PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose may sit out season

oak2455
02-14-2013, 12:53 AM
BOSTON -- Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose reiterated Wednesday night there is a chance he will sit out the entire season as he recovers from surgery to fix a torn ACL in his left knee. He isn't sure when he'll return to the floor.

"I really don't know," Rose said. "I'm feeling good but like I said, if it's where it's taking me a long time and I'm still not feeling right, I don't mind missing this year."

Rose
Rose said he would like to play this season but isn't sure if his body will heal in time.

"I would love to," he said. "I would love to. That's why I approached my rehab and my workout so hard. I'm trying to get back on the court as quickly as possible, but if I have anything lingering on, it's no point."

Rose's comments come on the heals of an interview he did with USA Today Sports Monday afternoon in which he stated he was still "far away" from returning and wouldn't come back until he was "110 percent." Rose did acknowledge late Wednesday night that the decision to play is his and he would listen to his inner circle made up of trusted associates and Bulls personnel.

"(Agent) B.J. (Armstrong), of course. People from the organization, (Bulls GM) Gar (Forman), (Bulls VP of operations John Paxson), all them people. Trainers, just people that I will normally be around every day. But it's really on me to make that decision when I'm going to play again so that's cool that they left it up to me."

Rose, who injured his knee in the first game of the Eastern Conference playoffs on April 28 and had surgery on May 12, admitted he is still struggling with gaining his explosion back. The next step for him is simple.

"Being able to dunk," he said. "I can't dunk, man. I know if I can dunk off stride, I know I'll be out there playing, but I can't."

Still, Rose's spirits appear to be high. He has accompanied the Bulls on the road since the first of the year and is enjoying being with his teammates.

"Right now I'm feeling pretty good, man," he said. "Where (I'm) slowly getting back in the mix. The other day we played the three-on-three, one-on-one, and I felt good out there. I'm not trying to rush myself still, just still trying to be patient and just trying to take my rehab very serious right now."

ESPNChicago.com Bulls blog
The latest news from Bulls reporter Nick Friedell. Blog

The former MVP admitted he is struggling to regain both his mental and physical confidence.

"It's both still," Rose said. "Where my leg still isn't feeling right. Mentally, I think that I'm fine. Just every week just try to do something different, every day stay on my rehab, do a little bit more, lift a little bit more, squat a little bit more and taking it very serious."

Rose said he has not taken a hit on the knee yet but isn't concerned about that aspect of his recovery.

"I'm not afraid of that, though," he said. "I know that's going to happen with the way that I play. I'm not scared of taking hits at all."

He does not believe his game will change because of his injury.

"I'm working on my shot but you're not going to label me as a shooter," he said. "I'm going to be someone that can consistently hit a jump shot by game is always going to be driving."

Rose acknowledged that he has watched the recovery of current and former players who have recovered from ACL injuries in the past.

"I've been looking at the people in the past where everybody I think is coming back better," he said. "So it's exciting to know that all my hard work is going to pay off one day. I just don't know when."

Does he feel any extra pressure to return?

"(None) at all," Rose said. "At all. That's the last thing I'm thinking about is coming back too soon. I know that it's all on me so I just got to make the decision when I'm ready."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/8946403/derrick-rose-chicago-bulls-says-there-chance-return-season

oak2455
02-14-2013, 12:56 AM
If he's not 100% why risk it and if I'm the Bulls I would want a healthy Rose

stawka
02-14-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm not a fan of Rose, but I'm a fan of the NBA. I actually hope he doesn't return this year unless he feels 110%. The Bulls are playing well without him and no doubt they'll improve once he returns, but I don't see them winning the title this year

Just sit it out, ensure you're 110% for next training camp and don't risk further injury

oak2455
02-14-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm not a fan of Rose, but I'm a fan of the NBA. I actually hope he doesn't return this year unless he feels 110%. The Bulls are playing well without him and no doubt they'll improve once he returns, but I don't see them winning the title this year

Just sit it out, ensure you're 110% for next training camp and don't risk further injury
agreed don't wanna see a star like Rose get hurt when he can come back like you said at 110 %

justinnum1
02-14-2013, 01:02 AM
I wish he comes back becuase it will feel better beating the bulls in the ECF with all their players playing, but if sitting out for the season is best, thats what he should do

fin_frenzy_84
02-14-2013, 01:11 AM
As a huge bulls fan, if he has to sit out longer then so be it! He is such a young player, why risk him getting hurt again!

