers issues...

They are the senseless ones ... ;)

I try. Some listen some dont. Howard is playing pretty good for being so hobbled. Leader in rebounds and still shooting a high percentage with a good amount of blocks. I think they are just bummed he is not dunking like he used to and seems unhappy. They dont blame his production, they blame his attitude for their distain.

But back on topic.... MJ is wrong

onlythisfar41
02-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Unbelievably totally 100% agree with this post. I think people are confusing stars getting away with phantom calls and going for flops with being weak. Look top tier players arent just at the top of the game because they are physically gifted, they are there because they have the smarts to be a top player as well. When a top player starts to notice certain things that he can get away with to gain a competitive advantage, then you bet your *** a smart player is going to push the envelope as far as they can to ensure they are going to win.

I promise you that Wade and Rondo and may others are "tough enough" to handle the guards and the game of Jordan's era. Not only are many of them physically tough enough but like ManRam said, many of todays stars would absolutely blow the perimeter defenders of that era out of the water with their speed and athleticism.

Jordan is the one that seems butthurt more and more lately.

LOOTERX9
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Jordan is an idiot...

KG, Pierce, Allen, Carter, Kidd, Wade, Rondo, CP3, etc.. Just a few that would survive. Who in the hell gave this guy the chance to run a team

This is a good list. MJ is just trolling the current nba universe.. hahaha!!

jakey
02-15-2013, 08:01 PM

It was an interview. It's not like he is saying these things just to get attention.

It's is opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesnt make his opinion ''stupid''.

What he is saying is that those players he mentioned are the ones that can content for a chip and win a ring in those times. Nothing wrong with that and i think he is spot on although i may add Garnett to that list.

jakey
02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
I think that they would all be fine. From this era to that one or that one to this one. They would just have to adjust their games a little.

My biggest concern is for the big men of the 90's playing today. Its a lot harder to dump the ball into the post because of the zone defense. Thats why Shaq was so upset with the rule.

Stockton would play well, but yes he would be kind of equal with all the other great point guards of today and would not be considered one of the best like he was in the 90's. I see why you would say that.

But Jordan saying that guys like Durant, Rose, Westbrook and Wade would not be great in the 90's is way off to me. I think they would be just as good
Westbrook?

With that IQ of his?

He is an overrated chucker who seems to think he should take more shots than the best scorer in the league. Can you imagine him playing with Jordan LOL?

Also i think Jordan is not a fan of Athletic players only like rose and westbrook.

Hellcrooner
02-15-2013, 08:04 PM
No wonder he drafted Kwame brown and then Adam morrison :rolleyes:

Melo, Stoudamire,Kidd, Kg, Pierce, Ray allen, Bosh, Wade, Lebron, Rose, Howard, Pau, KObe, Nash,Cp3, Duncan, Manu,Dirk, Marion, Durant, Roy, Love.
All of them AT THEIR PRIME would have starred in the 90s too.

Hellcrooner
02-15-2013, 08:07 PM
As a matter of fact JOrdan just doesnt know how LUCKY he was that on his PRIME the Birds, Magics,Thomases, Kareems, Dr Js, Gervins, Englishes, Kings and etc were on their twilight and then the Kidds, Shaqs, Duncans, Kgs, Kobes etc were just beggining.

ManRam
I'll probably get ripped for this, but swap Westbrook for Isiah and the Pistons see no drop off in play...

Blitzbolt
Some teams still play 90s basketball but the 3 ball is killing the NBA.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
KG? Didn't he play in MJ's era and do very good, considering his age and all?

DallasTrilla23
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
The only reason why he didn't mention KG is because KG did play in his era.

if not, then wtf.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 08:11 PM

I dont think hes saying they would win titles in HIS era.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Jordan seems like an old bitter man. Clinging to the past. Guess what? His opinions don't matter. His era is done. Never to be seen again. As time goes on, people will remember less about his era until finally he is the only one remembered from his own era. That's what happens when you get old. Jordan has never accepted getting old. It will happen to all of us. You must learn to accept it or else you end up like Jordan - minus the truck loads of money and women to give you comfort.

Did anyone read that in-depth Jordan article by Wright Thompson on ESPN today? It describes how Jordan is an over-competitive maniac. He doesn't know how to channel his inner fire to compete as he gets older. Why on Earth is he even challenging players on his own team to 1 on 1 games? Do you not think he could possibly stunt the growth of his own players through these actions? He puts doubts in his own players heads that he doesn't need to by beating them. You think Michael Kidd-Gilchrist thinks it was awesome he lost to a 50 year old man at the age of 19? I bet you the kid doubts his own game now subconsciously. There are stories abound of what Jordan did to Kwame Brown during his development process. Kwame Brown sucks but his growth was stunted long before then by what Jordan did.

Don't get me wrong - Jordan is the GOAT. Great player and great businessman. He isn't the best owner or talent evaluator. Actually probably one of the worst.

Heediot
02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
^^^ What he said.

bucketss
02-15-2013, 08:14 PM
c'mon jb.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 08:15 PM

You know whats hilarious, when you ask those same posters if they feel the 60's/70's had superior defenses (they were FAR tougher on players in terms of fouls). Hell why stop there, why not claim the 40's/50's had the best defenses, fans used to throw bottles at you. Thats pretty tough.

Like I always say, tougher does not equate to better.

BigBlueCrew
Jordan seems like an old bitter man. Clinging to the past. Guess what? His opinions don't matter. His era is done. Never to be seen again. As time goes on, people will remember less about his era until finally he is the only one remembered from his own era. That's what happens when you get old. Jordan has never accepted getting old. It will happen to all of us. You must learn to accept it or else you end up like Jordan - minus the truck loads of money and women to give you comfort.

Did anyone read that in-depth Jordan article by Wright Thompson on ESPN today? It describes how Jordan is an over-competitive maniac. He doesn't know how to channel his inner fire to compete as he gets older. Why on Earth is he even challenging players on his own team to 1 on 1 games? Do you not think he could possibly stunt the growth of his own players through these actions? He puts doubts in his own players heads that he doesn't need to by beating them. You think Michael Kidd-Gilchrist thinks it was awesome he lost to a 50 year old man at the age of 19? I bet you the kid doubts his own game now subconsciously. There are stories abound of what Jordan did to Kwame Brown during his development process. Kwame Brown sucks but his growth was stunted long before then by what Jordan did.

Don't get me wrong - Jordan is the GOAT. Great player and great businessman. He isn't the best owner or talent evaluator. Actually probably one of the worst.

What?!?! :facepalm:

jakey

But how is he bitter when ESPN are doing the whole birthday thing?
They ask him questions, he answers it. Just because it's not what you want to hear, doesnt mean he is bitter?

I don't see why Kobe/Lebron fans are taking his comments so personally. He wasnt rude about either player.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Lots of the so-called stars of today cant play like they did then. They couldnt take the beating they took then. Larry Bird wasnt that rough but he would manhandle these guys today. Dennis Rodman would have them crying. These guys today wouldnt take that abuse. Jordon knows it!

Funny, the NBA changed its rules to help MJ. They did the exact opposite for Wilt. Is it fair to say Wilt knows MJ wouldnt hang in his league? They were tougher back then too.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
What?!?! :facepalm:

Great analysis to my reply. Try again. Use your words.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
But how is he bitter when ESPN are doing the whole birthday thing?
They ask him questions, he answers it. Just because it's not what you want to hear, doesnt mean he is bitter?

I don't see why Kobe/Lebron fans are taking his comments so personally. He wasnt rude about either player.

Did you read the Wright Thompson article? If you did not then please STFU. There are numerous quotes I can pull out of it where Jordan can't comprehend how he is old now. How he is trying to get back into game shape. Jordan is obsessed with who he used to be and not who he currently is. Chasing a number in his head: 218. That was his playing weight. Read the damn article before you comment please.

sfattahian
02-15-2013, 08:26 PM
he's right

BigBlueCrew
02-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Great analysis to my reply. Try again. Use your words.

Very well.

MKG was stunted because he lost to Michael Jordan???? If that was the case perhaps he should leave the NBA right now and dont let the door hit you on the way out. If a little kid cant take a loss and a little competition then GTFO out the NBA. Great analysis :facepalm:

His era is done? Puhlease. This is the era your actually admiring? This era of touch fouls and techs and flagrant on every little push? The Reggie Miller kick foul call and defensive 3 seconds. I understand the NBA has an image to maintain and a white collar crowd that it wants to cater to so it can pull in more advertising dollars. But please cut the ********.

Enuf words for you?

Guppyfighter
02-15-2013, 08:32 PM
He is really good at talent evaluation and it shows in his team. He's probably right.

mdm692
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
No Nash? Great shooter and passer.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 08:41 PM

PLZ

Wade is 6"4 220, and in an era that promoted isolation, where you had to hide your zone defense in rotational schemes, I think he would do just fine with the lack of perimeter athletes and zones to hound him.

