PDA

View Full Version : Nash's anger at Howard was very real

eternal slumber
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=229588

never heard Nash had been mad at anybody before, until now.

Byronicle
02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Dwight is not healthy

Its frustrating for him

But he's taking out his frustrations the wrong way

He'll be out of LA

Sly Guy
02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
crazy. I didn't think it was possible.....

TheWhiteMamba
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
LA needs to cut their losses with him and find a deal. He is becoming a cancer.

eternal slumber
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
does anyone think Howard will be gone by trade deadline?

waveycrockett
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Honestly this is awesome.

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't blame Nash. Howard has been slow or out of synch on pick and roll. He'd rather "have the ball." But the problem is he can't score in those situations because he keeps getting stripped. I bet Nash wishes he had Bynum or Pau at center more often.

waveycrockett
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
does anyone think Howard will be gone by trade deadline?

No I'm sure the Lakers FO thinks too highly of themselves to admit they made a mistake with Howard.

FreakaNashur
02-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Wow, for nash to be pissed at you is telling you something

Sly Guy
02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
it's a dysfunctional family.

Kobe wants to win another 'ship so he can call himself as good as MJ.
Nash wants to win his first
Pau's been playing with Kobe long enough to know that if he doesn't play hard, he'll eat it in the media, the locker room,, and just about everywhere else Kobe can get his hands on him.
Howard wants to pose for pictures.

eternal slumber
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
No I'm sure the Lakers FO thinks too highly of themselves to admit they made a mistake with Howard.

but if they don't trade him by the deadline, he will be gone this off-season without any compensation for it.

the way thing in LA this year, i wouldn't be suprised if Howard walk away from a very lucrative contract just to get away from the Lakers.

eternal slumber
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Wow, for nash to be pissed at you is telling you something

seems like the situation there is so bad, even the like of Nash had to make his frustration be known.

bahama0811
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Howard can't coexist on that team, the Lakers just need to trade him and end this saga.

Enzo
02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Howard has just become a cancer and a cry baby. I gave him a pass with the Orlando nonsense but then the drama continues. Even with all of his talent I'm not sure I'd want him on my team as crazy as that may sound.

HighCHWRoller07
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
I hope dwight gets traded to Toronto or New Orleans, I'm so tired of hearing about this guy.

THE GIPPER
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
I cant believe how immaturely Howard has handled all this...

HighCHWRoller07
02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Or better yet, get the surgery done and call it a day. I am honestly starting to dislike him more than lebron

Baller1
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Music to my ears. **** the Lakers.

FachoinaNYY
02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
All this trade talk.... WHO would they trade him for?

I don't think the Lakers would consider trading him, even with the risk of losing him for nothing, unless they get a comparable package in return. The problem is that package is almost impossible to get. So again, WHO is the target?

jimm120
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Or better yet, get the surgery done and call it a day. I am honestly starting to dislike him more than lebron

I bet Howard is waiting for the trade deadline. If he gets traded, no surgery. If he stays on the lakers, surgery the next day lol

beliges
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Dwight is not healthy

Its frustrating for him

But he's taking out his frustrations the wrong way

He'll be out of LA

I think for Howard's future he needs to go.somewhere else. He needs to.go.somewhere that is not the biggest NBA stage and somewhere with less pressure to perform. He has been significantly exposed under the limelight of the Lakers and his effortless performances have really been a major reason the team is among the worst in the NBA..

sp1derm00
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
We've all pretty much guessed that Dwight was the problem with this team this season and this just confirms it.

Nash has been calling out Dwight and now they're actually angry with each other on the court. NASH!

Get Dwight out of LA!!! This season might be ruined, but Nash, Kobe, and Pau will have a good run at it next season if we can get the right pieces for Dwight.

DoMeFavors
02-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Team isnt there for Dwight, he isnt 100% and he is getting the blame. He has an ego. He isnt going to stand for this, I think he leaves. Players dont appreciate him. And what is Steve Nash to talk about Dwight. Steve will never be at Dwights level in his life. He got 2 MVPS that might be the worst back to back MVPS ever. It was Stern who wanted a white guy to get an MVP. Dwight is 10x the player Nash ever was.

Stinkyoutsider
02-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I honestly gave Howard the benefit of the doubt in Orlando. The Magic continued to find players to put with him and it didn't work out. It was right of him to look for a new situation and to give the Magic a heads up to tell them he wouldn't be back with the team.

No more free passes for Howard from me after this last episode. How can Howard complain that he's not getting the ball enough from Nash? A guy who averaged double figures in assists in his prime. Is Howard calling Nash selfish? Furthest from the truth imo.

Sad thing is, teams around the league will want this guy and will give him a max deal. He's counterproductive to a team because he always has to be the lead guy and focus of the team. And sadly, this is all he knows. In Orlando, they catered to him and let him have run of the team and locker room. When he got to LA, he ran into someone called Kobe and he didn't like it. Howard isn't the top of the pecking order and he can't stand it.

I honestly think his less than Howard like play has less to do with his back/shoulder and more with him not enjoying his run with the Lakers. His heart isn't in it and I can see it. He has almost no energy or urgency out there. With Howard being the way he is, the Lakers shouldn't want him back. But one thing he'll do no matter what is sell tickets and make money for the organization. And the lakers can't do without that.

shep33
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
This isn't the first time he and Howard have gotten into a heated exchange. Nash is frustrated because Howard's timing is off on P&R. He thinks of it like this, at least in my opinion: If he can make Gortat look unreal, he expects Howard at 75% to look better.

