PDA

View Full Version : The reason behind Rondo

xRipCity
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Basketball is plagued nowadays with players who's sole purpose in a game getting a good statline (No, a good statline does not mean you win a game). There are many other elements that apply outside of a player's stats for a game.
I'm going to go ahead and accuse Rondo of being one of these players. It seemed like when he was on his assist streak he did everything he could to maintain it, regardless of a win or a loss.
And suddenly, the Celtics are as good or better without a top five point guard. They are averaging more assists and points per game. This may be due to playing harder due to the loss, but I'm not sold.
Take the Clippers, who, without Chris Paul for awhile, were just an average team. When CP3 is in the lineup, they are contenders. Without him, they're not, for sure. He's a complete game-changer.
So, my question is, what is happening in Boston... and who are other players in the league that could be considered stat guys that really wouldn't be missed too much if off the court?

Chronz
02-13-2013, 03:10 PM
The only person I felt really strongly about was Rondo. But Im guessing a guy like Gay for Memphis wasn't that important, they seem fine without him and they didn't pick up a star to replace him. Then again, he wasn't that useful for Memphis so its more like they miss his potential, not his actual performance.

Fired-Up
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I think it goes to show that point guards in general are the least important position on the court. I have felt this way for years.

Ready for the flame.

Chronz
02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I think it goes to show that point guards in general are the least important position on the court. I have felt this way for years.

Ready for the flame.

Did you read his post? It included the PG who has a drastic impact on his teams games as the alternative.

Nash, Billups and CP3 are the 3 PG's who have had a significant statistical influence on their teams offenses.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Ready for the flame.

Not true. However, as Chronz stated, and I agree with, I had a strong feeling the C's wouldn't miss Rondo at all.

seikou8
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
westbrook cause he is a overated chucker and should be sg:rolleyes:

xRipCity
02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Swap Chris Paul for Westbrook and there would be a title in OKC

hugepatsfan
02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
The Celtics are better without Rondo but it's partly an indictment on the other players on the team too. Rondo is an offensive liability when he doesn't have the ball so he needs to have it the majority of the time he's on the court. That forces the rest of the team to focus on playing without the basketball. That's not the strong point of lot of players. Jeff Green looks to be playing better to me because he's getting more iso plays. Jason Terry is better when he gets to handle the basketball rather than play off it. Pierce at this stage of his career is better off as a point forward/scorer hybrid than a go to scorer so he needs "PG type" touches.

Look at what Avery Bradley did at the end of last year with Rondo dishing him the ball. He was awesome at making cuts to the basket. Look at how well Chris Wilcox has played with Rondo in the lineup before.

Building around Rondo requires a tougher brand of basketball. It takes players that 1) feel comfortable getting in position to score without the ball and 2) are on the same page mentally as Rondo. In theory, it would work great and be harder to stop than a typical offense. But in practice, it's almost impossible to achieve. It just has more moving parts than players doing more to create their own shot.

King41
02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
noooo sorry not 1 not 2 ....
okc with paul yeah i think the would got an title

Alayla
02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
This thread seems like an informed overreaction and thats unfortunate since i partly agree with the stance taken

Guppyfighter
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
noooo sorry not 1 not 2 ....
okc with paul yeah i think the would got an title

Second and third best player in the league? Going out on a limb, man.

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Boston has had a relatively easy schedule since Rondo went down (though the win over MIA was very impressive). Also, they've had several OT games since his injury and could have very easily lost those game.

Boston is luck in that they have Pierce, who is a great play maker and can bring the ball up, as well who is an experienced combo guard and played a lot of years at the point. He is a champion and former 6th man of the year and fringe all-star caliber player for a few seasons. It helps to have him stepping in. As well as Lee and Barbosa. So Boston has a few ball handlers who can step up.

With Barbosa now out for the season, as well as Rondo and Sullenger, Boston is going to struggle. They just don't have enough guys in their rotation now.

Boston is better with Rondo on the floor. No doubt of that in my mind. He has shortcomings, granted, but he is a great defender and great play maker and it is nice to see a guy who likes to pass first.

bagwell368
02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Boston is luck in that they have Pierce, who is a great play maker and can bring the ball up, as well who is an experienced combo guard and played a lot of years at the point.

