PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard overrated?

hail2skins4life
02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
I think so. Now I'm not sure how he is going to play when he isn't injured anymore. But as of right now, that dude is so overrated.

I mean at this point I don't even know if he is an asset or a liability on offense. I mean he has absolutely no ability to finish at the rim. I have seen it go on all season long. He is 2 feet from the rim, looks like he is going to dunk it, but instead throws up some ridiculous looking layup while getting fouled, then goes and bricks his 2 free throws. How do you guard Howard? Just foul him. He never finishes at the rim, so it will never be a 3 pt play.

And of course his defense is pretty mediocre this year. I don't know if him becoming 100% will change that or not.

But at this point, I'm not sure I don't take Bynum over Howard. They both *****ed it out in a lot of games and have been no shows. But at least Bynum has an offensive game.

I think the Lakers should have kept Bynum. Thoughts?

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
hes like 50% right now. bynum hasn't played a single game this season. and is this your first time watching d12 this season?

Hawkeye15
02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I generally need a much larger sample size to start sliding players up/down. For instance, it took me until this year to just flat out drop Deron down a bunch of spots on the PG ranking, he has been this way for 2.5 years. It will take another couple of years to just all of a sudden drop Dwight down the ladder. Let him get healthier and lets see what he looks like then.

hail2skins4life
02-10-2013, 05:04 PM
hes like 50% right now. bynum hasn't played a single game this season. and is this your first time watching d12 this season?

I think he is a little better than 50%. And no,anybody who has been watching D12 this season has had to have noticed his incredible ability to blow shots 2 feet from the rim. The dude cannot finish whether he gets fouled or not

Sactown
02-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I think he is a little better than 50%. And no,anybody who has been watching D12 this season has had to have noticed his incredible ability to blow shots 2 feet from the rim. The dude cannot finish whether he gets fouled or not

Doesn't look like he has his legs under him, clearly he isn't near full health

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I generally need a much larger sample size to start sliding players up/down. For instance, it took me until this year to just flat out drop Deron down a bunch of spots on the PG ranking, he has been this way for 2.5 years. It will take another couple of years to just all of a sudden drop Dwight down the ladder. Let him get healthier and lets see what he looks like then.

^

Tmath
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I got a question.

Is Drummond overrated?

ManRam
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Overrated? Underrated? Who knows. It all depends on how you rate him. Nothing he did in Orlando was overrated though...he was as valuable as anyone ever could have suggested.

If one thing is for sure, it's that he's not even close to 100%.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
He's injured.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-10-2013, 05:57 PM

lol same with me.. i had him top 3 until i saw the garbage display of basketball he is showing us this season lol what a total waste.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I still think he's a game changer defensively, offensively tho, there's a little more to be desired.

beliges
02-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I still think he's a game changer defensively, offensively tho, there's a little more to be desired.

Offensively he's almost a complete liability. He has a terrible post up game, he turns the ball over at a high rate, he's poor at handling the double team and his free throw shooting is among the worst in the league. Clearly he's not 100% right now but Dwight is a one dimensional player and he needs to just play to dominate on the boards and defensively.

mjt20mik
02-10-2013, 06:17 PM
He's injured.

beliges
02-10-2013, 06:42 PM
He's injured.

Lots of people are injured right now. No excuse for his lack of effort. He's been cleared by doctors to play for a while now.

ne3xchamps
02-10-2013, 06:57 PM
No he's not. Once he's 100%, your opinion will change. The lakers OTOH, are vastly overrated. Some people in this forum were crowing the lakers champs when they got D12 and nash... look at them now.

Cracka2HI!
02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I've been saying he is all year, but now I think he's just hurt. He sucks on offense right now for sure. I also think he's a bad fit on the Lakers and playing with Kobe. They should trade him IMO.

TopsyTurvy
02-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Dwight isn't overrated. If he declared his intentions to become a free agent this summer, he would draw the attention of a good majority of the league and rightfully so. He's the most dominant defensive big in the league and instantly catapults whatever team he plays for into what, the top five in rebounding?

Expectations and injuries are the only things holding Dwight back, and both of those will heal over time.

justinnum1
02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
He is hurt. Bosh outplayed him tonight, that says it all.

Shlumpledink
02-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I never thought he was great offensively, I think that part of his game has been overrated by the system he played in. His defense has been poor this year mostly due to injury. If you watch him now, you can see how he's lacking his explosiveness and quickness. He still can block a few shots and get to some rebounds, but he noticeably lacks leaping ability.

What made his defense so fantastic was his motor, he would run around constantly on defense and challenge anything and everything, this year you can see he doesn't have that same motor. His conditioning has also been impacted by his injury, he didn't have the offseason to train his explosiveness and conditioning.

He really looks like he is running through mud sometimes, he does not have his legs yet. Not having your legs in basketball effects everything relating to the game

ManRam
02-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Dwight made fantastic strides offensively the last two seasons in Orlando. He was at the point where you kinda could force the ball to him and he'd get an easy basket. Not working too well this year.

And I don't think I buy the effort thing either? He's not showing any less effort than the rest of that team, including Kobe. He's just not able to cover as much ground defensively it seems like. He's moving when he should, it's just the explosiveness and speed isn't there. He's not the same, and it's not something you can chalk off as being an effort problem.

FOXHOUND
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I think it's two parts.

First, I think he's still recovering from his injury, and disc problems are no joke. Larry Johnson had a herniated disc in the 90's and that completely ruined his career in terms of individual production. Knowledge and medicine have come a long way since then, but unless they're turning him into an android the human body is still the human body.

Second, D' Antoni is a horrendous coach and Dwight is a horrendous fit for his system. I do think he is whining far too much and making far too many excuses instead of just focusing and taking the advice of legends like Kobe and Nash, but he's also being put in a bad situation to individually succeed and is recovering from a serious injury.

I would say he is overrated though, or at least he has dropped in terms of his impact on the court. A better system would help, but one day Dwight is going to have to stop working hard on excuses and start working hard on his game, and the many improvements he can still make as a player.

The main thing that has annoyed me is how much of a baby he has been about getting the ball. His post game is good at best, with his physical dominance largely accounting for the success he has there. His pick n roll game is garbage, I'm sorry. If you can't run it with Steve Nash then you clearly have to get much better at it. He's playing with some amazing talent on offense, he should be taking on that Tyson Chandler role IMO, and of course he should be even better at it.

All that being said, he is still clearly the best center in the NBA. That is also mainly by default, which is another discredit to him as he should be far more dominant as a result. The gap he once had on the second center is not nearly as large as it was. He's gotten better offensively over the years but for some reason he just hasn't matched the impact he had from the 2009 and 2010 seasons, at least in my eyes.

FOXHOUND
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM

I agree, I feel the exact same way as a Deron. He dipped a bit for me last year, but I still considered him elite. Now? Not even close, he's just a mess now.

I think a difference between them though is that the PG position is incredibly stacked where as C, while improving, is still pretty weak. It would take a lot for Dwight to drop to the play of that 2nd C, but I think he's closed that gap a bit where as he should have blew it to an astronomical distance with the talent he's with now.

KnicksorBust
02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Never in NBA History has 16ppg/12rpg/2bpg on 58% FG been so abused.

raiderposting
02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
In 3-4 years Drummond will be knocking on the door as best center anyway

Sly Guy
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
no, he's just injured.

Shkelqim
02-10-2013, 11:44 PM
He has no passion. Great athlete just sucks as a team player.