Howard has looked disinterested in P&R. He says he wants the ball on the block. No offense, but any team who just dumps the ball down to Howard 10-15 times a game isn't going to win anything

fresh prince
02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
but if they don't trade him by the deadline, he will be gone this off-season without any compensation for it.

the way thing in LA this year, i wouldn't be suprised if Howard walk away from a very lucrative contract just to get away from the Lakers.

Thats ok too that money will then go elsewhere..Id rather have that happen than not get fair value back. Which is what will definitely happen now. Howard is a shell of himself athletically and mentally he is a wreck.

Why does he want the ball in the post when he has no post moves? Its like Deandre Jordan yelling at people to foul him.

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
This isn't the first time he and Howard have gotten into a heated exchange. Nash is frustrated because Howard's timing is off on P&R. He thinks of it like this, at least in my opinion: If he can make Gortat look unreal, he expects Howard at 75% to look better.

Howard has looked disinterested in P&R. He says he wants the ball on the block. No offense, but any team who just dumps the ball down to Howard 10-15 times a game isn't going to win anythingExactly! Why have Steve Nash then? It's not rocket science. If Dwight doesn't want to thrive under Steve Nash's P&R excellency, LA isn't for him. It'd be different if Dwight was actually good with the ball by himself like Pau Gasol.

I also think it can be agreed that Dwight's best games during this dreadful season have been courtesy of several alley oops and easy baskets. If he believes he's so good with the ball by himself, then why does he need to be spoon fed?

king4day
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Team isnt there for Dwight, he isnt 100% and he is getting the blame. He has an ego. He isnt going to stand for this, I think he leaves. Players dont appreciate him. And what is Steve Nash to talk about Dwight. Steve will never be at Dwights level in his life. He got 2 MVPS that might be the worst back to back MVPS ever. It was Stern who wanted a white guy to get an MVP. Dwight is 10x the player Nash ever was.

I usually stay away from your posts but don't bring up the MVPs. To this point, I would take Nash's career over Howards every day of the week. You won't find many who would disagree. Howard is a mess mentally and physically.

And unless I missed something, I didn't read that Nash was irate at the guy. Just that he's frustrated it's taking this long to get a chemistry (A reason I hate threads with a link to an article but not the quote to show the point being made)

Sinattle
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Problem solved: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8jyunny

deftonesrule
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
youtube clip please

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Problem solved: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8jyunnyYeah, right, dude. You're dreaming. Dwight's worth both Carmelo & Amare.

strahan92osi72
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Problem solved: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8jyunny

LOL in all seriousness though Amare has played well of late. I'm sure the Lakers would rather Chandler though. I wonder if the Knicks would do a Howard for Chandler swap.

strahan92osi72
02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, right, dude. You're dreaming. Dwight's worth both Carmelo & Amare.

LOL no, just no.

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
LOL no, just no.LOL, I'm reaching, but he's worth more than Amare.

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
LOL in all seriousness though Amare has played well of late. I'm sure the Lakers would rather Chandler though. I wonder if the Knicks would do a Howard for Chandler swap.Why? Chandler is good defensively, but offensively not much. Less ego, maybe.

strahan92osi72
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
LOL, I'm reaching, but he's worth more than Amare.

I disagree. Howard brings all kind of baggage to any team. His health and attitude s**k. Plus, even when he's healthy, he's dramatically overrated. You can't trust him in crunch time because he never makes the big shot, and furthermore teams can just foul him and he's a guarantee to miss big free throws down the stretch most of the time. People kill Chandler's offense, Howard's offense is not much better if any better at all. He only averages more PPG because he shoots more than Chandler. Howard is a beast on D and on the boards no question, but he's too much of an offensively liability to be worth much more than Amare.

strahan92osi72
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Why? Chandler is good defensively, but offensively not much. Less ego, maybe.

See my post. And at least Chandler can make some free throws.

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I disagree. Howard brings all kind of baggage to any team. His health and attitude s**k. Plus, even when he's healthy, he's dramatically overrated. You can't trust him in crunch time because he never makes the big shot, and furthermore teams can just foul him and he's a guarantee to miss big free throws down the stretch most of the time. People kill Chandler's offense, Howard's offense is not much better if any better at all. He only averages more PPG because he shoots more than Chandler. Howard is a beast on D and on the boards no question, but he's too much of an offensively liability to be worth much more than Amare.I just don't see it that way, man. Amare is just as much of a defensive liability and injury prone. He's gotten better recently, but keeps phasing out.

strahan92osi72
02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I just don't see it that way, man. Amare is just as much of a defensive liability and injury prone. He's gotten better recently, but keeps phasing out.

Nobody wants Amare because of his knees, I agree. But I'm not sure Howard is worth all that much. But I was really answering that other posters trade proposal. That's when I said I think something like Chandler + Shumpert for Howard would make more sense. You don't need another offensive PF when you already have Gasol. I think Gasol and Chandler would form a great front court because their games would mesh better than Gasol and Howard IMO. I'm not sure either side would do that deal though, because the Knicks love Chandler.

Sactown
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I just don't see it that way, man. Amare is just as much of a defensive liability and injury prone. He's gotten better recently, but keeps phasing out.
La would rather let Dwight walk and save Cap space for the future, than take on that kind of contract, it's too long and it's too much, it would ruin the future for them. It's no secret Amare isn't as explosive anymore, and while he's doing well as the 6th/7th man he isn't a player you can play for 30+ minutes for 82 games, he'll wear down, and it's not wise to invest a max contract into a player who can't last a full season with a heavy load.. Anyone who can't see that is delusional. I don't see Dwight walking, because there aren't really any contenders who can give him the max next season and I don't see him turning down the money.

LA4life24/8
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
itd have to be something like chandler+amare+fillers for dwight+fillers, a deal id almost make at this point with how well amares been doing since hes been back, if amares contract wasnt so god awful for THREE years

tp13baby
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
I knew Bynum would of been better than Howard in LA. Im happy they hooked us up with Iggy though,

LA4life24/8
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
but really id rather dwight just step it up, like i know hes worried about his future/being hurt but heres the deal, if he says hed re-sign with the lakers in the offseason ending all debate, if he gets hurt and has to sit, guess what in the offseason the lakers would STILL pay him a MAX contract for MAX effort... hes just bein a little punto "idk where i wanna be at the end of the summer" blah blah blah, if you cant handle LA gtfo

LA4life24/8
02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I knew Bynum would of been better than Howard in LA. Im happy they hooked us up with Iggy though,

ida almost rather done bynum for iggy straight up at this point, iggy woulda given us a wing defender and someone to run with nash an athletic slasher on offense, man the team would at least have the same record it does right now, guarenteed

Sactown
02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
itd have to be something like chandler+amare+fillers for dwight+fillers, a deal id almost make at this point with how well amares been doing since hes been back, if amares contract wasnt so god awful for THREE years

No way La, likes flexibility, and They're both overpaid players, regardless of what you believe, LA could get much better players with like 36Mill a year.

LA4life24/8
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
^^^ i know i was just referencing to what the other posters were talking about above my post, someone had posted amare for dwight straight up, and the other said no wed rather have chandler instead, and i was saying that dwight was worth em both basically, so more so some what agreeing with you

and trust me if we dealt dwight thats not exactly the deal i think id want lol i NEVER liked amares game, and chandler is good but offensive liability, and as you and i both stated amares contract is ugly

3RDASYSTEM
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
LA needs to cut their losses with him and find a deal. He is becoming a cancer.

Cut the losses of the cancer who seems to call SHAQ fat and PAU needs his swan and has to score 30ppg to feel involved and then take out NASH from being NASH and putting a PG on weakside of the ball where you SG is supposed to be

yea the same guy who copies JORDAN and everybody is brainwashed by it and says he the closest we've saw to JORDAN, like yea he took his entire persona right?

its funny how media/fans are scared to call out a guy who ran off SHAQ fresh off of 4Finals app in 5yrs and I want to say a combined WCF/NBA Finals of 6 in 8yrs, so yeah the cancer has always been there, along with the 5rings, which I guess is the cancer eliminator, child please

if any other backupguard turned starter for any other team called out HOF'er/perennial allstar caliber players the media/fans would laugh and have field day, rings sure do cloud a persons judgement

mdm692
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah they should trade him to a small market team to stick it to him. Phoenix perhaps :rolleyes:.

jmoney85
02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
http://thesportsculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/lopez1.jpg

Sactown
02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
^^^ i know i was just referencing to what the other posters were talking about above my post, someone had posted amare for dwight straight up, and the other said no wed rather have chandler instead, and i was saying that dwight was worth em both basically, so more so some what agreeing with you

and trust me if we dealt dwight thats not exactly the deal i think id want lol i NEVER liked amares game, and chandler is good but offensive liability, and as you and i both stated amares contract is ugly

They both have ugly contracts in LA's eyes, they only pay big contracts to genuine stars, and role players simply come cheaper. I don't think there's a trade out their that makes sense for LA..
I don't think LA want's a young player with potential as they're always in win now mode. They don't want to overpaid role players

ManRam
02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I ALMOST feel bad for Dwight. If he entered the Lakers at 100% I'd imagine things would be soo much smoother. There's no time for patience in LA, so pair that up with his perceived (perhaps/probably correct) character flaws and he's got no shot. Everything he does or doesn't do is under a microscope. Everyone is talking about him and over-analyzing him because of that, and NOT at a normal level either, even for LA. I still firmly believe that he can be the franchise cornerstone for that team, but the circus might just run him out of town...and that's the circus' fault, not his. Why would anyone, be it Dwight or anyone, wanna deal with that ****?

Nash's frustrations with Dwight seem valid, it his P&R play was always something I picked on. I laughed at the Lakers fans before the season saying they now have the best P&R PG and P&R big man, because Dwight never was that. I think Nash's frustrations could be bigger though. He's not playing the role he and probably all of us expected.

Re-signing him still has to be the priority. Why prioritize an old/over-the-hill PG or an older, but not quite over-the-hill SG? It's stupid.

And letting him walk isn't gonna help them out in the short term. Even without him they'll be over the cap. It's not like they could sign anyone.

Sactown
02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
La's biggest competitor is Dallas since they have the cap to offer him a max, but even than, Dwight's walking away from a lot of money and LA. He might do it, but again, who can offer anything LA would want?

Dwight only is willing to go to a few teams from my understand
Atlanta to go home and play with Josh smith, and they have nothing to offer and the only way they could sign him is to sign Josh to a max as well, leaving them with nothing and half a roster to fill, and he'd be in a similar position to Orlando

Dallas, which can offer him a max, put him next to dirk and Marion, but they'd still have a lot of roster spots to fill with little money, but a good fit, as long as OJ Mayo doesn't opt out and look for more money.

Brooklyn, they have nothing to offer that LA would be interested in, unless LA decides they can build around Brook Lopez (unlikely)

Seems to me the only place he'd leave in free agency is Dallas, and I just don't think he will walk away from 20 Million to do it, especially if Dantoni is fired and they try to convince Dwight to stay.

BlinkManJan02
02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Tell me when Howard becomes the OFFICIAL Joke of the league. who would want this clown on their team..other than a small market team that needs attendance?

