PDA

View Full Version : Whats more important an MVP or a Championship in the NBA ?

Eagles710
02-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Okay Reason i bring this question up, Is Because jordan made a comment recently saying.. Ill take Kobe over Lebron, Last i checked 5 Championships are better then 1 ... Okay Yes i agree 5 championships are better then 1 Perfect Sense to Mr MJ , but i wanna show some stats.

Lebron 3 Mvp's
Kobe 1 Mvp

Lebron 1 title
Kobe 5 titles

Lebron 1 title
Robert Horry 7 titles!

Lebron 1 title
adam morrison 1 title

by most people's answer on how you value a players legacy is based on winning titles. Which to me Makes no sense at all. if it was 1v1 basketball game, i get it 100% , Problem is its not ITS A TEAM SPORT!

So brings me this question, if the MVP TROPHY is for the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER .. Meaning THE BEST! hence the words "MOST VALUABLE" how can people say " All that matters is championships " to me looking at a players rings before he stats, is crazy because all it means, is he had a better team around him... and i know this gets said alot on PSD , but again... There has never been a one star team, that won a championship. So IMO it would make more sense to base a players Legacy on MVP's instead of Championships... What you guys think?

krrys11
02-15-2013, 05:26 AM
IMO it is Championships...but, yes there is a but:
You need to be a top 3 player in the team.

What I mean is for example as you posted Adam Morrison championship is not really him who made it. It was mostly work of Kobe as a Star.

So for example LBJ throphy (aka ring) is much more valuble than Adam's as he was the one who carried the team.

Being an MVP means you are a amazing player but without the ring it shows you cannot carry your team all the way and thats why IMO Championships are more valuable.

this is just my opinion tho ;)

Andrew32
02-15-2013, 05:43 AM
A players legacy is built on his performances more then it is built on

Rings (a team accomplishment)
or
MVPs (a subjective media given award).

Yes a player needs to win 1-2 Rings to prove they can get it done (perform) at all levels but outside of that I don't think Rings matter that much.

Money_23
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM
championships are the most important.

Slug3
02-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I think when you start to make you name as a top 10-20 best player of all time the ring count really does matter.

ManRam
02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Obviously the ultimate goal for any player in winning a ring. For them, that's probably (should be) more important.

In terms of legacy, I'm not certain. Winning rings is heavily team-dependent, thus using it to compare individuals can be a bit misleading. A lot of context needs to be included when discussing the amount of rings players have. The MVP is a media award, and often isn't going to the best player, so it can be misleading too.

Minimal
02-15-2013, 11:24 AM

or

Yes a player needs to win 1-2 Rings to prove they can get it done (perform) at all levels but outside of that I don't think Rings matter that much.
This

Big Zo
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Steve Kerr is better than Shaq

waveycrockett
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Easily an MVP. There are 15 guys every year who get a ring.

Eagles710
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
^^^^

I-4_Fan
02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Is this real????

Hands down, the ring means more. If the MVPs meant more then James would of stayed in Cleveland. People don't scream about getting that MVP, but they kiss that trophy and throw those ring fingers up.

MVPs are special. But I bet if you ask any NBA player. They would rather have one ring then 5 MVPs.

To me, to be the best player or even 2nd best player on a team that wins Championships is ten times better then winning an MVP. You don't see parades for the MVP who doesn't win a ring.

Eagles710
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Is this real????

Hands down, the ring means more. If the MVPs meant more then James would of stayed in Cleveland. People don't scream about getting that MVP, but they kiss that trophy and throw those ring fingers up.

MVPs are special. But I bet if you ask any NBA player. They would rather have one ring then 5 MVPs.

To me, to be the best player or even 2nd best player on a team that wins Championships is ten times better then winning an MVP. You don't see parades for the MVP who doesn't win a ring.

i get what you are saying, and i agree with you... but what is more important to a players legacy.... For instance alot of people say LeBron wont be better then kobe/jordan etc, Cause he has to get 5-6 , and if he does not , that he is not the better player.... to me that is the dumbest statement, cause it makes no sense at all... i agree to a player, they probably want a championship alot more then a MVP ... but why does kobe only have 1 MVP ? if he is the BETTER player

BALLER R
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
There's more than that. It's about the rings in addition to your contribution to that said ring. If you were finals MVP I would rather have that than regular season MVP.

But I also think Lebron will have more MVP than rings.

