PDA

View Full Version : The NBA schedule

xRipCity
02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
This post is nothing more than me venting about some team's philosophies.
To me, the Spurs are the very best at mastering the NBA schedule.

Why do teams go all out against good teams and then take games off versus bad teams? I think if you have four or five games in a week, you should go ahead and cut your losses and rest your guys on a game you know it would be tough to win, and have fresh legs for the other games.

I'm tired of seeing teams go all out against teams like the Heat, and then losing against a below 500 team due to fatigue. If you beat the Heat... great. Then lose to a team like the Wizards? Guess what, you just went 1-1, doesn't matter which one you won or lost. I know you should go 100% percent to win any game, but in this league I feel sometimes you need to cut your losses and make sure to win the easy ones.

The only explanation I have is for media concerns? Or practice for playing at a higher level for later (postseason) matchups?

sodaddicted
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Well the Spurs do it because

-They flame out in 2008-2011 playoffs (including injuries). Going too hard in the season with a vet team is/was the glaring issue and Pop re-adjusted.
-They are good enough to still make a top4 seed in the playoffs if they "throw" 5-10 games in the season (though they still win some of these).
-Not a high market team, no everyday-media-pressure on Pop when doing it, and the fans approve of it because it will help come playoffs.

If the Spurs were in the Lakers shoes right now, they would NOT be doing that. And I think that's the main difference.

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't like what the Spurs are doing. They pick games they want to win and lose the one's they care less about. It's understandable that it's careful planning by Pop, but it's really distasteful for fans who want to watch the SAS play against top teams. To me, you should play to win 100% of the time.

SteBO
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
^While this is true, you're still looking at it from a fans perspective. What guys like Pop are suppose to do is adjust to the rigorous schedules and do what's in the best interest for his team. If the league hates this so damn much, reduce the length of the regular season. Otherwise, we're just going to go through the same process over and over again....

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 05:32 PM
^While this is true, you're still looking at it from a fans perspective. What guys like Pop are suppose to do is adjust to the rigorous schedules and do what's in the best interest for his team. If the league hates this so damn much, reduce the length of the regular season. Otherwise, we're just going to go through the same process over and over again....

Why should they reduce the length of a season? That's the downside of signing veteran players. I'm not saying SAS is wrong for doing it. As a fans point of view and someone who is trying to make money, SAS are nitpicking games that they find are playable.

Phenomenonsense
02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Why should they reduce the length of a season? That's the downside of signing veteran players. I'm not saying SAS is wrong for doing it. As a fans point of view and someone who is trying to make money, SAS are nitpicking games that they find are playable.

I don't think you and whoever you're talking to are disagreeing, I just think they see it logically and offer suggestions of how to make it less needed in the future and you want it your way or the highway while offering no solutions.