Physical play and handchecking would hurt him, but there are advantages to be had as well. I dont know why people try to act like the leagues are worlds apart.

LJEATON26
02-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Jordan needs to shut up and worry about his damn Bobcats being the worst team in the NBA... Again!

amak316
02-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Jordan is the GOAT but I think the ship has sailed on the notion of him being a great talent evaluator.

I'm surprised Kwame didn't make this list.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Very well.

MKG was stunted because he lost to Michael Jordan???? If that was the case perhaps he should leave the NBA right now and dont let the door hit you on the way out. If a little kid cant take a loss and a little competition then GTFO out the NBA. Great analysis :facepalm:

His era is done? Puhlease. This is the era your actually admiring? This era of touch fouls and techs and flagrant on every little push? The Reggie Miller kick foul call and defensive 3 seconds. I understand the NBA has an image to maintain and a white collar crowd that it wants to cater to so it can pull in more advertising dollars. But please cut the ********.

Enuf words for you?

What is the point of him playing 1 on 1 then? He isn't helping MKG's growth as a player. Jordan plays 1 on 1 to measure if he still has anything left in the tank. Its not like Jordan plays 1 on 1 to give MKG any pointers or tips for his game. Jordan plays to destroy you. Nothing else, nothing more. Again, how is this useful for a kid who needs to be taught how to play properly and handle the pressures of being in TODAY'S NBA. Not yesterday, not 10 years ago. Today's NBA. With all this Jordan love recently, there was even an article about how he doesn't play 1 on 1 against his son anymore because of how competitive and personal it gets. Again, how is this useful? Its just Jordan being selfish, trying to gauge what game he still has left in his 50 year old body. When Jordan was with the Wizards he ripped Kwame all the time. Not every one learns through the same manner as he did. If you were in school and the teacher yelled at you all the time because she thinks thats the best way to learn that doesn't mean its the right way. Some people learn though nurturing and others through the fire. Anyways, MKG sure is tearing it up and showing glimpses of that high draft pick he deserved to be (sarcasm). Not saying Jordan ruined him forever because he played 1 on 1 with him, I just don't see what its purpose was as an owner to his player. More destructive than constructive.

As for Jordan's era. It is done. Do you have some time machine that can magically take you back to the 80's or 90's? If not, then again STFU. His era is over. It will never return. This is the era of basketball we live in now. It will soon pass and another will replace it. What are you arguing? The merits of time? I've seen Jordan play, I've seen Magic play. I've seen their era's, I'm not a kid. Last I checked their eras are over, stop focusing on the past and live in the present. This era for its good and bad is here now.

Also its spelled, "please" and "enough"

Knicks21
02-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Wade left the Jordan brand, im not surprised.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Very well.

Enuf words for you?

Bingo! This era sucks outside of the truly elite 7-10. Guys like rondo and Blake are superstars and are very limited players. The league had better parity with seasoned college players contributing right away. Today's game is weak

bucketss
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Bingo! This era sucks outside of the truly elite 7-10. Guys like rondo and Blake are superstars and are very limited players. The league had better parity with seasoned college players contributing right away. Today's game is weak

they're not superstars.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM

So why do you post on an NBA forum? Your statement is so hypocritical, I think you fail to even realize what you posted. What kind of person creates a username and makes over 2,000 posts (probably mostly in the NBA forum) because he hates this era of basketball? Obviously, you have to be huge NBA fan to post on sites like these. Regardless of this era of basketball's problems, it appears you are still a big enough fan to watch NBA games and comment regularly. Why would you do that if you didn't like the version of the NBA you see today? You are either a bug hypocrite or someone who enjoys wasting his or her own time.

BTW, I'm old enough where I've watched games in the 80's and 90's. Believe me, there are things that I hate about today's game but absolutely love. If you didn't watch basketball in those time periods, please refrain from making comparisons to todays game.

Shlumpledink
02-15-2013, 09:04 PM
All guys like to say their era was the toughest when they're out of the league.

Knick_Fever
02-15-2013, 09:05 PM

Add me to that list too. Jordan is just stating facts. I mean who better to gauge play than Jordan, who excelled in a much more physical era than today's? And let me explain one reason why he would exclude someone like CP3: These days you see point guards blowing past whoever and whenever. They're allowed to "probe" at will, while getting in the paint with ease. A lot of it has to do with officiating, but more has to do with responsibility. In the Jordan era for one, defenders would do a far better job moving their feet, staying in front of point guards. Two, if they did manage to get into the paint, they would pay a hefty price.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
they're not superstars.

Well they are touted as such. I hear rondo is the best pure pg crap all over social media. D12 is a superstar too?? BLAKE bwahahahahahaha . These guys wouldn't be as successful as they are now with the old rules. And people talk about the blow by speed. If you play basketball you can be slow as dirt and hand check some1 and contain them. You can literally guide the offense players movement. I agree with MJ here. I'm sure others can play but not nearly at the same level

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
they're not superstars.

Exactly! there are maybe 5 superstars in the league at any given time. Lebron; Durant; CP3 for sure. Kobe and Wade are still hanging in there as superstars with Dwight now out of the loop if his play doesn't pick up again.

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2013, 09:09 PM
This coming from the guy who told the Bulls to draft Joe Wolf the year they picked up Pippen and Grant. Jordan picked Adam Morrison and Kawme Brown over a number of All-Star players... I don't trust his ability to evaluate players, especially front court players.

There is no doubt in my mind that Garnett would have been an All-Star in the 90's and that Pau would have been as well. And Durant? Of course he'd be an All-star in any generation. Most of the guys playing at an all-star level in this league, would play at an all-star level in the 90's as well. I would agree that there are a number of players in the league now who may not have been able to get a position in the league in the 90's, or that if they did, their roles would be a lot smaller. The depth of the league isn't what it was, but at the same time, the guys are the top are as good as ever.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-15-2013, 09:11 PM
So why do you post on an NBA forum? Your statement is so hypocritical, I think you fail to even realize what you posted. What kind of person creates a username and makes over 2,000 posts (probably mostly in the NBA forum) because he hates this era of basketball? Obviously, you have to be huge NBA fan to post on sites like these. Regardless of this era of basketball's problems, it appears you are still a big enough fan to watch NBA games and comment regularly. Why would you do that if you didn't like the version of the NBA you see today? You are either a bug hypocrite or someone who enjoys wasting his or her own time.

BTW, I'm old enough where I've watched games in the 80's and 90's. Believe me, there are things that I hate about today's game but absolutely love. If you didn't watch basketball in those time periods, please refrain from making comparisons to todays game.

I love the game!! Not what it has become. It's a business now. It's not pure. Friends teaming up are killing rivalries. This is still the highest level of play . I've been on this site for years and I have 2,000 posts. That's a good week for some here. So ur entitled to think what you want but I stand by MY Opinion

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Guys don't even care much anymore. It's like an analyst said on radio. You can walk into almost any others sports lockeroom and tell who won or lost the game. 10 mins after an Nba game you can't tell crap.

Redskins10
02-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Great post.. The piece made me feel a bit sorry for Jordan. He's miserable.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 09:17 PM

yup

sunsfan88
02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
People need to quit posting what MJ says. This guy is the best at basketball but he's the worst in terms of recognizing talent. This is evident in his FO decisions and other statements he has made (Kobe over 'Bron etc)

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 09:22 PM
I love the game!! Not what it has become. It's a business now. It's not pure. Friends teaming up are killing rivalries. This is still the highest level of play . I've been on this site for years and I have 2,000 posts. That's a good week for some here. So ur entitled to think what you want but I stand by MY Opinion

You are correct. You are entitled to your opinion. But I respectfully disagree. But still . . .

So its the rivalries you miss? What rivalries are you missing exactly? There are only a few that come to mind for me from the past. Lakers-Celtics; Bulls-Pistons; Heat-Knicks. There might be some others in there as well, but nothing that has IMO stood the test of time.

Just from this current era I could name you a few rivalries also that absolutely hated each other: Lakers-Kings (early 2000's); Pacers-Pistons (during the mid 2000's); Heat-Celtics (currently).

What is so wrong with being friendly with each other anyways? Its a child's game we are watching grown men play. Bird and Magic were good friends during their primes. Maybe they didn't work out together but they made commercials together. You may not remember this or weren't born yet, but Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas (in their primes) used to give each other pecks on the cheek before games (even during the Finals). Can you imagine what would happen in today's media cycle if Lebron and Durant did that? So why do we have such a double standard?

Matrix3132
02-15-2013, 09:22 PM
He is so wrong about that its not funny. He is trying to say that he played in a much better era which is not true.

