PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Undefeated w/out Rondo

CubsBullsBucs
02-10-2013, 10:55 PM
The Celtics have won 7 in a row, including a triple over time win tonight over Denver, who were on a 9 game winning streak entering tonight.

How much damage can they do in the playoffs? Without getting into a Rondo argument, who can they beat?

I really think they can beat Brooklyn and New York. Don't think they have a chance against the Bulls because they have too similar of a style as them and they havent had much success against them the past few years. If they didnt beat Miami last year, i dont think they will this year either. Indiana and Atlanta are odd balls. What teams can and can't they beat in a 7 game series?

4 POINT PLAY LJ
02-10-2013, 11:02 PM
All about the playoffs

ATX
02-10-2013, 11:03 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see the Celtics make it to the ECF.

Big Zo
02-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I think they run out of gas come playoff time. They might take the first round series to 6 or 7 games, but I doubt they advance.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I think they run out of gas come playoff time. They might take the first round series to 6 or 7 games, but I doubt they advance.

The playoff format is perfect for them. And their bench is finally stepping up to the plate for them as well. Wouldn't say they would run out of gas unless if the majority of their remaining games are triple OT games like tonight:laugh2:

justinnum1
02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
you dont want to face the celtics in the first round.

Big Zo
02-10-2013, 11:16 PM
The playoff format is perfect for them. And their bench is finally stepping up to the plate for them as well. Wouldn't say they would run out of gas unless if the majority of their remaining games are triple OT games like tonight:laugh2:

Their age is the problem. I know they've proved the doubters wrong before, but eventually time will catch up to them.

PC
02-10-2013, 11:18 PM
I always felt that Rondo's impact on the Celtics was overstated but I also didn't think they'd win 7 in a row like this either

ManRam
02-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Some of it is telling. Some of it is flukish.

It's amazing how an offense can open up when you take the ball out of one guy's hands and let all 5 guys work together to get things done. Rondo can be tremendous, but I think the value of a ball-dominating extreme pass-first PG who can't score too efficiently is vastly overrated.

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Boston has two amazingly talented players on their roster named Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. Obviously they are going to be able to compete every game. They are not as good without Rondo though, and they are not as deep without Sullinger. When they playoffs role around, that will be tough for them.

Over that last 7 games, the Heat are the only team with a 'great' record that they beat, not including the Clippers who were short handed. The Lakers were likewise shorthanded, and the other teams they beat were: the Kings, The Magic and the Raptors. The win over the Heat was impressive, as was the win over Denver who has been playing very well, but the fact that they've had three games go into over time in the last 8 games indicates that they are struggling to put teams away.

I think in a 7-game series, they would struggle to play at this level each game without the depth they had at the beginning of the season.

Sinattle
02-10-2013, 11:24 PM
So Rondo's trade-able now?

TopsyTurvy
02-10-2013, 11:54 PM
So Rondo's trade-able now?

Rondo is just as trade-able as when Ainge discussed acquiring Chris Paul.

justinnum1
02-10-2013, 11:56 PM
there ball movement is much better, guys are passing to the open man.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Their age is the problem. I know they've proved the doubters wrong before, but eventually time will catch up to them.

Again though, the playoffs they'll get a day or two in between every game to rest up. It isn't like they're going to be playing back to backs in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2013, 01:30 AM

It's amazing how an offense can open up when you take the ball out of one guy's hands and let all 5 guys work together to get things done. Rondo can be tremendous, but I think the value of a ball-dominating extreme pass-first PG who can't score too efficiently is vastly overrated.

Yep. There is a fluke deal going on, but I honestly didn't think the C's would skip a beat without him. The offense stops and dies when he was playing this year, he just overdribbles, looking for his assist.

bholly
02-11-2013, 01:41 AM
A big question is whether they're going to be able to keep their current guys healthy. Pierce has been playing an extra 5mpg since Rondo went down - he's at the usual levels that he plays in the playoffs, far more than he's done in the regular season for a long time. Garnett's up a few minutes per game too. Given their age, that could take its toll.
Chances are looking pretty high that they get to the playoffs, but if they're playing all those minutes to get there, then by the time the rotations shorten in the post-season they could be struggling.

