PDA

View Full Version : OKC does not know how to use Martin

poleandreel
02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
I saw something that OKC is like 21-1 when Martin scores 16+. But there have been so many games where he gets less than 8 shots. Countless times he gets like 5 or so. He has been efficient as anyone in the league (even more so than steph curry who has been widely regarded as an all star this year).

If Martin got more shots OKC would be better and he would be an All Star. Should Brooks make strategic plays to get him the ball? Seems like a fail on the coaching staff since nobody's 3rd best player should ever take low single-digit shot attempts.

boateng
02-15-2013, 09:16 AM
No he is just not as good as Harden

Can't run an offence like Harden. Can't pass like Harden etc..

Harden is an all star calibre player/ Martin is not full stop/

Swashcuff
02-15-2013, 09:23 AM
24-3

Swashcuff
02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
No he is just not as good as Harden

Can't run an offence like Harden. Can't pass like Harden etc..

Harden is an all star calibre player/ Martin is not full stop/

That's not the issue the issue is fit more than calibre. In a bench capacity the best players in the NBA could be a poor fit for whatever team he's on. The added spacing that Martin has given the Thunder this season has added another dynamic to their offense. One of the major reasons why they are a much improved offensive team this season even without Harden. Many of KDs early season assists and Westbrook's assists this entire season has been to a corner/elbow jumper by Martin. He has help make this Thunder team better offensively than they've ever been and in turn helping KD and Westy as well.

justinnum1
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
I thought okc looked the best last night with Jackson running point and westbrick playing off the ball.

Jackson
Westbrick
Martin
Kd
Ibaka

Is what I would like to see more of.

Also, it's painful watchin okc game. Took like 3 hours and okc just lives on the free throw line.

Swashcuff
02-15-2013, 10:15 AM
I thought okc looked the best last night with Jackson running point and westbrick playing off the ball.

Jackson
Westbrick
Martin
Kd
Ibaka

Also, it's painful watchin okc game. Took like 3 hours and okc just lives on the free throw line.

That's a major reason why they have the best offense in the league. I'm sure if it were the Heat it wouldn't be painful for you to watch. You'd love it if Bron and Wade were getting more trips to the line.

boateng
02-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Jackson
Westbrick
Martin
Kd
Ibaka

Dwayne Wade won 1 of his rings by living on the free throw line

Kettle Pottle Black.

Carey
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
This is true, Brooks hasnt really done anything to maximize Martin's effectiveness. He's not a great iso player or attack player off the dribble but he can be very effective off screens and pin downs as well as hitting the open shots that he does. He essential gets put on the floor and forced to find his own way right now. Hopefully over the break Brooks finds some ways to get him more involved but what is puzzling is you literally do the same things we did to get KD open.

parrwh
02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I saw something that OKC is like 21-1 when Martin scores 16+. But there have been so many games where he gets less than 8 shots. Countless times he gets like 5 or so. He has been efficient as anyone in the league (even more so than steph curry who has been widely regarded as an all star this year).

If Martin got more shots OKC would be better and he would be an All Star. Should Brooks make strategic plays to get him the ball? Seems like a fail on the coaching staff since nobody's 3rd best player should ever take low single-digit shot attempts.

Thank you for this post I been telling people this all this time its a shame too im a Thunder fan too but its a shame how they don't use him and get him involved. Brooks treats him as if he is a rookie or something and like he hasnt been in the league for almost 10 years and I think he is one and done and teams would do anything to have him on their team like Celtics Lakers even the heat would let go of Miller for him its a shame KMart should be averaging 20 plus easily but its Brooks he's to stubborn to see it or change it OVERRATED COACH

Red_Pill
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM

More fun than watching Miami hack away and the refs turning a blind eye. Or watching them run the same play over and over. Dribble. Drive. Kick out. Three pointer. Gets old.