The Knicks were sorry in his time. Ewings best player was John Starks and that guy phuken sucked!! You put KD on that team and the Bulls dont get by the Knicks. Reggie Miller was a prime time star in that era. He is not even as good as Ray Allen and Allen is a second or third rate star in todays game. Jordan is off his meds. Old man has alzheimers

The knicks aren't even a very successful franchise, not even in the top 10 all time

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
People need to quit posting what MJ says. This guy is the best at basketball but he's the worst in terms of recognizing talent. This is evident in his FO decisions and other statements he has made (Kobe over 'Bron etc)

add to that he is so defensive and will do anything possible to crap on anyone, or any era, that might be compared to his. Its sad honestly. Its part of what made him great, meaning, he made sure he shut everyone up and destroyed his peers, but now he just sounds like a bitter old man.

5-6 years ago, when asked about Kobe, he said he might end up a top 10 SG haha. Now he would take him over Bron, knowing that Kobe has no shot at passing him, but he has to crap on the new guy that the media is saying might pass him. Its comical.

Dade County
02-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Yeah right Mj... Let any of these players in their prime, Wade, Kd, Cp3, Melo, Kg would have played in the time periods between 1988 - 2008; and place half these players on big market teams.

Jordan would be missing some rings right now.

I think this era of players from top to bottom or more athletic... Jordan era of players are more set rotation basketball skilled; today's bench players are 10 times better then in Jordan era.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 09:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-3QbhUCSc

Go to the 53 second to 55 second mark in this video.

This is Game 3 of the 1989 finals, between the Lakers and Pistons.

Oh man, the league was so tough back then. People wore short shorts, clothelined each other, and the superstars kissed each other before the game. Man I miss that.

(I'm being sarcastic btw)

rockbottom2010
02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
jordan is only caring about the rings...and i think he didn't mention wade is because they have issues with each other

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-15-2013, 09:39 PM
You are correct. You are entitled to your opinion. But I respectfully disagree. But still . . .

So its the rivalries you miss? What rivalries are you missing exactly? There are only a few that come to mind for me from the past. Lakers-Celtics; Bulls-Pistons; Heat-Knicks. There might be some others in there as well, but nothing that has IMO stood the test of time.

Just from this current era I could name you a few rivalries also that absolutely hated each other: Lakers-Kings (early 2000's); Pacers-Pistons (during the mid 2000's); Heat-Celtics (currently).

What is so wrong with being friendly with each other anyways? Its a child's game we are watching grown men play. You may not remember this or weren't born yet, but Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas (in their primes) used to give each other pecks on the cheek before games (even during the Finals). Can you imagine what would happen in today's media cycle if Lebron and Durant did that? So why do we have such a double standard?

There were more and there were more all out players who hated each other on the court. These guys are waiting to go to the same parties after the game. When the Mavs won the finals it was said a few Heat players were there . It could be false but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm old enough to remember all of what you're talking about. These teams didn't go thru the motions. They took the game seriously. So many examples of players who just show up for the check and don't even work on their games. The overall skill level of incoming players have dipped. Guys are learning to become basketball players after being drafted. As long as you have the measurements and the genetics you have a shot to be groomed. Nba is not what it used to be IMO . I accept the new era for what it is but it's overhyped with these inflated stat stars

effen5
02-15-2013, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-3QbhUCSc

Go to the 53 second to 55 second mark in this video.

This is Game 3 of the 1989 finals, between the Lakers and Pistons.

Oh man, the league was so tough back then. People wore short shorts, clothelined each other, and the superstars kissed each other before the game. Man I miss that.

(I'm being sarcastic btw)

Look at the HOFers in that game

More-Than-Most
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
He really needs to shut up. To suggest someone like Durant/Wade would not be successful is moronic...Oh yea and then there is Howard/KG/PP/CP3

What a load of crap...He does this as soon as someone starts saying someone is close to him....Didnt he do something similar a few years back with Kobe?

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Look at the HOFers in that game

Look at the hall of famers when the Heat played the Lakers. What's the point in this argument?

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
There were more and there were more all out players who hated each other on the court. These guys are waiting to go to the same parties after the game. When the Mavs won the finals it was said a few Heat players were there . It could be false but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm old enough to remember all of what you're talking about. These teams didn't go thru the motions. They took the game seriously. So many examples of players who just show up for the check and don't even work on their games. The overall skill level of incoming players have dipped. Guys are learning to become basketball players after being drafted. As long as you have the measurements and the genetics you have a shot to be groomed. Nba is not what it used to be IMO . I accept the new era for what it is but it's overhyped with these inflated stat stars

No offense but provide examples. You just base opinions off of what you think happened. How do you know players weren't lazy back then also? How do you know teams are going through the motions now and not then? There was no social media and internet back then either that exposes the players today that it did not back then. C'mon man, don't make arguments without supporting your statements.

Also, the stats today were the same back then (80's and 90's). There is tape of all those games. Stats were recorded. Those stats are compared today. Besides the changes in rules (the major one being hand checking), what's so different? PER could be gauged then as it is now. Its the evolution of the sport. Man's desire to understand and quantify what makes players great.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 10:13 PM

Fun fact, after an NBA Finals Game, members of the TrailBlazers were invited by MJ to eat as his restaurant.

Was that MJ being friendly? Or playing an insideous mind game?

And what makes you think these players are inflating their worth? And I would love to know how you know all these things about a players drive and work ethic.

SwatTeam
02-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Fun fact, after an NBA Finals Game, members of the TrailBlazers were invited by MJ to eat as his restaurant.

Was that MJ being friendly? Or playing an insideous mind game?

Thank you, Chronz. That's a great example. MJ also invited the Suns to his steakhouse in Chicago before their Finals series and picked up the tab for the entire team.

I strongly believe a lot of people on here rip on the current era of NBA stars as being soft because of their easier accessibility through social media and the internet that simply did not exist in the past.

I also think a lot of people who rip on this era of the NBA cheer for franchises that blow. My favorite team is the Hawks. They are an infuriatingly mediocre team but I'm not clouded or jealous of other successful teams. I place blame where it should be placed in most cases - management.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Thank you, Chronz. That's a great example. MJ also invited the Suns to his steakhouse in Chicago before their Finals series and picked up the tab for the entire team.

I strongly believe a lot of people on here rip on the current era of NBA stars as being soft because of their easier accessibility through social media and the internet that simply did not exist in the past.

I also think a lot of people who rip on this era of the NBA cheer for franchises that blow. My favorite team is the Hawks. They are an infuriatingly mediocre team but I'm not clouded or jealous of other successful teams. I place blame where it should be placed in most cases - management.
I forget which former player mentioned it but he said something that I dont think gets acknowledged enough.

With Free Agency being what it is, league expanding how it has, player movement is abundant, teams can reshuffle entire rosters, can you really blame players for not developing that intense hatred for opposing cores? Thats usually how rivalries are formed, by constant battles that just dont happen as frequently as they used to. When they do, rivalries do come up, even in this era.

Wilt and Russ were one of the greatest, if not THE Greatest Rivalry in the history of Sports. They were best of friends and spent many nights in each others house.

waveycrockett
02-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Durant gets no respect lol

Hangtime
02-15-2013, 10:44 PM
We are talking the span of about 20 years here. The gap isn't that huge LOL. These guys could adjust to playing in that era. They could adapt the rule changes and style of play. And some of them if given the right situation and coaching system around them could probably be just as good. But MJ is entitled to his opinion if that's what he believes.

b@llhog24
02-15-2013, 10:46 PM
MJ said something idiotic? Colour me shocked.

xxplayerxx23
02-15-2013, 11:00 PM

I disagree Barkley and Ewing would be fine. I think Ewing would destroy most centers in the post.

xxplayerxx23
02-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Cp3,Melo, wade, kd would easily be a star in mjs era, thyself not including some others I think would easily be good.

jerellh528
02-15-2013, 11:03 PM
I think most successful players in today's game would achieve about the same "individual" success in jordan's era. The players held in highest regard today who i think would see the biggest drop in play back then would probably be guys like wade and pau, just based on their style of play.

b@llhog24
02-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Yea, Barkley would dominate in this era.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Lol this guy isn't the smartest person.

ManRam
02-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Yeah...Rosh is a great poster, but I've been thinking about how terrible that post is all night.

Wade would be fine in any era.

iam brett favre
02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Durant wouldn't be? :laugh2:

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-16-2013, 12:06 AM
smh such disrespect.

NFLNBA
02-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I think CP3 would be very good too. I agree with him the ball played back then was different. VERY physical. You could actually play defense and hand check. Flagrant 2's back then were just a personal foul. So IMO Wade and Durrant would struggle. Wade because he relys on attacking and is small for a SG at 6'4. Medicore jump shooter, awful 3 pt shooter, medocre ft shooter. Durrant again another player that lives at the FT line. When refs let you play defense on him he isnt as good. He would need to put some muscle on.