Also worth noting that they haven't necessarily turned anything around just yet. They've been streaky all season. 4 straight losses, followed by 6 straight wins (including vsIND, @ATL, @NYK), then 6 straight losses, then the current 7 straight wins. They're looking good, but it wouldn't exactly be a shock if they dropped back off again, especially with a pretty tough 10-game stretch coming out of the All Star break.

Def agree with Hawkeye that it isn't a huge surprise if they've improved, though, given the way Rondo was playing this season.

tp13baby
02-11-2013, 02:38 AM
The Celtics have won 7 in a row, including a triple over time win tonight over Denver, who were on a 9 game winning streak entering tonight.

How much damage can they do in the playoffs? Without getting into a Rondo argument, who can they beat?

I really think they can beat Brooklyn and New York. Don't think they have a chance against the Bulls because they have too similar of a style as them and they havent had much success against them the past few years. If they didnt beat Miami last year, i dont think they will this year either. Indiana and Atlanta are odd balls. What teams can and can't they beat in a 7 game series?

Im really confused about their winning streak. Its good cause they are wins. Sacremento Toronto and a Pauless Clipp team. Lakers is decent and most games are at home. Solid win over the Heat. And beat a tired Denver team coming off a a game less than 24 hours ago and went 3 overtimes deep.

That being said they have been disappointing this year. I thought they were a top 3 team in the east. But they are experienced and anything can happen if they avoid the Heat in the first round.

DaVille
02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Better description is: Celtics 7-0 since implementing uptempo/ball movement offense. Doc freaking Rivers waited until his allstar point guard went down to finally realize.......hey guys, maybe we should run more and share the ball more. Rondo would have thrived in this new system. Opening up the offense has done wonders for role players like Lee, Green, Barbosa, and Terry.

As far as Celtics playoffs chances, it doesn't matter Miami Heat are going back to the finals. Lebron James just keeps getting better very scary proposition for rest of the league.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
A big question is whether they're going to be able to keep their current guys healthy. Pierce has been playing an extra 5mpg since Rondo went down - he's at the usual levels that he plays in the playoffs, far more than he's done in the regular season for a long time. Garnett's up a few minutes per game too. Given their age, that could take its toll.
Chances are looking pretty high that they get to the playoffs, but if they're playing all those minutes to get there, then by the time the rotations shorten in the post-season they could be struggling.

Also worth noting that they haven't necessarily turned anything around just yet. They've been streaky all season. 4 straight losses, followed by 6 straight wins (including vsIND, @ATL, @NYK), then 6 straight losses, then the current 7 straight wins. They're looking good, but it wouldn't exactly be a shock if they dropped back off again, especially with a pretty tough 10-game stretch coming out of the All Star break.

Def agree with Hawkeye that it isn't a huge surprise if they've improved, though, given the way Rondo was playing this season.

Rondo's injury is a study project to me personally. I saved all possible statistical info at the time he went down, team wise, and will bring it back up later. My theory is the C's won't miss him. Not like they will improve, but they sure as hell won't get worse imho, barring trading away core players.

I just honestly think Rondo is arguably the most overrated player in the league.

Losoway
02-11-2013, 04:18 AM
the celtics look way better without rondo . as good as rondo is he held the ball for wayy too long . its like you almost know who he is going to pass to 88 percent of the time .

the celtics look more free . they still getting killed by the knicks or heat if they meet them in the first round

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2013, 04:19 AM
I don't think they're better as a team overall w/o Rondo (which is why I'm not sure they'll win a round in the playoffs), but I think the players as individuals play better, if that makes sense. Like Pierce clearly looks better w/o Rondo, same with Green and JET. People can also see why Ray Allen hated playing with Rondo....

