PDA

View Full Version : Lakers defense and the Howard trade revisited

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Part I: What most people do not know is that the Lakers run almost exactly the same defensive schemes as the Miami Heat but they have the wrong personnel to coach them and the wrong type of players to carry it out. For Howard, the defense is very tiring because it requires everyone to stay active and help-defense (Imagine helping one of the slowest back-courts) on almost every possession. Howard is getting a lot of flack for his commitment to the Lakers strategy and they have a good case but lets face is Howard is not Bynum. Howard sees himself as a top 3 player in the league and the primary facilitator on offense and defense but the Lakers are more likely to use him in setting picks that have him post up. I do understand that many Lakers fan say he does not post-up enough but you can't blame him for following the Coach's strategy and also blame him for not been aggressive enough on the offense. The Lakers basically conceded defense when they signed Steve Nash, a guy (like Amare) that seem to always have coaches that emphasize offense and you can't all of a sudden change him to a defensive player at this point of his career.

Part II: The Howard trade is one of the most inconsequential trades in Nba history. First of all, the Lakers front-court was not their problem and Bynum seems to fit in better and more comfortable with a team that relies heavily on guards to run the offense. Secondly, there is nothing Howard brings to the table that Bynum cannot already do for the Lakers. Rebounding nor scoring was never the Lakers problem, you can even make the case that Bynum is better emotionally fit to play with someone like Kobe (and the drama he brings) than Howard. Kobe has said many things about Bynum over the years but Bynum never let it affect him or his play, I can recall when Kobe was caught on camera asking the Lakers to trade Bynum for a old Jason Kidd. Imagine if he had said same about Howard, it could have destroyed team chemistry and Kobe will be sitting on only 3 championships by now. Bynum never let that bother him neither did he let trade rumors affect his approach to the game. Finally, the problem that Lakers had against the Thunder was their bench and instead of fixing what is broke, they went out and break what was working and now all is left for them is a struggle for .500 and a prayer for the 8th seed in the west to avoid major embarrassment.

How can the Lakers not look back and move forward? It might start with trading Howard or Kobe for first round draft picks and a star that can make them a bit relevant till they develop the next crop of Laker players. At this point the fix is hard because they have basically gambled away their future for this team but it doesn't seem to be working. Yes they will win a couple games here and there that will make people think they can still get it together but as we can see they tend to lack chemistry on and off the court, and the most likely outcome is that the team is on the cusp of a major blow-up and split locker room.

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
In addition, the best available option is to see if they can pry Josh Smith, Al Hoford and a pick for Howard, MWP and Earl Clark. That will still leave the Lakers with a average bench but they can atleast begin their restructuring process.

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
:yawn:

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I bore you? I was looking for your contribution not yawn. Or atleast have some courtesy and don't respond at all. No need for that.

jmoney85
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
In addition, the best available option is to see if they can pry Josh Smith, Al Hoford and a pick for Howard, MWP and Earl Clark. That will still leave the Lakers with a average bench but they can atleast begin their restructuring process.

you must be out of your god damn mind if you atl would make that trade lol

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:45 PM
you must be out of your god damn mind if you atl would make that trade lol

The Hawks are looking to make a trade for J Smith according to nba sources, I don't think it is as impossible as you make is seem.

Kinkotheclown
02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Howard plays without heart, without passion, doesn't work hard, complains about not having talent and now that he does, he complains that they are unfair for wanting him to play better (if Nash is getting in your face you are really doing something wrong) and now he's complaining that people are trying to hurt his shoulder. He is a prima donna, a whiner and he will cause a whole heap of crap anywhere he goes.
I hope for the Lakers sake, they cut their losses and trade him, although I don't know anyone that would want him for anywhere near what LA gave up to get him. If they cannot trade him, let him walk. This guy is entitled, spoiled and a pain in the arse. He's not worth it.
He could change. He has tremendous physical ability but right now, send him packin'

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Howard plays without heart, without passion, doesn't work hard, complains about not having talent and now that he does, he complains that they are unfair for wanting him to play better (if Nash is getting in your face you are really doing something wrong) and now he's complaining that people are trying to hurt his shoulder. He is a prima donna, a whiner and he will cause a whole heap of crap anywhere he goes.
I hope for the Lakers sake, they cut their losses and trade him, although I don't know anyone that would want him for anywhere near what LA gave up to get him. If they cannot trade him, let him walk. This guy is entitled, spoiled and a pain in the arse. He's not worth it.
He could change. He has tremendous physical ability but right now, send him packin'

He went to the finals with a team that did not have a single All-Star. I disagree that he does not play with "heart" or "passion", he simply is put in a system that is not working for him or the team. Surround him with 3 point shooters and defensive players willing to play insideout and the team will be better off IMO.

Iron24th
02-11-2013, 06:24 PM
The positive with dwight playing like this is that we'll not miss him if he leaves.

Kinkotheclown
02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
He went to the finals with a team that did not have a single All-Star. I disagree that he does not play with "heart" or "passion", he simply is put in a system that is not working for him or the team. Surround him with 3 point shooters and defensive players willing to play insideout and the team will be better off IMO.
You're right, he went to the finals with a no name group. But he also complained about a team the next year that he felt was not up to par with him. Now he is on a team with proven winners and leaders, the type of team he wanted to be on and he is complaining.
He is not playing hard right now. Players that I consider to have heart and passion, play all out every game no matter how good or bad their team is. Howard is playing like a brat imo. He isn't playing hard. He is playing with guys who work hard and play with passion every night. He does not. He may play hard or with passion sometimes but I don't think that cuts it. It needs to be in practice, in games.
The lakers are slow and he has to do more on D. But he's supposed to be a D superstar and he isn't playing like it.
You may be correct about the type of team he needs around him but I think he would find something about which to whine.
I am soured on this guy. I don't like his play, his excuses or his attitude.

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
You're right, he went to the finals with a no name group. But he also complained about a team the next year that he felt was not up to par with him. Now he is on a team with proven winners and leaders, the type of team he wanted to be on and he is complaining.
He is not playing hard right now. Players that I consider to have heart and passion, play all out every game no matter how good or bad their team is. Howard is playing like a brat imo. He isn't playing hard. He is playing with guys who work hard and play with passion every night. He does not. He may play hard or with passion sometimes but I don't think that cuts it. It needs to be in practice, in games.
The lakers are slow and he has to do more on D. But he's supposed to be a D superstar and he isn't playing like it.
You may be correct about the type of team he needs around him but I think he would find something about which to whine.
I am soured on this guy. I don't like his play, his excuses or his attitude.

Basketball is about the team not the individual. Some players are very successful in some teams (Gordon/Bulls) and have difficulties in others. Just because he is playing with "proven winners" do not mean that the team is better. The Piston's team that won their latest championship did not have stars but they had a team with chemistry, if Kobe or any other super star was on that team, I doubt they will make it that far.

chad78
02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
How much do you guys think he regrets asking for a trade now? He would of been better off just staying in Orlando were the offense was run to benefit him, o well I'm glad he is gone and I'm also glad he is struggling so bad, grass is not always greener on the other side now is it dwight

King41
02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
i think dwight has lost his heart a little bit in Lala land same for the passion and fun of basketball, if he comes into a situation who he can start once again i'm sure he will be dominant force again.
Wish he would come to dallas but in this new days money talks that's it!