TopsyTurvy
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Nash's criticism is far from scathing. The Lakers coaching staff still hasn't found the proper way to engage Dwight offensively. They are asking for compromise from a big man who typically bullies his way around the paint to get his points and instead looking for some finesse up top. Dwight is far from the ideal pick and roll player Nash has played with in Amare (and to a lesser degree Gasol) and yet a majority of the Lakers first offensive move in a set is the high-screen from Dwight.

The only offensive plan the Lakers are executing well is the "find-Kobe-in-the-post-and-crash-the-boards."

Sactown
02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Nash's criticism is far from scathing. The Lakers coaching staff still hasn't found the proper way to engage Dwight offensively. They are asking for compromise from a big man who typically bullies his way around the paint to get his points and instead looking for some finesse up top. Dwight is far from the ideal pick and roll player Nash has played with in Amare (and to a lesser degree Gasol) and yet a majority of the Lakers first offensive move in a set is the high-screen from Dwight.

The only offensive plan the Lakers are executing well is the "find-Kobe-in-the-post-and-crash-the-boards."

This, I don't think the Lakers have found a system that works yet, but I don't believe Dwight is trying to buy into the system, seems pretty adamant that he wants to do things his way, or the high way.. I think a big part of that is he doesn't believe Dantoni's system will work.. Either way, they need to find a way to get on the same page because it's clearly driving the team apart and a huge part of the frustration from both sides

shep33
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
I dunno, I'm not buying Dwight not getting more points off of P&R. Nash could do it with Gortat, Dwight just doesn't seem engaged in doing it either. He's complained about wanting the ball on the block this year. Maybe we should give it to him more down there, but at the same time, I read he turns it over like 20-30% of the time down there, plus teams just send him to the line if he gets beat.

Dwight is a freak of nature in terms of athletic ability. No reason why he shouldn't be getting 8-10 points off of P&R with Nash. He needs to add this to his game imo, this way it becomes more difficult for teams to foul him prior to getting a shot off.

jmoney85
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
dwight never wanted LA... don't know why this is a surprise to anybody

ManRam
02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Tell me when Howard becomes the OFFICIAL Joke of the league. who would want this clown on their team..other than a small market team that needs attendance?

And this is why, even though I dislike the man, I'm finding myself defending him.

Has everyone caught amnesia with Dwight? We seriously forget how great he was in Orlando?

What's happening here this year is an aberration. I'd bet my life on that.

Sactown
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I dunno, I'm not buying Dwight not getting more points off of P&R. Nash could do it with Gortat, Dwight just doesn't seem engaged in doing it either. He's complained about wanting the ball on the block this year. Maybe we should give it to him more down there, but at the same time, I read he turns it over like 20-30% of the time down there, plus teams just send him to the line if he gets beat.

Dwight is a freak of nature in terms of athletic ability. No reason why he shouldn't be getting 8-10 points off of P&R with Nash. He needs to add this to his game imo, this way it becomes more difficult for teams to foul him prior to getting a shot off.
Clearly he isn't near full health athletically and that's affecting his finishing, but he seems like he's going through the motions on offense, he's slipping screens instead of setting good solid screens, which is why he isn't getting open, also he just doesn't seem to want to buy into the Dantoni's system and he's so excluded on offense his game get's into a funk and he get's uninterested

THE MTL
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
It is more than just health for Dwight Howard. So stop giving him that excuse ppl. LA isnt asking him to jump as high or score as much or run as hard, he just isnt getting "it" on the court.

Im so glad, this clown is being exposed in LAL. This is what you get for whining and complaining for 1 1/2 years in Orlando where you were in a good situation.

TopsyTurvy
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM

Dwight's pick and roll game is easily represented statistically over at Hoopdata. Across his CAREER Dwight is averaging .5 attempts from 10-15 ft. per game and shooting a whopping 23% on .3 attempts from 16-23 ft. per game. Oh and those assist numbers - they are abysmal as well - averaging just under 2 AST per game with a heavy majority going to an open jump shooter while also averaging right around 3 TO's per game. Comparing those numbers to other effective pick and roll players is an absolute joke.

Dwight is a big that cannot step out and consistently score off the pick and pop, does not roll with much more than head of steam (this is where the Lakers need to engage him more), and cannot pass with precision anywhere. The Lakers on the other hand are working off of the template Pau has provided who shoots efficiently from distance and is arguably the best passing big in the game currently - oh, and he's unselfish with the ball.

The coaching staff are asking Dwight to do something he has never done well in his career and the media are lambasting the guy for everything but the reason he is actually struggling on court.

eugene
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
dunno but Shaq always said this guy is not smth special

Sactown
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Dwight's pick and roll game is easily represented statistically over at Hoopdata. Across his CAREER Dwight is averaging .5 attempts from 10-15 ft. per game and shooting a whopping 23% on .3 attempts from 16-23 ft. per game. Oh and those assist numbers - they are abysmal as well - averaging just under 2 AST per game with a heavy majority going to an open jump shooter while also averaging right around 3 TO's per game. Comparing those numbers to other effective pick and roll players is an absolute joke.

Dwight is a big that cannot step out and consistently score off the pick and pop, does not roll with much more than head of steam (this is where the Lakers need to engage him more), and cannot pass with precision anywhere. The Lakers on the other hand are working off of the template Pau has provided who shoots efficiently from distance and is arguably the best passing big in the game currently. The Lakers are asking him to do something he has never done well in his career and the media are lambasting the guy for everything but the reason he is actually struggling on court.

I don't think Dwight has been setting solid pick in roles because it's become obvious he doesn't think he's going to get the ball back in return, yesterday against the Heat he was called out on it.. I think their needs to be more of a plan to set a good pick in roll, swing the ball to the side, and give him a good entry pass into the post. and I don't think that's the emphasis that Mike D is giving them.. I'm sure he's tired of not getting the ball and just has become uninterested.