Ummm.. PP is a SF, and was at times early in his career a SG. He's been labeled a point forward which is somewhat accurate. But, he's no PG.

Boston is better with Rondo on the floor. No doubt of that in my mind. He has shortcomings, granted, but he is a great defender and great play maker and it is nice to see a guy who likes to pass first.

The HOF old Cels that want to sit behind a screen and a get a pass for a J - they were fine with Rondo at the point, but, the more dynamic players such as Lee, Barbosa, and Green chafed under Rondo. Terry also has a lease on life playing much better when he gets a chance to hold the ball for something besides a shot.

Take it from me, Barbosa in that 7 game streak played better on a minute by minute basis than Rondo did this year - on both an individual basis and on team basis.

Chavacano
02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Check my $tats.

Hustlenomics
02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
lets see what happens in the playoffs. Celtics and Bulls are doing well without Rose and rondo doesn't mean they can contend

Fired-Up
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't see how PG isn't the least important position in the league. 1 PG in the last 20 years has won Finals MVP. I'd take a dominant player from any of the other 4 positions on the court hands down.

TheNumber37
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Celtics just lost to the bobacts.

Anyone saying that the Celtics are better without rondo clearly havent watched them play.

to compare rondo being out to cp3 out is kinda off cause the clippers don't have an guys like pierce, kg and doc rivers to grind out wins in those tough situations.

3RDASYSTEM
02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Did you read his post? It included the PG who has a drastic impact on his teams games as the alternative.

Nash, Billups and CP3 are the 3 PG's who have had a significant statistical influence on their teams offenses.

Child please, they had a good stretch In they career but don't give me no **** about a player being traded 5 teams in like 5yrs, another guy who couldn't run a PORTER type style so they had to go back to a style that fits his strength to run and have a significant influence

CP3 is the only one out that group to do it offtop on what you're speaking on, that's what matters in sports when speaking on 'game/impact'', not yrs and yrs later to pick a best 3-5 yr stretch....its only drastic that BILLUPS had 5teams in as many yrs and NASH looked so lost without MIKED system it cost a coach his J, and then didn't NASH go back to significantly making his mates '''psd better''' when GENTRY went back to that allworld style for a allworld player?

childplease

Agar81
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Anyone saying that the Celtics are better without rondo clearly havent watched them play.

to compare rondo being out to cp3 out is kinda off cause the clippers don't have an guys like pierce, kg and doc rivers to grind out wins in those tough situations.

Try again. The Celtics had won 7 in a row before the Bobcats game, which they lost because they had just beat a very good Nuggets team in triple OT and had to take a plane to Charlotte right after. They're still 8-1 since the Rondo injury, and if you actually watched the team, you could see a more fluid offensive attack and even a more poised and focused defensive unit. They have played some of their best basketball of the season during the streak. Not sure what team you've been watching. The real problem is the Barbosa injury, as others will allude to you.

bagwell368
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM

Rubbish point without context. They played a triple overtime the night before, and their 3 Social Security recipients all shot crap because of it. Also Barbosa who in those 7 games outplayed Rondo per minute in his season by no small measure was lost for the season (when it was a 1 point game).

I've seen every game they have played since Rondo went down and the team is playing its best ball all year long.

Chronz
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Child please, they had a good stretch In they career but don't give me no **** about a player being traded 5 teams in like 5yrs, another guy who couldn't run a PORTER type style so they had to go back to a style that fits his strength to run and have a significant influence
But your wrong, he did run Porters OFFENSE. They were an ELITE offensive team. But WINNING revolves around how you perform on BOTH offense and DEFENSE.

CP3 is the only one out that group to do it offtop on what you're speaking on, that's what matters in sports when speaking on 'game/impact'', not yrs and yrs later to pick a best 3-5 yr stretch....its only drastic that BILLUPS had 5teams in as many yrs and NASH looked so lost without MIKED system it cost a coach his J, and then didn't NASH go back to significantly making his mates '''psd better''' when GENTRY went back to that allworld style for a allworld player?
Sorry but I dont subscribe to that moronic line of thinking. Its not Nash's fault that AI cant play at 38

childplease

Chronz
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM

LMFAO

R U trollin?