But i can see why he named the players he did. You have to be tough as nails, play through a lot of contact, and cant be 1 dimensional is your game. Duncan and Kobe played in the NBA when you could still play some defense. Thats why i think they are so GREAT today because the game got easier. You queef near certain players and they are at the line

LOOTERX9
02-16-2013, 12:10 AM
I think Jordan meant to say no one from his Bobcats team can make it in this present era...hahahaha!!!

IKnowHoops
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
99.999% of the time, every player that ever played would be as good or better in a previous era

Jarvo
02-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Who really cares?

farren.louis
02-16-2013, 12:27 AM
The guys in the leaugue cant handle ho physical the game was back then . Kd Couldnt, Drose Couldnt, Chris Paul sure couldnt considering they didnt play pick an roll back then. Wade an Melo would get punked, both are what we call "pretty boys" so he's right on the money about this one

NFLNBA
02-16-2013, 12:28 AM
99.999% of the time, every player that ever played would be as good or better in a previous era

I understand that when it comes to people saying well todays players are more athletic, jump higher, faster ect

BUT.........the game has changed completely. Its a pu&&y league now. Cant play defense, a lot of actors now with floppers, head jerkers its a joke now. These players today that pull the things they do now would have met a fist back then........game is officiated completely different.

NFLNBA
02-16-2013, 12:30 AM
The guys in the leaugue cant handle ho physical the game was back then . Kd Couldnt, Drose Couldnt, Chris Paul sure couldnt considering they didnt play pick an roll back then. Wade an Melo would get punked, both are what we call "pretty boys" so he's right on the money about this one

I agree with you on most except CP3. He is a tough little bastard. I think he would fair better then durrant, rose,westbrook, and wade.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:33 AM

All are better athletes than just about everyone they'd face tho...

I still can't get over how everyone thinks everyone back in the 70s/80s was a bad boy. You ever see Jerry West play? Rick Barry? John Havlicek? Alex English? Dennis Johnson? Jack Sikma? McHale? Bird?

Quit acting like you couldn't succeed in earlier eras unless you were tough as nails. That's such a misnomer...it's becoming outrageous.

The game was more physical, but you're all acting like it was a different sport. It really wasn't, at all.

bucketss
02-16-2013, 12:38 AM

maybe kd but are you serious on melo? do you know what his nickname on the court is? the bull..just because hes a good looking( no homo) guy doesn't mean hes soft on the court hes just as big and strong as the guys back than.

shep33
02-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Me and my bro were talking about today's big men and putting them back in the 90s. Like Dwight back in the 90s for example... we were debating whether or not he'd even be top 5?

Shaq
Hakeem
Admiral
Pat
Zo

I mean, offensively those guys were superior, and each had the strength or quickness (sometimes both) to handle a guy like Dwight.

The Flash
02-16-2013, 12:47 AM
I remember music was better when i was younger too... What i don't understand is the reasons why today's players are not as tough and fast and such good athletes like in the past, and why basketball was so much better back then.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Me and my bro were talking about today's big men and putting them back in the 90s. Like Dwight back in the 90s for example... we were debating whether or not he'd even be top 5?

Shaq
Hakeem
Admiral
Pat
Zo

I mean, offensively those guys were superior, and each had the strength or quickness (sometimes both) to handle a guy like Dwight.

lets shove the PG's from now, or Bron/Durant back to the day. They would be just fine.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-16-2013, 12:59 AM
To stat and Chronz.. Guys when I came up were much further along I their development. We watch some of the same guys for five years plus and wonder why they haven't developed a post game, jumper, or damn ft throws . And we're not even talking marginal players. I'm talking about all stars and fringe superstars. Y'all can try and justify every claim with Jordan takin guys out . But it was clear when the ball went up they hated each other. Drose is one of the few who has that throwback attitude. I'm not begging for help or tryin to make friends. Just because I'm going with the times I don't haveto like what a wussy league it has become. I just love bballl therefore I watch. But nowhere close with the same enjoyment as the last 2 decades

yankeefan54
02-16-2013, 01:00 AM
Lol

shep33
02-16-2013, 01:04 AM
lets shove the PG's from now, or Bron/Durant back to the day. They would be just fine.

I agree. Bron + Durant would be the best SF's in the NBA. CP3 would probably be the best pg (if we're talking mid 90s).

3RDASYSTEM
02-16-2013, 01:05 AM
First it was the 5rings is better than 1 bs
then BRON countered with the RUSSELL 11 JORDAN 6 rings

now JORDAN is saying only those 4 players could be successful in his era? is he speaking teamwise(5rings) or individual wise(0 or 1 ring)

that AI crossover must have not only broke his ankles but his mental mindframe postNBA because getting guarded and attacked by CRAIG EHLO is a lot diff. than it being done by IVERSON/G.HILL/ARTEST/DURANT/TMAC/CARTER

JORDAN sounds bitter that its actually individual players just as good or possibly better game plus impact wise on hardwood court
, its his resume/mediahype that put him over top

I bet JORDAN would put KERR over SHREMPF/R.PIERCE/TERRY/GINOBILI/KUKOC/B.JACKSON/CRAWFORD/ODOM and any other 6thman/top bench player because of his 5rings over 3 or 1 or 0

I wonder if JORDAN who took DREAM over all C's of alltime realize that PURDUE has 5, and from my basic math skills, that beats 2 every single time

NIKE, GATORADE and SPACE JAM

And just to think BRON wants to do SPACE JAM 2, cant wait for JORDAN to destroy him on that with a quote

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-16-2013, 01:08 AM

Most would be fine. I just don't think some would be as statistically dominant. The rule changes and better overall team defenses would hurt a few guys stat wise. They can adjust but the calls these guys cry over every game wasn't even close to a foul. I recently watched the Jordan rules and all the extracurricular contact and physicality would make some of these babies cringe. I watched Tyson get a flagrant for a pick in the playoffs and bron had whiplash for nearly a minute. If Laimbeer set it he might've need Paul pierce's wheel chair.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 01:09 AM
I agree. Bron + Durant would be the best SF's in the NBA. CP3 would probably be the best pg (if we're talking mid 90s).

dude, I am 37. I have a protective shield over my youth watching ball, but I find it ridiculous to think many players in todays game, the stars (center aren't stars outside Dwight) wouldn't have been just fine back in the day.

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Wade, CP3, Melo, Durant, Garnett... Jordan has too much pride to admit it.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Most would be fine. I just don't think some would be as statistically dominant. The rule changes and better overall team defenses would hurt a few guys stat wise. They can adjust but the calls these guys cry over every game wasn't even close to a foul. I recently watched the Jordan rules and all the extracurricular contact and physicality would make some of these babies cringe. I watched Tyson get a flagrant for a pick in the playoffs and bron had whiplash for nearly a minute. If Laimbeer set it he might've need Paul pierce's wheel chair.

I agree, we might very well be alarmed by some of the finesse stars dropping. Honestly, and yes, I know, everyone knows I am not a Kobe fan, but he gets flustered with contact, and I don't think he would have been as good back in the 90's. I think Garnett would have also suffered. Duncan and LeBron would have been just fine I think.

Sadds The Gr8
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
lol this guy just shitted on 99% on the league

I think Wade would've been good enough but I don't think he woulda lasted long because of the physicality. Also think CP3 and Melo would be the same players.

His point is true about today's Centers though.

CTCUBBIES
02-16-2013, 02:13 AM
CP3 has accomplished nothing in this era in Jordan's mind. Jordan doesn't care about regular season stats where half the teams don't even care or play hard. Same goes with Durant, Melo, etc. You guys have to realize Jordan cares about winning in an almost sick and manic way and that's why he only mentioned guys that carried there teams to titles.

Please don't take this as me saying I agree - I'm just saying in order to have this conversation you need to establish what the criteria is. Greatness to Jordan is not averaging good numbers in the regular season - right or wrong.

b@llhog24
02-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Lmao. I just thought of something, everybody is talking about how MJ's era is so tough yet somehow a guy like Dirk who's been referred to as "soft" for most of his career is supposed to survive?

b@llhog24
02-16-2013, 02:23 AM
CP3 has accomplished nothing in this era in Jordan's mind. Jordan doesn't care about regular season stats where half the teams don't even care or play hard. Same goes with Durant, Melo, etc. You guys have to realize Jordan cares about winning in an almost sick and manic way and that's why he only mentioned guys that carried there teams to titles.

Please don't take this as me saying I agree - I'm just saying in order to have this conversation you need to establish what the criteria is. Greatness to Jordan is not averaging good numbers in the regular season - right or wrong.

Kind of thought he was thinking along these lines. Success is subjective but if that's his only way of defining success, then I don't agree with it.

CTCUBBIES
02-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Kind of thought he was thinking along these lines. Success is subjective but if that's his only way of defining success, then I don't agree with it.