More-Than-Most
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
This is pretty shocking. You have to really **** Nash Over to get him angry lol

D-Leethal
02-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Dwight has been giving the most half assed pick and roll attempts I have ever seen. His rolls are soft as **** and puts no pressure on the D to double down or overhelp on him. I don't want to hear nonsense about him not being able to pop. Tyson has way less offensive game than Dwight, can't step outside, can't dribble, can't pass, yet is one of the most effective pick and roll guys in the game because he sets tremendous screens and rolls hard or trails the PG for putbacks. Dwight can be extremely effective if he gave a ****. He wants the ball in the post so he can shut up Shaq but Dwight is a horrible post up player.

TopsyTurvy
02-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Dwight has been giving the most half assed pick and roll attempts I have ever seen. Tyson has way less offensive game than Dwight, can't step outside, can't dribble, can't pass, yet is one of the most effective pick and roll guys in the game because he sets tremendous screens and rolls hard or trails the PG for putbacks.

Tyson Chandler was coached by Bill Cartwright (a triangle offense running bigman) and Scott Skiles (one of the better coaches in the NBA across his career) - you can be assured the principles of the pick and roll were thoroughly ingrained into Tyson after he came out of High School. Dwight has NEVER been asked to play this way.

I'm sure he's tired of not getting the ball and just has become uninterested.

This is a complete misconception. Dwight doesn't want the ball for the selfish reason of wanting touches, padding stats, or any of that other garbage people attribute to his demeanor. It's a struggle for sure, but Dwight simply NEEDS the ball to be effective offensively because his only other strength, and it's a big one, is his rebounding. He does nothing else offensively but clog the lane when he isn't 'beasting' on the low blocks and being fed down low.

Yes, the ball could find Dwight more in "rolling," though it may be effective at creating fouls, Dwight is not efficient at converting such opportunities and is really a poor passer.

The Lakers are stuck in the dubious position of feeding Dwight in the post or feeding Kobe in the post - both players need the ball to produce.

kubernetes
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Has he never watched film of Nash and Amare? Nash can feed you 10 easy buckets a game if do his PnR right.

Patriot Pride
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
What they need to do if fire D'antoni and bring Phil Jackson back.

D-Leethal
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Tyson Chandler was coached by Bill Cartwright (a triangle offense running bigman) and Scott Skiles (one of the better coaches in the NBA across his career) - you can be assured the principles of the pick and roll were thoroughly ingrained into Tyson after he came out of High School. Dwight has NEVER been asked to play this way.

This is a complete misconception. Dwight doesn't want the ball for the selfish reason of wanting touches, padding stats, or any of that other garbage people attribute to his demeanor. It's a struggle for sure, but Dwight simply NEEDS the ball to be effective offensively because his only other strength, and it's a big one, is his rebounding. He does nothing else offensively but clog the lane when he isn't 'beasting' on the low blocks and being fed down low.

Yes, the ball could find Dwight more in "rolling," though it may be effective at creating fouls, Dwight is not efficient at converting such opportunities and is really a poor passer.

The Lakers are stuck in the dubious position of feeding Dwight in the post or feeding Kobe in the post - both players need the ball to produce.

IIRC, wasn't the 1-5 high pick and roll with 3 point shooters the staple of the SVG offense?

I remember when Orlando went to the finals, Mike D, who was coaching Knicks at the time, was asked about their high pick and roll + potent 3 point attack, and said something along the lines of 'its always nice to see a team utilizing the type of basketball you preach and winning at the highest level'.

I also remember Dwight *****ing about his post touches with SVG as well, and complaining he was mainly used as a PnR decoy for the 3 point shooters.

WAYNEBO
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
He and STAT have something in common... uselessness in the open floor when outside of sets. At least Amare has a jump shot. I wouldn't trade Mario Chalmers -- the greatest PG of our era -- for this diva.

shep33
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Nah I'm not buying that he cant be a p&r player. Ive seen him go high screen and roll in Orlando many times.By altering his game slightly he could be getting 10 points just off that each game. When he rolls he can also seel his man but Dwight for some reason has been crap sealing guys on the block. I'm not saying that he should significantly alter his game, but P&R with Chandler should be an example for him to add to his game.

Chronz
02-11-2013, 05:07 PM

IIRC, wasn't the 1-5 high pick and roll with 3 point shooters the staple of the SVG offense?

I remember when Orlando went to the finals, Mike D, who was coaching Knicks at the time, was asked about their high pick and roll + potent 3 point attack, and said something along the lines of 'its always nice to see a team utilizing the type of basketball you preach and winning at the highest level'.

I also remember Dwight *****ing about his post touches with SVG as well, and complaining he was mainly used as a PnR decoy for the 3 point shooters.
Yeah but Dwight rarely scored as a result of those plays, that usually freed up their shooters. Dwight being this great pnr player was a media driven take imo

TopsyTurvy
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Absolutely, except now Dwight is surrounded by a team that is far less efficient than that Magic team at shooting the ball from the perimeter and Dwight is not getting the ball in the low post because Kobe is THAT much more efficient, Pau is a better offensive threat in general, etc.

I agree with your point that Dwight is uninterested in the PnR game, but in many regards he's never been interested in it as much as is needed or asked to be with this Lakers roster.

Great post!