THE MTL
02-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Wow, I thought he was progressing good to the point where he was coming back soon after the Allstar break. I guess those reports were a little optimistic.

Rose should get 100% healthy before coming back. There is no need to risk further injury for such a great player.

Dade County
02-14-2013, 01:21 AM
:(

Will he ever be the same :mad:

HuRRiCaNeS324
02-14-2013, 01:21 AM
This is really concerning on a lot of levels, primarily the fact it has been 10 months and he still can't even get remotely close to the explosion he once had. Still not being able to dunk (despite the fact it has been reported multiple teammates have seen him dunk :confused: .... weird) after around 8-9 months of rigorous rehab is not good imo. I tore my ACL and the range is pretty much between 10-12 months, and for a professional athlete it's normally <10. You have to start questioning if the surgery was good enough for a player like Rose.

And then hearing him talk.... he sounds like he's scared to hurt it again, which is why he's probably leaning towards sitting out almost 2 years.

But all in all, he should DEFINITELY sit out the rest of the year, **** that. Don't even risk it... Even if he does it will most likely be almsot playoff time and it will prolly take a little while to shake off the rust.

Yunqn
02-14-2013, 01:23 AM
It is time to blow it up .. Period.. Get him some help.. It is time to make a trade and move foward and look for the long term future..

I love rose.. Hes been my fav player/hero since his very beginning at memphis.. Im known around my peers as the only person they know to truly be a rose fan /supporter.. and its crazy to think that i been a diehard bulls fan bulls fan since the jordan era since i was born into my familys love for the bulls...

I will be HIGHLY saddened if i cant see him play in a whole year.. But i rather see him happy & playing like himself instead of rushing to play with a team thats hyped to be a championship team when its not..

The front office need to do what they have to do.. This team will necer win a title let alone get out the east with just rose..

HuRRiCaNeS324
02-14-2013, 01:31 AM
It's prolly not in the Bulls DNA to do such a thing, but tanking could of been a nice option lol. Even though there isn't that 1 superstar player this year, there's still a guy like Ben McClemore who will be perfect along side Rose. Also hey could of traded it for a star player.

Next year they will have pretty much the same team...

LongIslandIcedZ
02-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Health comes first, especially when you're 23. If he isnt feeling 100%, there is no point in risking it. There will be other years.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2013, 01:43 AM
AP's recovery blew us away. If Rose doesn't think his return will net a 20 game "getting my legs back", and then being D-Rose again, why waste the season?

justinnum1
02-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Adidas is probably telling him to wait the year. They have 250mil invested in him. If rose comes back the way shump did and is a lot worse than what he was before it would hurt the image.

The way miami looks, might as well sit him for the year. No sense in risking another injury, especially the way he plays.

WickedBadMan
02-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Adidas.

IversonIsKrazy
02-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Im a huge Rose fan and was really really looking forward to #TheReturn this season, but honestly, if he isn't 110%, he should just wait until next season I guess....

Vee-Rex
02-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Yeah, I hope he doesn't rush it. If it takes another year then so be it. The last thing anyone want is for another great talent to mess up his career rushing back from injuries (Brandon Roy). Take it day by day. We're still mid Feb, and playoffs don't start for another 2 months. He may very well feel 10x better by then, but if not take off use the Summer to recover and be ready to tear it up the start of next season.

lakers4sho
02-14-2013, 02:58 AM
penny hardaway

Raps08-09 Champ
02-14-2013, 03:07 AM
Eh. I guess it's better to be 100% for next season.

oak2455
02-14-2013, 10:39 AM
penny hardaway

Wow that's funny :facepalm:

