PDA

View Full Version : VC passes Larry Bird.

ThuglifeJ
02-14-2013, 03:09 AM
that places him at 29th, soon to be 28th on the all-time scoring list.

1-35 on the scoring list are all current or soon to be HOFers...all to make this one hot debate come his retirement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbuc5a2Nz-o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_career_sco ring_leaders

for the kiddies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHG1g8IFbQk

~btw after seeing that list I was scared seeing Lebron so high already. I knew he was high but wow, starting at an early age or not.

asandhu23
02-14-2013, 04:00 AM
He will make it. T-Mac will as well. Same with AI.

you guys are crazy if you think they won't.

LakersIn5
02-14-2013, 04:14 AM
no. 41 on the list is the goat

bagwell368
02-14-2013, 09:19 AM

AI will make it - almost for sure 1st ballot, although I would never have him on my team, when talking all time greats being such a difficult player for anyone to co-exist with, and his Coach killing ways.

VC - offense first - human highlight reel, below average D, fan fave - another one I'm not interested in for my team. He will get into the HOF, but he will see some ballots come and go first.

As to the title of the thread? Yeah, he's passed Larry Bird in points - took him 1037 games to Bird's 897. Also Bird had twice as many rebounds and assists per game, and in the first half of his career actually played some D.

VC was traded and waived constantly and has nothing for MVP's or Rings. Just wanted to remind everyone the value "of passing" Larry Bird as a statement out of context - outside of the actual points in a career.

Chavacano
02-14-2013, 10:39 AM
The legend called Vinsanity lives on.

c.c.
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
It would of better if he done it in one jersey like Larry Bird instead of bouncing around the league like an mediocre role player

King P
02-14-2013, 11:45 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/thadon71/carterGOAT2_zps3b502409.gif

THE MTL
02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Larry Bird didnt last that long. Only 30th in alltime scoring, I thought he would be higher especially considering he is widely considered to be top 7 NBA player of all time.

Im not trying to discredit Bird, but I was just surprised someone like Vince Carter passed him

bagwell368
02-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Larry Bird didnt last that long. Only 30th in alltime scoring, I thought he would be higher especially considering he is widely considered to be top 7 NBA player of all time.

Im not trying to discredit Bird, but I was just surprised someone like Vince Carter passed him

Read post #4. Bird played 897 games - about 250 of those after he got hurt. Bird at his peak destroyed VC and a lot of other better players than VC. Start with the change in games won when he showed up over the prior year.

Average Bird game: 24.3/10.0/6.3
Average VC- game: 21.5/05.1/3.9

mikekhelxD
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
OP, have you been living under the rock for being? How is that a surprise to you that LBJ is high on that list?

AlexTmz2
02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Antawn Jamison. WTH?!

ManRam
02-14-2013, 02:20 PM
So, he's better than Bird now, right? That's how this works?

Gibby23
02-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Where did you read that?

hidalgo
02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
i think if T-Mac & Vince make the HOF then Mitch Richmond should too. i have no problem with all 3 getting in, they all deserve it

BHF
02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
VC is a wasted talent

Patriot Pride
02-14-2013, 03:20 PM
My favorite dunk artist

ThuglifeJ
02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
oh wow..well

No where did anyone imply that Vince was better than Bird. Bird is a top 5 player all-time. The title doesn't imply anything like that.
There's really nothing you can knock about this accomplishment. So he's played more games? cool that's good longevity then and he should be credited for being able to re-invent himself as a 6th man, something many former stars aren't able to do.

ThuglifeJ
02-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Easily AI and Carter. T-Mac most likely. They are all put blame for not winning any rings and instead carrying their, bottom feeder without them, teams instead. Very frustrating I easily see them all winning rings if they had more help in their primes.
Most just remember the second halves of their careers because they're more recent obviously but even with dissapointing ends to the career (ringless) they still have had bigger impacts on the league than plenty of HOFers and stats are obviously HOF quality to back it up.

ThuglifeJ
02-14-2013, 04:36 PM
VC - offense first - human highlight reel, below average D, fan fave
VC was traded and waived constantly

-So he wasnt the next Jordan who cares I dont remember him being asked to have that title. Would the league really be better off without the Nique, Carter, etc. No, who cares if they are showmen. People like that it makes the league better when they have showmen. Especially if you're gonna be on teams that don't have championship capibilities nothing wrong with Niques or Carters.
-Actually I'm sure advanced D stats will tell you his D has been at least average. Same with Tmac. Especially his time in Dallas his D has been good.
-How was he traded and WAIVED constantly.. I love players who are 1 team their whole careers and Maybe hes been traded for the back end of his career but he played 6.5 years in Tor, 4.5 years in NJ. That was the main chunk of his career before his drop off.
Then he played old in Orlando for a year and a half to where he was picked up in Phoenix for 1 reason, his contract (which is the only time and reason he was waived). He played like 30 games there, as simply a transition to where he is now Dallas where he has rejuvinated himself and which the team he will retire from unless he goes back to Toronto like speculated.

now I do agree I wish he stayed in Toronto the whole time but he wasnt traded/waived constantly.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Bird did it in 140 less games, and at least a couple hundred of those games came after his back/elbow issues started. Obviously an all time scoring list isn't a ranking system, but congrats to Vince.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 05:32 PM
My favorite dunk artist

yep. Best in game dunker I have ever seen in the NBA.

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
As much as I don't think VC should get it, he probably will. Best dunker, revolutionized the dunk contest, and was a top player for quite some time.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

He gets in from that dunk alone haha

IversonIsKrazy
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
not gunna lie, I thought Bird would be a LOT higher amongst that list.

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

He gets in from that dunk alone haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EvwWBnBHM

I like this one better.

IversonIsKrazy
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Antawn Jamison is #41 on that list????? WTF. LOL. And Dr.J isn't even on that list. That list is seriously full of surprises.

Sly Guy
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Antawn Jamison. WTH?!

he's been a 20-10 guys for a long long time. Last few years notwithstanding.

SeoulBeatz
02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Antawn Jamison is #41 on that list????? WTF. LOL. And Dr.J isn't even on that list. That list is seriously full of surprises.

well dr j did spend 5 years in the ABA prior to joining the Sixers when he was already 26 years old.

and Antawn Jamison was a BEAST in the early 00's.

That team with Gilbert Arenas, J Rich, and Antawn was fun to watch

still love this play over a decade later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84sKRMBveB4

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EvwWBnBHM

I like this one better.

nah, not me. Mourning just got himself collected and tried stupidly to block a shot while under the rim of a player coming mach 10 at him, known for dunking. That french dude or whatever tried to take a charge 5 feet out, and just got leapt over. I mean, VC has a few dunks that people could claim are his best haha, so its all nitpicking

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
well dr j did spend 5 years in the ABA prior to joining the Sixers when he was already 26 years old.

and Antawn Jamison was a BEAST in the early 00's.

That team with Gilbert Arenas, J Rich, and Antawn was fun to watch

still love this play over a decade later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84sKRMBveB4

Jamison and Kobe had a little 50 game streak going at one point I remember.

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
nah, not me. Mourning just got himself collected and tried stupidly to block a shot while under the rim of a player coming mach 10 at him, known for dunking. That french dude or whatever tried to take a charge 5 feet out, and just got leapt over. I mean, VC has a few dunks that people could claim are his best haha, so its all nitpicking

Maybe. I just find it amazing that he demoralized Alonzo the way he did. I mean Alonzo is huge and one of the best shot blockers in the NBA history.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Maybe. I just find it amazing that he demoralized Alonzo the way he did. I mean Alonzo is huge and one of the best shot blockers in the NBA history.

I get that point of view for sure

SLY WILLIAMS
02-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Alonzo and Mutumbo got posterized as often as anyone because they tried to block so many shots. No shame in that in my opinion. Some other guys would just get out of the way. Vince was a really good player for some years.

LeperMessiah
02-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Here comes hof talks

ThuglifeJ
02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Alonzo and Mutumbo got posterized as often as anyone because they tried to block so many shots. No shame in that in my opinion. Some other guys would just get out of the way. Vince was a really good player for some years.

Definitely, unless it causes an and-1 its a good defensive play to at least force someone to have to dunk on you.

my personal favorite VC dunk was the windmill in traffic on the Clippers. because of the dunk and the clipper's bench reaction

bagwell368
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
-So he wasnt the next Jordan who cares I dont remember him being asked to have that title. Would the league really be better off without the Nique, Carter, etc. No, who cares if they are showmen. People like that it makes the league better when they have showmen. Especially if you're gonna be on teams that don't have championship capibilities nothing wrong with Niques or Carters.
-Actually I'm sure advanced D stats will tell you his D has been at least average. Same with Tmac. Especially his time in Dallas his D has been good.
-How was he traded and WAIVED constantly.. I love players who are 1 team their whole careers and Maybe hes been traded for the back end of his career but he played 6.5 years in Tor, 4.5 years in NJ. That was the main chunk of his career before his drop off.
Then he played old in Orlando for a year and a half to where he was picked up in Phoenix for 1 reason, his contract (which is the only time and reason he was waived). He played like 30 games there, as simply a transition to where he is now Dallas where he has rejuvinated himself and which the team he will retire from unless he goes back to Toronto like speculated.

now I do agree I wish he stayed in Toronto the whole time but he wasnt traded/waived constantly.

I'm a long time fan, x player and x coach, I don't give two ***** about being entertained. Win the game, demoralize your opponents, kick *** - that's fun for me.

ThuglifeJ
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm a long time fan, x player and x coach, I don't give two ***** about being entertained. Win the game, demoralize your opponents, kick *** - that's fun for me.

Well first off it's not all about you..

And it's not like Dominique, Carter, etc didnt "win the game, demoralize, kick ***". They didnt win a ring but they still won..just because they're flashy doesn't mean they don't win the games, the flashiness breeds from their confidence. If they don't have a little flash they don't have the confidence needed to play.

considering the demographics watching the NBA, showmen are needed. You wouldn't have many fans under age 20, or just casual fans, if there weren't current teams like the Clippers.. Yah at my age I care more about what you mentioned but I still get excited when I see some highlights, dont be so dull.

fyi in the postgame Vince said, "..But, I've been around a long time you're going to start passing people just from being here so long."
so chill

Magic Bean Fury
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Makes it for the dunk on weis.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-15-2013, 12:09 AM

I like when my team wins but whether it is sports or TV I like to be entertained. No sense watching a boring NBA or NHL game. That is why I do not watch golf or soccer. Larry Bird was a very entertaining player without a lot of dunks.

arealballer
02-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Vince was literally one of the ten most gifted athletes to ever play in the nba. He had that much potential and ability. It was just too bad he never wanted it in the same way that Kobe did, or that Garnett did.

It would have been surreal to see a version of Vince Carter with Kobe's determination.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 02:24 PM

Bingo. His longevity makes it an easy comp, and dont get started on those TEAM awards.