BALLER R
02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
i get what you are saying, and i agree with you... but what is more important to a players legacy.... For instance alot of people say LeBron wont be better then kobe/jordan etc, Cause he has to get 5-6 , and if he does not , that he is not the better player.... to me that is the dumbest statement, cause it makes no sense at all... i agree to a player, they probably want a championship alot more then a MVP ... but why does kobe only have 1 MVP ? if he is the BETTER player

Kobe had more competition. Lebron doesn't.

heyman321
02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Easily an MVP. There are 15 guys every year who get a ring.

Irrefutable logic right here. You guys are stupid for even thinking otherwise.

DITKA4GOV
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Is this real????

^^^^^THIS!!!

LBJ would have won at least 1 more MVP if in Cleveland still. Who knows, maybe he would have won a ring as well. We will never know. MVP is great, but being a go-to guy on a team that wins a ring is more important!

DaBUU
02-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Not sure the age of OP, but this thread and thread topic is really an indictment on this generations 'me first' mentality.

Eagles710
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Not sure the age of OP, but this thread and thread topic is really an indictment on this generations 'me first' mentality.

okay 26 lol

but i have no idea what you are talking about THIS GENERATIONS ME FIRST MENTALITY... Im Not sure what nba you are watching? there is not alot of ME FIRST players. matter of fact there was more me first players 10-12 years ago then today?

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Charles Barkley imo is a top 10 player. Since he has no rings, he's not even considered the top 20 in some lists.

Lol @ the guy who said Kobe had more competition... Shaq was the competition and he was on Kobe's team.

Eagles710
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Charles Barkley imo is a top 10 player. Since he has no rings, he's not even considered the top 20 in some lists.

Lol @ the guy who said Kobe had more competition... Shaq was the competition and he was on Kobe's team.

agreed lol, The only competition was kobe and shaq .... Today There are 3x more superstars in todays game

xRipCity
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Here's the distribution in 1 NBA season.
1 MVP. 15 Rings.

xRipCity
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
And for those of you hating on Bron in Cleveland... Jordan didn't win anything till he had Pippen. Bron + wade (Pippen?) = ring

Eagles710
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
And for those of you hating on Bron in Cleveland... Jordan didn't win anything till he had Pippen. Bron + wade (Pippen?) = ring

THIS^^^ X1000

i find it crazy that people say " Its not even close lebron will never be jordan " People talk like jordan never missed a shot lol, all they watch is youtube highlights

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
THIS^^^ X1000

i find it crazy that people say " Its not even close lebron will never be jordan " People talk like jordan never missed a shot lol, all they watch is youtube highlights

There are some who think he can still play competitively in the NBA right now and score 15 PPG.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
as stated, 1 player wins the MVP, 15 players win a championship. The MVP holds a bit more weight, but I think if you polled the players, winning a ring may be the most important, so I guess its all a matter of perspective.

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 03:08 PM
I like the Finals MVP comparisons.

beasted86
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM

or

+1

TheNumber37
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't know, Let's ask Karl Malone, Barley, Nash or Iverson.

TheNumber37
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Jordan didn't GO to a team that feautred 3 of the top 5 draft picks from his own draft.

This would be like teaming up with Hakeem and Barley to play in Houston.
Also, when Pippen came to the Bulls he hadn't already been a finals MVP and wasn't a top 5 player himself.

OceanSpray
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Jordan didn't GO to a team that feautred 3 of the top 5 draft picks from his own draft.

Also, when Pippen came to the Bulls he hadn't already been a finals MVP and wasn't a top 5 player himself.

Jordan didn't have to go to a team because his the Bulls management managed to get him help instead of what LeBron went through. 7 years of that craphole and they got him Antawn Jamison and Shaq? Out of all the free agents, they couldn't sign anyone who was better?

Sure, individually Wade and Bosh might be better than Pippen and Rodman. But the fact is if you're LeBron or Jordan, you benefit with Pippen and Rodman more because they do the dirty work that you don't have to.

Pippen could defend and was like a mini LeBron.
Rodman was a great defender and arguably the best rebounder in NBA history.

Wade nor Bosh do anything better than LeBron.

And I also disagree with "Jordan didn't go" argument. He lost the year he came back and the Bulls managed to get Rodman.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Jordan, Kobe, Duncan, Bird, Magic, these guys didn't need to go anywhere, their front office furnished them with championship help on the roster and the coaching staff. That argument has become such weak sauce dude, that he left. Get over it. Would you have preferred he stay in Cleveland and had a zero ring career? Cause that is what would have happened, Cleveland is a horrible front office.

LeperMessiah
02-15-2013, 03:36 PM
it would be NBA since there's 1 per, then I guess All-NBA teams :shrug: