I mean the guy is injury prone but....

Station 13
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm kinda tired of this guy.

bagwell368
02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm kinda tired of this guy.

98.5 says "pulled"

I remember during/after Buchholz's one big year lots of folks here were touting him as a Lester killer. Lester could retire tomorrow and end up having done more than this guy is going to do. Get him healthy and get him out of here.

grandsalami
02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
really? its the first day of ST, I dont see the outrage...

mooz
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Are you kidding me?! I've been a huge Buchholz supporter for a long time but it's getting a bit ridiculous now. And pulled hamstrings are my least favorite injuries in baseball. This will bother him all season, I can almost guarantee it.

grandsalami
02-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Are you kidding me?! I've been a huge Buchholz supporter for a long time but it's getting a bit ridiculous now. And pulled hamstrings are my least favorite injuries in baseball. This will bother him all season, I can almost guarantee it.

doubut it will bother him all season....

grandsalami
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
anyway I get what your saying, but lets wait for a report on the status (how bad it is) before we worry. It could be nothing.

grandsalami
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier
Buchholz had a mild hamstring strain covering 1B. He's day to day.

AI
02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I understand the general feeling, it's getting old and maybs he should be dealt if there is a team willing to offer a good package. He has a nice contract, under club control for a while and pitching is at a premium. We should be able to get good value in return.

mooz
02-12-2013, 12:43 PM
anyway I get what your saying, but lets wait for a report on the status (how bad it is) before we worry. It could be nothing.

Yeah, I understand and I'd love to read a report that says it's a non-issue but from my experience, hamstrings are almost never a non-issue. It is probably the easiest injury to reaggravate in sports. With Buch's history of nagging injuries with his back, the last thing we need is him favoring a hamstring.

I understand the general feeling, it's getting old and maybs he should be dealt if there is a team willing to offer a good package. He has a nice contract, under club control for a while and pitching is at a premium. We should be able to get good value in return.

I'd love to see him become the pitcher he's supposed to be wearing a Red Sox uniform but I agree, at this point if you can get a good return on him, take it. We aren't contending for at least a couple years so why not stock up for the future.

bagwell368
02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
really? its the first day of ST, I dont see the outrage...

No outrage. But tweeking a hammy can mean two things. Buchholz didn't do much off season stretching/conditioning which isn't a good move for a guy making nice money coming off a meh season.

Also, it means that any angst that Red Sox fans have (a ton in total) only gets another "WTF!" added to it, obviously only a physic injury, but, geez thanks I had all I needed by the end of 1979...

Nomar
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Regardless how anyone feels, the fact that people want to trade him (generally) probably means his value isnt all too high at the moment. Suppose he does very well the first half of the year. Then you can consider trading him or keeping him because his contract is definitely reasonable.

Clay isn't reliable, that's the beef with him. He's a good guy to have in your rotation if you make the playoffs, but he unreliability due to health issues always makes him closer to a net negative during the regular season. You try to put him as a #2 or #3 starter in the pre-season, but he ends up either missing or pitching hurt/underperforming for around half of his starts anyway. Factor that in with the losses he has in his healthy half of the year and the starts your getting from the third slot in the rotation are going to be below average for sure. He's better off on a team with a couple very strong pitchers - a team that doesn't depend him too much to make the playoffs but uses him as a weapon once the playoffs begin. Our problem is that we expect him to be our second best starter, then get bit in the *** when he's hurt half for long stretches of time. If he's having a killer 1st half, I would like want to trade him; unless we're somehow serious contenders.

-Lavigne43-
02-12-2013, 01:27 PM
@PeteAbe
Buchholz just described his hamstring pull "as mild as can be." #RedSox

Doesn't sound like anything but a precaution because it's spring training. I'm sure it won't be that long until he gets a real injury to complain about.

bagwell368
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
@PeteAbe
Buchholz just described his hamstring pull "as mild as can be." #RedSox

Doesn't sound like anything but a precaution because it's spring training. I'm sure it won't be that long until he gets a real injury to complain about.

/thread

ManRam
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
It's day one of Spring Training. Minor injuries like these are gonna happen. Whatever....

Nomar
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
I pulled my hammy walking on ice to class today, so i can reciprocate.

mzg32
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Carajo!

bigbangclock
02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
it sounds like he needs spring training because he hasn't been stretching out his hamstrings too too much in the off season.seems to me this sox team needs to win back their audience and ought to come to ST hungry.

todu82
02-13-2013, 12:48 PM
No big deal. It's day to day, would be a bit different if it was a season ender.