Guppyfighter
02-11-2013, 06:21 AM
the celtics look way better without rondo . as good as rondo is he held the ball for wayy too long . its like you almost know who he is going to pass to 88 percent of the time .

the celtics look more free . they still getting killed by the knicks or heat if they meet them in the first round
They'd take the Knicks to at least six games.

boateng
02-11-2013, 06:28 AM
It doesn't matter since they won't go far in the playoffs.
People keep making this point. If they were getting bounced out the 1st round with rondo then you would have a point.
They went to the ECF with him last year and he was great against the heat.

boateng
02-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Rondo's injury is a study project to me personally. I saved all possible statistical info at the time he went down, team wise, and will bring it back up later. My theory is the C's won't miss him. Not like they will improve, but they sure as hell won't get worse imho, barring trading away core players.

I just honestly think Rondo is arguably the most overrated player in the league.
Well alot of players like kobe, wade, magic Johnson, lebron all rate rondo highly so i will trust their judgement. Also he is a triple double machine and played great against the heat in the playoffs

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
As long as they stay above the 8th seed, they can get to the 2nd round or further. But if they drop to 8 and Miami stays at the 1, they're going fishing without Rondo.

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Well alot of players like kobe, wade, magic Johnson, lebron all rate rondo highly so i will trust their judgement. Also he is a triple double machine and played great against the heat in the playoffsYeah, Rondo's that x-factor. He's quick and creative. Miami can't really prepare for that. Now he's gone, so they can relax on that part and just crack down on Boston's team play. Pierce isn't going to keep hitting too many contested shots.

Mudvayne91
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Denver was on a back to back within 20 hours while Boston was on 3 days rest, I believe. Honestly, Boston should have won by double digits easily rather than 3 OTs.

hugepatsfan
02-11-2013, 12:24 PM

It's not overrated in theory. The problem is the majority of players like having plays run for them with the ball in their hands rather than moving without it. In this era of basketball, players just don't seem to work on that part of their game as much so a guy like Rondo isn't as useful. It's as much of an indictment on the selfish, iso-heavy style of today's game as it is Rondo. He certainly has his issues as a player, but I truly believe one of the biggest is that he plays in the wrong generation.

bcc
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
The Celtics bench is and will be the key. First off, they cannot afford any more season-ending injuries; Rondo and Sullinger is enough. Second, the bench needs to continue to steadily contribute as they've been doing. Terry seems comfortable now, same with Barbosa and Wilcox, and Jeff Green has been flat-out terrific for about 10 games. Most important, there's not a scenario they'll see from here on that they haven't seen before and they know how to win.
No one wants to see these guys in the Eastern playoffs.
Aside from Miami, they're capable of beating anyone, including Chicago and Indiana.

Rain City
02-11-2013, 01:03 PM

totally agree with how the celts look w/out rondo. however, i think Celts can beat NY in a series, and can prolly push MIA to at least 6 games.

ZHawk1123
02-11-2013, 01:17 PM
The Celtics depth is stepping up huge now... Bradley is playing great... Bass is playing better... Green, Lee and Terry are playing the way we expected them to when they were acquired... Wilcox and Barbosa have been nice surprises... Collins is logging solid minutes... They are extremely deep and every player is playing with 10x more confidence.

They can go far in the playoffs as long as Pierce and KG stay at 100%, which will be hard for them to do given the minutes they have to log in every game to keep the C's afloat.

We'll see... They are certainly a much higher energy, harder working, well oiled machine without Rondo though... It's fun to watch.

I honestly don't think Rondo is a part of the Celtics future and it's becoming more and more evident with every with that they don't need him to be.

Stinkyoutsider
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Garnett and Pierce are playing at another level right now. They're carrying the team together instead of Rondo having to facilitate. It'll be interesting in the playoffs based on who they draw.

I think Pierce can continue being the point forward and do a very good job. I think the Celtics will go as far as their role players take them though. Jason Terry will need to play like the old Jason Terry and Jeff Green will have to turn it up a notch then. But, even without Rondo, I think they have a dangerous team.

bagwell368
02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
The Celts look more like SAS w/o Rondo. Movement. Everyone is in the offense. Assists spread around.