LA4life24/8
02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
^^^ off topic but that girl in your sig :drool::drool::drool:

J4KOP99
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Dwight is offensively challenged. He begs for the ball on the block but then get's it stripped 75% of the time. He also can't handle double teams... and the lakers don't have enough shooters to spread the floor so defenses can collapse on him. Also, d'antoni chooses to play him out there w/o Kobe or Nash at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th quarter so he has nobody to get him the ball and no one to take pressure off of him.

theres a bunch of problems here. It's not just using dwight in different sets.

jmoney85
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
He and STAT have something in common... uselessness in the open floor when outside of sets. At least Amare has a jump shot. I wouldn't trade Mario Chalmers -- the greatest PG of our era -- for this diva.

:laugh:

not gonna lie that was funny

DR_1
02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Trade Dwight to Charlotte for their pick. Sick of hearing about him.

ManRam
02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah but Dwight rarely scored as a result of those plays, that usually freed up their shooters. Dwight being this great pnr player was a media driven take imo

Seriously.

He should in theory be great at it, especially with Nash, but he never really has been.

And let's not act like Nash is the PG he was...or is in control of the offense nearly as much as he was in his prime. I think it's a stretch to say he's even close to the primary ball handler.

ManRam
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM

I know you're joking, but Charlotte, or any team that knows he won't re-sign there, isn't ever gonna do it.

The Lakers aren't gonna get a good offer for Dwight. It's not worth it to trade him. It's a risk to keep him for a number of reasons, but I still think the risk is worth it. The alternatives kinda suck.

Losoway
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
as a fellow laker hater. this has been the best season for me .

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I'll say Chalmers is a top 3 defensive pg currently in the game only behind Wesbrook and CP3. Chalmers has been more stellar on defense than super stars like Derrick Rose from college to the NBA.

Losoway
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
i bet if dwight would have went to the nets which he wanted to go in the first place. he would have been playing way better .HE DOES NOT LIKE IT IN LA WITH KOBE . IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT INJURY CRAP

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
:laugh:

not gonna lie that was funny

I'll say Chalmers is a top 3 defensive pg currently in the game only behind Wesbrook and CP3. Chalmers has been more stellar on defense than super stars like Derrick Rose from college to the NBA.

Sactown
02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
The Lakers need to actively try to free him up in the post which they aren't, the ball isn't swinging side to side like it should be.. I honestly don't think he's as motivated on offense since he knows Kobe's going to get the ball in the post on an ISO and Kobe's looking to score... Kobe isn't coming off the PNR looking to get Dwight the ball... and Kobe is the primary ball handler.

Sactown
02-11-2013, 06:52 PM

He takes a lot of risks in the passing lane, but still PG's and Centers still destroy the Heat... he isn't a top 3 defender at his position.. not even top 10

Iron24th
02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
as a fellow laker hater. this has been the best season for me .

Enjoy, you know you never get plenty of seasons like this with the Lakers.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Music to my ears. **** the Lakers.

**** your winless franchise as well buddy.

DaLakerz Rulz
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Enjoy, you know you never get plenty of seasons like this with the Lakers.

The sad part is that some people feel this is "the best season" because the Lakers are losing, rather than their own team winning. I really hope it doesn't come to that for us :p

Lakers Ghost
02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
hey if charlotter picks becomes the #1 pick lakers can get Noel not a bad trade to get rid of howard who I am tired of his attitude.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-11-2013, 07:14 PM

Great post.

zB_#85
02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
i bet if dwight would have went to the nets which he wanted to go in the first place. he would have been playing way better .HE DOES NOT LIKE IT IN LA WITH KOBE . IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT INJURY CRAP

I agree with this. He doesn't like being held accountable and Kobe does just that.

zB_#85
02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
The Lakers need to actively try to free him up in the post which they aren't, the ball isn't swinging side to side like it should be.. I honestly don't think he's as motivated on offense since he knows Kobe's going to get the ball in the post on an ISO and Kobe's looking to score... Kobe isn't coming off the PNR looking to get Dwight the ball... and Kobe is the primary ball handler.

It's not completely about freeing him in the post, it's overlooked a ton that the Lakers have no one who can make an entry pass except Kobe. Even Nash isn't that good at feeding the post, he's a P&R passer. Kobe isn't really feeding the post as often as Dwight would like because of Dwight's unwillingess to give effort elsewhere IMO. If Dwight gave more all around effort and just look more engaged, I actually believe Kobe would feed him more but Kobe is a guy who makes you earn his trust and I don't think Dwight's done that. He just expects the ball and overlooks the fact that he turns it over a ton and the sucess rate of getting the ball into him isn't that great. He doesn't ever look at himself as the problem. Watch a game...Nash, Metta, and the other guys think about passing it into Dwight when he has position but they end up swinging it b/c they don't have confidence in their entry pass. Dwight gets frustrated because he fought for position and wasn't rewarded. Because of that frustration he's not as willing to embrace the P&R, and his effort suffers. It's kind of a vicious cycle and it's a result of a bad fitting roster/coach.

bucketss
02-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Howard has looked disinterested in P&R. He says he wants the ball on the block. No offense, but any team who just dumps the ball down to Howard 10-15 times a game isn't going to win anything

worked in orlando.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
What did Nash say? To me it looked like Howard yelled at Nash first to get him the ball and Nash responded. Probably told him to move his feet and create a passing angle.

Thats normal basketball discussion that happens on the court all the time. I dont understand the title of the thread at all.

It seems like everytime the Lakers lose people want to read into everything that is being said or the slightest comment that is made and have that comment justify what they want to believe is true. Whether it be "Dwight wants out" "Kobe and Dwight hate eachother" "Nash hates Dwight", etc etc etc.