Exactly! It's an argument of semantics. I don't agree with Jordan's definition either but how can you argue with how someone defines something that is subjective in the first place? The one thing I think Jordan has in his favor is that he realizes 75% of the NBA is lazy, high, hungover or simply doesn't care in the regular season. The playoffs are when you have to make your mark. That said, to say guys like Melo, CP3, Howard, Rose etc wouldn't even be successful is just ignorant.

OceanSpray
02-16-2013, 02:53 AM
1) Melo is a scorer. He will score against the best of them.
2) CP3.. How many PG's can guard him? High IQ, great leader, can do it all. Very efficient and high PER his entire career. I think he's better than Stockton if you account for overall quality.
3) Howard wouldn't dominate because of? The guy is the most athletic center asides from maybe Shaq. He certainly jumps the highest. It's very silly to assume Howard wouldn't succeed when his ability to play like the old centers has been hindered by the NBA.
4) Rose is arguably one of the quickest and strongest PG's in the league. I don't think he'll be as good but how many PG's can guard him?

This is all hypothetical but to say present NBA players wouldn't succeed in the past is just too much pride on MJ's side.

Thunder-Sooner
02-16-2013, 03:14 AM

Not true... golf was successful against him.

magic0320
02-16-2013, 03:52 AM
don't be butt hurt wade fans. he will not get any calls during jordan days. so wade won't even be that good. wade gets most of his points off getting ****** super star calls

DanG
02-16-2013, 04:15 AM
KD and Melo say hi

Bruno
02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
does he define successful?

quade36
02-16-2013, 09:15 AM

The Knicks were sorry in his time. Ewings best player was John Starks and that guy phuken sucked!! You put KD on that team and the Bulls dont get by the Knicks. Reggie Miller was a prime time star in that era. He is not even as good as Ray Allen and Allen is a second or third rate star in todays game. Jordan is off his meds. Old man has alzheimers

Wow. This is wrong. The Knicks back then would dominate in todays game. Also check this out. See if Ray Allen could ever do this....

Hall of Famer Reggie Miller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQgRz42VOM

Kinkotheclown
02-16-2013, 10:03 AM

I don't think he's so wrong. There are a few he left out IMO but the rules have changed as far as the physicality of the game. There are some players now, who are amazing but I don't think would have dealt with the physicality. It think they may have great seasons but , longevity is the issue.
I also think there was a different mentality to the game in general.

3RDASYSTEM
02-16-2013, 10:33 AM
JORDAN is one of the top players ever to lace'em up but its borderline travesty how mediahypeddickrode he has become via media and via himself

heres my examples and I could care if ya agree or agree to dis

First it somehow become a nice topic to speak on him showing his 'greatness' by beating the perennial allnba caliber BENJAMIN and just somehow killed his on verge of AI/KG type career(pure CHAPPELLE comedy)

next he gets challenged by the allnba allworld B.RUSSELL(no not a psd primed BILL), really, the GOAT gets challenged by a fringe Dleaguer after destroying the career of a Dleaguer yrs earlier?

then he beats his 'best' draft pick ever in a game of 1 on 1, that's what the GOAT has become?

Like hes not even beating fringe allstars, hes beating scrubs and getting props for it, like I said..yea I know GIL got D, but in game of 1 on 1 D becomes basically the offense because aint nobody stopping nobody 1 on 1 hardly ever and knowing JORDAN and a assassin he was/is, he played make it take it

mediahyped GOAT

now if it wouldn't have taken him 7yrs to capture that 'great' ship and still had both his back to back 3peats, then maybe last I checked 12(JORDAN) is 'greater' than 11(RUSSELL)

So in essence the same thing JORDAN tried to diss BRON with came back and bit him in the *** because last I checked both JORDAN/RUSSELL are champions/legends/HOF 1st ballot, or is RUSSELL reduced to PSD style role player since he clearly has the edge when it comes to 'greatness' on the media GOAT? PSD members always try to say well FISHER/KERR were 'role' players, and im like so was RUSS(D anchor,heart-soul-leader),JORDAN(scoring-playmaking-leader role) and BRON(Off-def anchor-leader of CAVS to Co-leader with WADE now)

Role players like FISH/KERR/HORRY all had to knock down open/clutch 3's, it was they role...vital

just like SACRE of LA role is to cheer on bench and spell injured bigs right?

a role is a role, a caliber of player is a caliber of player and what they capable of is just that, media once again wins trying to make rings a major factor, but doesn't use it on even field for every player, but all players in my eyes are on even field...day1,any pro sport

riconek
02-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Wade is ***** That is why MJ did not mention him. Wade would die playing against 90 defense

ManRam
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Wade is ***** That is why MJ did not mention him. Wade would die playing against 90 defense

I'm like beginning to get upset that people actually think this ****.

:laugh:

Captain Moroni
02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Easy for MJ to sit up there on his retirement throne and say whatever he wants.

Truth is, 90% of todays NBA players are better, and flat out more talented that the players were 15-20 years ago.

You have better stats when you play against lesser talent.

Babe Ruth never faced Randy Johnson.

Albert Pujhols would have hit 80 HR a year in the 1920's

Todays KC Royals would beat the 27 Yankees on sheer talent alone.

scottie
02-16-2013, 11:42 AM

You're so right, the guards today are so much bigger than Magic. STFU

riconek
02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm like beginning to get upset that people actually think this ****.

:laugh:

He pu**y Man nobody can touch him He always screaming whining etc. He would not survive 90 basketball

RLundi
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
I kinda wish Jordan would just shut up already.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
You're so right, the guarday today are so much niger than Magic. STFU

1. Amazing typo
2. Magic was ONE player
3. Go along with your day

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
He pu**y Man nobody can touch him He always screaming whining etc. He would not survive 90 basketball

Yes. Because whining and screaming matters when it comes to actually playing basketball.

He'd get used to it. He's too athletic not to thrive in any generation.

Greedy22
02-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I feel CP3 would be an absolute monster in that era. Love Dirk, but how would he be more successful than Wade, KD, Rose?

Greedy22
02-16-2013, 12:22 PM
You're so right, the guarday today are so much niger than Magic. STFU

Always wanted to visit there.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:23 PM
I feel CP3 would be an absolute monster in that era. Love Dirk, but how would he be more successful than Wade, KD, Rose?

Yeah. If the reasoning is that these guys aren't "tough enough", why Dirk? I guess because he can shoot.

A lot of inconsistencies with some of these arguments.

chi-townlove1
02-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Your telling me Jordan would struggle in this day in age. :laugh: ok.

riconek
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Yes. Because whining and screaming matters when it comes to actually playing basketball.

He'd get used to it. He's too athletic not to thrive in any generation.

It matters because of that he gets FT's which he does not deserve

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
It matters because of that he gets FT's which he does not deserve

Apparently you've never seen how many FTs Jordan, West, Dantley, Reggie etc. got.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM

I didn't say that.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-16-2013, 12:42 PM
i agree with manram.. hate it when they overrate the eras. why do they assume as if players dont adapt to the rules lol..

Greedy22
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah. If the reasoning is that these guys aren't "tough enough", why Dirk? I guess because he can shoot.

A lot of inconsistencies with some of these arguments.

I guess. It's the nostalgia from the past that gets the best of people, never understood why people used the argument of "so and so wouldn't be as great in that era" like that really matters since it's come and pass.

That's not what he said at all.

koreancabbage
02-16-2013, 12:52 PM
well if hand checking was a rule, Durant and rose woud be getting "fouled" every moment in terms of today's games. the physicality would probably ruin Rose and Durant atm. Melo has really only shown this year as more than a selfish player though Melo does play it rough at times.

riconek
02-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Apparently you've never seen how many FTs Jordan, West, Dantley, Reggie etc. got.

Have you seen MJ or Reggie screaming foul, foul 30 min a game? They got it because they deserved.
Dont get me wrong. Wade is good player but screaming , whining every play ? really.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Have you seen MJ or Reggie screaming foul, foul 30 min a game? They got it because they deserved.
Dont get me wrong. Wade is good player but screaming , whining every play ? really.

What player today doesn't whine? No reason to single him out.

That doesn't affect how they play the game though...it doesn't impact their athleticism,skills, accomplishments or abilities. In an era where whining was less acceptable they'd assimilate fine. It's not something you can use to knock their ability to play basketball. Whining is something independent of basketball. It happens after the fact of the matter...

4milesperday
02-16-2013, 01:00 PM
I think MJ is starting to get over-pompus...he acts as if he was God or something. His era was terrible, there was no shooting guard he had to compete against. Your team won 72 games, not because you were that good but because other teams sucked. His biggest competition was Utah Jazz.