2-ONE-5
02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Bucher was saying on Monday on Simmonds podcast that the Bulls tried to convicne to sit out this season and they would be ok with a down year but as they kept winning both sides wanted him on the court when he was ready. Bucher also said that he higly doubted Rose had been playing 5v5 in practice and that at best he was 75% and wouldnt be 100% til the Spring at the earliest. So I guess this comes as no surprise now

justinnum1
02-14-2013, 10:57 AM
the bulls vp said rose would start 5 on 5 next week fwiw

LongIslandIcedZ
02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Rose is just a kid. With how fast he is and much he cuts, if he isnt feeling 100%, than it is foolish to bring him back. This current Bulls team isnt going anywhere, he'll have opportunities for championships without a doubt. Shumpert looks OK, but he means a lot less to the Knicks success than Rose does to the Bulls. If Rose comes back and looks like Shump does now, it would be a detriment for the Bulls. Rest this season, come back next season stronger than ever. There is no rush.

Sly Guy
02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
knee injuries like this can ruin careers. No sense rushing back from it. He might be able to help them at 80-90%, but if he re-injures himself, that's a far worse proposition than not being on the court this year. I like this no-pressure approach chicago is giving him. Unlike D'Antoni in LA this year, who was salivating like a hungry dog waiting for nash to get back.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-14-2013, 11:18 AM
If Rose feels that his lateral movement and explosiveness aren't maxed out, then sit. If he has to hesitate, that's the fastest way for him to reinsure it.

JiffyMix88
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
the bulls vp said rose would start 5 on 5 next week fwiw

fwiw?

Mitch Kramer
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Why would Rose want to come back this season? The FO did nothing in the offseason in regards to getting even close to beating Miami in a 7 game series. Sit out, give GarPax what they deserve, a first round playoff exit.

Cal827
02-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Sit out the year and come back at 100%. Don't want to risk something catastrophic while still being injured.

kdspurman
02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
fwiw?

for what it's worth *

ManRam
02-14-2013, 01:18 PM
WHAT WOULD KOBE SAY?!

If they were teammates...

I think he'll be back. All reports suggest he's getting close.

JiffyMix88
02-14-2013, 01:51 PM
for what it's worth *

MassoDio
02-14-2013, 01:54 PM
This is really concerning on a lot of levels, primarily the fact it has been 10 months and he still can't even get remotely close to the explosion he once had. Still not being able to dunk (despite the fact it has been reported multiple teammates have seen him dunk :confused: .... weird) after around 8-9 months of rigorous rehab is not good imo. I tore my ACL and the range is pretty much between 10-12 months, and for a professional athlete it's normally <10. You have to start questioning if the surgery was good enough for a player like Rose.

And then hearing him talk.... he sounds like he's scared to hurt it again, which is why he's probably leaning towards sitting out almost 2 years.

But all in all, he should DEFINITELY sit out the rest of the year, **** that. Don't even risk it... Even if he does it will most likely be almsot playoff time and it will prolly take a little while to shake off the rust.

The bolded part....he said he couldn't dunk in stride, not that he couldn't dunk. It just means he can't be running full speed, take off, and dunk without any hesitation in the move. Still a concern, but very normal in the healing process for a basketball player who just had ACL surgery.

I really don't care when he comes back as long as he waits until he is fully healthy. If that has to be next season, so be it. The Bulls are not going to win a championship this year whether he comes back or not. They can be competitive, but they won't win it this year.

So sit out as long as you need to D.Rose. No sense in coming back and risking injury if you are not completely healthy and ready to compete at that level.

SteBO
02-14-2013, 02:12 PM
It's a downer, but he should wait until he's comfortable. Can't wait until he gets back at full strength....

72 Wins
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Not sure where I read this, but do you guys remember the reports that said he gained 2 inches in his vertical? How is that measured? In stride, no?