DaLakerz Rulz
02-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Yup its about 20% of his post up possessions according to synergy. He is getting stripped way too often, most of the time before he even has a chance to pass it out (even then we don't have deadly shooters). Regardless, it is really not a good play for the Lakers to rely on at all. Might as well post up Kobe who is 3rd in the league at 1.06 points per post up play. Yet Dwight has TWICE the number of post up opportunities this year...yea Dwight, you really need to be getting the ball down there more :rolleyes:

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-11-2013, 08:04 PM
I will say the offense looks much better when they are not trying to force feed Dwight and worrying about getting him his non productive touches on the box. He needs to realize he is a garbage man. Finish dunks when the defense is broken down, or finish on lobs. That is all he is good for on offense. He should work on the weakside when/if Pau comes back and let Pau be the main offensive big. Dwight wants to be a peacock when in reality he is a bull in a china shop.

LAKERMANIA
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
worked in orlando.

It did?

TheNumber37
02-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Trade him for the best deal available.
It's not like he is the deciding force on whether they make the playoffs or not.

C'mon Hoawrd, even KOBE BRYANT is changing his game.

fresh prince
02-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Dwight has been giving the most half assed pick and roll attempts I have ever seen. His rolls are soft as **** and puts no pressure on the D to double down or overhelp on him. I don't want to hear nonsense about him not being able to pop. Tyson has way less offensive game than Dwight, can't step outside, can't dribble, can't pass, yet is one of the most effective pick and roll guys in the game because he sets tremendous screens and rolls hard or trails the PG for putbacks. Dwight can be extremely effective if he gave a ****. He wants the ball in the post so he can shut up Shaq but Dwight is a horrible post up player.

He is brutal in the post. Its really bad. His go to move ( when he doesnt turn the ball over) is the fade away left handed jump hook.:confused:

beliges
02-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Might be the worst post I have ever seen and that is saying a whole lot considering this is PSD.

CubsBullsBucs
02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Anyone else find it ironic that Metta World Peace is the most calm guy on the team?

Chronz
02-11-2013, 08:36 PM
It's not completely about freeing him in the post, it's overlooked a ton that the Lakers have no one who can make an entry pass except Kobe. Even Nash isn't that good at feeding the post, he's a P&R passer.
Nash made Shaq look young again when they played that style.

D-Leethal
02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
He is brutal in the post. Its really bad. His go to move ( when he doesnt turn the ball over) is the fade away left handed jump hook.:confused:

It is tough to watch him in the post. He has zero awareness for doubles, can't pass even if he saw the double coming, has one go to flip hook that never goes in and if he beats you with a spin or dropstep he just gets hacked before he can dunk it and gets you 1 point if your lucky.

ThaDubs
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd be angry too. Probably one of your last seasons and everybody was expecting you to get your first ring and you're not even going to the playoffs...

beliges
02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
It is tough to watch him in the post. He has zero awareness for doubles, can't pass even if he saw the double coming, has one go to flip hook that never goes in and if he beats you with a spin or dropstep he just gets hacked before he can dunk it and gets you 1 point if your lucky.

This is the most accurate description of Dwight so far this season.

beliges
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I'd be angry too. Probably one of your last seasons and everybody was expecting you to get your first ring and you're not even going to the playoffs...

I think the anger is more directed at Dwight's lack of effort and lackadasical energy as opposed to the team losing. I would say the two main reasons the Lakers have a losing record this season is (1) Because of theri coaching, and (2) Because of Dwight.

If the Lakers had Pau for the entire season and no Dwight, I would all but guarantee theyd be at the very least a #7 seed in the West right now.

sp1derm00
02-11-2013, 08:45 PM
gtfo dwight!

mjt20mik
02-11-2013, 08:46 PM
it's a dysfunctional family.

Kobe wants to win another 'ship so he can call himself as good as MJ.
Nash wants to win his first
Pau's been playing with Kobe long enough to know that if he doesn't play hard, he'll eat it in the media, the locker room,, and just about everywhere else Kobe can get his hands on him.
Howard wants to pose for pictures.

And Metta is just something else

D-Leethal
02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
This is the most accurate description of Dwight so far this season.

I think Dwight has tremendous value as a rich mans Tyson Chandler on steroids. But he thinks hes a Shaq type offensive post player and hes no where near it, and never will be. He needs to focus on his strengths and dominate the facets of the game he can. He will have games he dominates offensively and drops 30-40 the same way Tyson has nights he can drop 20+. But he can't EXPECT it every night, hes gotta let it come to him and expect to dominate defensively and on the glass everynight like the DPOY lock he should be every year.

If hes out there dominating the glass and the interior D, the ball will have a funny way of finding him for dunks. He doesn't seem willing to subscribe to that though. Hes not a guy you forcefeed post ups because if you telegraph the post up, hes a walking turnover.

Chronz
02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Seriously.

He should in theory be great at it, especially with Nash, but he never really has been.

And let's not act like Nash is the PG he was...or is in control of the offense nearly as much as he was in his prime. I think it's a stretch to say he's even close to the primary ball handler.

I think they just picture a former slam dunk champion for a bigman and just assume hes a prolific PnR threat instead of this giant decoy that he is.
Looking at his PnRstats he was 73/84 in fg/a in 2010(including playoffs), 67/82 in 2011, 54/73 in 2012 and
40/54 so far this year.

So yea hes obviously a great finisher but hes getting like 1 attempt a game, the rest of those PnR led to spot-up shots that the Lakers dont have.

Its like they halfassed their construction and just hoped the talent would gel. To put those numbers in perspective, Gortat as Dwights backup scored more as a roller in that same team.

fresh prince
02-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Haahahaha you are on one..

Dwight was a good athlete never a good basketball player.. He doesnt have a single skill other than being athletic. No post game , cant dribble, cant shoot, and he passes like Kwame Brown

He has an ok IQ ON DEFENSE and used to have a high defensive motor. Offensively he doesnt get it.