Bo Sox Fan
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
^^ You ever hear the song by The Fixx...

"One thing leads to another"

MG956
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
No outrage. But tweeking a hammy can mean two things. Buchholz didn't do much off season stretching/conditioning which isn't a good move for a guy making nice money coming off a meh season.

Also, it means that any angst that Red Sox fans have (a ton in total) only gets another "WTF!" added to it, obviously only a physic injury, but, geez thanks I had all I needed by the end of 1979...

You nailed it on both counts.

1. What, is he phoning this job in? Pedroia probaly built up muscle in his ears during the off season, and Buch is down & out in an hour? My god...

2. Angst? I guess that's as good a word as any because I don't know wtf is going on anymore.

It's like there has been this dark cloud growing and engulfing our team over the last couple years. Bambino payback I guess. Come on, last year how many times did you tune into the game and we're 5 runs down by the second inning? I'm as big a fan as anybody but by the end of last year I tune the game in and we're down asap and I turn it off. I just couldn't take it any longer.

The pitching was bad top to bottom & start to finish. For the most part the pitching sucked the life out of this team. One problem I have is the bad beat Salty is taking for it. Did he tell Lester to throw cutters down inside 90% of the time? Did he tell Bard to boink batters off the head? Did he tell Buch to throw balls anywhere but the strike zone?

bagwell368
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Did he tell Bard to boink batters off the head? Did he tell Buch to throw balls anywhere but the strike zone?

Over time any individual situation averages out, the facts are:

1. Salty's ERA for BoSox pitchers over the past two years are worse (mostly much worse) than other catchers on staff.

2. This topic is being dealt with in another thread BTW

bagwell368
02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
BTW, the report on 98.5 I started this thread from said "Buchholz pulls hamstring in first hour of Red Sox workouts". FWIW.

RedSoxtober
02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Clay Buchholz threw 30 pitches of live batting practice and felt no pain in his right hamstring. Buchholz was injured on Feb. 12 during a fielding drill.

“I felt really good. The key for me today was mixing in my pitches and being down,” said Buchholz, whose next step will be a two-inning simulated game Saturday.

Manager John Farrell is encouraged. He said Buchholz has time to catch up to the other starters and will not be significantly set back.

“Not at this point. He basically missed one BP session. Given the additional days in this camp, he should be fine,” Farrell said.

Buchholz has yet to run at full speed since the strain. That will be the final test before he pitches in a game.

“It doesn’t bother me to throw off the mound. The question marks are going to be how long it’s going to be before I can go full speed from throwing a pitch and then having to cover first,” he said.Boston Globe

StryderSox
02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Boston Globe

Can we possibly bubble wrap him from the time he leaves the mound until the time he returns to the mound? I am also open to ideas of designing a kevlar uniform which he can pitch in.

Station 13
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
How longer is this high maintenance guy under contract?

Nomar
02-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Buchholz is just like Cal Ripken except that he's a pitcher that gets hurt every month.

RedSoxtober
02-27-2013, 01:19 PM
How longer is this high maintenance guy under contract?

Guaranteed through 2015; options for 2016 ($13M) and '17 ($13.5M).

Donjamin
03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Dude is made of glass. Here's to hoping our youngsters can step up this year.

Gillebride
03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of Buchholz, he's only making $5.5 million this year and $7.7 million next year. He'll be worth that if he pitches like a number five starter.

bagwell368
03-02-2013, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of Buchholz, he's only making $5.5 million this year and $7.7 million next year. He'll be worth that if he pitches like a number five starter.

He's had one really good year in his career. Nobody should hold their breath for a repeat.

Gillebride
03-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Who said anything about a repeat? The point is that you'd be hard pressed to acquire a 28 year old pitcher with a career ERA+ over 110 for $5.5 million.

bagwell368
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Who said anything about a repeat? The point is that you'd be hard pressed to acquire a 28 year old pitcher with a career ERA+ over 110 for $5.5 million.

Take out his outlier season and then figure in replacement level pitchers for all his missed starts, and voila, he's a replacement level pitcher.

AI
03-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I do agree that Buchholz is overrated and we should sell high if he has a good season this year.

wolf82
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I do agree that Buchholz is overrated and we should sell high if he has a good season this year.

