PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of 3 second violation?

4milesperday
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
The 3 second violation has basically eradicated the need for big men in the league which I think is bad, all we see nowadays are big man relying on jumpers and most don't even know how to post up anymore...and I blame that on the 3 second violation in paint calls. The calls are also bogus IMO, refs seem to only pay attention to it when the other team has a momentum or when a ref is out to get some player. Basketball should be played as freely as it can be but there are just too many rule in the game nowadays and I think the 3 second violation for staying in the paint is really unfair to the C position and it also gives unfair advantage to quick guards with no one in the paint to stop them.

Does anyone agree with me?

D-Leethal
02-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Your not in the key when your posting up on the block. Has nothing to do with lack of post up bigs. Blame that on the 'WANNA BE LIKE MIKE' campaign.

The rule in theory makes plenty of sense, but the way its called only when a ref feels an random urge to blow the whistle and lets it slide 95% of the time kind of renders the call a complete joke. Its up there with the 'carry' rule that gets broken everytime a PG dribbles the ball.

Byronicle
02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
clearly the OP does not play basketball

JiffyMix88
02-13-2013, 01:16 PM

so instead of posting bs like this y not try and help him out by explaining it to him...

LakersIn5
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
i dont get the point it either

yankeesown69
02-13-2013, 01:19 PM
As long as its called consistently theres nothing wrong with the rule...It doesn't prevent posting up. Most post ups originate on the high or low block. Most offensive 3 second violations occur when theres overpassing and the big man was assuming a shot was going up so he was trying to get position for an offensive rebound

cbs9889
02-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Your not in the key when your posting up on the block. Has nothing to do with lack of post up bigs. Blame that on the 'WANNA BE LIKE MIKE' campaign.

The rule in theory makes plenty of sense, but the way its called only when a ref feels an random urge to blow the whistle and lets it slide 95% of the time kind of renders the call a complete joke. Its up there with the 'carry' rule that gets broken everytime a PG dribbles the ball.

100% agree with this:clap:

R. Johnson#3
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
If there was no 3 in the key then powerful big men could just keep pushing until they got directly under the rim then start calling for the ball.

houstonfan
02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
While we are talking about dumb rules... How dumb is the 8 second back court rule? I mean if they want to stand backcourt for 20 seconds I think the NBA should let them. To me that rule is so pointless

Beltrans Mole
02-13-2013, 01:39 PM
There are a lot of rules that should be done away with. 8 second back court and 3 second violation are definitely two of those rules.

jayjay33
02-13-2013, 01:45 PM

I gotta go with this.

4milesperday
02-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Majority of post-ups are done in the paint but C's have to receive the ball quick and make a fast move, or they will be called for a 3 sec violation. That's unfair IMO.

TheNumber37
02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
It's not for taking big guys out of the game... Any Skilled big can work around it. IF there was no 3 in the key, EVERY posession, Howard would just get position under the basket and wait for the ball to find him. Also, on defense, a big could just camp out in the lane not defending anyone and wait for the a player to drive.

It's main purpose was to quell the zone and speed up the game

TheNumber37
02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
While we are talking about dumb rules... How dumb is the 8 second back court rule? I mean if they want to stand backcourt for 20 seconds I think the NBA should let them. To me that rule is so pointless

8 sec rule is debatable, but makes sense to me. Again, it's all about the speed of the game. I for one like it, because on ball defenders actually have something to play with and it applies pressure on the PG handling the ball to do what all PGS should be able to do. Get the ball across half court with pressure.
Seems simple, but if there wasn't this rules, a lot of end of games would look like the guards throwing to to each other in the backcourt before the defense has to converge leaving their rim protection vulnerable

D-Leethal
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Majority of post-ups are done in the paint but C's have to receive the ball quick and make a fast move, or they will be called for a 3 sec violation. That's unfair IMO.

IDK, your taught to post up on the block, it gives you a better angle to flip hook and allows you to use the 45 deg bank shot. This goes back to basic fundamentals. Of course, if you have position under the rim, you will maintain position and call for the ball, but your taught to post up on the low block, which is outside the key. Usually you will have 1 foot in, 1 foot out, which is perfectly legal and doesn't count for 3 secs. Nobody is taught to post up directly in front of the rim (which would be in the key) but it happens at times throughout the course of the game.

Stinkyoutsider
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
It would take less skill if there was no 3 second call. How fun would the game be to see Dwight Howard park himself under the rim on every possession? Not too entertaining if you ask me. I want to see Howard work for the ball and score using some skill.

Same for all bigs. I have a lot of respect for what Brook Lopez can do in the post and without a 3 second call, he could do the same thing. Park underneath the rim and stay there until he got the ball.