BGeer091
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
I've noticed this too. He should be used like Ray, and Rip get used. Or how Rip used to get used. I'm not a believer in OKC as a championship team. I feel like they have so much in a positive way they don't know what to do with it. I think they need to make a trade for a strong leader veteran like K.G. They have made a few bad moves in my opinion. Also IMO a few bad no moves meaning they should have traded for CP3 and didnt. I like OKC though, I just not sure they are ready to win a title yet. I also think Brooks is overrated.

Swashcuff
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I've noticed this too. He should be used like Ray, and Rip get used. Or how Rip used to get used. I'm not a believer in OKC as a championship team. I feel like they have so much in a positive way they don't know what to do with it. I think they need to make a trade for a strong leader veteran like K.G. They have made a few bad moves in my opinion. Also IMO a few bad no moves meaning they should have traded for CP3 and didnt. I like OKC though, I just not sure they are ready to win a title yet. I also think Brooks is overrated.

Cool.

So what teams in the NBA you think are ready to win a title?

beasted86
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
More fun than watching Miami hack away and the refs turning a blind eye. Or watching them run the same play over and over. Dribble. Drive. Kick out. Three pointer. Gets old.

If their offense were that simple we'd be the Cleveland Cavaliers not the Miami HEAT. You need to watch with a closer eye how much ball movement, and off the ball movement is involved in the offense Miami runs.

Baller1
02-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Brooks is garbage, been saying it for years now. :shrug:

kdspurman
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM

I think some Thunder fans will agree with you on that.

They're definitely lacking "something". I think some of it is the coach, and the kind of offense (or lack their of) that they run. There needs to be different schemes run, and keep the defense honest. Someone who can get in the post every now and control the pace. Mainly against the better defensive teams. They'd probably beat most teams, but the wrong team/matchup (like Miami) is where they would need to game plan a little better.

Unless of course Durant has it going which he does very frequently, but even that might not be enough at times.

Swift Game
02-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Martin is not really a great player. Even his best days in Sacramento were spotty. Not a great defender and has trouble with physical defense. Nice jump shot and has trouble creating his own shot and shots for others. All of the things described James Harden covered and was good at. Horrible trade imo, and they should have paid him the addittional 3-4 million per year.

This is why they cannot beat Miami. Miami's defense really exposed OKC last night and harden would have made the difference at any shot at a title.

heyman321
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
OKC won't win a championship as long as Lebron is in his prime.

Red_Pill
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
OKC won't win a championship as long as Lebron is in his prime.

OKC can beat ANY other team. Except Miami. All it takes is someone to beat the Heat. The Knicks, Bulls, and Indiana are capable.

flea
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
The Thunder would be great in the triangle offense - especially guys like Martin and Ibaka. It's too bad they don't use it.

Blitzbolt
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Not only Kevin Martin the play one on one Basketball and the coach calls 0 plays I think the coach needs to get fire ASAP.His x and Os are really bad.

poleandreel
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Martin has been very good defensively and has taken his super decreased minutes like a true professional (around 28mpg which is stupid to begin with).

He also hasn't complained once that he gets no shots. It must be super annoying watching Westy throw up shot after shot when you know you can score much more efficiently. As for brooks, he is the reason. His end of game plays are terrible. His usage of serge and martin are terrible. It took him 4 years to find out how to use Durant effectively as well. We need a coach that lets Russell be the great player that he is but will also get on his *** when he is going 7-27. Westy has been great this year in terms of passing, but the sad thing is that he can easily average 13+ assists just in the flow of the offense if he dialed down just abit on the shot attempts.

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
It's all Westbrook's fault. Too much ballhogging, not enough passing to open teammates. Miami showed how bad their flaws are against them.

LAKobeBryant
02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't think OKC can make it to the finals. Like Kenny Smith said their missing Harden a play maker and can get to the rim at will. Right now they have 3 shooters on a team and two defensive big mans. That's disaster if you cannot make a shot like yesterday.

LAKobeBryant
02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
OKC can beat ANY other team. Except Miami. All it takes is someone to beat the Heat. The Knicks, Bulls, and Indiana are capable.

Hoping your not going to play a certain team isn't going win you a championship.