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I gotta say, the thing I take issue with his how he said he 'doesn't mind' sitting out. I understand if he is hesitant because we are talking about his health after all. Health is most important. I support him not rushing back, especially considering that this injury happened because he was rushing back from an injury. But to say he doesn't mind? I'd like to see a little more passion. I would certainly mind missing an entire season. Sitting out all year may be what is in the best interest of the team and for Rose long term, but to say he doesn't mind it? I don't think it sends the right message. I'm sure he just worded it wrong.

pacofunk64
02-14-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't think Rose needs to 100% health wise but more 100% mind wise. AP wasn't 100% when the season started but in his mind he was ready to go. It's a little different for Rose though...he has to do a little more juking than what Peterson did.

CTCUBBIES
02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I don't think Rose needs to 100% health wise but more 100% mind wise. AP wasn't 100% when the season started but in his mind he was ready to go. It's a little different for Rose though...he has to do a little more juking than what Peterson did.

I think a big difference (aside from the sport) is that Rose will be facing a lot more pressure and a much bigger spotlight. No one expected anything of The Vikings this year and if Peterson had a down year no one would have been surprised. If Chicago is worse or he plays poorly when he returns it is going to be very difficult on everyone associated with Rose and The Bulls.

lakers4sho
02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
WHAT WOULD KOBE SAY?!

If they were teammates...

I think he'll be back. All reports suggest he's getting close.

The doctors cleared him to play? :rolleyes:

OceanSpray
02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Good for Rose. He knows Chicago has no realistic chance of beating Miami this year. He doesn't want to come in and ruin everything for the Bulls and would much rather have a fresh start next year. Smart decision, great investment for the future.

sunsfan88
02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I wish he comes back becuase it will feel better beating the bulls in the ECF with all their players playing, but if sitting out for the season is best, thats what he should do
If the Heat beat with the Bulls even with Derrick Rose, everyone's gonna say "Heat only beat em cause Rose is still hurt".

Kuya_Clive
02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Not sure where I read this, but do you guys remember the reports that said he gained 2 inches in his vertical? How is that measured? In stride, no?

there's a standing vertical with no steps allowed and a max vertical iirc. But both measures are done with two feet, i believe, so the numbers can be compared. What the report meant was that Rose has yet to dunk solely off the leg that had surgery. I remember one report where Rip or Butler said they saw Rose dunk standing vert, not in stride.

Bartlee23
02-14-2013, 11:44 PM
I really don't honestly believe Rose would tell the media how he honestly is doing because they will just twist it into whatever they want to anyways. Let's face it, there is always going to be his fans, the doubters and of course the haters. Rose for some reason seems to have a lot of doubters which will definitely have all eyes on him when he does return. If he needs to sit it out for the year so be it. They realistically will not be winning it all this year. I do predict though that he does regain his form and may even come out a better player on a team with one of the brighest futures in the NBA.

rockbottom2010
02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
i rather see a healthy and competitive rose

kdspurman
02-19-2013, 11:40 PM
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Derrick Rose looked "really good" & is ready for game action, according to eyewitness source at Bulls' practice (via @Chris_Broussard)

justinnum1
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
he will be back soon.

Slug3
02-19-2013, 11:49 PM

Thats good news, hopefully he is back soon. I think the biggest hurdle now is getting his mind to believe his knee can handle it.

kdspurman
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Thats good news, hopefully he is back soon. I think the biggest hurdle now is getting his mind to believe his knee can handle it.

No doubt, that's gotta be tough especially someone who plays the way he does.

DumDum
02-19-2013, 11:58 PM
I knew it we won't see an Elite Rose for at least 2yrs . No baiting chi town don't shoot me

HYFR
02-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Really can't blame him here. IMO most bulls fans would want him to come back fully healthy next year and make a big push in the east. If he comes back now he will still not be the same and they get bounced early in the playoffs

Ill21
02-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Kinda wish Shump waited at this point

Kuya_Clive
02-20-2013, 12:21 AM
I think it's mostly mental now. IMO he doesn't wanna return until he is certain he will return to pre-injury form. Every report talks about how great he looks yet Rose may sit out the season. This is because he has incredibly high standards for himself and refuses to be" just a shooter" when he returns. Hopefully these 5
on 5's bring him closer to a return.

gaughan333
02-20-2013, 12:40 AM
were not beating the heat...so fine with me