PleaseBeNice
02-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Just because the holy, untouchable, and in line with some of your comments - JORDAN IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!! GOAT LETS STROKE HIM OFF NOW

scottie
02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Reggie Miller, Jordan, Pippen, ....and there are many more guards who were just as big if not bigger than today's players?

NBA league average height, weight, age and playing experience
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2012)
This page details information on the average height, weight, age and playing experience of players in the National Basketball Association since the 1985–86 season.[1][2][3]
The NBA peaked in height during the 1986–87 season, when the average height was 6*feet 7.62*inches (2.0223*m). The second and third tallest seasons are the 2002–03 and 1987–88 seasons. In fact, four of the seven tallest seasons occurred in the latter half of the 1980s.
Meanwhile, the NBA's shortest seasons in recent history have been 2006–07 and 2007–08.
Among the three seasons with the highest number
Among the three seasons with the lowest number
Season Height (feet, inches) Weight (pounds) Age (years) Experience (seasons)
1985–86 6' 7.36" 214.40 26.72 3.85
1986–87 6' 7.62" 215.46 26.53 3.83
1987–88 6' 7.38" 215.61 27.01 4.1
1988–89 6' 7.31" 215.58 26.92 4.01
1989–90 6' 7.09" 214.82 26.79 3.95
1990–91 6' 7.16" 216.16 27.01 4.08
1991–92 6' " 216.47 27.09 4.20
1992–93 6' 7.06" 219.86 27.19 4.15
1993–94 6' 7.34" 221.68 27.26 4.28
1994–95 6' 7.19" 221.50 27.43 4.56
1995–96 6' 7.27" 223.66 27.56 4.42
1996–97 6' 7.20" 223.67 27.74 4.63
1997–98 6' 7.11" 222.95 27.82 4.82
1998–99 6' 7.10" 222.85 27.82 4.81
1999–2000 6' 7.26" 224.68 27.95 5.20
2000–01 6' 7.03" 223.47 27.75 5.01
2001–02 6' 7.26" 224.05 27.47 4.82
2002–03 6' 7.40" 225.40 27.34 4.73
2003–04 6' 7.31" 225.45 27.22 4.76
2004–05 6' 7.26" 224.29 27.03 4.61
2005–06 6' 7.18" 223.08 26.70 4.38
2006–07 6' 6.3" 221.55 26.67 4.42
2007–08 6' 6.98" 221.00 26.89 4.71
[edit]See also

List of tallest players in National Basketball Association history
List of shortest players in National Basketball Association history
NBA records
[edit]References

Now go about your day!

scottie
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I think MJ is starting to get over-pompus...he acts as if he was God or something. His era was terrible, there was no shooting guard he had to compete against. Your team won 72 games, not because you were that good but because other teams sucked. His biggest competition was Utah Jazz.

You must be a child, today's NBA is WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy easier to score and play offense, than the NBA of the 90s.

Please don't kid yourself, a whole team designed a D-Scheme against Jordan. It was called the "Jordan Rules".

ManRam
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Reggie Miller, Jordan, Pippen, ....and there are many more guards who were just as big if not bigger than today's players?

NBA league average height, weight, age and playing experience
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2012)
This page details information on the average height, weight, age and playing experience of players in the National Basketball Association since the 1985–86 season.[1][2][3]
The NBA peaked in height during the 1986–87 season, when the average height was 6*feet 7.62*inches (2.0223*m). The second and third tallest seasons are the 2002–03 and 1987–88 seasons. In fact, four of the seven tallest seasons occurred in the latter half of the 1980s.
Meanwhile, the NBA's shortest seasons in recent history have been 2006–07 and 2007–08.
Among the three seasons with the highest number
Among the three seasons with the lowest number
Season Height (feet, inches) Weight (pounds) Age (years) Experience (seasons)
1985–86 6' 7.36" 214.40 26.72 3.85
1986–87 6' 7.62" 215.46 26.53 3.83
1987–88 6' 7.38" 215.61 27.01 4.1
1988–89 6' 7.31" 215.58 26.92 4.01
1989–90 6' 7.09" 214.82 26.79 3.95
1990–91 6' 7.16" 216.16 27.01 4.08
1991–92 6' " 216.47 27.09 4.20
1992–93 6' 7.06" 219.86 27.19 4.15
1993–94 6' 7.34" 221.68 27.26 4.28
1994–95 6' 7.19" 221.50 27.43 4.56
1995–96 6' 7.27" 223.66 27.56 4.42
1996–97 6' 7.20" 223.67 27.74 4.63
1997–98 6' 7.11" 222.95 27.82 4.82
1998–99 6' 7.10" 222.85 27.82 4.81
1999–2000 6' 7.26" 224.68 27.95 5.20
2000–01 6' 7.03" 223.47 27.75 5.01
2001–02 6' 7.26" 224.05 27.47 4.82
2002–03 6' 7.40" 225.40 27.34 4.73
2003–04 6' 7.31" 225.45 27.22 4.76
2004–05 6' 7.26" 224.29 27.03 4.61
2005–06 6' 7.18" 223.08 26.70 4.38
2006–07 6' 6.3" 221.55 26.67 4.42
2007–08 6' 6.98" 221.00 26.89 4.71
[edit]See also

List of tallest players in National Basketball Association history
List of shortest players in National Basketball Association history
NBA records
[edit]References

Now go about your day!

Bigger =/= taller

Chronz
02-16-2013, 02:11 PM
You must be a child, today's NBA is WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy easier to score and play offense, than the NBA of the 90s.

Please don't kid yourself, a whole team designed a D-Scheme against Jordan. It was called the "Jordan Rules".

Rly, the Jordan Rules? I dont think anyone has ever heard of that. You must be lying. I mean it almost sounds as if you think a team would focus on just stopping him...... no way, defenses geared towards stopping an offensive player? SHOCKING

utl768
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
jordan is a moron

best player ever but one of the dumbest people on the planet

perfect example of a guy who got by on talent his whole life, if jordan couldnt play basketball he would be working at wendys

Captain Moroni
02-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Question should be would jordans bulls win six championships or more in todays NBA?
Uhhh no, they would not.

Neither would the bill Russell/cousy celtics, the bird/mchale celtics or the Reed/frazier knicks.

The team that would win today?....magic kareem lakers

Magic Bean Fury
02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Opinions are like *******s. We all have one and that is Jordan's opinion. Doesn't mean he's right or wrong. But two words come to mind. Kwame Brown.

riconek
02-16-2013, 04:58 PM
What player today doesn't whine? No reason to single him out.

That doesn't affect how they play the game though...it doesn't impact their athleticism,skills, accomplishments or abilities. In an era where whining was less acceptable they'd assimilate fine. It's not something you can use to knock their ability to play basketball. Whining is something independent of basketball. It happens after the fact of the matter...

I am not saying players dont whine, but he is the master There is nobody like him.
I can say he would get 3-4 points less per game without whining. He is even worst than Griffin

SportsFanatic10
02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
what a load of ****!

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 07:04 PM

high level athletes are adaptive though. You send players back now, they aren't flopping in that era like they do now, because there is no benefit.

hail2skins4life
02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Paul Pierce
Jason Kidd
Kevin Garnett
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Ray Allen
Carmelo Anthony
Rajon Rondo
Dwayne Wade

He missed quite a few players. Jordan is extremely cocky. A lot of players could be successful in his era

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Finally someone who gets it.+1

stawka
02-16-2013, 08:06 PM
So basically he's saying, all the guys who were successful in their own rights during the 90's like Reggie, Barkley, Malone, Hardaway's, Dominique etc., would be a lot better than Wade, Melo, CP3, KG, Kidd, Nash, KD and these guys couldn't hang in the 90's.

I'm starting to lose a lot of respect for MJ. It's sad that he's been gone for such a long time but still putting people down in order to stay in the limelight. Damn man

stawka
02-16-2013, 08:08 PM
**** I'm surprised he didn't leave LeBron off his holy list just to spite him

popo85
02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I wonder where Dwight would of compared to the bigs in 90's probably most like Zo
Olajuwon
O'Neal
Ewing
Robinson
Mourning

ManRam
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
If it's "soooo much easier to score" in today's NBA, why aren't teams actually scoring more?

Why are FT/FGA numbers unchanged, or even lower on average, over the last 10 years compared to the 80s/90s? Hell, the FT/FGA ratio this year is about to be the lowest since NINETEEN SEVENTY THREE. But yeah, refs call EVERYTHING now and never called fouls in the past.

Why were leagues averaging 49% from the field in the early 80s? Compared to ~45% in recent years.

I can keep going. The stats suggest that it is NOT easier to score in today's NBA and that fouls are called at a lower rate.