Bob_at_york
02-13-2013, 03:02 PM

I think the NBA put that rule in place to speed up the game.

Klivlend
02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
It pains me to read this thread. I feel like most of the posters are the scrubs you hate playing pick-up with at the gym.

The 3-in-the-key is a good rule because otherwise you would have post players just kick-it in the key all possession clogging up the lane.

The 8 second rule is legit, too. Think full court press.

TopsyTurvy
02-13-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm going to assume the intention of the OP was the offensive three second violation and not the defensive three second violation (though it was never specific).

That being said, unclogging the lane offensively was the intent of the rule to prevent games from becoming a mess of players banging down low. The amount of options to throw screens around hoop and optimal rebounding positions are made more challenging to achieve and the overall result is a much more open game of basketball.

On the defensive end, illegal defense was established to limit the potential of the zone (as many have pointed out).

houstonfan
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM
It pains me to read this thread. I feel like most of the posters are the scrubs you hate playing pick-up with at the gym.

The 3-in-the-key is a good rule because otherwise you would have post players just kick-it in the key all possession clogging up the lane.

Ya because every nba team full court presses... And How does questioning a rule make me a scrub at pickup ball? Dumba$$

blahblahyoutoo
02-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Ya because every nba team full court presses... And How does questioning a rule make me a scrub at pickup ball? Dumba$$

So 8 sec should only be called when a team is doing full court press. gotcha.

rocket
02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
so instead of posting bs like this y not try and help him out by explaining it to him...

Clearly the OP does not play basketball

JesusNYY_Savior
02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
without this violation the lane would be clogged on every play, its pretty basic?

Klivlend
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Klivlend
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Ya, you're right. I've never seen an NBA team try to force a turnover in the backcourt. What a re-re.

Your question makes you a scrub because you don't understand basic rules.

knicks=love
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM

you don't know that for sure. i bet you don't even know the whole rule. i bet you didn't know that the "3 seconds" resets after every shot attempt. they're professional refs, they don't just stand there and think about what they should call next. that's just absurd.

Alayla
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Yup

houstonfan
02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Ya, you're right. I've never seen an NBA team try to force a turnover in the backcourt. What a re-re.

Your question makes you a scrub because you don't understand basic rules.

I understand that teams try to force turnovers but it is extremely rare that a 8 second backcourt call is called. I think I've seen one in the last two years of watching basketball. And I do understand basic rules of basketball even though I happen to think that one is pointless

LAKobeBryant
02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
without this rule teams our sign 7'8 players to stand beside the hoop and drop it in. Plus you don't post up in the paint go watch the legendary centres that played the game.

sportscrazy34
02-13-2013, 06:45 PM
The 3 second violation has basically eradicated the need for big men in the league which I think is bad, all we see nowadays are big man relying on jumpers and most don't even know how to post up anymore...and I blame that on the 3 second violation in paint calls. The calls are also bogus IMO, refs seem to only pay attention to it when the other team has a momentum or when a ref is out to get some player. Basketball should be played as freely as it can be but there are just too many rule in the game nowadays and I think the 3 second violation for staying in the paint is really unfair to the C position and it also gives unfair advantage to quick guards with no one in the paint to stop them.

Does anyone agree with me?

Wait do you think the 3 second rule has only been around the last few years?

IKnowHoops
02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Basically Wilt averaged 50 and 25 for two straight seasons and the NBA was like uhhhhhh, we have got to put a stop to this.

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
It's the "back-to-the-basket" rule that has eliminated the post-up game. Back in the day if a guy posted up, like Barkley or Hakeem, the back into the post, dribble right, dribble left, get to the spot they want, pick up the dribble, pivot pump fake and score. The problem, in David Stern's eyes, is that that took to long. He thought it slowed down the game, so he implemented the 'back-to-the-basket' rule where you are only allowed a few seconds to play with your back to the basket. This meant that you either had to have lightening quick post moves, or get it deep in the post in order to make the play in the designated time, or you have to start developing a jump shot (which the truly great PFs and Cs already had). So Barkley and Malone were fine, and Duncan and Garnett were fine as well, but guys like Tyson Chandler, not so much.

This was done in order to take the ball out of the hands of the post players and open things up for the perimeter.

The three-seconds in the key rule has a different purpose (offensive and defensive players can be called for this). On offence, it forces you to always be moving, no camping out on the paint. And on defence, it discourages zone and keeps the lane open unless you are guarding somebody, so it opens the game up. Otherwise a team will essentially keep a goal tender in the paint to pick up guys driving to the basket and play zone on the perimeter.

You are right though, Stern has ruined the post up game.