Meanwhile Steve Nash is one of the most offensively skilled players of our time.. Keep smoking though.

ThaDubs
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Dwight is averaging 16 and 11 on 58% shooting. Similar numbers to AB last season. I think you guys are exaggerating his negative effect on the team because all of you Lakers fans expected Shaq 2.0 or something. You can't blame a whole team's lack of success on just D'Antoni and Dwight. Dwight's numbers are better than for instance Al Horford who most people would consider an all-star but Lakers fans expected Dwight to put up 25 and 15 a night so when his numbers go downhill a little bit everybody's like "he's a cancer, he never does anything for this team, he doesn't score".

ThaDubs
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Dwight was a good athlete never a good basketball player..

He was pretty much MVP of the 10 11 season. How does someone who isn't a good basketball player put up 23 and 14 a night shooting almost 60% surrounded by no talent? It is blatant stupidity to call Dwight a good athlete and nothing more. I hate his guts, but athleticism doesn't get you 7 all-star game appearances, 5 all-NBA 1st team appearances, 3 DPOYs, 4 rebound titles, and 2 block titles. If it did Jamario Moon would be going to Houston this season.

ohreally
02-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Mullens and Gordon.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Dwight is averaging 16 and 11 on 58% shooting. Similar numbers to AB last season. I think you guys are exaggerating his negative effect on the team because all of you Lakers fans expected Shaq 2.0 or something. You can't blame a whole team's lack of success on just D'Antoni and Dwight. Dwight's numbers are better than for instance Al Horford who most people would consider an all-star but Lakers fans expected Dwight to put up 25 and 15 a night so when his numbers go downhill a little bit everybody's like "he's a cancer, he never does anything for this team, he doesn't score".

You are correct when you say his stats are similar to his career averages. I don't think that people are complaining with his production. I think it's his attitude. He keeps talking about getting the ball when he never has gotten the ball a lot in his entire career. He's averaging only 2 less shots per game than last year. And the same amount of attempts in 09/10 when they went to the finals. Kobe is averaging two less shots per game from last years as well. Everyone has to make sacrifices when you have that much talent on the team. But he is the only 1 constantly talking about getting the ball even though he is tied with Artest as the worst offensive player

gauth25
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
To me personally, I think he's a waste of talent. He should be able to do what he wants, when he wants underneath the basket but right now he is getting dummied. I have never seen not be able to finish underneath the rim like he can't now. He used to be able to dunk at will regardless of the hits put on him. He's missed out on so many and-1s. I hope they trade him because he just doesn't have that win at any cost mentality and you can see he's not getting along with everyone else.

Cracka2HI!
02-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Lakers should explore trading Nash and Artest to Toronto for Lowry and Bargnani. Not sure if Toronto still overvalues Nash because he's Canadian but I can't really think of another team that would take him. Nash deserves better and the Lakers are destined to do whatever it takes to keep Howard. Toronto would be a better situation for Nash than the Lakers LOL! I really think they could though. With Nash, Gay, DeRozan, Valancanius? Johnson and Ross they'd make some noise in the lower half of the East playoff bracket.

dodie53
02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TBz2phCgY

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Blurry but funny

Kashmir13579
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Honestly this is awesome.

It was a crappy article.

rapjuicer06
02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Lol Lebron took three steps

rapjuicer06
02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I look at it like this...Dwight isn't getting the "Love" he thought he was going to get. It isn't like in Orlando where Howard could do no wrong. Howard and Kobe's personalities clash, big time. Nash has to take Kobe's side because both are desperate for a championship. Howard isn't healthy. It's clear that he isn't. With Pau out, Dwight is not the scape goat.

And another thing, why on Earth would Dwight want to play with a guy who calls him out to the media, daily. No wonder why Shaq wanted out. Kobe's a douche bag and pisses his teammates off. I mean same thing happened to Bynum last year. He was just clowning around, tired of taking **** from Kobe.

I could honestly see Dwight going back to a small market team. I'd laugh my *** off if he went back to Orlando. Move Vucevic to PF and take Shabazz or McLemore in the draft...you have a sellar team to an title contending team just like that. :p

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I take that back it wasn't blurry my signal just sucked and juice man is right lebron deff took 3 steps

blahblahyoutoo
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
What they need to do if fire D'antoni and bring Phil Jackson back.

his coaching abilities may be better than d'antoni's but phil can't do anything for this low talent headcase.

blahblahyoutoo
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
worked in orlando.

it didn't.

Bruno
02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
this is clearly nashs fault. he and kobe are so unfair to dwight. don't they realize they're playing alongside the next great center? it's time for them to wake up and treat him like the grown man that he is.

blahblahyoutoo
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
He was pretty much MVP of the 10 11 season. How does someone who isn't a good basketball player put up 23 and 14 a night shooting almost 60% surrounded by no talent? It is blatant stupidity to call Dwight a good athlete and nothing more. I hate his guts, but athleticism doesn't get you 7 all-star game appearances, 5 all-NBA 1st team appearances, 3 DPOYs, 4 rebound titles, and 2 block titles. If it did Jamario Moon would be going to Houston this season.

because dwight wouldn't even be in the d league if he weren't 7' tall.
he's only in the league for his size and athleticism.

ThaDubs
02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
because dwight wouldn't even be in the d league if he weren't 7' tall.
he's only in the league for his size and athleticism.

If he were shorter he would have most likely worked on his ball handling, shooting, passing as a kid. If you take the majority of 7 ft athletic people in the world, most of them couldn't even make the NBA, let alone achieve all that D12 has.