But yeah, keep pretending like Charles Oakley and Bill Lambier would be keeping Dwyane Wade out of the league :laugh:

Bartlee23
02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
I think everyone really just doesn't get what Jordan is saying. Let me see if I can explain it in a different way to where more people may understand. Everyone no matter how old or young you are will always for the most part think your generation is the best. Take music for example.. people call Elvis the " King " of rock and roll or the Beatles as one of the all time greats. Others find their music horrible and love Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, etc.

Others think Pitbull, Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z are great but others can't stand them. It is basically human nature to tihnk your generation is the best. Remember those times when your Mom or Dad told you to ' turn that music down" or " what is that crap you are listening to?" It's a generation thing. If you were playing something from their generation they may actually listen to it.

Jordan played in a very tough era. Was it the best.... maybe not but it wasn't the worse. Today's NBA is a very offensive driven game today where everyone is looking to either dunk the ball or shoot three pointers. Players have definitely evolved but if you were around to actually witness when Jordan played ( not highlights ) and the eras before him, there was some really exciting basketball where there were actual rivalries and hatred throughout the league. Today everyone is friends and players are too money driven.

I don't agree with everything Jordan said because I believe their are many players that could have success when he played but at the same point I do understand what he's saying. Calling him " stupid " or saying he " doesn't know what he's talking about" isn't the correct way to view this. Believe what you want but Jordan is a pretty smart guy.He didn't achieve everything he did by accident.

LAcowBOMBER
02-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Is he counting KG, Duncan, and Shaq as his era? I also think Wade and Pierce would do fine, but again maybe he considers Pierce his era? I also just feel like mosts stars now would be stars then. I guess I really mean superstar, not just star

Cub_StuckinSTL
02-16-2013, 08:32 PM
wade would get abused back then

Supreme LA
02-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Paul Pierce
Jason Kidd
Kevin Garnett
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Ray Allen
Carmelo Anthony
Rajon Rondo
Dwayne Wade

He missed quite a few players. Jordan is extremely cocky. A lot of players could be successful in his era

Maybe MJ meant to say players that could possibly be successful against him???

ManRam
02-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Maybe MJ meant to say players that could possibly be successful against him???

I...don't...think...soo.....

Tysons_Beard
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
who gives a ****, its his opinion, we all have one

Mell413
02-16-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't agree with those that say Wade couldn't play back in Jordan's era. I think his game would translate in any era.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 09:16 PM
So basically he's saying, all the guys who were successful in their own rights during the 90's like Reggie, Barkley, Malone, Hardaway's, Dominique etc., would be a lot better than Wade, Melo, CP3, KG, Kidd, Nash, KD and these guys couldn't hang in the 90's.

I'm starting to lose a lot of respect for MJ. It's sad that he's been gone for such a long time but still putting people down in order to stay in the limelight. Damn man

Well, he just seems to be getting so defensive now. Its sad.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't agree with those that say Wade couldn't play back in Jordan's era. I think his game would translate in any era.

It's utterly moronic. It's not a matter of opinions either. If you think it is your entitled opinion, your opinion BLOWS.

Wade would be as good in any era as he is now.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 09:17 PM

It's utterly moronic. It's not a matter of opinions either. If you think it is your entitled opinion, your opinion BLOWS.

Mell413
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Also even as a bulls fan Jordan is a hard guy to like. He's just a sad and bitter man at this point. I'm competitive too so I can understand where Jordan is coming from but I'm in my 20s and he's 50. He has to let some things go. He's obviously got plenty of money so the comparison isn't exactly the same but he's almost the basketball version of the wrestler

D-Leethal
02-16-2013, 09:35 PM

I don't think Wade would be a scrub and I'm not necessarily saying he couldn't adapt and wouldn't be as good, but the hand checking rules specifically help guys with Wades skillset, who rely on getting to the rim for 90% of of their offense. It benefits guys with that type of attacking style, and makes it much easier to break the first line of defense and get to the rim. I am of the line of thinking that Wade is great enough to have adapted if he had to though. I just don't think the notion that he could have a little more difficulty is as moronic as you do.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 09:39 PM
I don't think Wade would be a scrub and I'm not necessarily saying he couldn't adapt and wouldn't be as good, but the hand checking rules specifically help guys with Wades skillset, who rely on getting to the rim for 90% of of their offense. It benefits guys with that type of attacking style, and makes it much easier to break the first line of defense and get to the rim. I am of the line of thinking that Wade is great enough to have adapted if he had to though. I just don't think the notion that he could have a little more difficulty is as moronic as you do.

I don't think, on a whole, perimeter defenders were as athletic then as they are now. I think Wade could get by that first level easier. I also think half court defenses, while not as "tough", are far more complex and difficult to navigate these days. Wade's tough. Oakley knocks him down, he'll pop back up. That's not a problem.

Wade's transition play in the 80s? :drool:

scottie
02-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Wade tries to emulate and be like Mike. Just think how many players wouldn't even be here if there was no Jordan to be like. That is crazy to think about.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
I mean, Wade is not a great shooter, but for his career it's not much worse than Jordan. And when his career is over their FT/FGA ratio will be nearly identical. I don't get the knock on Wade. He'd be fine in any era.

And again, I showed how FTs were doled out as much, if not more, in Jordan's era than they are now. It's not like he couldn't be successful by attacking the rim then. He'd be fine.

Bruno
02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
I mean, Wade is not a great shooter, but for his career it's not much worse than Jordan. And when his career is over their FT/FGA ratio will be nearly identical. I don't get the knock on Wade. He'd be fine in any era.

And again, I showed how FTs were doled out as much, if not more, in Jordan's era than they are now. It's not like he couldn't be successful by attacking the rim then. He'd be fine.

he would have been knocked on his *** a lot more often. his career wouldn't have lasted as long in the 80's. his high-flying attack style would have peaked out as high, it just wouldn't have lasted as long. those 80's style hits would have added up and been harder to take year in and year out than they do today.

Bruno
02-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Wade tries to emulate and be like Mike. Just think how many players wouldn't even be here if there was no Jordan to be like. That is crazy to think about.

they would have tried to be like Dr. J and Elgin Baylor. MJ was lucky enough to come along once the table was set nicely by Bird and Magic, but players had played like MJ before MJ; Michael was just better at it. those other players would have gotten the emulation credit with no MJ.

MJ is the GOAT but he also was lucky enough to come along at the perfect time, under perfect circumstances.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
he would have been knocked on his *** a lot more often. his career wouldn't have lasted as long in the 80's. his high-flying attack style would have peaked out as high, it just wouldn't have lasted as long. those 80's style hits would have added up and been harder to take year in and year out than they do today.

Wade is very talented however, I think he would have made an adjustment, and become a better shooter. But I do agree with you, his game as is would not have been more than a 8-9 year career back then.

Odominator
02-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Wade would probably have a more extensive injury history if he played in Jordan's Era, so MJ is right to exclude Wade.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm younger than you guys (Hawk at least), so I obviously missed most of Jordan's prime. But I've seen plenty of archives. Did he really attack the rim and live in the paint that much less than Wade currently does? What's the difference in their approach to offense that would have let Jordan play til he was 39 (i mean, he took breaks, so that's hard to say) but would render Wade out of the league in 9 years?

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm younger than you guys (Hawk at least), so I obviously missed most of Jordan's prime. But I've seen plenty of archives. Did he really attack the rim and live in the paint that much less than Wade currently does? What's the difference in their approach to offense that would have let Jordan play til he was 39 (i mean, he took breaks, so that's hard to say) but would render Wade out of the league in 9 years?

The difference was Jordan was taller, more athletic, and had bigger hands (and he ended up having the sickest midrange game in the league). Wade looks for contact. Always has. That is his game. Back in the day, it was simply a foul, not flagrant 1/2, blah, blah, blah. A flagrant was raping a dude. Like I said, I think Wade might very well have simply changed his game to fit the times, but he came into a league where it was a good thing to just throw yourself into the lane with no reservations. Back in the day, that did nothing for you.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 10:46 PM
The difference was Jordan was taller, more athletic, and had bigger hands (and he ended up having the sickest midrange game in the league). Wade looks for contact. Always has. That is his game. Back in the day, it was simply a foul, not flagrant 1/2, blah, blah, blah. A flagrant was raping a dude. Like I said, I think Wade might very well have simply changed his game to fit the times, but he came into a league where it was a good thing to just throw yourself into the lane with no reservations. Back in the day, that did nothing for you.

Works for me.

Except, while Wade is shorter (a few inches probably) he is certainly bigger than Jordan. He's probably got ~20 pounds of bulk on him. I'm just not sure that the contact would be that disruptive. It could be, and it might knock him out of the league earlier, but I don't think that when he's on the court he'd be any less the player.

Wade deep shot is poor, but he's solid from mid range.

But I agree with the general idea that the players of today are talented enough/athletic enough to assimilate to the earlier eras, and a lot of the stars of earlier eras are talented enough to assimilate to today's game.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Works for me.