Teams with PG's like Rondo or like Westbrook can be good or very good.

But what you most want is a PG like Paul or Parker. Teams with PG's like that are likely to have have more options, be more slump proof, and keep the guys 1-12 more engaged in the game. Teams like that are more injury to the PG being an issue proof as well.

Big Zo
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I guess this turned out to be a jynx thread. lol

NYJ - NYY
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Bet I'd they had rondo they would have won

mets100%
02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
They played 3 OT yesterday they were dead tired and Doc play Pierce and KG heavy minutes. I knew we were gonna lose.

Wade n Fade
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Change the name of the thread. The Bobcats put a nice pitchfork into the Celtics.

Theyhateme459
02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Bobcats Said Hello!!!!!

We will take them however we can! Just win Baby!!

PC
02-12-2013, 12:07 AM
They obviously weren't going to go undefeated forever but it was a back to back after they played a triple OT

ThaDubs
02-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Celtics undefeated without Rondo.

Aaaaand it's gone (to the Bobcats)!

BlinkManJan02
02-12-2013, 12:29 AM
impressive.

I take that back.

Hawkeye15
02-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Well alot of players like kobe, wade, magic Johnson, lebron all rate rondo highly so i will trust their judgement. Also he is a triple double machine and played great against the heat in the playoffs

the GOAT time ruined a team with his judgment. Forgive me for not really giving any weight at all for some of the better players evaluations of other players.

bagwell368
02-12-2013, 08:22 AM
When Barbosa got hurt I think the Celts were down by 1. Take a close look at Barbosa during the streak, he outplayed Rondo, and if you EQ for the extra minutes Rondo got overall per game, Barbosa easily.

Time to break up the Celts.

yaswaggin
02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Does anyone want rondo though?

He's a cancer to the team, big attitude problem, can't shoot, gambles too much on d, and has the ball too long in his hands

Only teams that would use him are contenders because you can't build around him and every contender already has a good pg

hugepatsfan
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Does anyone want rondo though?

He's a cancer to the team, big attitude problem, can't shoot, gambles too much on d, and has the ball too long in his hands

Only teams that would use him are contenders because you can't build around him and every contender already has a good pg

Rondo's a big name and he's very marketable. Casual fans love the guy. He's every girl's favorite player. There's real value in that. Teams looking to generate buzz will be interested.

DJYankee
02-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Interesting

trueblue83
02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Makes sense, Jason Terry can pass and shoot a jump shot! Garnett and Pierce got lots of miles, they need some help puttn points on the board!

JARVIS123
02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
As long as they stay above the 8th seed, they can get to the 2nd round or further. But if they drop to 8 and Miami stays at the 1, they're going fishing without Rondo.

even if rondo was healthy and play against miami in the playoffs its still a 1st round exit for boston. for the last couple of yrs miami has been a road block for the celtics.

koreancabbage
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
well, Pierce and KG always had it in them. and now they are getting more touches. Nothing new here, they are players.

However, Rondo is still a great PG and when you lose an asset like that, long term- its not healthy.

bcc
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Anyone...such as myself...who noted yesterday that Boston's playing great but absolutely cannot afford another injury, please step forward. It's not like Barbosa is a star but he was a player they could not afford to lose. Now they have no PG's going forward. Season over.
Were it not for bad luck these guys would have no luck at all.

boateng
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Rondo's a big name and he's very marketable. Casual fans love the guy. He's every girl's favorite player. There's real value in that. Teams looking to generate buzz will be interested.

How anyone can call Rondo a ''Cancer'' when Boston have always been competitive with him as their PG is beyond me.
Cancerous players are players whose the team they play for never go anywhere in the playoffs or whatever.

boateng
02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
the GOAT time ruined a team with his judgment. Forgive me for not really giving any weight at all for some of the better players evaluations of other players.

Erm by players like Kobe, and Magic i will trust on their judgement on a PG.

Guppyfighter
02-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Erm by players like Kobe, and Magic i will trust on their judgement on a PG.

Michael Jordan is obviously a really good GM. Cause he was good at basketball.