I agree with this! If the sox are not in on a playoff spot by all star break I could see them also trading a few players i.e. Drew, Napoli, and possibly Ellsbury.

RaginRondo17
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Dempster screams trade-bait to me, especially if we are out of it.

RedSoxtober
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Dempster screams trade-bait to me, especially if we are out of it.

Not to me. $26M/2yr screams "holding the fort with quality innings while the core of the future staff develops". Some combination of Barnes, Webster, and RDLR all seem poised to move into the rotation during or immediately following the deal. I like the stability it brings during the transition.

bagwell368
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Not to me. $26M/2yr screams "holding the fort with quality innings while the core of the future staff develops". Some combination of Barnes, Webster, and RDLR all seem poised to move into the rotation during or immediately following the deal. I like the stability it brings during the transition.

If Lester, Doubront, and say Morales are holding down the fort, I can see Buchholz and Dempster both getting dealt. This team will be in a lot of trouble mentally if Ortiz has no timetable to come back on opening day. If we are 4 games under .500 at the deadline, why do we need aging solid players if we can turn them in for something viable?

MG956
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
If Lester, Doubront, and say Morales are holding down the fort, I can see Buchholz and Dempster both getting dealt. This team will be in a lot of trouble mentally if Ortiz has no timetable to come back on opening day. If we are 4 games under .500 at the deadline, why do we need aging solid players if we can turn them in for something viable?

You aren't really a cup-half-full guy, are you?

Not just you, it seems like half the people here are planning stategy for our collapse.

I'll give you 4 games over what you predicted, 82, and predict this team does +86 wins. Right here, right now.

Thats not bad since I am all for Salty, which you all have as crap, and the 2 times I have seen him this year he has stunk up the place.

bagwell368
03-05-2013, 09:37 PM
You aren't really a cup-half-full guy, are you?

Not just you, it seems like half the people here are planning stategy for our collapse.

I'll give you 4 games over what you predicted, 82, and predict this team does +86 wins. Right here, right now.

Thats not bad since I am all for Salty, which you all have as crap, and the 2 times I have seen him this year he has stunk up the place.

Mind leaving your fulminating at the door and rewriting this?

Predicted? I said if we are 4 games under .500 at the deadline - that's a supposition, that's not a prediction. As of right now I have them for 80 wins. If ST goes poorly, I'll adjust it down. If ST goes really well, I might tick it up a game or two.

This team is surrounded with questions (Ortiz, Napoli, WMB, LF, Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia, Lackey, Buchholz, Bard, Bailey, and more) . Like about 14 other teams if every single player stays healthy and has a top 3 career year, we win the WS. Well, that's not going to happen.

I like the pen. I think the SP's will do better than the last two years, but the hitting? That's the big issue this year. I think we have a chance to score the least runs for a Red Sox team since 1994 (552) - last year was the next least (734). So yeah I have us at 700-750 range right now - with about 700-760 runs allowed. That's a .500 team give or take. Oritz and Napoli play less than 200 games combined and hit below their joint average slash? It could be down to 625-650 runs scored on the year.

This team like next year could compete, or could get a lot of pieces dealt off. If we win say 83 and 87 the next two years I'll feel ripped off if we didn't trade anyone and tried to win. 2015 is when things can and should get better. So in order for a decent amount of trades in '13 and/or '14 I hope for .500 seasons both years.

Expecting to win every year is puerile - in particular with such a dicey roster. You want to have all rah rah fans? Go to the Celtic board, they all worship the Celts no matter what over there - even in the face of buckets of contrary evidence.

RedSoxtober
03-06-2013, 04:06 PM

IMO it's like renting an apartment vs buying a home. Most people want to be in a house as quickly as possible but renting an apartment is the cost of patience along the way. Likewise, we keep guys like Dempster because they represent patience with the prospects.

By every indication, RDLR will spend the season in AAA building innings with Webster and Barnes working their way up (and Barnes proving that April/May was no fluke). For me it would take much more than being within X games of .500 to compromise any of that. At the very least Wright would need to look like he was ready for MLB action (I'd be far more willing to compromise the trick pitch than one of the others). I'd probably have to be blown away with an offer for Buccholz, less so for Dempster (heading back to the NL).

I'm actually guessing that a deal for Morales is the most likely of the SP candidates. A hard-throwing LHP with good K-rates is always a binkie for the MLB FOs; seems like the best return comes from Franklin given that and his salary.