Except, while Wade is shorter (a few inches probably) he is certainly bigger than Jordan. He's probably got ~20 pounds of bulk on him. I'm just not sure that the contact would be that disruptive. It could be, and it might knock him out of the league earlier, but I don't think that when he's on the court he'd be any less the player.

But I agree with the general idea that the players of today are talented enough/athletic enough to assimilate to the earlier eras, and a lot of the stars of earlier eras are talented enough to assimilate to today's game.

Jordan was also exponentially more athletic. But yes, I truly believe a great from an era would simply adjust, and still be bad ***.

ManRam
02-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Jordan was also exponentially more athletic. But yes, I truly believe a great from an era would simply adjust, and still be bad ***.

Well for sure he was more athletic. He's Michael freaking Jordan.

I just get this impression from people here that unless you weren't a great shooter from all spots on the court, you weren't going to succeed in earlier eras. And I don't buy that. It baffles me.

sosa
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
this arguement is dumb. if the criteria is who could physically make it in todays nba than how would guys like reggie evans, kendrick perkins, and jason maxiell not make it? if the criteria is guys who can take it physically and play then how would zbo, marc gasol, joakim noah, james harden, melo, pierce, and blake griffin not make it? and im not sure what jordan means when he says dirk could but kg couldnt. the title arguement is even dumber since nobody besides hakeem won a title in jordans era. and that was because he took the year off. the nba is way deeper now than it was then too.

b@llhog24
02-17-2013, 09:01 PM
It's not like players really played that long anyways, Bird and Magic only played around 12 years or so.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't think, on a whole, perimeter defenders were as athletic then as they are now. I think Wade could get by that first level easier. I also think half court defenses, while not as "tough", are far more complex and difficult to navigate these days. Wade's tough. Oakley knocks him down, he'll pop back up. That's not a problem.

Wade's transition play in the 80s? :drool:

Alex English was a twig compared to Wade, why would he be able to withstand hand checking but a 220 beast of a perimeter player cant shake it?

Chronz
02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Well for sure he was more athletic. He's Michael freaking Jordan.

I just get this impression from people here that unless you weren't a great shooter from all spots on the court, you weren't going to succeed in earlier eras. And I don't buy that. It baffles me.

Ironically those were the years when spacing was less influential.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Earl the Pearl says hello.

Basically a poor mans Wade physically and stylistically (slashing/athletic/ballhandling/combo guard types), your same logic applies when compared to the 80's, a tougher era yet he endured and lasted a long time.

Works for me.

They are romanticizing the frail 80's, the 60's/70's were more physical than the 80's, yet it didnt stop Earl Monroe from having a long/productive career.

Chronz
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
It's not like players really played that long anyways, Bird and Magic only played around 12 years or so.
Through their own negligence.

Does Wade get the benefit of transporting his approach to fitness and health? Or does he follow the line of thinking that working out or wearing a rubber wasn't as important

Chronz
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Whenever this question arises, I wonder why people dont just look at transitive examples.

Lets put it this way, do you guys think VC would have an easier time adjusting to the 90's than Wade would?

Because for a brief stretch, VC was at one point a top tier swing, at the very least, the level of a Grant Hill. VC was doing this in the era BEFORE Hand Checking and unlike MJ, AFTER Zones were legalized.

Looking at a guy like VC, I see no reason why getting rid of zones and going back athletically a few years would hurt him. Grant Hill likewise played in the same era as VC AND MJ and looked no different. What exactly makes Wade stand out?

BKLYNpigeon
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I think CP3 can hold his own in any era.

Who gives a crap what Jordan says. its not like his A S S can evaluate talent (bobcats).

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Whenever this question arises, I wonder why people dont just look at transitive examples.

Lets put it this way, do you guys think VC would have an easier time adjusting to the 90's than Wade would?

Because for a brief stretch, VC was at one point a top tier swing, at the very least, the level of a Grant Hill. VC was doing this in the era BEFORE Hand Checking and unlike MJ, AFTER Zones were legalized.

Looking at a guy like VC, I see no reason why getting rid of zones and going back athletically a few years would hurt him. Grant Hill likewise played in the same era as VC AND MJ. What exactly makes Wade stand out?

Wade is better than VC though.

Sactown
02-17-2013, 10:46 PM
LOL, funny to listen to the players respond to it.. What a bunch of *****es... Except for Tim Duncan

Chronz
02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Wade is better than VC though.

Thats partly why I feel he would have an easier time adapting. My point was that VC thrived in an era before Handchecking, so why would Wade struggle.

b@llhog24
02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Through their own negligence.

Does Wade get the benefit of transporting his approach to fitness and health? Or does he follow the line of thinking that working out or wearing a rubber wasn't as important

Probably not.

OceanSpray
02-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Thats partly why I feel he would have an easier time adapting. My point was that VC thrived in an era before Handchecking, so why would Wade struggle.

Muggsy played for like 15 years in the "greatest" era ever. It's silly to say Wade, Rose, CP3, Durant, Kobe can't play in it.

KniCks4LiFe
02-17-2013, 11:06 PM
that's a slap to the face of Melo. And he's signed on his brand. We ain't letting this fly in NY, Uh uh.

Sactown
02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
that's a slap to the face of Melo. And he's signed on his brand. We ain't letting this fly in NY, Uh uh.
What are you guys going to do? Beat the bobcats :D

KniCks4LiFe
02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
What are you guys going to do? Beat the bobcats :D

senseless. :cool:

Sactown
02-17-2013, 11:11 PM
senseless. :cool:

WHAT?! The last team to obliterate the Bobcats was.... THE LAST TEAM THEY PLAYED :laugh2: talk about Mission impossible TO FAIL!

Chronz
02-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Muggsy played for like 15 years in the "greatest" era ever. It's silly to say Wade, Rose, CP3, Durant, Kobe can't play in it.

Mugsey didn't take hits and nobody bothered hand checking him anyways. But when talking about high impact players, its obviously not this huge leap people want it to be. The 90's may have been more physical, but the older eras always are, doesn't mean technique/skills dont improve.

sventhedog
02-18-2013, 07:08 AM
he mentioned great players.

he is the greatest player ever but his eye on talent is far below average. so it's up to you if you'll believe him.

Teufelshunde4
02-18-2013, 08:32 AM

You simply dont know enough about those era's my friend...The game is different now then it was then.. How the league refs call game are vastly different..
Those Knick who you say sucked played excellent fundamental basketball and rock solid team D. They milked every ounce of effort and talent out of themselves.. Very few teams can say that now a days..
And I grew up a Bulls fan, just so you dont get to thinking I am a Knicks fan....

PhillyOwnsAll
02-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Allen Iverson can compete in any era!!

savimoosavi
02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Hahahaha! Yeah, Michael isn't much of a talent evaluator. Durant, CP3, Westbrook, Melo, WADE!? Physically, I think it'd be harder for those players to play in this era. They're bigger, faster, and stronger now than they were then. When you watch the classic games, I feel like they're playing in slow motion. They just weren't as athletic and it's because of the advancements in sports medicine and training IMO.

AIRMAR72
02-18-2013, 02:10 PM
and Wade, and Melo and CP3

rondo, paul pierce,zack randolph and millsap would be possible starters backthan

OceanSpray
02-18-2013, 02:13 PM
MJ is too full of himself that he wants to boost his morality by saying his era would be impossible to play in for the present stars. Muggsy, 5"3, played for 14 years. To say that Melo, Rose, CP3, Wade, Howard, Tony Parker, and a bunch of 100 guys who can't play is just him being delusional.

mjt20mik
02-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry but KD and Wade would die against hand checking. KD would get bullied like no tomorrow, and Wade wouldn't be able to get the ticky tacky fouls he gets.

I do believe Melo, KG and CP would be able to play in his era.

siix
02-18-2013, 10:31 PM
im shocked that brian scalabrine isn't on the list.

jerellh528
02-19-2013, 06:05 AM
wade would be garbage

KingstonHawke
02-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Love how everyone will try to make sense of his nonsense just because he was a great basketball player. Jordan has a well documented history of being an idiot. Let's all just accept that he is what he is and stop paying attention to him.

STA_PLAR
02-19-2013, 07:41 AM
when mike says something it's law. i'm not being sarcastic either. haha

MetroMan
02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Mike is right. Should have included during but what ever

GrumpyOldMan
02-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Jordan should just let people assume he is a poor evaluator of talent instead of opening his mouth and proving their point.
He was the best player ever, but I think statements like this are nuts. There are plenty of guys today who would have been great during any era. Durant, CP3, Howard, Melo, among others would have been great during Jordan's era.

c.c.
02-19-2013, 08:36 PM
MJ is my dude but this statement is very disrespectful to a lot players.

DR_1
02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Well he is right in saying there are only a few players who could have gone against the greats from back in the 90s. There was no better basketball era than the 90s.