PDA

View Full Version : Would Lebron James have been a better football player?

YouCan'tBeatLA
02-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Serious question, not even joking in the slightest. He played WR in HS, and I'm only not sure about how good he is in running routes. BUT... Lebron does have a 44" inch vertical, is built, and apparently, can run a 40 as quick as 4.4 seconds. That's unheard of in the NFL to be that tall, that built, that athletic, and especially, have that kind of speed. So, what do you guys think?

Personally, I think he would have been a better football player than basketball.

LakersMaster24
02-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Most likely. Doubt he plays better than Nerses though.

YouCan'tBeatLA
02-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Most likely. Doubt he plays better than Nerses though.

Most def.

IKnowHoops
02-15-2013, 02:31 AM
If he has hands and the football attitude too, then he has all the physical tools to be the best wr ever. I bet at his fastest he could of clocked sub 4.3

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Considering he will probably end up top 2-7 all time in basketball, the chances say no.

Chill_Will_24
02-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Quite possibly. I mean who in the hell would take him down once he gets going?

YouCan'tBeatLA
02-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Considering he will probably end up top 2-7 all time in basketball, the chances say no.

He could very well have been the G.O.A.T. in football.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 02:43 AM

we are talking percentages, and in a sport where injuries are prevalent.

YouCan'tBeatLA
02-15-2013, 02:47 AM

True. However, with his size and speed, injuries won't be something he would have to worry about. Especially since he's missed, what, 20 games in 10 seasons in the NBA? With half of them not being injury related? In short, LeBron is a tank.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2013, 02:54 AM
True. However, with his size and speed, injuries won't be something he would have to worry about. Especially since he's missed, what, 20 games in 10 seasons in the NBA? With half of them not being injury related? In short, LeBron is a tank.

Look, I am not disagreeing with you, just the statistics. Football is a brutal sport, filled with injuries. Chances are much slimmer LeBron owns football like he does basketball. That is all I am saying. I mean, Kevin Love might have been the best QB ever with that outlet pass/gun, but I just don't know.

DumDum
02-15-2013, 03:00 AM
NFL thread

sixer04fan
02-15-2013, 03:04 AM
A better football player? Nah.

Sure, he could've dominated... But to be a "better football player," he'd have to be one of, if not the best football player of all time. So no. Especially with all the uncertainty in an NFL player's career: career length, injuries, concussions, etc.

JEDean89
02-15-2013, 04:29 AM
maybe if lebron played alongside a great quarterback like drew brees he would have but if he had played with a subpar qb his talent wouldn't have been as impressive. in basketball, 1 player can dominate, football has a lot more variables.

eso
02-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Lebron plays Basketball?

thenaj17
02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
maybe if lebron played alongside a great quarterback like drew brees he would have but if he had played with a subpar qb his talent wouldn't have been as impressive. in basketball, 1 player can dominate, football has a lot more variables.

Very much this. NFL has so many players on each team, 3 phases and LeBron would be heavily reliant on a QB.

WR's as great as some are never get all the focus as it's a QB league + Adrian Peterson.

Maybe LeBron could play some CB too like Edelman has for Patriots at times. He would have to excel at both positions and play a lot of snaps (which he probably could do).

Basketball, it's easier to stand out as a star no matter the position you play

dhopisthename
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM

to add to this he wouldn't be a quarterback which would make it near impossible to be better

LongIslandIcedZ
02-15-2013, 11:29 AM
He could easily go down the second best player to ever play the game. Unless he goes down one of the 10-15 best players in the history of the NFL, then I'd say he made the right career choice.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-15-2013, 11:34 AM

This. He's won how many MVPs in the NBA? And to think he could do better in the NFL is just ludicrous.

ManRam
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
To be a better football player he'd have to be the best NFL player there is. Dude's already probably a top 10-12 player all time in the NBA. To say he'd be better at the NFL is expecting a lot...and expecting things we have no idea his capable of. Too many unknowns. Too many variables at play here.

I can't reasonably say that he'd be better...that's not the safe guess. In fact, I think it's crazy to say that he would be.

Red_Pill
02-15-2013, 12:02 PM

Statistically, basketball has more injuries than football.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
To be a better football player he'd have to be the best NFL player there is. Dude's already probably a top 10-12 player all time in the NBA. To say he'd be better at the NFL is expecting a lot...and expecting things we have no idea his capable of. Too many unknowns. Too many variables at play here.

I can't reasonably say that he'd be better...that's not the safe guess. In fact, I think it's crazy to say that he would be.

That was my initial reaction, but there are so many more players in the NFL, so I figured if he was like top 10 or so than it would be the same.

haggis
02-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Not as a WR or TE. Don't have the chance to impact the game enough to be considered GOAT.

This.

Statistically, basketball has more injuries than football.

The average NBA career is longer than the NFL.

3.5 years for the NFL, 4.8 years for NBA.

Big Zo
02-15-2013, 12:14 PM
If LeBron was a football player, Jerry Rice would probably try to downplay his legacy right now. :D

Red_Pill
02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
The average NBA career is longer than the NFL.

3.5 years for the NFL, 4.8 years for NBA.

And that changes the fact that basketball players are injured more often how? The only thing that you're stating is that either NFL players get cut from the teams easier and can't make another roster or that they suffer career ending injuries at a higher rate. That still doesn't change the FACT that basketball players get injured more often.

blahblahyoutoo
02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
he would not have been as dominant in football as he is in bball.
he's carrying teams on his shoulders and winning games by himself. can't do that in fb.

Rain City
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
lebron's athletic prowess i think he definitely coulda translated and been just as physically dominant in FB, could prolly put him on ST and change games in the FG kicking game and a specialty defensive player as well as best WR/TE in the game easy.

however, lebron isnt only physically dominant in bball but his IQ is also best in the game and im not sure he has that same advantage in FB.

also, a 6ft9 guy presents a huge target to get hit so i think in FB he has a much more difficult time staying healthy. i love this discussion tho.

85BearsDefense
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Quite possibly. I mean who in the hell would take him down once he gets going?

Um anyone?

LBj would not be a good football player. His 40 is timed at I believe 4.6 or 4.7 not that fast and let's be real here he's never been hit... hS football is nothing.

85BearsDefense
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
he would not have been as dominant in football as he is in bball.
he's carrying teams on his shoulders and winning games by himself. can't do that in fb.

Talk to Adrian Peterson.

trojanman14
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
because he is the best in basketball it would be hard to be BETTER than he is now, but he sure would be amazing he would make gronk and megatron look weak

haggis
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
And that changes the fact that basketball players are injured more often how? The only thing that you're stating is that either NFL players get cut from the teams easier and can't make another roster or that they suffer career ending injuries at a higher rate. That still doesn't change the FACT that basketball players get injured more often.

Where are you getting those numbers from?

From the 144 page Congressional Research Service Report:

NFL injury rate was nearly eight times higher than that of any other commercial sports league, according to the U.S. Department of Labor and that includes the National Hockey League, the National Basketball Association, and professional auto racing.

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1530&context=key_workplace

Chronz
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
In basketball the individual can have a bigger impact on a team. And since impact is the barometer for greatness, I say F NO.