PDA

View Full Version : How the Spurs contained Kyrie Irving

kdspurman
02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
This is a really good read from last nights game. (Feel free to move to Spurs forum) but I thought from a basketball point of view, the way they sort of schemed/prepared for him defensively was really impressive, especially when broken down. The link includes illustrations to go along with the schemes.

This was Irving's line last night:
2-15 from the field, six points, two free throw attempts, seven assists, two turnovers, five personal fouls, zero field goals in the game's final 40 minutes.

Irving's had a few duds in a remarkable one-and-a-half year career, but never has he been that bad in a game. Why did he play so poorly? Watching the tape, it's clear the Spurs had a sound defensive strategy that they executed to perfection.
The key to containing Irving is to, literally, contain him. He's too good a ball-handler to pressure too closely, and he's also too good a shooter to just lay off. The only way you have a chance is to box him in between the three-point line and the basket and force him to shoot mid-range jumpers. You have to do this with all five defenders chipping in, not with just one guy.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/14/3988422/kyrie-irving-san-antonio-spurs-defense-2013/in/3750245

NYJ - NYY
02-14-2013, 03:03 PM
leave it to pop...

ottograham14
02-14-2013, 04:00 PM
It helps when he looked disinterested the entire game as well as passive and playing with a sprained ankle during the game but yes he was shut down last night. That wasn't regular KI though.

TP played better but last night was an anomaly of KI. Putting extra defenders and boxing any player in is going to help contain a player and usually KI drives, dribbles and spins out of those. Last night he did not and settled too much on his jumper. It happens. Moving on.

kdspurman
02-14-2013, 04:10 PM
It helps when he looked disinterested the entire game as well as passive and playing with a sprained ankle during the game but yes he was shut down last night. That wasn't regular KI though.

TP played better but last night was an anomaly of KI. Putting extra defenders and boxing any player in is going to help contain a player and usually KI drives, dribbles and spins out of those. Last night he did not and settled too much on his jumper. It happens. Moving on.

Yea, I know he wasn't his best. I just thought the scheme they put out there for him was impressive. But he definitely wasn't in full on attack mode like we've seen him recently.

JiffyMix88
02-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Very nice scheme and nice website to show the pictures on what they are talking about. Very informative.

ottograham14
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Yea, I know he wasn't his best. I just thought the scheme they put out there for him was impressive. But he definitely wasn't in full on attack mode like we've seen him recently.

We gotta realize too that the kid is only 20 years old, just last week got over a full 82 games for his career due to the lockout last year, and is playing on a team that doesn't give him a lot of support. I'll give him off nights like last night. Hopefully he doesn't play too much in the Rising stars game as he looks like he needs a break especially with the ankle and will still have to do the 3-pt and All-Star game. Full week for the kid.

Sick Signature btw.

kobe4thewinbang
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Those pictures show why Irving needs to become a better passer. The likes of Rondo or Paul could've made those tough passes to cutters and corner shooters.

Fired-Up
02-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Spurs are still the best organization in the league.

kdspurman
02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
We gotta realize too that the kid is only 20 years old, just last week got over a full 82 games for his career due to the lockout last year, and is playing on a team that doesn't give him a lot of support. I'll give him off nights like last night. Hopefully he doesn't play too much in the Rising stars game as he looks like he needs a break especially with the ankle and will still have to do the 3-pt and All-Star game. Full week for the kid.

Sick Signature btw.

And yea when I read that 82 game thing I had to go back and read it again cause I was kinda shocked. I have no doubt he's going to be a star for many years to come. I mean what he's doing at his age now is impressive. We already know he can show up in the clutch, and score at will. I would expect something like last night probably won't work all the time on him, cause he'd be able to read the game better as he matures, and his BBIQ will only improve further.

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Kyrie Irving is going to have a short career; trust me. The way he is always injured and his Dwyane Wade style like plays, he's going to start declining fast. Not saying he won't be the best in a few years, just saying he'll be injured often.

IndyRealist
02-14-2013, 05:17 PM
They've been doing this to Kobe for years.

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I have to say, Popovich is probably the MVP of the SAS. Didn't he win with his bench players against Chicago?

yanksrock
02-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Love uncle Drew but leave to Pops.

kdspurman
02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I have to say, Popovich is probably the MVP of the SAS. Didn't he win with his bench players against Chicago?

Yea.. This read on it was maybe even more impressive than the one on Kyrie.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/12/3980098/san-antonio-spurs-offense-tim-duncan-tony-parker-manu-ginobili

blahblahyoutoo
02-14-2013, 05:45 PM

almost beat my heat too.

Sly Guy
02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
this is typical pop though. He designs his defenses to take mid range jumpers and tries to cut out 3's and layups. He plays the percentages that way. But based on a few [not all] of these examples, Kyrie could have gotten a 3 off with duncan staying that far back with parker screened [unless I'm missing something from still images], or if kyrie's got 3 guys in his general area, he's definitely got at least one passing option completely open. Credit to the spurs defense, but kyrie had a hand in beating himself too, it seems.

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Typical Pop is winning games... Only coach that can actually turn bench players to a winning team. Give him the Bobcats and he would make them contenders.